A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 10:13 pm 

Dear All,

Long time since my last post but for those that may have missed recent developments by Ryanair in the last 10 days or so...

Ryanair announces fully allocated seating on all flights and other customer service improvements over the next 8 months.

After an extensive customer feedback programme through its “Tell MOL” (Michael O’Leary) page on the Ryanair.com website, Ryanair confirmed that it was introducing a collection of customer service improvements over the next 8 months to the end of June 2014.

The significant major change is that from 1 February 2014 Ryanair is to introduce fully allocated seating on all flights. All seats will now automatically be assigned by the airline free of charge upon booking. However, anyone specifically wishing to choose their own seat must pay an additional £5 per person, per flight fee.

In addition, Ryanair, Europe’s favourite low fares airline unveiled a programme of a further 15 additional enhancements to its customer service as per below:

1. From 1 Nov, the “Recaptcha” security code will be removed from the Ryanair.com website for individual bookings.
2. From 1 Nov, Customers who book directly on the Ryanair.com website (i.e. not via travel agents or screenscrapers) will be given a 24 hour grace period from the time of their original booking, to correct any minor errors (i.e. spelling, names, routings) made in their original booking.
3. From 1 Nov, Ryanair will operate “quiet flights”, prior to 8am in the mornings and after 9pm in the evenings. During these quiet flight periods no Public Announcement’s will be made on board other than required safety announcements. Ryanair will also dim the lights during these quiet flights so that any customers who wish to snooze, can comfortably do so.
4. From 30 Nov, Ryanair’s new website will feature a cleaner, simpler homepage.
5. From 30 Nov, Ryanair’s new website will feature a simplified booking path which will cut the ‘clicks’ to make bookings from 17 to just 5.
6. From 30 Nov, Ryanair’s new website will feature an intuitive booking flow which will help customers easily find the lowest fares on every route we operate.
7. From 1 Dec, Ryanair will allow passengers to bring a 2nd small carry-on bag (small ladies handbag or small airport shopping bag) no bigger than 35 x 20 x 20 cms which will allow a bottle of wine or equivalent to be carried.
8. From 1 Dec, Ryanair’s boarding card reissue fee will be cut from €70/£70 to €15/£15 for customers who have already checked in online. However, Customers who fail to check-in online will still continue to pay a €70 airport check-in fee.
9. From 30 Dec, Ryanair’s new website will feature a new member service called “My Ryanair” which will allow customers to enter their details (name, address, credit card etc) and store them securely on the Ryanair.com website, saving customers time, every time they make bookings.
10. From 5 Jan 2014, Ryanair’s standard airport bag fees will be cut from €60/£60 to €30/£30 at the bag drop desk, and from €60/£60 to €50/£50 at the boarding gate, bringing them into line with competitor airline standard airport bag fees.
11. From 28 Feb 2014, Mobile phone boarding passes will be introduced which will allow customers the choice to either print their boarding passes or download them to their smart phones.
12. From 30 Mar 2014, a “Share the Fare” option will be introduced which will help customers find Ryanair low fares and share them on your favourite social network.
13. From 30 Apr 2014, Ryanair’s new website will include a “Fare Finder” feature which will allow customers to search for fares by price point, route and travel period. Customers will click a low fare and immediately find the dates and flights where it is available.
14. From 31 May 2014, A new mobile app will be launched which will make Ryanair’s fares and flight info readily available on all smartphones and tablet devices.
15. From 30 June 2014, Ryanair will release tailored language websites in all its major EU markets starting with a Spanish language tailored website and an Italian version, making the Ryanair.com website readily available and accessible in all Ryanair’s major EU markets during 2014.

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 2:40 pm 

Thank you Mickey!

Who'd have thought there was so much room for improvement?

PostPosted: November 12th, 2013, 3:47 pm 

Does anyone know when he is going to release his schedule for Stanstead to Lamezia for spring 2014?

PostPosted: January 25th, 2014, 10:29 pm 

Very useful information.
I am especially pleased about the 2nd bag allowance as a handbag is so useful especially when you board a crowded cramped plane and need your money or glasses from the suitcase .
I filled in their questionnaire recently and told them their boarding tactics and the way their staff acted as vigilanties on hand luggage scrutiny was on the verge of severe harassment.
I personally had minor panic attacks every time I had to board the staff were so unpleasant and aggressive at the gate . Good result Ryanair!

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 8:12 pm 

Totally agree ! Also the allocation of seats will save the horrendous mad rush we all dread!
All sounds good so far but wait and see!!

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 5:43 pm 

Yes, big changes, well overdue.

The first I noticed was how easy their website is now. Takes minutes to book a flight instead of the usual hour or so it took me, hunting to say... no to everything they offered. Great too that they have my personal details logged so when paying by the same method I don't have to add same details all the time.

We flew back to Lamezia on 9th January and it was good to be able to have a bag alongside cabin bag. Think in future they will find passengers taking on board sandwiches etc from Pret or Meal Deals from Boots in a bag rather than stuffed into cabin bag and praying not over weight limit. Just don't like buying food to eat from them... over inflated prices and not that good.

I'm going back to Scotland on 25th February for 10 days but although today I could print off my boarding pass from Stansted to Edinburgh with easyjet still cannot do it from Lamezia to Stansted with Ryanair. The same 15 days beforehand is still the same.

I also have been looking at their new routes mainly starting 1st April but cannot book.

Anyone know when they are available for booking?

Meanwhile ... here in Botricello east coast, today was just beautiful. Sunny and blue skies all day. 20 degrees. Weather is mixed and we have had heavy rain some days but bearable as lots of days we eat lunch outdoors. Sometimes we cannot believe that it is January.

I'm anxious to get my pre allocated seat for my next journey in February. The cynic in me thinks it will be middle of a row so that I have to buy a seat. Will let you know how it goes. Either way it will be better than that horrible run to the plane hoping to get a seat together and enough room to put our bags up above us. In the past I have occasionally pre booked seats as I travel alone sometimes but it gets so expensive as I travel back and forth quite regularly and have a further flight up north.

mags

mags

PostPosted: January 27th, 2014, 8:00 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I booked a flight for 4 persons before the seat allocation system came in but I paid for Priority Boarding.
Anyone know whether this queue will still be available so we can get to our Ryanair allocated seats early. I doubt if they will be allocated together !

PostPosted: January 29th, 2014, 7:56 pm 

Hi David
if you are not travelling before 25th February I'll check this out for you.
It is indeed a strange situation to be in. Hopefully your piority boarding will ensure that you have seats together. Last couple of times we travelled with them there was 4 rows of seats, middle cabin, reserved. That was November and December and January.
The plane each time was only 2 3rd full. The reserved seats were not used and many of the 3 rows had an empty seat great for us but maybe not so good for futute winter flights from here .

Weather up date from here. East coast Botricello yesterday was chilly needed jacket and scarf on going shopping. Todsy beautiful sunrise and sunset sunny and blue skies all day. Warm enough to eat lunch outdoors but coldish at night. Best buy was wood burning stove which heats bedroom radiators.

Drawback of day.. ENEL bill has arrived on time every 2 months. The only mail we get regularly here despite family and friends writing or sending cards.
Will open it tomorrow.
mags

PostPosted: January 29th, 2014, 10:14 pm 

Hi Mags,
I am flying out to Portugal on Ryanair from Bristol on the 28th April so would be grateful if you do find out any information.
I pay my Enel by DD from my Barclays Italia account it's so much easier this way. I can't remember now how I arranged the DD !!.
My 2013 Enel bill was 25% higher than what I paid in 2012. I did have a busy rental season last year but Enel must have increased their tariff.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2014, 11:09 pm 

i still am unable to view my enel bill online. i keep getting a message referring me to their freefone number
but i cant fone it from here in belfast. any help or advice greatly appreciated

PostPosted: January 30th, 2014, 7:36 pm 

Tony

Below is the telephone number for Enel. What I don't know is whether you will get through to an English speaker.

Good luck
Lorica

0039 06 64511012 - for calls from abroad
If you have a provision in Italian but you're abroad
The cost depends on your mobile operator

PostPosted: January 31st, 2014, 2:32 pm 

Hi Tonymcready3,
I will respond to you using the thread from The Board Index - 'Everything Else' - 'ENEL'.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2014, 5:27 pm 

thanks for that lorica

PostPosted: January 31st, 2014, 5:28 pm 

thanks for that lorica

PostPosted: February 7th, 2014, 4:24 pm 

Hi Mags,
I have contacted Ryanair by email re Priority Boarding payment before the seat allocation came in.
I had their reply today by email that I can have seat allocations granted if I ring their 0871 (10p/min) Reserrvation telephone number.
Just checked their website and found out that I can select my seats for free on-line as I had already paid £7 pp and can join the Priority Boarding queue at the airport.
They are still gaining an extra £2 pp as the seat allocation is only £5 !!!

PostPosted: February 10th, 2014, 5:08 pm 

Hello David
I checked in on line today 15 days before my flight as they request.
Been allocated a seat in the middle of a row B
Went onto their free chat line. Wanted to ask why as I must be one of the first to book.
Still waiting to be connected to an agent after 30 mins so have given up.

It did say that if you had pre booked priority boarding you could select your seat when you check in and would still get priority boarding. So no worries for you apart from having had to pay extra.

When I travel alone I sometimes pre book my seat but as I go back and forward every 6 weeks or so thought I'd risk the allocated seating.

In contrast my flight to Edinburgh from Stansted the same day and checked in a while back gave me a window seat. easyjet not Ryanair.

Return 10 days later but will have to wait to check in.

Meanwhile hope you are not affected by the awful weather in England and Wales We now have sky tv here in Calabria and have watched the terrible rain and floods.

mags

PostPosted: February 11th, 2014, 4:44 pm 

Hi Mags,
Surprisingly when I did check their website and found that I could select our seats nobody had pre-booked theirs so had the whole aircraft to choose from. I chose the £5 seats and as you said I can still join the Priority Queue. Presumably that will compensate us for the extra £2 pp we have paid.
What is annoying about this flight to Faro is that they have changed the departure times twice now.
We have been lucky despite all the rain and high winds in our part of Wales. No floods as other areas in Wales and England have suffered. I do feel so sorry for them in Somerset and the Home Counties.
I was supposed to take the train up to London yesterday but postponed it to next week which is just as well as the trains were disrupted all day and will be for some time yet. Just hope that all will be well by the 17th.
I will be in Calabria from the 21st - 28th May. I am going up north to just south of Salerno for a night on the 23rd to see the 500 AD Greek Temples in Paestum. If you are out there at that time maybe you'd like to visit the west coast or we could meet up on the East coast? I believe that it is only a couple of hours journey across Calabria.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2014, 7:11 pm 

I flew from lamezia 2 weeks ago.
Priority boarding passengers were still taken on first but despite everyone else having an allocated seat the queues still remained. I suspect everyone still wanted their cabin bag in the cabin.

I was stuck in the middle of 2 burly men who took over all the elbow room. I was about to ask if there was any spare aisle seats but kept quiet as 6 people had been booked into 3 seats!! Just behind me.
The cabin crew were good said it was a computer error and they managed to sort it out.

On my return on Saturday after flight from Scotland and overnight at Radisson, great breakfast by the way, I decided not to be in the queue and boarded at the end. No space for my cabin bag above my seat so was given a choice of 3 seats in emergency row I ended up with them all

First time ever that I can praise Ryanair but just lucky I guess as flight was not full

mags

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 6:28 pm 

Hi Mags
Curious is that Italian or uk sky tv? If uk could you let me know how have you achieved it?
Thanks
Allen