A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 1:02 pm 

Hello all,

over at http://www.calabriahomes.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3332 I reported live on the news at the Ryanair and Lamezia Airport press release.

Below is a summary and this section is open for comments.
Attachment:
15041102.JPG
15041102.JPG [ 361.95 KiB | Viewed 11067 times ]

The press conference was held at the SaCAL offices at Lamezia airport and attended by On. Giuseppe Scopelliti, President of the Region Calabria, On. Antonio Caridi, regional head of Industry Department, Sen. Ing. Vincenzo Speziali, president of Sacal and Dr. Melissa Corrigan, Ryanair Sales & Marketing Manager for Italy.

Before the conference I had a chance to talk with the airport department that can take credit for making this happen, they said they have an excellent working relationship with Ryanair and that the target now is to make Lamezia a Ryanair base and hub with several planes based there.

For the summer of 2011 there are 27 routes from Lamezia to cities around the world.

Ryanair's current schedule for 2011 has the potential to bring 700.000 people to Calabria and they are very pleased the booking results so far. Calabria clearly is a well performing and popular destination.

The president of the region of Calabria, mr Scopelliti announced that the new flights are part of a greater plan to improve conditions and public services in the region. Many councils are pushing to improve services in the tourism and Calabrian products sector and to facilitate and support the development for the private sector across the region. Mr. Scopelliti is a young, dynamic and very hard working professional, with a vision for the region. We met at a conference in 2004 in Crotone when he was responsible for tourism in that province and where I held a seminar about the importance in the 21st century of low cost flights for the development of tourism.

Ms Corrigan of Ryanair confirmed publicly that a great synergy and friendship has developed between the Ryanair team and the airport authority that is bringing great results to all involved and looks to bringing many more jobs to the area.

She wished the best of luck to he airport and is confident that today the new flights are only the beginning of greater things to come. To celebrate the new routes Ryanair has launched a promotion with 1 million tickets to Lamezia priced at 7 euro.

Perhaps the greatest news of today is the official confirmation that a Ryanair base in Calabria is formally in the pipeline for the near future and that the routes that started this week will be active also in the winter.

Below some pictures of the conference taken with my telephone and others about the new international terminal as scanned from the airport magazine.

Dennis.

Attachments:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 74.86 KiB | Viewed 11067 times ]
15041101.JPG
15041101.JPG [ 508.83 KiB | Viewed 11067 times ]
15041103.JPG
15041103.JPG [ 137.9 KiB | Viewed 11067 times ]
PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 4:17 pm 

That sounds encouraging, I think.
What many of us would like to know, Dennis, is what do you think the chances are that within the next couple of years there will be flights to Lamezia from a UK airport other than Stansted.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 4:35 pm 

Thank you Dennis for the updates from the Press Conference. I was off work today and read all your posts as they were sent.
For those wishing to rent out their homes in Calabria it can only be good news, not just for renting to people in the U.K. but if Ryanair do have a base at Lamezia the opportunity to rent to other Europeans would be open.
Like Dancing Brave I would love to know if there was any chance of flights from north of London. Scotland would be fantastic but northern England would also be good.
Thanks again for taking the to feed us all this info.

mags

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 4:36 pm 

missed out time!

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 6:59 pm 

Encouraging, but also a bit apple-pie and aspirational without much detail.

When you talk lots about good relations, it's often because you've nothing to say.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 8:09 am 

gsullymorgan wrote:
Encouraging
When you talk lots about good relations, it's often because you've nothing to say.

Whilst I agree with you in general, I find it very encouraging that although the talking heads at the conference where mostly older men the deal has been closed by two young and very professional women on either side who have worked on this for several years.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 8:56 am 

can anyone advise if ryan air are starting flights to london for the winter of 2011/2012 as I think they stop on 28th october at this time?

PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 9:28 am 

Hi UkMario,

the winter flights are not published yet but I have been informed that the routes will operate throughout the winter as well, perhaps at a difference schedule however.

Dennis.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 7:32 am 

Dennis

Thank you for your reply, all you do is much appreciated
regards
Mario

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 8:06 pm 

Anyone why easyjet flights lamezia/rome are not bookable at the moment

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 7:56 pm 

hi,where these £7 flights so far in august alitalia is cheaper at £460,cheers brian.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 2:16 am 

Thanks for this Dennis. Whilst I personally detest getting to and from Stanstead I appreciate bargain flights and getting to Lamezia intstead of further up the country, so really its good news for tourism to Calabria and an improvement on the current situation. I guess if this route is successful then other UK destinations might well be looked at in the futre , but you have to (re)start somewhere.

Now, someone please tell me where these £7 flights are! Pretty please....

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 7:45 am 

MrsTeapot wrote:
Thanks for this Dennis.
Now, someone please tell me where these £7 flights are! Pretty please....

Well perhaps unrelated but we have booked 7 euro tickets to Stockholm and Paris from Lamezia. I find that on popular routes and times you need to book about 3 months in advance.

Dennis.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 8:06 pm 

hi,its now 4 months in advance and 2 people in august are £590 ,brian.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 10:56 am 

NO CHANCE of cheap flights in August... peak of peak season ... could fill planes three times over, so why discount?

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 11:01 am 

best chance for late bookings on may/sep flights may be Avro,
for Monarch flights lgw /suf /lgw