A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Barclays Italia
PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 3:47 pm 

Has anyone had a successful experience recently of opening a Progressive account with Barclays Italia. My branch of Barclays in London have tried to contact Gabriella Pinna via email without success (blaming their internal email system!). Is Gabriella the best contact or can anyone recommend another member of staff in Milan.

Post subject: Re: Barclays Italia
PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 3:56 pm 

Guilia, yes I successfully opened a progressive account at 3 euros per month (although I've read other posts that say it's not possible for UK residents). I deal with
Nicorelli Maria Giulia, MariaGiulia.Nicorelli@barclays.it and have found her to be helpful and answers emails fairly promptly. She faxed the paperwork to my UK branch (Belfast) and I had to make an appointment there to sign 50+ pages in Italian (so didn't know what I was signing!). The account is up and running and all seems fine but I hope I haven't signed my life away!

PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 4:21 pm 

Thanks Evie - I'll try MariaGiulia as you found her helpful. I am sure you haven't signed your life (or you money!) away.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 9:05 pm 

Hi. I'm dealing with Gabriella Pinna. She does reply to direct emails (although with long waits on occasion). My local barclays agreed to send all of the documents by courier to her this week, so the account should be opened soon. I've read the 50 pages and it seems fine.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 2:00 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I have found that Maria Guilia Nicorelli very helpful, she emails in English and replies by return email. Although my account was not in her Branch she did give me the following telephone number 0039 02 4037 8205 (then 4 for an English speaker). As soon as I contacted this number my problem was sorted within 5 minutes. Previous to this I have been trying to sort out my on line account for 2 months !!
I kept emailing info@barclays for 2 months with my problem. They kept asking me questions in italian which is fair enough (thank goodness for Google Translate) but they did not appear to be doing anything and 2 weeks after I had contacted them I couldn't even log into my account at all. They were doing something, they just made it worse!
I wonder if any others have had the problem that I have experienced.
It is regarding the Depositiva (Payment Instruction Password) which you need to transfer any funds to another account on line.
On three occasions now the system has failed to recognise my Depositiva.
The first two times I had a contact in their IT section who emailed me in English and he sorted the problem quickly. Unfortunately when I emailed him this time it bounced back not recognising his email address.
I would hope that the number I gave above is a good one to call for other problems with Barclays.
davidnam

PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 11:35 am 

Hi yes i found it very easy, Barclays Milan faxed everything to our local branch, we signed forms and the uk staff verified everything, and faxed them back.
It is a very cheap account with hardly any charges, and i view and monitor it all on line.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 12:00 pm 

I am struggling to get any joy with a progressive account and I really do resent the high charges on the account I have -just to pay my electric bill is all I use it for so Thanks all for the info.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 2:01 pm 

Hi Pamela
As I've mentioned to you before you would really be better to set up payment so that it comes out from your credit card . I've just received an enel bill for 28 euros. We were out for a week over new year. The only charge I have for paying this way is £1.50. I don't see any need to set up a bank account if you are only using it to pay electricity. I know when we were out to complete 2 years ago we had an account with a bank in Tropea. It was open from May until September and in that 4 month period we had more than 100 euros in charges. Madness. How are you . We are heading back out to Amalfi in march.
Margaret

PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 7:01 pm 

margaret wrote:
Hi Pamela
As I've mentioned to you before you would really be better to set up payment so that it comes out from your credit card . I've just received an enel bill for 28 euros. We were out for a week over new year. The only charge I have for paying this way is £1.50. I don't see any need to set up a bank account if you are only using it to pay electricity. I know when we were out to complete 2 years ago we had an account with a bank in Tropea. It was open from May until September and in that 4 month period we had more than 100 euros in charges. Madness. How are you . We are heading back out to Amalfi in march.
Margaret

Hi Margaret,
How exactly does this work? Who do you set it up with? Is it your credit card that you'd use in England? All these questions, like a quiz.
Angela.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 11:16 pm 

Hi Angela
Yes it's just my Abbey credit card. When we were connected for electricity 2 years ago we were sent pages and pages of information and I must say I spent weeks trying my best to translate. One of the forms was to set up payment. I filled in my credit card details and hoped forthe best. Luckily what i did fill in must have been sufficient for them because every couple of months the bill comes to my home address and the money is taken from my credit card with only a very small charge.

I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to do if you already have it set up but surely if you translate a basic letter to enel explaining that you would like a form sent out that would be sufficient to change over.
Margaret

PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 11:16 pm 

Hi Angela
Yes it's just my Abbey credit card. When we were connected for electricity 2 years ago we were sent pages and pages of information and I must say I spent weeks trying my best to translate. One of the forms was to set up payment. I filled in my credit card details and hoped forthe best. Luckily what i did fill in must have been sufficient for them because every couple of months the bill comes to my home address and the money is taken from my credit card with only a very small charge.

I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to do if you already have it set up but surely if you translate a basic letter to enel explaining that you would like a form sent out that would be sufficient to change over.
Margaret

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 11:38 pm 

I have an account with Barclays Italia and have recently been trying to apply for a Barclaycard Credit Card.
The on-line application form will not accept some of the demographics I entered and was told by the Barclaycard customer services that I have to be in Italy to fill in the forms.
When I first applied and received my Barclays Current account, I applied for a Credit Card at the same time. I received a letter stating that the Credit Card would be sent to me in a month from Ireland !! It never arrived.
They sent me our Barclays Italia Debit Cards without any problem.
What experinces have others had in applying for a Credit Card.
davidnam

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 9:24 am 

davidnam, I don't have any experience of Barclays credit cards but any queries that I have about my Barclays current account are answered promptly and helpfully by Nicorelli at MariaGiulia.Nicorelli@barclays.it

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 7:01 pm 

Thanks eviegardner,
I will contlact her.
davidnam

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 9:57 am 

I really have had some issues with Barclays Italia this past month.
They cancelled my Barclays Debit Card without informing me in the middle of me travelling down by car to Capo Vatcano. I had been using it Pompei to pay for an evening meal. When I went to pay the Hotel bill the next morning it had been cancelled!
After an hour on the phone and past from pillar to post with at least 6 persons and several "Customer Services" personnel I was told it had been cancelled because it was an old magnetic strip card and not the new "Chip and Pin" type and had to travel to Milan to get a new one !!
Since coming home I was given an email address to apply for one but now 2 weeks and no response.
Have forwarded the email to Maria Guilia Nicorelli a week ago but still no response from Barclays.
Anybody got advice who to contact to get a new Debit Card?
davidnam

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 10:05 am 

More help required.
I have just checked my Barclays Italia account and have discovered they have debited it by 280€ for giroconto fees.
Can anybody tell me what this fee is for?
davidnam

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 3:25 pm 

Hi Davidnam, not sure what giroconto fees are, but they charged me 137euros simply for the priviledge of paying money into our account from the UK. They also refused to send a bankers draft for the payment of our apartment to a third party (notary or lawyer) and insisted sending it back to us in Scotland by courier (35 euros), which we then had to send to our lawyer (45 euros) and only after we'd posted (you guessed it - by courier - 50 euros) a paper copy of a document we'd signed - after they'd emailed it - so it was never an original document to begin with!!! To their credit though, the account was very easy to open to begin with, only costs about 6 or 7 euros a month to run, and our chip and pin card worked perfectly in all the shops around Pizzo.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 4:28 pm 

I had to look it up to be sure: it is a bank transfer charge, see here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/giroconto

PostPosted: July 20th, 2011, 6:08 pm 

My progressive barclay's account costs 3 euros per month plus 9 euros per quarter i.e. 6 euros per month. I haven't had any other charges (fingers crossed!) although I've done several credit transfers. I emailed Nicorelli to ask for the debit card and it came in 2-3 weeks although haven't used it yet.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2011, 5:08 pm 

Thanks davidnam for bringing the debit card issue to my attention. I have emailed my Relationship Manager at Barclays Milan and got a response immediately saying that another colleague would arrange to send new chip and pin cards to us. However as per you I would have been extremely angry if I wanted to pay for something in Italy and my debit card had been cancelled. We have had no info from them that the cards were changing.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2011, 4:55 pm 

Beauyash wrote:
Thanks davidnam for bringing the debit card issue to my attention. I have emailed my Relationship Manager at Barclays Milan and got a response immediately saying that another colleague would arrange to send new chip and pin cards to us. However as per you I would have been extremely angry if I wanted to pay for something in Italy and my debit card had been cancelled. We have had no info from them that the cards were changing.

Have the cards changed
I used mine in July and it worked fine in Italy and I am planning to go again in September is it possible mycard will not work -would I need to check this with them -Thanks
Pamela

PostPosted: September 4th, 2011, 5:27 pm 

If I was you Pamela i would check to make sure that your cards are ok to use better to know before you go than to wait and find out that you cant use them when you are there.

Cheers Diane :)

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 1:31 pm 

Hi All

We too was left stranded in July because of the old magnetic strip debit card not working. We arrived home to find a letter telling us we had to apply for a new chip and pin one. It is now September and we are still waiting for the debit cards to arrive! We have however received the pin codes. Also we thought we would order a new cheque book at the same time as ordering the debit card. It seems now the cheque book has to be sent to your local Barclay's branch. Having been told it had been sent 3 weeks ago by registered post it has yet to arrive at our local branch.
Why oh why Barclay's Italy can't get their act together beats me!!

Lorica

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 8:21 pm 

Hi Folks,
As you are experiencing lorica I am still waiting for my new debit card despite receiving my pin code weeks ago. I have called them several times and they say they will do something and I am still waiting !!
I haven't received any letter from Barclays for me to apply for a new one. I had to call their so called @customer services' many times as they passed the buck for me to call several telephone numbers !
Pamela, if you have a chip and pin debit card it should be OK.Mine was issued in November 2008 and was a magnetic strip type and the reason they cancelled it.
davidnam

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 1:50 pm 

Thanks David
How do I know if it is chip and pin ? has it just a little gold square on the left and I use a pin for withdrawals ?
I have emailed Barclays but I have not received a reply.
I got it in Sept 2009 -I think !
Are you out in sept or october this year -we should have a reunion

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 11:37 pm 

Hi Pamela,
The gold square is the chip so it should be OK.
Would love to meet up, I am going out on the 21st Sept and back to STN on the 26th. I think I saw something on the Forum stating that you are going out a little later than my dates.
Reunion? I think we missed each other a couple of years ago at the time of the Blues Festival so we haven't met as yet. You had some travel problems if my memory serves me correctly at that time and Paul Goodhind was helping you out.
You are the Pamela in Zambrone with Canadian links?
Anybody else who would like to meet up in the Tropea / Capo Vaticano area who are out at this time?
davidnam

PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 1:44 pm 

Hi David I am the Pamela you had dinner with in Tropea with my husband William in June 2009 when we were completing.I am not the canadian link person.
I have sent you an email.
Best regards
Pamela

PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 11:58 pm 

Pamela,
I remember now, you are the Irish Pamela. We did have a good meal that night with the glorious sunset and amazing view of Stromboli blowing off a plume of smoke.
I look forward to receiving your email.
David

PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 1:50 pm 

Spoke too soon. Have not received even a pin number yet. No response to any of my emails since July. Now starting to get angry and thinking of closing our account as I am still paying charges but not able to get my money except paying bills online.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 4:33 pm 

With all these problems that many Barclays Italia customers are facing isn't there someone we can write / email about the poor service that we are all receiving.
Anybody have an address or email of someone with clout we can complain about what we are experiencing?
davidnam

PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 4:57 pm 

If you go onto Barclays Italy website there is a complaint procedure and email etc to complain and they guarantee a response within so many days. I will go that route in a couple of weeks although I will have to use Google translate....

PostPosted: September 15th, 2011, 10:24 am 

I have had problems on my last visit with my Barclays card at the ATM's. It will not physically go into the ATM's I tried. The machines in stores etc all accepted it and I have used it on visits before but it wont go into the ATM. My other cards from the uk were fine so I presume it is barred from certain other banks. Has anyone else had this problem ?.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2011, 9:35 am 

I finally received my Debit Card from Barclays after a long frustrating 2 months wait just in time before I fly out on the 21st.
Not sure if my letter of complaint to Maria GFuilia Nicorelli to pass on did the trick !
I assume that I have to telephpne 800.205.205 to activate the card which you cannot ring from UK. Does anyone know of an alternative number I can ring from UK to activate the card, and can one change the PIN you were sent by post in an ATM to one of your own choosing?
davidnam

PostPosted: September 17th, 2011, 9:48 am 

davidnam, that's good. I've always found Nicorelli very helpful. In July I asked the receptionist at Pizzo Beach Club to ring the activation number and it seemed straighforward (I was afraid to in case I messed it up due to my lack of Italian). Yesterday was the 1st time I tried to withdraw money and it worked fine from a Banc of Napoli ATM. Ill try to change the pin later and let you know.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2011, 12:18 pm 

davidnam, I tried to change the codice segreto today at ATMs of 2 different banks (Napoli and UBI) and couldn't see anyhwere to do so. Withdrawing money is no problem. I'll ask Nicorelli and let you know.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 8:49 am 

I went to Barclays in Milan and they told me that you could not change the pin. Not as advanced as banks in the uk.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 9:29 am 

Thank you all for the information re change of PIN.
I rang their Customer Services on 00390240378205 (then 4 for an English speaker). They have the authorisation to activate the card and it was straight forward. You need your Codice Fiscale, DOB, place of birth for security.
I will use it tomorrow (advised to wait 24 hours) to check it is alright. It should also work in UK as the one they cancelled when in Italy worked in France at the automatic Toll payment machines when I was driving down in June.
davidnam

PostPosted: September 19th, 2011, 11:18 pm 

sorry I forgot you needed all that info to activate the card or I would have mentioned it.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 8:51 pm 

Having tried (unsuccessfully) to open a bank account with Poste Italiene and UBI - they can't seem to make their minds up as to whether they can offer non-resident accounts... It is becoming increasingly urgent we open an Italian account and we e-mailed Maria GFuilia Nicorelli on 12th Sept. but have received no response. It seems from other posts that delays aren't unusual but does anyone have any other english speaking individuals who have proved helpful in the past?

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 9:11 pm 

I have just succeeded after months trying to get my internet banking set up and my debit card through Barclays.
I was getting no where so i emailed clientservice@barclays.it and that got the ball rolling for me.
I still had to keep emailing them which is so frustrating.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 9:35 pm 

Thanks barneyjoe - we'll give it a go.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 9:12 am 

bearandcub, I've always found Nicorelli very helpful but she's on holiday from 14-28th Sept.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2011, 8:50 pm 

Thanks Evie G - unfortunately we're running short of time so we're trying some different avenues into Barclays - if all else fails, I'm sure Nicorelli will respond when she returns.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 6:04 pm 

Just received a response from Maria Nicorelli - Barclays will no longer open accounts by sending the documentation etc to your local UK Branch. You have to visit a Branch of Barclays Italia with passport and codice etc.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 10:32 pm 

davidnam, Nicorelli told me that you cannot change the pin number for your debit card.

bearandcub, I had to open a Barclays bank account as I have a mortgage with them. The local UK branches probably got tired (understandably so) of 100+ pages being faxed to them (rather than emailed). Others have talked on here about Post Office accounts. It seems unnecessary to have to go in person, I wonder can a property manager go in your place. Hope you get sorted.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 4:29 pm 

Great news today!

After 9 weeks of communications with Barclays Milan I now have a new cheque book and 2 new chip & pin debit cards (activated) ... it was hard work getting them.

Lorica

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 4:50 pm 

I'm struggling with the internet banking at the moment; I can't get past the initial sign in.

I've had one e-mail from Milan telling me just to ring the Barclays 'helpdesk' (yet again) but another one suggesting there is a general problem and they are trying to sort it.

Anyone else is the same boat or is it just me?

Sykeylad

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 6:16 pm 

Sykeylad, I just tried my internet banking and it's working fine. Are you remembering that it's case sensitive? That caught me out several times! Also, what i thought was a number one (in the code they gave me) was actually a capital I - right in the centre of a long list of numbers!! Worth a check.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 8:34 am 

I had the same problem and it took many phone calls to sort it but it turned out that the only problem was the number which you use to log in (codice utente) was 10 digits long and I had only been given 9. I put a zero (0) in front and it worked perfectly. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 1:24 pm 

Thanks guys but none of those things is doing the trick.

It has prevously let me in so I suspect I'm being 'blocked' from head office.

Sykeylad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next