A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 9th, 2013, 12:09 pm 

An interesting snippet in one of the 'local' newspapers from four weeks ago i.e. 9th January 2013...

http://www.ilquotidianocalabria.it/news ... ase-a.html

In a predictable Ryanair fashion, Michael O'Leary effectively turned an interview into a 'standard' marketing campaign for his company. Should you be surprised?

The key messages, in a typical glass half full or glass half empty fashion, to me were:

1a) Half full: "THINKING of opening a Base at Lamezia".
1b) Half empty: I think about buying a Ferrari but doesn't necessarily mean i will actually do it. Was it actually a veiled political statement to the Lamezia Airport company? Please arrive at your own interpretation and conclusion.

2a) Half full: "...Answer some requests concerning... the links from Lamezia to Perugia and Turin".
2b) Half empty: So why were no answers given? A broadside shot to indicate Perugia Airport come and approach us for negotiations whilst conversley Alitalia/Air One, watch out as we may just become a competitor against you on the Turin route?

On a positive note, the fact that Michael O'Leary actually travelled to Lamezia to meet journalists may add some positive credence to his statements, especially the potential conversion to a Base. Similarly, this same message, if only a thought, could easily have been delivered by anyone else from the company and not necessarily directly from Lamezia.

From past memory if Mr O'Leary converts an airport to a Base he always arrives personally, before conversion, to make the announcement, so fingers crossed - I will watch with interest.

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 1:26 pm 

Fingers crossed then!

But Mickey, does it make sense to have a hub so far south?

PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 10:48 pm 

Hi Dennis,

You asked:

Dennis Onstenk wrote:

But Mickey, does it make sense to have a hub so far south?

In what context?

Q1: From a passenger number level on the basis of the limited population in Calabria?
A1: Yes - This may sound bazaar but the resident population is almost irrelevant. Ryanair will fly passengers IN to Lamezia with return tickets, rather than depend on the population of say a 160km radius of the airport that could fly OUT of Lamezia. The business model Ryanair adopts means that they can use Lamezia (or any other airport they so choose) as a 'Loss Leader' until a predictable baseline of returning annual passengers has been created. Typically, this baseline takes around circa 4 years to grow before it levels out, then ticket prices 'mysteriously' start to go up. Providing the baseline of passengers reaches a set number, say 750,000 per annum, then Ryanair considers converting the Airport to a Base. In relation to the principle mechanics of a 'Loss Leader', Ryanair simply heavily discounts air ticket prices to positively stimulate passenger traffic growth to/from the airport over, say, this same 4 year timescale. Conversely, the amount of 'discount' is then 'shared around' the cost of any other air ticket prices for any other routes Ryanair operates e.g. Discount the real price of a single Lamezia ticket say by £30, then simply increase the cost of a ticket on 60 other routes to any other destinations by £0.50p each... Ta-daa! This 'Loss Leader' principle has been used by all the Big supermarkets for many, many years. Remember the UK Baked Bean pricing wars of the early 1990's when you could buy a tin for 3 pence but washing powder had never been so expensive?! Strange that... ehh?

Q2: From a geographical positioning perspective?
A2: Yes - Similarly, as per Answer 1, this may sound bazaar but the geographical positioning is almost irrelevant. For the same reasons already given in Answer 1, Ryanair look to fly passengers in (with return tickets) rather than look to fly 'locals' out. The rationale of being too far in any direction, North, South, East or West, with this business model, is conventionally not relevant. To prove a point, on 15th September 2009, Ryanair converted Bari Airport to a Base. Arguably too far South with too small a 'local population'? To add 'method to their madness', on the very same day, 15th September 2009, Ryanair converted Brindisi Airport to a Base. Again too far South, with too small a 'local' population and only around 62 miles apart from the nearest neighbour airport of Bari! Madness? I'm not so sure.

I still sway 60/40 towards Ryanair potentially converting Lamezia to a Base and having at least 1 Aircraft based there. Ryanair is still looking to grow passenger numbers and it's strength in Italy. Especially if you factor in there frustrations of not being able to move forward with pace, with their involvement and introduction of flights to Salerno Airport - around 37 miles away from Naples Airport.

As always Dennis, time will tell.

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: December 20th, 2013, 12:48 am 

It's finally become Official then... THINKING has become REALITY as of 19th December 2013.

Happy Christmas!

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

Official Link: http://www.ryanair.com/it/novita/ryanai ... di-lamezia

Google Translation:

Ryanair Opens New Base Of Lamezia

10 Routes, Two New Routes of Rome Fiumicino and Venice (Treviso ) , Rise of
frequencies For Venice (Treviso), Estimated 1.1 Million Passengers Annually.

Ryanair, the favourite low fares airline in Europe, has opened today (December 19 2013) its new base in Lamezia with an assigned aircraft and 10 routes, including two new routes from Rome Fiumicino and Venice (Treviso), which will allow the transport up to 1.1 million passengers per year * supporting 1,100 jobs "in situ" .

The rates for the daily service of Ryanair from Rome Fiumicino to Lamezia ( 2 times a day ) start at just € 28.99 one way ( including taxes and charges ) , more than 60% cheaper than Alitalia's lowest rates on this route, which currently start at € 75 one way.

Ryanair celebrated the start of its operations from the new base of Lamezia providing seats on its entire European network with fares starting from only € 16.99 for travel in January and February 2014, available for booking until midnight (24: 00) Monday (23 December).

Speaking at Lamezia, John Alborante Ryanair, said: "Ryanair is delighted to open its new base at Lamezia , with two new routes to Rome Fiumicino and Venice (Treviso), which will allow us to carry up to 1.1 million passengers a year supporting 1,100 jobs " in situ " .

As the number 1 airline company in Italy we are continuing to meet with our airport partners , who want to make sure you have some domestic routes and flows to and from Rome Fiumicino , especially since Alitalia continues to restructure . Ryanair will ensure that connections to Rome and Southern Italy will be retained even if the plans were for Alitalia to reduce capacity on domestic routes and currently hundreds of Calabrian families are returning home in time for Christmas thanks to Ryanair's low fares , which start at just € 28.99 .

To celebrate the opening of our new base of Lamezia , Ryanair is making available seats on its entire European network with fares starting from only € 16.99 for travel to Europe on Mondays , Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in January and February, available for booking until midnight Monday (December 23 ) . Since seats at these incredibly low prices will be snapped up quickly, we urge passengers to book them immediately on www.ryanair.com . "

PostPosted: December 20th, 2013, 11:46 am 

I hope Ryanair will fly from Ireland to Lamezia next year

PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 1:47 pm 

travelcalabria wrote:

I hope Ryanair fly from Ireland to Lamezia too. Two flights are veryt expensive and time consuming! How can we get a petition going for them to do this?

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2014, 9:29 pm 

JohnMF wrote:
travelcalabria wrote:

I hope Ryanair fly from Ireland to Lamezia too. Two flights are veryt expensive and time consuming! How can we get a petition going for them to do this?

PostPosted: January 13th, 2014, 7:35 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Apart from the Irish wanting a flight to Lamezia it would be good if they flew from somewhere in northern England. This would open up Calabria for them and would benefit the local economy greatly.
I have missed out on several rentals due to the fact that Stansted is not easy nor economical for them.
I wonder if there is an easy and economical flights to travel to an Italian or European airport and then on to Lamezia. Does anyone fly from northern England to Lamezia? There must be northerners who have bought in Calabria.
davidnam