A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 26th, 2016, 12:58 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Dominique Miceli who I believe works for the Calabrian Tourism Organisation has just sent me material promoting an organised one week Archaeology trip.
Cost per person for a minimum of 10 persons with flights, half board, travel costs, tour guide etc is a reasonable €780.
This itinerary has given me further insight on places for me to visit when I am in Calabria with time to spare.
Contact details
Via dei Salici, 7 - Siderno (RC) - Tel. 0964 381397 - Fax. 0964 380540
www.ladianoviaggi.it - info@ladianoviaggi.it

GREEK AND ROMAN ARCHEOLOGY WEEK IN CALABRIA:

1st day – Arrival:
Arrival at Lamezia Terme Airport, transfer to Capo Vaticano to check in to the Agriturismo
Villa Mantineo; welcome drinks, dinner followed by slideshow presentation of the next day
program.

2nd day – Vibo Valentia / Rosarno
Departure after breakfast for Vibo Valentia; guided tour of the Archaeological areas (St
Aloe, the Greek Walls and Persephone Temple) and Archaeological Museum hosted in the
Norman-Swabian Castle of Vibo Valentia, which displays artefacts from the Greek-Roman
colony. Lunch break (lunch not included). Afternoon transfer to Rosarno to visit the
Archaeological Museum. Return to the Agriturismo, dinner followed by slideshow
presentation of the next day program.

3rd day - Locri - Casignana – Naniglio:
Departure after breakfast for Locri; guided tour of the archaeological areas of the Greco-
Roman city and the small museum. Bergamot liquor tasting. Lunch break (lunch not
included). Afternoon transfer to Casignana to visit the Roman villa with beautiful
polychrome mosaics flooring; after transfer in Gioiosa Ionica to visit the Roman villa
Naniglio. Return to the Agriturismo, dinner followed by slideshow presentation of the next
day program

4th day - Crotone - Scolacium
Departure after breakfast for Crotone; guided tour of the Archaeological Park of Capo
Colonna and the Archaeological Museum, exhibiting votive objects and architectural
fragments from the sanctuary Hera Lacinia and the precious treasure of the same divinity.
Lunch break (lunch not included). Afternoon transfer to Scolacium to visit the
archaeological park of the Romanesque Basilica, the Theatre and the Roman Forum, and
the Museum containing statues of the Roman period found in the archaeological area.
Return to the Agriturismo, dinner followed by slideshow presentation of the next day
program.

5th day - Zungri
Departure after breakfast for Zungri, small rural village, where you will visit the Museum
of rural Civilisation and the Rock settlement of Sbariati dating back to the XII-XIV century
a.C.. Return to the Agriturismo, free afternoon for individual activities and/or walk to the
beach. Dinner followed by slideshow presentation of the next day program

6th day – Sibari:
After breakfast departure to Sibari; visit the Archaeological Park of the Greek Sybaris, the
Panhellenic Thurii and the Roman Copia, and the Archaeological Museum of Sibari.
Lunch break (lunch not included). Return to the Agriturismo, dinner followed by
slideshow presentation of the next day program.

7th day – Reggio Calabria - Taureana:
Departure after breakfast to Reggio Calabria; guided tour of the Archaeological Museum
which displays, among other artefacts, statues of famous heroes came from the sea, the
Riace Bronzes, the most significant archaeological sites of the city Greek-Roman and
promenade called the most beautiful kilometre in Italy. Lunch break (lunch not included).
Afternoon transfer to Taureana: visit the archaeological park of Taureani where they were
found several structures propostorical age, Brettian age, Grecian-Roman and medieval
age. Return to the Agriturismo, drinks and farewell dinner.

8th day - Return:
After breakfast departure for the airport and catch return flights

PostPosted: February 26th, 2016, 7:18 pm 

Thanks David, very useful for ideas of places to visit. I've been to Capo Vaticano, Vibo Valentio, Reggio but none of the others.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2016, 12:00 pm 

It certainly seems terrific value. I assume that's flights from Stansted?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2016, 12:41 pm 

Hello Evie,
If you are interested in visiting archeological sites, the Magna Graecian Temples and Museum at Paestum are definitely worth a visit. These 5th Century BC Temples are in a good state of presevation (maybe even better) than the ones you can see in The Valley of the Temples at Agrigento in Sicily.
Paestum is located just south of Salerno and it took me about five hours to drive from Capo Vaticano, so an overnight stay is necessary from where I am based in Calabria. There are a number of small hotels adjacent to the Archaelogical Park.
Be careful where you drive as I got fined for driving past the Park and stopping to take photographs of the Temples to take advantage of the early morning sun illuminating them. I didn't see any 'Restrictive Area' signs that morning and the road was being used by all types of vehicles in the day and evening before!!

PostPosted: February 27th, 2016, 12:47 pm 

Helo gsullymorgan,
I will have to contact the organisers to find this out.
Cofion

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2016, 4:16 pm 

Thanks David, Paestum sounds good. Sometimes I fly from Dublin to Naples and stay in Naples/Sorrento so will consider it when next there.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2016, 12:28 pm 

Hi Evie,
If you are flying into Naples and driving south the stop off in Paestum would be so easy for you.
You won't regret visiting Paetum.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2016, 12:30 pm 

I thought that the price was too good to be true. The price of €780 does not include the flight to Lamezia. Even so, the tour is reasonably priced with transport, B&B, English speaking tour guide included. Lunches, admission fees not included.