A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Dear All

I have received an email and spoken at length today to the owner of the hotel group that has organised these direct flights. They were happy for me to post the news that last week they signed the contracts with Monarch Airlines for a chartered flight from London Gatwick to Lamezia.

Please find an extract of the email sent to me prior to my conversation with the writer:

"Dear Alexander

I have been forwarded your e-mail (below) by the Management of the Rocca Nettuno which is owned and Managed by FTi/Meeting Point International. I am the UK Director for Fti/Meeting Point who has responsibility for their operations here and I can confirm that my office has contracted Monarch Airlines to undertake a weekly charter from London Gatwick directly to Lamezia commencing 30th April 2011 and concluding on 29th October 2011. The flight will operate on Saturdays at 06.30am (although we may move the flight to a 09.30am slot if one becomes available).

The flight will be managed and operated from the UK by a General Sales Agent and the hotel will be packaged and sold through various UK tour operators who have contracted beds and flights with us."

They have confirmed to me that a 1/3 of the planes seats will be made available for the general public to book flights for themselves.

If we all support this flight and the flight is busy enough, then the aim will be to increase the number of flights weekly with the intention of an additional direct flight from Manchester to Lamezia (for all of you in the north of England and Scotland!!).

So this is fantastic news for everyone looking for direct flights. We need to support this flight because I am informed that the real reason Ryanair pulled the direct flight was simply because they did not make enough money from the flight and unlike other areas like Bari etc, subsidies were not given to Ryanair to make the route work.

All the best

Alex

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 4:22 pm 

Alex this is great news, lets hope its a success and eventually they operate from all other airports as well, shame its not starting of this year but heyho next year will be good for us.

Perhaps if its used enough they will extend the flights to all year round.

Thankyou Diane :)

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 5:07 pm 

This is great news, thank you Alex for pursuing this and sharing it with us all.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 8:54 pm 

where do we book flights?

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 9:27 pm 
I guess this is the page to watch: http://www.monarch.co.uk/destinations.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2010, 7:27 am 

Well done Alex, I knew you would get the information if it were available. Do you know when the flights will be available for us to book.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2010, 8:02 am 

Fantastic news! Thanks Alex. :D

PostPosted: July 10th, 2010, 1:19 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Alexr
Excellent news, thanks for doing the research.
Any idea what time the flight is going back to Gatwick? I should think that it is probably the same plane and it turns around at Lamezias so it is likely to be around noon time.
The prices I have seen on their website are one way prices. Anybody idea on what the flight is going to cost and what their policies are with regards to carry on and hold luggage?
davidnam

PostPosted: July 19th, 2010, 1:30 pm 

Hello all,

just a quick update, flights are indeed confirmed from the 30th of April, the contract has been signed and we will get and publish information on how to book in a couple of weeks.

The tour operators are working hard to promote Calabria in the UK and Ireland and have a long term goal of more flights to Calabria.

Watch this for more breaking news.

Dennis.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 11:05 am 

This is such good news, I wonder if they would like to rent a few apartments so they can offer self catering package holidays..............!

Always the optimist! :idea: :D :?:

Carol.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 11:17 am 

Nowhere on Monarch airlines can I find mention of the direct flights to Lamezia next year, they have issued their summer 2011 destinations on their website.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 12:36 pm 

If this is a charter flight then I guess that it would not generaly appear on the airlines website, it would be marketed by those that have commissioned the service or their agents.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 9:08 am 

Carol wrote:
This is such good news, I wonder if they would like to rent a few apartments so they can offer self catering package holidays..............!

Yes, we will be discussing this and arranging this with them and our rental partners.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 9:44 am 

Dennis

Make sure they leave some flight only seats for us apartment owners wishing to get out to Calabria!

lorica

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 5:37 pm 

As previously reported, approximately a third of the plane is expected to be made available for seat only bookings, less in peak season.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 9:47 pm 

Alex
Thank you for posting this. I really thought that Ryanair had pulled the direct flight from UK because VFI had pulled out of Calabria. Irish connections.

I would rather not fly with Ryanair as to me they are just money grabbing, they charge you for everything.

I managed to fly from Scotland to Calabria and return without an overnight stay anywhere and will post details on the relevant site.

Got the impression when I was in Calabria for 3 weeks end June start July that locals in the area that I was living in think the Brits are no longer buying there but other countries are seeing this beautiful area as a place for buying/renting in. We were asked lots of times if we were Dutch/German/Russian...our colouring no doubt.

Anyway if Monarch fly directly from UK to Calabria that will be wonderful not only for us who have bought there but for those who have bought and want to rent out their homes.

mags

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 2:58 pm 

[
I managed to fly from Scotland to Calabria and return without an overnight stay anywhere and will post details on the relevant site.

mags[/quote]

Hi Mags,

Looking forward to hearing details.

Pooch

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 4:00 pm 

Hi Mags
We done the flight to Lamezia in one day with Alitalia, cost us £360 each, not bad if you are gonig for 2 or 3 weeks, but a bit pricey for a week.

Who did you fly with?

Gary

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 8:31 pm 

We flew from Edinburgh to Rome Ciampino, bus then train to Fiumcino.
Ryanair, no alternative .

Fiumcino to Lamezia with Easyjet.

Return Lamezia with Blue Express to Rome Fiumcino then Fiumcino to Gatwick then Edinburgh with BA.

I'll look out the times tomorrow and post them on the flights from Scotland page. The trail from one Rome airport to the other is endless. One time we got a taxi and if going that way again would get a taxi, pay the driver to go a bit slower, as by the time we had paid bus and train fares there was not a great deal of difference in price.

We left hours between flights as we have suffered delays with luggage arriving in the past and ended up having to pay for extra flights and hotel in London. It took us ages to get there and probably 10 hours to get back but worth it as we had relaxing time between flights and more importantly didn't have to spend a night in another city. Just wanted as much time as possible in Calabria as we have in the past spent overnights in Rome and had a long weekend in Milan in May. So expensive!

I'm wittering on but will look out details of flight times and costs and will post tomorrow.

mags

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 9:25 pm 

Mags you take the bus from Ciampino airport to Rome centeral station, where you get off the bus you are able to get a bus to Rome fiumcino airport cost is 8 euro single. The train fare is 14 euro,

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 9:54 pm 

When we got off the bus at Il Termine in Rome I asked a Terravision rep if we could get the bus to Fiumcino airport and he said "no" so we lugged our luggage to the end of the station
to get train.
Difficult to avoid beggars in the station especially as one came forward when I was booking our tickets at self service box and she kept pressing the buttons for me.
Please tell me where to get bus as we would not want to go via train ever again. It took us ages to get to the platform , no trolleys in sight, with our luggage but someone very kindly helped us on the train with our luggage and then came along the aisle with his hand open for a tip!! and there we were thinking that someone had taken pity on two ancient souls. We felt ancient at this point.
Honestly, I could write a book about our experiences in travelling to Calabria. Never straightforward apart from our recent trip but so worth it in the end.
mags

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 10:49 pm 

Mags the bus stop is right beside the bus for ciampino airport ,there ia a bus I used it in may .When in fiumcino airport the bus stop is across the road from terinmal 3,

PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 12:27 pm 

Can anyone comment on which airport easyjet fly to in dusseldorf is it weeze ?
the one ryanair fly to?

PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 8:11 pm 

Thank you travelcalabria, I now know where to find bus to airport. That would have been so much easier than getting the train.
mags

PostPosted: July 30th, 2010, 9:06 pm 

Hi,

I have just returned too from Scotland. Went Prestwick to Rome Ciampino, overnight stay in Rome then Rome Fumicino to Lamezia the following morning. Flights all on same day on return. I found a lovely lady who picked us up from Ciampino free of charge when we booked to stay with her for one night and she walso dropped us off at Fumicino the next day. We booked 2 rooms at her house/B&B and the total cost was 95 Euro with a light breakfast thrown in. She is also a qualified tour guide and gave us a fantastic and informative tour of Rome on the way back.

Anyone interested can get her details at www.romeairportaccommodation.com and her name is Paola. Good luck.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 11:29 am 

[quote="mags"]We flew from Edinburgh to Rome Ciampino, bus then train to Fiumcino.
Ryanair, no alternative .

Fiumcino to Lamezia with Easyjet.

Return Lamezia with Blue Express to Rome Fiumcino then Fiumcino to Gatwick then Edinburgh with BA.

I'll look out the times tomorrow and post them on the flights from Scotland page.

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to access the flights from Scotland page?

Pooch

PostPosted: August 5th, 2010, 12:30 pm 

Ryanair launch new route from London gatwick to Rome campino starting in nov 2010

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 3:45 am 

Good news travelcalabria. I think that the travelling time will be more efficient now. :D

PostPosted: August 16th, 2010, 9:00 pm 

website is mispelt as "www.romeaccomodation.com "she must be losing enquiries due to this! looks nice when you do reach the site

PostPosted: August 16th, 2010, 9:04 pm 

sorry should be: www.romeairportaccomodation.com ( spelled with only one m !!)
accommodation tours and transfers for ciampino/fuimicino connections via :| Rome

PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 11:59 am 

Avro are part of Monarch and handle seat only , charters etc and may be best bet for bookings on new Lamezia route. if not sold on Mopnarchs own web site.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 3:11 pm 

Ryanair are starting new routes from Gatwick to Bologna, and Bergamo end of october. times look good for return flight from Lamezia to Bologna and connect to Gatwick around 4 hours wait and 60 euros for the two flights