A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2010, 11:01 pm 

If you click on the link below a new window will open.
If you glance to the right hand side of the screen, in an orange colour font called “Video Del 13 Novembre 2010” click on the 6th choice called “Si torna a volare”

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

http://www.telereggiocalabria.it/tutti- ... a=20101113

You will then see a short video that was shown on Calabrian Regional TV that indicates sadly that Ryanair will NOT be flying to Reggio Di Calabria Airport… at least not in the foreseeable future. Please wait or skip forward to the ultimate last minute or so to hear the Italian announcement.

I have once again edited and para-phrased the response which I believe reads in Italian roughly as follows:

In occasione della Conferenza dei Servizi il Governatore della Calabria Giuseppe Scopelliti dichiara:

“Io devo dire e ce lo diciamo tra di noi che ho avuto un incontro oltre un mese fa anche con Ryanair, la quale Ryanair abbiamo chiuso una serie di accordi e cercato ovviamente insieme all’Aeroporto di Lamezia dove loro già operano di inserire l’Aeroporto di Reggio Calabria e sapete tutti che Ryanair non ha bisogno di grande promozione perche porta l’utenza un po dove ci sono gli aeroporti un po dove appunto loro atterrano. Il limite nostro è quello che diciamo da tanti anni. Loro con i loro 737 non sono in grado di atterrare a Reggio Calabria, almeno in questa fase dove vogliamo fare degli approfondimenti e quindi hanno declinato in questo momento ma speriamo soltanto che sia per il momento l’invito. Altrimenti si poteva fare un colpaccio si poteva portare anche Ryanair a Reggio Calabria. I problemi sono questi… i limiti del nostro Aeroporto, le opere che non partono, fondi comunitari fermi per la realizzazione dell’infrastutturazione dell’Aeroporto da anni, insomma cose inutile che ci ripetiamo sono sempre le stesse però dobbiamo mettere in moto un meccanismo… anche gli stessi Aliscafi che arrivano da Messina mi pare che portino 10 – 15 persone e non sono risultati confortanti e sono soldi che vengono investiti male.”

For those who perhaps struggle somewhat with Italian, I have used my artistic licence to translate the statement as I believe it was meant

On the occasion of the Conference of Services, the Governor of Calabria Giuseppe Scopelliti said:

"I had a meeting over a month ago with Ryanair… The closure on a number of agreements was reached and of course I tried to add Reggio Calabria Airport as a new Ryanair destination like the airport of Lamezia where they already operate. As you all know Ryanair does not need any great promotion (of a new route) because of it’s (huge) customer base that it carries… where ever they have an airport is exactly where their customers land.

The limitations (of the airport) are what we have being say for many years. With their (Boeing) 737’s (Ryanair) CAN NOT land in Reggio Calabria, at least not at this stage.
We would willingly, start (joint exploratory site) investigations, however (Ryanair) have declined the invitation at this time but we hope that it is only (just) for the moment.
Ultimately it would be a coup if Ryanair could operate from Reggio Calabria.

The problems are these ... the limitations (of the design) of the airport, the site improvement work that never starts, the stoppage of (promised) regional community funds for (what is now) many years (intended) for the construction of infrastructure at the Airport.

In short, the same issues that we have repeatedly discussed amongst ourselves remain but we must set in motion a mechanism to move forward... The same situation exists with the Hydrofoils coming from Messina which seem to only bring 10 to 15 people, the results are not encouraging, and money that has arrived has been invested badly.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 9:00 am 

Hydro to Messina did not know about that is it a car ferry as well. Where does it operate from?

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 6:53 pm 

Basically the runway is too short and the money assigned to elongate it is stuck somewhere. Much like Salerno airport then.

Maybe better direct all efforts and funds to make one aiport (lamezia) operate well.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 9:48 pm 

What about Crotone airport, is that not a possibility ?

PostPosted: November 25th, 2010, 3:16 pm 

well there is no need if Lemezia is back on the map as it appears.