A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO RENT A HOLIDAY HOME IN CALABRIA
Browse this site to find lettings in Calabria directly by their owner. To contact the owners, send them a private message (PM) after having registered for free on this website.

FOR CALABRIA HOLIDAY HOME OWNERS
Please include as much information as possible, such as pictures, rates, location and features. If you include a link to your property on another site we request a link back to the forum.

Calabria Homes reserves the right to modify or remove listed holiday lettings if the information provided is not sufficient.

Post subject: rentals for mortgage
PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 7:18 pm 

i would just like to raise the subject of rentals.
i know that a lot of people bought property in calabria in the expectation that they would get enough rental to cover their mortgage costs.
I am sure a lot of you have been very disappointed with the rental that has materialised. I am in the fortunate position of not having to depend on rental,but what i would hate to see happening is a lot of people having to hand their property back or having it reposessed.
i think it would be in everyones interest ,from whatever complex/development for people to try and put their collective thinking caps on to try and come up with sone creative thinking to try and extend the rental season and to reach a wider market.
the tourist authorities,local agents,local government could all be doing more to promote the region.
the last thing that i want to see is a load of newly built apartments looking like ghost towns for 11months of the year!!
as i said before i think a bit of blue sky thinking is required by all interested parties
regards to all tony mccready

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: rentals for mortgage
PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 12:08 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Tonymccready,
How right you are, I think that many potential purchasers are taken in by what they are told by the selling agents and don't research the market thoroughly enough before buying if rentals are important to them.
I only speak of my experience in the Capo Vaticano / Tropea area where the real holiday season is July and August and it's mainly the 'continentals' that come on holiday in this period. Whilst July and August are the peak periods, the weather in the months of May, June and September are really good.
The British holiday makers don't really know Calabria and I would have thought the Calabrian Regional Tourist Board should promote the region in Britain , Ireland and further afield to extend the holiday season.
With Ryanair, Monarch and other airlines flying in to Lamezia this can only help to oipen up the region to the British and other markets outside the July and August peak months.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: September 4th, 2011, 5:25 pm 

the rental market would do a lot better it more flights were available from up north, particularly Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds etc and I agree if more people were aware of the region it would obviously do better, so come on Calabrian tourist board, pull your finger out and give us a hand

Report this post
PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 1:12 am 

Totally agree Tony. In the past, I only ever visited my place in Spring and Fall. The weather was still amazing; although, since I have gone later recently (June/July), I have noticed business open where I never saw them before.

There are several people who have been working to promote the region, a couple I know of and yes, they do need to "pull their finger out"...whoever said that one.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 1:09 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I have had the apartment for nearly 8 years and have noticed that more Brits are coming to Calabria as it seems to be getting more popular and known for its wonderful weather, scenery, beaches etc but also that the cost of the holidays are cheaper than many other Regions in Italy. I have been told that this year the Tropea / Capo Vatoicano areas have been extremely busy particularly in August with many more northern Italians holidaying in Calabria. This year all but one of my guests have been Brits.
Re renting, I have been fortunate that every year my rental costs have covered all my expenses including my mortgage interest. Not that I have made a great deal of profit, but at the end of the day marketing, realistic rental prices and your location are key.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 27th, 2016, 4:31 pm 

Certainly, Capo and Tropea are the more popular, well-advertised locations. It's interesting to hear that in recent times you had more Brits booking. In the beginning, I used to get Dutch, Norwegian, Germans, some Polish too. And, I used to wonder where the Italians were in Summer, but realized I was usually booked up through August already. Now, things have changed and my guests have been Italians. My newest guest, for next year, I met in my home airport, around the carousel, she just got off a plane from Iceland, we got chatting; she ripped off her luggage tag and gave me her details.

There definitely is a major shift happening. When I think back, in the early years, I had Americans and Canadians, quite a few Quebecois as well.

Report this post