A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 8:36 pm 

About a year ago I made a complaint directly to Barclays at their HQ (1,Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London E14 5HP) about the lack of communication and poor service I was receiving from Barclays Italia.

They acknowledged the standard of service was not up to that expected from an international bank and said they would endeavour to sort out the problems I had.

Unfortunately over the last 6 months the poor service and lack of communication has started again and I am again contacting Barclays HQ and re-opening my original complaint.

I'm now faced with a number of issues which have grown and are still outstanding, and which could have been resolved quickly:

1) IF, I knew who to contact directly (when I first started with Barclays Italia I had a nominated person I could contact who was helpful and replied fairly promptly). .This now longer happens

2) IF, when I send emails they were acknowledged when received (which I consider a basic courtesy) even if they cannot be dealt there and then. I have sent numerous emails and none have been replied to – so left in limbo

3) IF, when phoning, the English option worked. Try and press the English option and you'll get a recorded message in Italian! Or be left holding on building up a large phone bill if phoning from the UK

4) IF, alternatively the switchboard staff could be more helpful and put you through directly but they repeat the options to press keys which again gives you the recorded message in Italian!

The original Barclays Italia online banking site was in Italian and English.
When the new improved online banking system was introduced it was in Italian only- an English version was to follow – it never materialised.

The Token system was introduced (with much hassle ) to improve security (GOOD), only to be partially redundant a few months later. Now access to the account can be gained with only your codice utents (user-name) and password- a backward step as passwords can easily be broken. Admittedly money transfers can only occur with the Token but having one step access makes it easier for snoopers and identity fraud

Is Barclays Italia living up to Barclays 5 core values / principles as put forward by Antony Jenkins, Group Chief Executive, Barclays Bank Plc:

Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence, Stewardship ?

I would appreciate any comments from forum members

PostPosted: March 1st, 2014, 10:08 pm 

Tuedio

How well you've summed up the situation with Barclays Italy.

If you want additional backing when putting forward your complaint I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum who would willingly add their names!!

Lorica

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2014, 12:13 pm 

i can vouch for the level of incompetence+lack of communication!! For such a huge institution the level of customer service is appalling.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2014, 12:22 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I agree with the comments regarding the appalling customer services that we as 'foreign' clients receive from BB Italia in replying to emails, promises to ring back etc.
I must say though that a few weeks ago when I telephoned their Customer Services on 0039 02 4037 8205 ( then 2 for an English speaker which has changed from 5 previously) I had no problems getting to speak to an English speaker and she dealt with my query about anti-laundering money query efficiently.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2014, 9:47 pm 

for the amount of monthly fees we are having to pay I would expect nothing but a 5 star service but from where I am sitting I would appreciate "any" service! Fed up to the teeth with Barclays and if I was able to move my account somewhere else I would certainly do so but saying that I did have a local bank in Isca to begin with and that was not much better... Barclays Italia must be making a packet from all of use investors and its about time we all did something about it....any suggestions?

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 10:58 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I have a Barclays Progressive account which costs me €3 / month but it limits you to €250 ATM withdrawal / day and a limit of €1500 / month.
They charge a fee for every ATM withdrawal and the use of Bancomat (Direct Debit) on your card.
Every time they send you a statement eg monthly statement, everytime a transfer is made or taken from the account.
I now take cash out with me and have changed my account so I do not receive statements etc. although I still get the odd letter from them.
My quarterly fee has been about €18 so will be interested to see what it is next time.
The cost is relatively cheap but costly considering the poor service we get.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 12:03 pm 

It sounds to me as though we ought to join together in sending Barclays Client Services and Reclami/Complaints a letter outlining our concerns.

Lorica

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 12:42 pm 

I'm pleased a good number of forum members have taken the time to read and sometimes comment on my posting of 1.3.2014 , 8.36pm

We can all moan and nothing will get done.

I want to be constructive by pointing out to Barclays HQ, here in the UK, the areas where the Barclays Italia subsidiary is failing their clients and give them a chance to respond.

Barclays HQ may be completely unaware of the service issues clients at Barclays Italia (part of the Barclays Group) are facing. It appears doubtful these issues are communicated upwards to the HQ and so remain within Barclays Italia itself.

The main issue I have as I have mentioned in my initial posting, is my emails are not acknowledged when they are received. As I have spent a lot of money on unfruitful phone calls from the UK emails are my preferred method of contacting Barclays Italia so it's important for me to know that my email has got through and is being dealt with.

The areas where I would wish to see improvement are:-

Acknowledgement of emails- poor at present

A more helpful switchboard to non-resident clients

The re- introduction of the promised English version of the online banking site

An explanation of why increased security (the Token) was introduced for security only to be relaxed a little later to a level that is worse than that in place before

Would other members like to list areas where they would like to see improvement

PostPosted: March 4th, 2014, 2:23 pm 

I would like Barclays to have told me my branch at Via Turati was closing last year and my account transferred to another branch. I would have liked the address,email,phone number and an email address of a person at that new branch I could contact if I had an queries .... none of these things happened!! I only found out the branch had closed when documents I sent to Via Tutati were returned to me ... 3 months after sending them!!

Tuedio if you download Google Chrome you will be given the option to translate into English any doc sent in Italian (including Barclays on-line accounts)

Lorica

PostPosted: May 8th, 2014, 10:51 am 

Don't expect any improvement of standards of service at Barclays Italia but the reverse

Antony Jenkins, Group chief executive Barclays, announced his future plans for Barclays, including the European Network including Italy-

Full article-

http://invezz.com/news/equities/6884-ba ... it-by-2015

"Under CEO Jenkins’ reform plan Barclays has to cut almost 2,000 jobs across its European retail business and shut 500 branches. So far this year the bank has closed some 440 branches in Spain, Italy, Portugal and France. By the end of the year 1,500 jobs at the Barclay’s branch network in the four countries are expected to have gone as part of the bank’s efforts to trim its overall cost base by £1.7 billion a year, or almost 10 percent."

PostPosted: May 19th, 2014, 4:09 pm 

Am I reading this correctly? The Italian and other EU Barclays are being put into the bad bank and either closed or sold by the end of 2016. Or am I misunderstanding all this?

PostPosted: May 20th, 2014, 11:03 pm 

Hi Elise

If you notice the link is to an article released in November last year when the planned reduction of Barclays EU operations had already started. I posted this as I thought it could partly explain the deterioration of the Standards of Service I had been experiencing

Then on 8 May this year Antony Jenkins, Barclays Group CEO announced as a major re-think of the banks future strategy the downsizing of the EU operations was to continue

My understanding is that Barclays EU operations will still continue into the future but be considerably downscaled in terms of branches and staff