A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 10th, 2010, 6:47 pm 

Below is an extract from The Independent report about Calabria concerning flights:
--
The promised explosion in Calabria's tourist popularity will require the region's airports being upgraded and links to more destinations being added. Sacal S.p.A is the company that manages Calabria's international airport. The president, Vincenzo Speziali, spoke about the company's strategies to improve the region's accessibility. The strategy focuses on low cost airlines which have become the key players in the European airline industry. The region is already serviced by Easyjet which flies in and out of Lamezia. From April next year Ryanair will connect Lamezia to many important European and British cities. "We forecast that the company will transport 350 thousand passengers annually to Lamezia: Calabria will open up to the world" said Speziali.
--
Read the full report at:http://www.calabriahomes.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3063&p=25891#p25891

PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 11:12 am 

I do hope the start again I loath changing planes but I do not like catching one at 6 am when I live on the otherside of the country

PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 12:02 pm 

Ryanair have cut back on flights to Frankfurt due to tourist tax by Germany they have also cut flights to Marseille in France ,the planes are going to Italy and Spain for summer 2011 .

PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 1:52 pm 

Do Ryan air need routes for the planes they took away from us in Belfast -I hope they will give us back the Stansted -lamezia route or at least a flight from anywhere in the uk to Lamezia

PostPosted: November 11th, 2010, 10:19 pm 

have`nt our airport taxes just virtually doubled ? Thats not going to help us very much is it. Hope its true about Uk - Lamezia flights, but there have been a few false dawns over the past year so not going to get too excited just yet. Well, a bit exited maybe :lol:

PostPosted: November 12th, 2010, 12:41 am 

An interesting piece from Ken O'Toole (Director of Route Development) of Ryanair from the World Travel Market event held between 8-11 Nov 2010 at the ExCel Exhibition and Conference Centre in the London Docklands:

http://www.routesonline.com/news/36/the ... -director/

43% Market share of Italy with intended future growth...

Announcements of new routes anticipated towards the end of November in order to capture bookings for the Summer 2011 season, was the announcement made at the ExCel Centre but does not appear in "print".

Similarly, no mention in "print" that Ryanair are desperate to start routes to the third biggest city of Naples and have confirmed that they still remain in dialogue with Salerno Airport on the basis that the timescale for requirement of an extended runway can be clarified.

All bodes well for the future me thinks?

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: November 12th, 2010, 4:45 am 

Very interesting indeed. I like the case studies, particularly.

The strategic importance on having even just one aircraft with crew based locally is incredible: the amount of weekly routes that become possible, the destinations within reach, and the amount of people transported is impressive.

Thanks for this bit of insidish information!

Dennis.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2010, 5:58 am 

As reported in Italy on http://www.ttgitalia.com/pagine/Ryanair ... -news.aspx

Summary, new routes in Italy, subject to incentives from regional authorities.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2010, 10:44 am 

This makes total economic sense, any airline that will get subsidised routing capabilaty would be mad not to base AC (Aircraft) in the local area,not just Italy either, what with Airport taxes in the Uk just gone thru the roof (Not just for us passengers) along with fees paid to the local UK CAA, then to outsource/base an A/C in Lamezia for example would allow the airline to keep operating costs down.

Just think...........
Landing fee's are some 15% cheaper at Lamezia than Stanstead.
Parking is 18% per night cheaper (yep they have to pay to park over night, just like you would in a car park)
Employment wages and taxes are some 8-10% cheaper in relation
So taking just the above into account it just simple mathmatics for them. It just makes sense as far as they are concerned, let alone the fact that Avgas (Aviation fuel) is 4% cheaper than in the UK at the moment.

Take into account it also allows for the local job seekers to be allowed the chance of employment with a international airline, ok Ryanair per say dont pay great in relation to the others but it is employment none the less. Then come the local aviation companys that will provide services to them, its win, win as far as all are concerned, however and i do mean this with all respect, lets hope that the bubble is not burst yet again by the greed from the past that saw Mr O'leary pull out after having a economic gun pointed at his head, i hope and pray that some sense will prevail....This time!

After talking to a "little bird" that knows about these things, i will also bet my house that Lamezia-Stansted will restart from April next year. Look for anouncement from the 28th onwards and keep an eye on Ryanairs routes within there site.

Now thats good for all concerned, you as a holiday home owner, holiday makers and local tourist bussines alike.
Mind you, the wingers will moan. You just cant educate pork!.......and for that statment i do not appoligise, that im affraid, is a fact!

Mark

PostPosted: November 13th, 2010, 12:40 pm 

Wait for the 28 then. Hope it is later in the day thou cld get to Italy in one day rather than 2.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2010, 12:36 pm 

Thou couldst?
verily these are good tidings :D

PostPosted: December 7th, 2010, 9:08 pm 

Anyone know when Ryanair's summer flights will be online?

PostPosted: December 7th, 2010, 10:40 pm 

No it's all still up in the air :D

PostPosted: December 8th, 2010, 9:54 am 

Beauyash wrote:
Anyone know when Ryanair's summer flights will be online?

I asked the airport's marketing manager a couple of days ago and he said to "wait with confidence" .... which is better than "wait and cross your fingers".

Oh well, fingers crossed.

Greetings from a sunny and warm Calabrian bank holiday.

Dennis.