A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Garbage charges
PostPosted: April 6th, 2016, 6:12 pm 

Has anybody paid their 'garbage' charges i.e. 'bin charges' as we call they in Dublin. We paid them last year for 2014 - €235 plus €5 postage for 2014. This is a lot for two weeks garbage !!!!

What are people's experiences ? Are these charges different in different regions?

thanks,
Sean & Mary

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Garbage charges
PostPosted: April 6th, 2016, 9:46 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Sean,
The €235 you paid must surely have been for a number of years back dated or it not only for the TARI (previously TARSU) but for other municipal taxes eg IMU (previous name ICI) and or TASI.
My Comune is in Ricadi and I have been trying to pay my TARI tax for several years as I have not paid this tax since I purchased in October 2008.
My water charges are paid by the Condominium and I have paid my IMU taxes at the Comune Office personally and in the last couple of years by a friend who is resident in the area. I was told that I would receive the TARI tax due invoice in the post and sent to my UK address.
Since I hadn't received anything in the post I visited the office last year when on holiday to pay my TARI. On my first visit I was told to come back the next day. When going back waited 1 hour in a queue that had not moved, so left my UK address and details of the property & my Codice Fiscale as I was told again that they would send the TARI bill by post. I still have not had any correspondence from the Ricadi Comune!
I will try and visit the office again at the end of May.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 9th, 2016, 2:37 pm 

ta david.

i'm pretty sure the 235 was garbage for 2014 only. we pay IMU via an accountant in pizzo. we had to register for water charges late last year so we'll be paying these directly like ENEL. up to now water was part of the condo fees. i don't mind water or electricity as they're based on usage but garbage is a flat rate for only a few weeks usage per year.

i see where you say they're combining some of these taxes - i must chase that up. i agree it very confusing and one always need help. you mentioned trying to pay garbage since 2008. we bought in 2009 but only started paying garbage in 2014.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 9th, 2016, 7:42 pm 

Hi again Sean,
The €235 must have been for previous years as well from 2009 when you purchased plus a fine for lkate payments of previous years.
I am sure my friend who lives near the Ricadi Comune where I pay my Property taxes has mentioned in the past that the garbage tax (TARI) wasn't a big bill. I will check with him in the next few days.
My water charge is paid with my condo so no problems there and IMU in the past by my friend.
This is the article if you haven't seen it re Property Tax. I copied it from the link in the April "Calabrian Voice" edited by Paul & Lorraine the Forum's administrators.

PROPERTY TAX COSTS

IUC
In 2016, Italian properties will be subject to IUC payments (Imposta Municipale Unica). There are three tax components in IUC:

IMU
While properties considered as principal residences, other than luxury
homes and castles, will be exempt from IMU in 2016, if you own a
second home in Italy, then you will be subject to IMU payments. This
will be calculated based on the cadastral value of the property multi-
plied by 168. The basic rate will be 0.76%. However, this rate may
vary depending on the location of the property; each municipality can
set their own rate, up to a maximum of +0.3%.

TASI
This local tax covers the costs of basic municipal services like street
lighting and road maintenance.
In 2016, principal residences will be exempt from TASI unless you own a luxury home or a castle.
Second homes and or holiday homes will still be subject to TASI pay-
ments at the full rate, although these may qualify for a discount of
50% if the second home is occupied by an owners children, parent(s)
or other first degree relatives. There are two conditions that must be
fulfilled to apply for the 50% discount: the owner must register the
occupants of the second home with the authorities and, the owner of
the second home must own another home which has been declared as
the owners principal residence.
TASI is calculated in a similar way to IMU, on a base rate of 0.1%.
Each municipality can choose to reduce or increase the base rate up
to a maximum of 0.25%. The maximum possible TASI rate will be
capped at 0.33%.

TARI
TARI (TAssa RIfiuti) represents the waste service component of IUC.
This tax is used to finance the costs of collection and garbage dispo-
sal. TARI is payable on principal and second homes. TARI payment is
calculated based on the square meterage of each property.
The total amount of TARI and TASI per property will be capped at a
tax rate of 10.6%.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 1:53 pm 

thanks david. i saw the article from paul & lorraine.

i must definately check my TARI - we were told by my condo manager that the bill for 2015 (which we havent paid yet) was the same as 2014 ???

Report this post
PostPosted: April 11th, 2016, 10:18 am 

Hi Sean,
This is the reply from my friend who lives near Ricadi re Property taxes.

"Regarding the Property Taxes, we only pay one of these, the Refuse tax, as far as the others are concerned we have no idea David. The comune in Ricadi is in turmoil and has been for the last three or four years. Cutbacks, no money, they didn't even pay their own water bill over the winter, hence the water in Ricadi was cut off for twelve hours or more per day. So as you can see getting around to sending out bills is on the agenda but God knows when. You may have read some of these things on the forum but this covers the whole of Italy, Calabria, Southern Italy is a completely different ball game. We only get a Tarsu/Water Bill every two years if we are lucky. The cost of our Tarsu is around €120 and we live here, all of our local friends here, not only are they not worried about it, they are not even thinking about it.
The best thing for you is to cut and paste your information, translate it and go down to the comune when you come in May. This is the best that we can suggest at this time."

My December 2015 IMU bill was €200, so with the TARI tax would be about about the amount you said you paid for "Garbage tax". Are you sure you are not paying your IMU twice ie via your accountant in Pizzo and your Condo manager?

Report this post