A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Italian Property Tax
PostPosted: October 16th, 2007, 11:08 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: May 7th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Posts: 782
Location: England
How much is property tax in Italy?


Property tax (imposta comunale sugli immobili/ICI – pronounced ‘itchy’) is paid by everyone who owns property or land in Italy, whether resident or non-resident.

It’s levied at between 0.4 and 0.7 per cent of a property’s fiscal value (valore catastale), the rate being decided by the local municipality according to a property’s size, location, age, condition and official category (categoria), as shown in the property deeds (rogito). Categories are decided by the land registry (catasto) according to the type of property (abitazione di tipo) as follows:

* A/1 - Signorile (refined)
* A/2 - Civile (civilian)
* A/3 - Economico (economical)
* A/4 - Populare (working class)
* A/5 - Ultrapopulare (‘ultra-working class’)
* A/6 - Rurale (rural)
* A/7 - Villini (small detached)
* A/8 - Ville (detached)
* A/9 - Castelli, palazzi di eminenti pregi artistici o storici (castle or
building of eminent historic or artistic importance)
* A/10 - Uffice e studi privati (private offices and studios)
* A/11 - Allogi tipici dei luoghi (typical housing of the region)

A property’s category has a relatively small influence on the amount of tax payable. If a property is unfit for habitation, property tax is reduced by 50 per cent.

Property tax is usually paid in two instalments: 90 per cent by 30th June and the remaining 10 per cent between 1st and 20th December (for uninhabitable properties, the figures are 45 per cent and 5 per cent respectively). If it isn’t paid on time, you can be fined in the form of a surcharge or additional tax (sopratassa) of up to 200 per cent of the amount due.

The form for paying tax is complicated and many people (particularly foreigners) employ a commercialista or agent to do it for them. You can also pay property tax from abroad using registered post, addressing payment to the tax office of your comune. Payments must be up-to-date when a property is sold and you should check this before buying.

Other property-related taxes include communal services (servizio riscossione tributi ruoli) for owners of condominiums and other community properties, refuse tax (tassa communale dei rifiuti) and water rates. Property owners also pay income tax on their property, which is based on its cadastral value.

This article is an extract from Buying a Home in Italy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Italian Property Tax
PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 10:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: April 7th, 2009, 10:58 am
Posts: 61
Location: Near Sheffield
Hi All

Does anyone have any experience of becoming regsitered with the tax office in the commune where their property is located? Has anyone paid any local taxes yet? If, yes, did you make your own arrangements or did you use a "commercialista" or other finance advisor to do this?

Cheers
Mike


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Italian Property Tax
PostPosted: December 20th, 2012, 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: July 19th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Posts: 44
You are on Calabria Forum . Not Dallas..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Italian Property Tax
PostPosted: October 25th, 2013, 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: June 25th, 2008, 6:39 pm
Posts: 1171
Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I have been advised to visit the local Comune to see about my Rubbish and water Taxes.
Is it the Tarsu & ICI taxes or is it the IMU tax that has just been abolished?.
As I understand it the IMU replaced the property tax so the rubbish and water still has to be paid to the Comune. Goodness knows what is going to replace the IMU tax but it will be replaced and we will have to pay it.
I know my Comune taxes were up to date form the 13 March 2012 as this was stated on my "Autorizzione di Agibilita" stamped and signed by the Comune. I didn't pay them so I can only assume that the builder / developer paid them. I will have 2 years to pay back on my water and rubbish I only hope that I am not too heavily fined for the delay!!
I paid my first lot of IMU taxes on time and when I asked about the other taxes they said pay next time!
Hopefully by the time I go out next May the replacement for the IMU may be in place so I can pay everything that is due.
davidnam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Italian Property Tax
PostPosted: June 4th, 2015, 9:04 am 
Offline

Joined: June 4th, 2015, 9:00 am
Posts: 1
Property tax is usually paid in two instalments: 90 per cent by 30th June and the remaining 10 per cent between 1st and 20th December (for uninhabitable properties, the figures are 45 per cent and 5 per cent respectively). If it isn’t paid on time, you can be fined in the form of a surcharge or additional tax (sopratassa) of up to 200 per cent of the amount due.

_________________________
aliii


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group