A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 1:21 pm 

Hi All, Has anyone else bought an apartement here? It is at Zambrone with views of Tropea. I have not heard from agent (MRI) or lawyer since October 2008.
Many thanks
Penny

Report this post
PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 1:34 pm 
My understanding is that this development is already completed.

Report this post

PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 1:54 pm 

Hi, That is worrying. I have paid my 30% and my preliminary contract says the rest of the money will be paid August 31st 2009. My lawyer left the firm of Martinez-Echevarria, Perez , Ferrero. I have not had any communication from his replacement since October 2008. My emails to my last contacts at MRI Oversea have all failed.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 2:13 pm 

Welcome Penny to the forum. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble contacting MRI and Lawyers. I am sure you will get some helpful suggestions through here and there may be someone in the area who will look at the site for you.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 2:20 pm 

hi penny, we have the same lawyers on a different development , but try this contact she should get back to you.

catherine.ierfone@martinezechevarria.com

Report this post
PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 7:54 pm 

hi penny , welcome , i too have same lawyers and different development and just to concur with grogdog , try that mail address , you should get a fairly quick response . wish you all the best .

Report this post
PostPosted: June 8th, 2009, 8:10 pm 

The IPLC has represented some clients there and could possbily put you in touch with the builder. The development is indeed completed and looking good.

http://www.internationalpropertylaw.com/

Hope this helps.

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 9th, 2009, 12:17 pm 

we have purchased on phase 1,MRI have pulled out of Calabria,is is all a bit of a mess,but phase 1 is complete and i believe phase 2 is underway,there are lots of ongoing problems,but if you want to pm me i can put you intouch with many buyers on phase 1,we have been helping each other through the ongoing problems
mark

Report this post
PostPosted: June 9th, 2009, 6:17 pm 

Hi all, thank you for your help. Catherine from the Martinex Echevarria law firm has replied and is going to help me. Catherine says the program will not happen until 1st quarter 2010. I can not recover my money before the completion date August 31st and that will involve court. So thank you all for your help. At least I know now.
Kind regards
Penny

Report this post
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 5:13 pm 

Hi we have purchased in phase 2 also and have been struggling to get info as you have been. We finally spoke to Louis from Martinex Echevarria law firm and he said the same as your contact. We need to wait until August to do anything. Court sounds like fun - did they say anything else at all about what this might mean?

We got a call out of the blue from MRI today saying that they have grave concerns about the development of this property and that the main guy - Daryll? from MRI will be in Birmingham this weekend and is trying to arrange 1:1 meetings with all clients in this development. Has anyone else heard this and is anyone going? We are trying to get him to call us instead but don't hold out much hope. Maybe we should gather more people and club together?

thanks
Fi

Report this post
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 5:28 pm 

Reminds me of a previous situation. where a firm got people on one to one basis, to sell another development in another country. Cannot remember where this was on the forum. Maybe someone else with a better memory can advise you further.

Beware as you will still have a contract to purchase the original property and the new property may have other or similar problems.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 5:56 pm 

This situation seems to be identical to what we are experiencing with La Marinate - ie an email from the solicitor telling us that the land licence has been granted illegally and so the developer is now going through legal process.

My husband and I did meet with MRI Fri (after a last minute call from them inviting us to Stanstead). The meeting was as we predicted before we arrived ie disappointing. Macanthony appeared to shake hands on arrival then left us with his talkative staff. After showing us a letter from the solicitors (which was in our inbox by the time we got home) their aim was to sell us a property in the Silver Coast (Portugal) They claimed to offering discount given our 'trouble' which (surprise surprise) would make it the same price as our Calabrian investment. They seemd to think we would make a decision there and then.

When pushed they denied advising Calabria was completely dead but definitely wanted us to beleive this would be the case (from their epxerience etc) so we should invest in their alternative property. They did admit to closing their office down in Calabria and were making out they had no reason to continue.

My husband pointed out we are not doing anything until the position in Calabria is resolved! We would only then decided what next (and it wouldn't be with MRI if we do progress!)

We've also received an email from them re Prendacase and no reply to my email asking for clarity given this is the estate agent nmaed on the contract!

What a fun life!

This post was on the West Coast Property Thread and then Santa Venere thread. Take care!!!!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 7:13 pm 

fidee wrote:
Hi we have purchased in phase 2 also and have been struggling to get info as you have been. We finally spoke to Louis from Martinex Echevarria law firm and he said the same as your contact. We need to wait until August to do anything. Court sounds like fun - did they say anything else at all about what this might mean?

We got a call out of the blue from MRI today saying that they have grave concerns about the development of this property and that the main guy - Daryll? from MRI will be in Birmingham this weekend and is trying to arrange 1:1 meetings with all clients in this development. Has anyone else heard this and is anyone going? We are trying to get him to call us instead but don't hold out much hope. Maybe we should gather more people and club together?

thanks
Fi

hi fi , i am purchasing in le marinate , same situation as santa venere , all caught up in court actions , am i right in thinking that you received a letter from martinez telling you that sunset tropea has been sealed pending outcome of court action ? is your builder casa del sole ? there are enough references to mri on the forum for you to get a clearer picture of their operation , failing that check out ripoffreports and type in mri .

Report this post
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 10:00 am 

Thanks! I won't waste my time going to see them in birmingham the last thing i need right now is another prospective property! How gullible do they think we are?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 10:19 am 

Will,

Thanks for the help - we are not quite as far progressed as that - just big delays at the mo and the lawyer is just telling us we have to wait until the end of August before we can look at options. Different builder too - Salamo Roberto. There seems to be some real horror stories out there. What a mess.

Fi

Report this post
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 2:48 pm 

Update regarding the call from MRI (Amy) to go to Birmingham for a 1:1 this weekend. She was all sweetness until I told her we weren't interested in going to Birmingham because we had read on the forum that this was been used as a sales pitch and we were not interested in being sold another property. She got quite uppity and said they hadn't had one of these before.
Apparently they are going to put a note on our file now to say that they offered to help us and we refused to come up to meet them and be helped, so that when it does all go wrong they will not be there for us. As they haven't proved to be very helpful anyway I'm not exactly quaking in my boots. Anyway to cut a long story short she said that as I'd chosen to believe the forum rather than them she hoped that when it does all go wrong that the forum will be there to help us because MRI wouldn't! I replied "my contract is between us and the builders not MRI" to which she replied good luck and put the phone down - nice!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 2:51 pm 

Was the call recorded for purposes of training?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 3:09 pm 

Its funny that she mentioned, more than once, that "when it goes wrong" as they obviously expect it to!!!!!

Keep posting and others may join in for you.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 3:15 pm 

Don't know if this is true or helpful but the general concensus on the West Coast is that MRI were kicked out of Calabria because they didn't have the proper licences (i.e. to sell). Has anyone else heard this?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 4:20 pm 

fidee

if ever you need help the people on this forum will try to help you as best they can, ive learnt lots on this forum, ive said it before and i will say it again i would of been so lost without it.

cheers

Diane :)

Report this post
PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 1:48 pm 

Hi Fidee, Well guess what ? Amy must have been given a script because we had nearly an identical speech !!!!! Until this last week I had not heard from them anyway. Let us hope that building will resume soon and we may with a bit of luck be sharing a bottle of wine by this time NEXT year. We have an added worry. Our insurance document (that is in Italian) and should protect our 30%, says another apartment number and a slightly different price. Whoops !!!!
PennyB

Report this post
PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 1:50 pm 

Margomac wrote:
Its funny that she mentioned, more than once, that "when it goes wrong" as they obviously expect it to!!!!!

Keep posting and others may join in for you.

Even funnier that she said they hadn't been to Stansted when you clearly met up with them there !!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: June 12th, 2009, 6:29 pm 

Hello everyone. Today I have been trying to find out why I could not contact MRI earlier this year. Well today I have found that they are now
called :- DCC International Property
Edificio Panorama, Ctra. de Cadiz 183
29600 Marbella, Malaga, Spain tel:(+34)952 920 121
fax(+34)952 920 192
Established in 2008, is a company borne from years of hard-won experience of various roles within the overseas property sector !!!!!!!!!!
PennyB

Report this post
PostPosted: July 1st, 2009, 8:47 pm 

Hi All,

At last I found some people who have bought in Sunset Tropea Phase II - you don't know how much of a relief it is! I've seen a lot of posts about over developments but finally found this one about Sunset Tropea.

Anyway, I like many of you are in the same boat and got a call from "Amy" a couple of weeks ago and got very annoyed with me when I said I could make the 2 hour trip to Birmingham - of which after hearing what they were trying to do am very glad I didn't go.

My documents say that the work was supposed to be completed by the end of June and MRI would have a month to do the checks (snagging list) and everything sorted and the official handover date is at the end of July 2009.
I got some pictures last month from Louis and Sandra at Martinez Chevarria say that the work had started and would be completed by the first quarter of 2010, my only worry in that is that the insurance policy runs out at the end of the 1st quarter and I'm wondering if they are trying to pull a fast one?
I was told by the lawyers that I must wait until after the July deadline if I wanted to anything more about it (like take the builders to court) but this would probably take about 2 years - which seems the standard reply when you threaten legal action.

I am signed up with http://www.mri-sg.org who have got lots of other complaints about MRI, I suggest people checkout this site. It seems that a lot of bodies (newspapers/tv shows) are investigating MRI at the moment.

Last edited by BhawnaG on July 14th, 2009, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 14th, 2009, 12:26 pm 

Hi

Has anyone heard anymore about what's going on with Sunset Tropea pahse II? Is there anyone living near by that may be able to take some snaps - it would be be most appericated.

Thanks.
Bhav.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 1:55 pm 

Hi Bhav,
I am waiting on news of Sunset Tropea 2 also. My deadline is end August. My insurance guarantee runs out March 2010. I heard from Catherine at Martinez-Echevarria on 9th June. Catherine said they would check with developer to find out why there is a mistake in the insurance policy. Her last sentence was "we will keep you informed". I heard again on 10th to confirm I could not have money back before completion date due to Italian Law.The mistake was wrong apartment No. and amount on ins. document. I have not heard anymore from lawyers.
I have heard from other sources that the developer (Mr Salamo) has sold to another builder. I have not had this information from my lawyer to confirm this.
I would also like a photo if anyone has one. I have not had a photo since this time last year.
Penny

Report this post
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 2:35 pm 

Hi Penny,

I had a couple of photo's sent to me by Sandra at Martinez but they just show the land with one digger on it!
If you want to pm me your email address I'll forward it on to you.

Yesterday I saw that a few of the apartments in Phase I that are being rented out, was hoping I would catch a glimpse of building work in the back ground but couldn't see anything.

I like everyone else have been told by Louis that we have to wait until August before we can do anything. I also spoke to a guy called David from CFP (a couple of weeks ago) who said he spoke to the developer and work is still continuing although slowly, but funnily enough he wouldn't give me any contact details for him. Make of that what you will :-)

Kind Regards
Bhav

Report this post
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 2:57 pm 

Hi Penny,

Whereabouts in Zambrone are Sunset Tropea phases1 & 2?

Are they within the yellow painted complex just above Zambrone Station on the way up to Zambrone?

If so is Phase 2 to be built on the same site? We went past this is June and there was no work going on, but this may not be Sunset Tropea - let me know.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 3:10 pm 

Hi Tuffareo.
Do not know what colour they are.
The site was on incline next to coast road. You go from site under road and pass waterpark on beach.
Phase 1 is finished but I have had no photo's since summer last year.
Many thanks
Penny

Report this post
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 3:53 pm 

Hi Penny,
There are two blocks there, which appear to be finished and if it sounds as though this is the same place I was unable to see any further work being carried out.

Where was phase 2 to be situated?

Report this post
PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 5:10 pm 

Thanks Tuffareo,
If looking out to sea from behind site, then phase 2 would be to the left. If looking up from coast road, then phase 2 would be to the right.
PennyB

Report this post
PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 5:43 pm 

I do not know when you are going out next, but we are out at the end of September so if you want any pictures taken then let me know.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 9:36 pm 
I drove past phase one today which is completed, i could not see any evidence of progress on phase two either left or right of phase 1 but will post photographs shortly so everyone is clear what has been built.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 19th, 2009, 2:05 pm 

Thanks Mark. That would be great.
PennyB

Report this post
PostPosted: August 19th, 2009, 2:05 pm 

Thanks Mark. That would be great.
PennyB

Report this post
PostPosted: August 24th, 2009, 4:36 pm 

FYI All - Just had another call from the lovely Amy re Sunset Tropea - MRI are having another meet and greet! I told her I wasn't interested.
Anybody heard anything new about our situation?

Report this post
PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 10:08 pm 

Hi all,

My wife and I put a booking deposit on a unit in sunset of tropea phase 2. At that first stage we were shown drawings of what the development was going to look like. When we eventually recieved the contract I noticed that changes had been made to the site layout etc. I revisited the site in Calabria and decided to pull out of the development. In the meantime however the solicitors we used had paid the booking deposit over to Mr. Salamo (the developer).

I tried to get the booking deposit back through MRI and Martinez (the solicitors) but no luck. I got in touch with another firm of solicitors who did a lot of work on my behalf. They finally got in touch with the developer (Mr. Salamo), who said that he would not return my deposit because he did not make changes to the original plans.

The solicitors have said I could take a civil action against him but it would take some time and as we all know courts can be a lottery. I know we were lucky only to have put down a booking deposit but I'm just wondering if anybody else can verify that changes were made to the original plans, it would strengthen my resolve to take the action against this "developer".

Regards,

ColumC

Report this post
PostPosted: August 29th, 2009, 10:20 am 

ColumC, Your situation is exactly the same as mine. I pulled out because of the changes. The lawyers said I would get my money back when they got it from the developer. But they keep saying now that he won't send it back. I'm just glad I didn't pay any further money to them and have put it down to experience.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 29th, 2009, 10:44 am 

fidee wrote:
FYI All - Just had another call from the lovely Amy re Sunset Tropea - MRI are having another meet and greet! I told her I wasn't interested.
Anybody heard anything new about our situation?

Hi fidee, yes we did. This time it was a young lady called Elly. We did go as it was so near to us (Stansted) & I had questions I wanted answers to. We met European Sales Dir. We were not pushed to buy another property. We were not sure after we left (in there for perhaps 1/2 hr ) what we had gained.We came away with the impression we will not see our 30%.We did point out though that alot of the promises made by Darragh in his mri DVD had not been met.
I have learnt through research that our insurance co. Fidicomm is in trouble for selling illegal licenses. You can PM me if you want.
Oh, Elly did say mrioverseas now has new premises in Marbella. I asked about DCCoverseas at their old address in Marbella and she said that was not them.
Penny

Report this post
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 10:41 am 

we was at our apt on phase 1 last week,and there is no progress on phase 2,when we was there in July there was a heavy digger on site,this was not there this time,
hope this helps
mark

Report this post
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2009, 12:00 pm 

Hi Mark, Thank you for update. I am down today. I feel sad that Calabria will not happen for us. The insurance was not worth the paper it was written on.
Fidicomm (the ins firm) according to the web are fraudulent. I feel let down by other parties involved.

Penny

Report this post
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 1:11 pm 

PennyB wrote:
fidee wrote:
I have learnt through research that our insurance co. Fidicomm is in trouble for selling illegal licenses. You can PM me if you want.
Oh, Elly did say mrioverseas now has new premises in Marbella. I asked about DCCoverseas at their old address in Marbella and she said that was not them.
Penny

Hi Penny - can't seem to be able to PM, not sure what has happened there. I asked our lawyer re Fidicomm and he said that he was not aware of anything untowards there. I will try and sort the PM thing out.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 6:22 pm 

Hi Fidee,
PM's are not working are they? I also asked Martinezechavarria if they had done checks on insurance firm and they were happy. I am not as I put FidiComm into the web search and it looked as though there was trouble in Italy for them.
Bhav has my email address if you want to contact me.
Penny

Report this post
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 12:04 pm 

Will do thanks Penny

Report this post
PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 12:55 pm 

Hi all,

Does anybody know whether any group has been formed by the individual buyers of units in Sunset of Tropea to take a group legal action against the "developer" or the solicitors (Martinez) since they paid over monies to this guy without carrying out proper due diligence on either the "developer" or the site.

Regards

Report this post
PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 1:23 pm 

Feel free to contact us, we already successful assisted a client to recover her deposit from the law firm Martinez, in the development Uliveto phase II.

VFL & Partners International Law Firm
Palazzo Cappelleri, Via Cappelleri s.n.c. 89047
Roccella Jonica (RC) Italy
Tel.-Fax +39 (0) 964 866895 – tel +39 (0) 964 310562 - mob. +39 329 4478642
info@vfllawyers.co.uk
www.vfllawyers.co.uk

Report this post