A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 24th, 2013, 8:13 pm 

We have a Poste Italiane (post office) current account - which we have had for almost two years. So far, we've never used it ie. for paying bills etc. To date we have paid our IMU (old ICI), and rubbish tax (TARSU) using cash when we've been out in Italy. Our electricity supply is still on builders supply so we haven't had to pay ENEL yet and although we are registered with a water meter we haven't had a bill yet.

Although the post office account is a lot cheaper to maintain (monthly fee payable even if no transactions made) than a previous bank account, it's just about to run out of money and I have just drafted a letter to close the account. BUT before I send it, I just wanted to check if anyone has found a need (eg. for paying electricity or water bills) or do you manage to pay by other means (ie. cash when in Italy, bank transfer from UK bank, credit card etc).

Basically, what I'm asking is do I need my Italian bank account for any reason, that I have yet not discovered???

thanks

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 4:38 pm 

The problem with paying cash when in Italy is that you may not always be there at the required time. Electricity bills come every 2 months, I pay mine by direct debit from my Italian Barclays account although some others I know get there property manager to pay it for a small fee. There should be info elsewhere on the forum about paying electric bills by credit card or other methods but if someone does this hopefully they'll reply here. I would interested in knowing about water bills as haven't received one yet. If I was you Id keep the account open until you make a decision about electric and water.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 4:22 pm 

Can you use pre paid card for paying off bills like enel can you use it also for a direct debit or standing order? anyone know? have also heard you can use paypal to pay bills with has anyone used this method?

Cheers Diane

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 6:21 pm 

You should be able soon to pay bills from your uk account soon. Standardisation. Contact your uk bank and ask them about paying bills on line to euro banks accounts.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2013, 11:02 pm 

I paid a Bulgarian bill online last year through my Nationwide account. They couldn't do it in Bulgarian leva so did it in euros instead. Can't remember how much the fee was. So it is possible. There would be a fee with pay pal.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2013, 10:51 am 

Hi, yes you can pay Enel bill by uk credit, its taken for 6 months to sort it out but finally this month they've charged my credit card & bank charged me .33p. You have to register your credit card with Enel first, I have the form you need to fill in & fax it to them. If anyone needs the form let me know.
simi.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2013, 9:19 am 

Can you pm your email id "Loveitaly" so I can email you the form, I cant sned you a reply via PM, its sitting in my outbox.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 10:24 am 

I will be going home this September or October and my mentor suggested that I keep a US bank account.

Is there an advantage in doing this considering that I may only come back if ever as a tourist?

If it is advantageous, what bank can you recommend? Is it easily manageable from RP? If I do keep a US account, which bank allows me to transfer money between US and RP?

Thanks

PostPosted: April 16th, 2017, 8:50 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
It would appear from your post that the advise you seek is not related to Calabria but America? By the way what country is RP?