A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 3:36 pm 

Has anyone with an Italian Post Office account been able to register to go on line? We tried a few months back but couldn't even get the relevant pages up to register. Having been into the PO in Rocella last week - Luca (who speaks English) showed us how to do it..have just been on to the PO website and got a bit further... actually able to pull up the registration screens and start putting info in. BUT in a 5 step process - can't get past stage 3 which is where you make up a password and unscramble the squiggly letters/numbers to show you aren't a spammer... but I get the message:
le condizioni contrattudi non sono stare accettate. I am assuming that this means the contractual conditions have not been accepted.

Has anyone actually registered for on line banking with the PO?

Luca in the PO told us to use the 'if not living in Italy' screen to register (rather than 'resident in Italy') but as we changed our address to our Italian one last week in order that our post gets sent to Italy - I'm wondering if we have to use our Italian address rather than a UK address so that it matches the bank account details. I have tried various permutations but without success.

If anyone has successfully got their registration code - please please share with me how you did it

Chrissie

PostPosted: November 10th, 2011, 11:38 am 

With the news looking bleak for Italy and the euro, can anyone advise shoud Italy pull out of the euro, what happens to italian euro mortgages?

PostPosted: November 10th, 2011, 3:46 pm 

good question, doodles. As I have a euro mortgage I'm secretly hoping it'll just be written off!! Does anyone have a more knowledgable answer?

PostPosted: November 10th, 2011, 9:11 pm 

You shouldn't take this as gospel but my understanding is they would return to their own currency - probably lire and this would almost certainly result in a significant devaluation of the currency.

Our long-standing and trusted IFA was recently advised by one of his Fund Manager associates that should Spain have to leave the euro, it could lead to a 40% devaluation of their currency overnight - the IFA's interest is that he has a spanish property. This would be bad news if it affects property prices and it almost certainly will in Spain. The Italian property market however has much more stability so our hope is that values will not be so badly affected. And if we're really lucky - a mortgage of say 100,000 euros now (that is equivalent to @87k sterling) will only cost @70k sterling to pay-off post devaluation. Indeed this is the main reason why we're borrowing money to part-fund our purchase - we're hedging our bets in the event there is a major collapse.

Let's all hope my interpretation is something like right.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2011, 10:35 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
This isn't the correct topic for this discussion but I shall give you my take on what may happen.
If any country did pull out of the euro and revert to their former currency, there is no doubt what bearandcub has said, properties would devalue and be worth a lot less than at present.
However if you have a euro mortgage, the contract with the bank is a legal binding contract and would stay in euiros. I just hope that Italy stays in the euro and that Germany/France agree to a limited amount of Quantative Easing. This will devalue the euro a little to our benefit in the UK.
I will post this reply on one of the Finance topics.
What is your take on this Tim Jones?
davidnam