A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 1:09 am 

Hello all,

it is with great pleasure that we announce a new traveling option from the UK to Calabria. On http://www.skytrain-airlines.com/ you can now book flights from London City to Reggio Calabria.

Flights start on the 10th of October, 3 times a week at a fixed price of 285 euro return with an intermediate stop in Brescia.

Outbound flight times: London 07:30 Reggio 11:30
Return: Reggio 12:30 London 16:00

Reggio's 'Aeroporto dello Stretto' is 117km (70mls) from Tropea.

Hope this helps,

Dennis.

Attachments:
euromap3-small.png
euromap3-small.png [ 72.33 KiB | Viewed 8294 times ]
PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 8:47 am 

thank you, some good news, which makes half term, Christmas holidays more accessible.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 10:32 am 

Flights cost 285 euros plus 37 euros tax The cost for two people traveling in november 644 eoros very expensive.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 11:31 am 

donstenk wrote:
Hello all,

Reggio's 'Aeroporto dello Stretto' is 117km (70mls) from Tropea.

Hope this helps,

Dennis.

never mind tropea, its only down the road from Jewel of the sea!!!!!!!!!!! great news that!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 4:37 pm 

Hi all
See attached schedule. Fly out or return Tues/Thur/Sat Dep0730 arr1130/2030. It is also possible to return from Reggio Mon/Wed/Fri. Depart Reggio 0900/1745 arr London City 2115.
Quote for 2 Adults (inc taxes and 20kg baggage) Euro644 with present exch rate dearer than Alitalia.
Allen C
Sorry could not attach sched. but it can be found on Skytrains website. Just search along the top bar.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 9:07 pm 

Great that another airline going to Calabria, but cheap it aint.
You can go London Heathrow to lamezia, 7 days a week with Alitalia, scheduled flight, coffee and cake, and generous baggage allowance,via Rome or Milan for circa £250 incl taxes.
Need one of the budgets to get the London / Lamezia or Crotone up and running. We live in hope ah!

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 9:43 pm 

Possible option - Been doing a little research and discovered that Ryanair fly to Verona which I think is Brescia. Fares are approx £33.00 return and then Skyrocket to Reggio for 199 Euro. Bringing total per person to approx. £200. Connections times would work with a short wait depending on day.
Can anyone confirm it is the same airport?

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 8:34 pm 

marco wrote:
Great that another airline going to Calabria, but cheap it aint.
You can go London Heathrow to lamezia, 7 days a week with Alitalia, scheduled flight, coffee and cake, and generous baggage allowance,via Rome or Milan for circa £250 incl taxes.
Need one of the budgets to get the London / Lamezia or Crotone up and running. We live in hope ah!

I have just returned from Calabria and did this trip with Alitalia. London Heathrow to Milan, then Milan to Crotone. Great trip, only 18 people on the Milan-Crotone journey and Crotone airport is a little gem! Better journey and timings from Crotone to Lorica too.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 11:54 am 

I just rang Monarch airlines -the lady said next year 's schedule is not organised yet and it will depend on how much interest is shown by the tour operators to go to Lamezia -area so we probably need to encourage people to book a package holiday to the area otherwise these flights will not materialise.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 6:11 pm 

I am disappointed with the price - for a family of four it works out quite expensive. I was also hoping for that a direct flight would resume to Lamezia...

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 8:52 pm 

Hope this works out for those who fancy it, but will not be using it ourselves. The Greek company flying the planes (Astra Airlines) only has 2 aircraft (19yr old BaE 146s) which are not fuel efficient - hence the high ticket prices. Given their other scheduled flights, they may also be pushed to keep everything running if one plane goes unserviceable at any point.

We still can't knock Ryanair - No direct flights, but we travel out in October for 12 days and have paid £94 all in for our flights (total for BOTH of us)...

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 10:25 pm 

Andy and Dee
It was good to read a post from you again, notice you have gone from blue to purple!
Anyway, would love to find out how you managed to get such cheap flights in October.

I wouldn't fly on such an old aircraft mentioned in your post but maybe the age of the plane doesn't matter? I'm sure some of the pilots on the forum could give their views on this.
mags

PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 12:17 pm 

Hi Mags. There is no safety problem with older aircraft being flown around Europe, and the 146s have a pretty good safety record - they were very solidly built.. (My light aircraft is a 1979 vintage and hasn't fallen out of the sky yet in its 31 years of flight :o )
To keep flight costs to a minimum, we try to keep it simple, plan well ahead and are flexible with where we change over. We only ever have a carry on bag and take no Ryan air 'extras'...
For the October trip mentioned above, everything was booked in June (if you're lucky you can pick up short notice cheap flights during the 'sale' periods, but generally better to plan well ahead. The prices seem to change every day, so persistence is helpful in checking prices very regularly to get the best deal). We are flying to Trapani for first time from Stansted for just under £17 each, one way. Taking these more remote airports we see as part of the holiday/adventure, not a chore! Not mentioned above, but we have decided to stay in Palermo for one night just to give us more time to look around before driving across to Tropea - one night in a four star hotel B&B picked up for £38.50 on Lastminute.com. We are flying back using lamezia>Bergamo>Stansted in one day with 6:50hr stop in Bergamo - again we like this, as Dee can go shopping over the road for some Italina fashion goods! Our return flights cost £18 each for 1st leg, £12:50 each for 2nd leg. (An additional 'hidden cost' here is of course the excess charge for picking up the car in Trapani and returning it to Lamezia - 70 euro extra surcharge)

Another example, but not as cheap - In September we are flying out using Bristol (far more local to us) again using Ryan air via Bergamo down to Lamezia. All in, we have paid a total of £182 our flights booked at shorter notice, but this trip needs an overnight stop on way down which adds another £80. On the plus side, a week in Bristol parking is £35 cheaper than Stansted and 2 hours each way nearer to us plus fuel saved.

Both these examples make the £502 we paid Alitalia in early July for two of us look like silly money to get to Lamezia, but it was a one off extravagance at the time, as we had to drop off the 'children' at Heathrow to go elsewhere.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 1:07 pm 

Lamezia to Bologna is a another way ,Bologna to london-gatwick with a 4 hour wait between flights with Ryanair.Going by Rome on the way out and easyjet to lamezia.I got all the flights for 2 people 280 pounds and no over night stay in november,

PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 8:37 pm 

Andy and Dee
You have reassured me about flying in older planes. I suppose they are a bit like household appliances ie a washing machine etc bought 30 years ago would last much longer than one bought today!
The details of your flights were really interesting but as I am restricted to school holiday dates, when the prices rise sharply, it is so hard for us to get bargains from Scotland.
However, in a year or so we will have retired and will be able to spend time searching for good deals and staying in places that we would never have thought of before.
Bristol would be ok for me too, never thought of that. My young brother lives there and we could combine an overnight with his family as we can fly directly from Edinburgh to Bristol.
Thanks for your reply,
mags
ps where are you in Calabria?

PostPosted: September 6th, 2010, 12:16 pm 

Andy and Dee.
As you already have a light aircraft it seems logical for you to upgrade to a larger one and put a Doncaster / Sheffield to Lamezie on a couple of times a week. Problem Solved :D

PostPosted: September 6th, 2010, 6:24 pm 

Yorkylad2008 wrote:
Andy and Dee.
As you already have a light aircraft it seems logical for you to upgrade to a larger one and put a Doncaster / Sheffield to Lamezie on a couple of times a week. Problem Solved :D

I wish we could fly ourselves to Tropea.... To put it into perspective though, my trip last weekend from Swansea to Alderney took an hour and a half in the little Tomahawk. After a lovely walk around this beautifully peaceful island, lunch in the harbour and flying back home, I had burnt £110 worth of AvGas fuel..! Southern Italy would take around 17 hours each way with several re-fuelling stops, and cost over £1000 in Avgas alone. No competition for my favourite carrier Ryanair I'm afraid, looking at our £16.50 tickets to Sicily next month :shock: