A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 17th, 2010, 9:10 pm 

Does anyone actually really know why Ryanair no longer fly to Lamezia from Stansted. I heard rumours it was due to extortionate landing fees at Lamezia but if thats the case why are Ryanair still flying internally from other Italian airports to Lamezia. Ryanairs website do not state why they have stopped flying there either. It is so frustrating as there are no budget airlines now flying into Calabria at all. Someone out there must know what the real reason is. Any input gratefully received. Thanks

PostPosted: May 1st, 2010, 11:32 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi myjeanie,
I assume you mean direct flights from Stansted (STN) to Lamezia Terme (SUF).
I personally think it is a commercial decision brought on by the recession.
By suspending / cancelling the direct flights STN to SUF the flights STN to Milan (Bergamo BGY) and STN to Pisa now carry more passengers as are the internal Italian flights from BGY and Pisa to Lamezia. This has been a blow to us British home owners in Calabria and for the potential UK holiday makers we were hoping to rent our properties to in Calabria. I have lost out on at least 8 weeks of bookings from UK holiday makers because there are no direct flights.

This brings me on to another grumble I have with Ryanair these past days.
I booked a flight FR 4196 to BGY ETD 1400 ETA 1655 to connect with FR 5092 to SUF ETD 1850. This was a new time scheduled by Ryanair and it then gave you sufficient time (about 2 hours) between flights. This would avoid having to get up early in the morning, paying £40 for a taxi to STN from north London.
Ryanair emailed me this week to state that the flight FR 5092 BGY to SUF had been rescheduled back to the old time of ETD 1720. This now only gives 25 minutes before the rescheduled take off time , so it is impossible to connect to the flight.
Ryanair were prepared to reshedule my flight BGY to SUF for the next day presumably free of charge. This is not that simple as it would mean booking a hotel, organise taxis and reschedule the pick up of the hire car at SUF.
Ryanair were not prepared to change my STN to BGY flight to the earlier 0640 flight free of charge. In the end I had to book new flights from STN to BGY to the 0640 flight and will now have a 7 hour wait in BGY !!!
Thankfully the cost of the new flight was only £15 for each of us (no hold luggage and paying by prepaid Master Card) but I will not get any rebate for the BGY to SUF sector that I booked originally.
Ryanair has cost me a £100 this past fortnight with the extra flights I have had to purchase and the cost of the one and a quarter hours mobile calls cost from Italy to their UK Call Centre to uncheck my return UK flights so I could rebook them online due to the Iceland volcano.
Life is a bitch at times !!
davidnam

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 2:21 pm 

With the current low profile Ryanair is 'enjoying' at the moment in the wake of the volcanic ash debacle I'd be inclined to fax your complaint over to them(and post it) and see what happens. Miracles may happen!

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 12:21 pm 

davidnam wrote:
Hi myjeanie,
I assume you mean direct flights from Stansted (STN) to Lamezia Terme (SUF).
I personally think it is a commercial decision brought on by the recession.
By suspending / cancelling the direct flights STN to SUF the flights STN to Milan (Bergamo BGY) and STN to Pisa now carry more passengers as are the internal Italian flights from BGY and Pisa to Lamezia. This has been a blow to us British home owners in Calabria and for the potential UK holiday makers we were hoping to rent our properties to in Calabria. I have lost out on at least 8 weeks of bookings from UK holiday makers because there are no direct flights.

This brings me on to another grumble I have with Ryanair these past days.
I booked a flight FR 4196 to BGY ETD 1400 ETA 1655 to connect with FR 5092 to SUF ETD 1850. This was a new time scheduled by Ryanair and it then gave you sufficient time (about 2 hours) between flights. This would avoid having to get up early in the morning, paying £40 for a taxi to STN from north London.
Ryanair emailed me this week to state that the flight FR 5092 BGY to SUF had been rescheduled back to the old time of ETD 1720. This now only gives 25 minutes before the rescheduled take off time , so it is impossible to connect to the flight.
Ryanair were prepared to reshedule my flight BGY to SUF for the next day presumably free of charge. This is not that simple as it would mean booking a hotel, organise taxis and reschedule the pick up of the hire car at SUF.
Ryanair were not prepared to change my STN to BGY flight to the earlier 0640 flight free of charge. In the end I had to book new flights from STN to BGY to the 0640 flight and will now have a 7 hour wait in BGY !!!
Thankfully the cost of the new flight was only £15 for each of us (no hold luggage and paying by prepaid Master Card) but I will not get any rebate for the BGY to SUF sector that I booked originally.
Ryanair has cost me a £100 this past fortnight with the extra flights I have had to purchase and the cost of the one and a quarter hours mobile calls cost from Italy to their UK Call Centre to uncheck my return UK flights so I could rebook them online due to the Iceland volcano.
Life is a bitch at times !!
davidnam

Hi

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Ryanair did a similar thing to us and we had an 8hour delay in Bergamo but we took the no.1 bus to the alta citta (the old city) and it is beautuful.Take the finicular up to the castle and there are restaurants there with beautiful views of the Alps, the time soon went and the buses run regularly so no rushing . and they are cheap.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 5:14 pm 

Has anyone travelled from Milan Malpensa to Bergamo for connecting flights? We were going to try easyjet at Malpensa and then travell to Bergamo for a Ryanair flight 4 hours later.
Caz :?:

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 7:19 pm 
Another Ryanair route from London Stansted worth checking as a option is London to Dusseldorf to Lamezia terme, looks like it may work for some people.
It can be economical, flights in June,for the dusseldorf leg are currently being advertised from £12.99 in June, it is a busy route for the Germans and the Dutch on the Lamezia leg but can be cheap too if there is availability.

http://www.ryanair.com

PostPosted: May 5th, 2010, 10:00 pm 

we are in Scotland so that option isn't good for us, just wish Ryanair would reinstate their Stanstead flights.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 2:04 pm 

gazncaz - we travelled bergamo to malpensa and I wouldn't really recommend it. 4 hours won't be long enough, particularly if you're thinking public transport. We stayed overnight and had a right hassle hiring a car to go from one airport to the other as public transport didn't work at night and the taxi was going to be over a hundred pound! Might be cheaper and easier to try and find whoever flies from either malpensa (don't easyjet) or who flies into bergamo. Thanks Liz

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 2:34 pm 

you can or you could get the terravision airport bus into and out of Milan, a lot cheaper than a taxi, Terravision covers all airports in Milan, same with Rome.

Cheers Diane

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 9:24 pm 

we are flying from Lamezia to Milan Bergamo on our return home journey. we have an awful long wait for the connecting flight so intend to go into the dity to look round and pass the time!
two questions are is it easy to get a bus in the city from the airport, how much? But does anyone know if there are storage facilities for luggage, if we are to go into the city even hand luggage will be a hinderance??

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 10:03 pm 
There is storage facilities at bergamo airport, The bus for Milan is outside main doar it takes at least one hour to get to the city. The bus for bergamo is also outside main doar it takes 20 minutes to get there.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 10:40 pm 

Bergamo is a lovely city and well worth a visit. If you catch the bus, take the Citta Alta one which will take you to the historial part.
The Porta Nuova bus takes you to the lower part of Bergamo.........the more modern area. There are some shops in the lower part which include the Coin Department Store.
I don't remember the cost of the ticket........a couple of Euros....

Alternatively, if you like shopping, the Orio Centre is literally across the road from the airport. We spent a lovely day there (after leaving our luggage at the airport for less than 10 euros) drinking coffee, having lunch, shopping, ice-cream and an early dinner.
The day went too quickly!

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 2:48 pm 
Thanks for the info :)
I have 4 hours on the way out and back to kill

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 1:18 pm 

According to the following the flights have been re-instated, however the Ryaniar web page does not show it yet, but this is an industry specific website, which presumably have been advised of the impending change.

http://www.theairdb.com

Fingers crossed once more!!!!

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 4:34 pm 

Thank you Tuffareo for this one.

I will copy your post to the news section, from there it gets syndicated to the InCalabria news page, Facebook and Twitter.

Dennis.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2010, 4:09 pm 

Hi, all

According to an email I have received, it is now possible to book. However, I have been unable to do so. The website seems very confusing and there's no mention of the new route and timetable in the relevant section.
I am a little confused and would welcome any advice.

On a slightly different note, I travelled from Heathrow to Rome yesterday and was stranded at Fiumicino airport fro 8 hours. I missed the connection at 17,20 for Lamezia (the London plane left late because of snow and ice) and was reeboked on the 20:00 flight which ended up leaving at 12,00 (I arrived at my finaldestination at around 2,30 in the morning) Alitalia staff at the gate were young and inexperienced, people did not get any updates and no senior manager was around. Excuses ranged from poor weather,to the plane on its way from Genoa to the bus not being available to get the passengers on the plane. Being with 2 samll children I thought at one point about booking myself into a hotel, as it was getting really very late...
Some passengers seemed quite resigned and told me that this is the norm with Alitalia, others raised their voices...As per a formal complaint - anybody knows how to go about? Some people meantioned "doing un esposto"...to whom?! Sorry about the rant,but the whole issue about being left in the dark until themoment we boarded the plane was truly awful!

PostPosted: December 18th, 2010, 4:35 pm 

No harm , a little deflating when we go to try and book and cannot,as always its important to get ones facts correct before releasing such news to prevent people waiting their time

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 12:24 pm 

matthew wrote:
No harm , a little deflating when we go to try and book and cannot,as always its important to get ones facts correct before releasing such news to prevent people waiting their time

Sorry about that - it appears to be works in progress on the Ryanair website. I must have gotten carried away in my excitement.

However, there are direct flights bookable already: on the 27th of March 2011.

Dennis.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 5:52 pm 

Just checked the Ryanair website.
Lamezia as a destinatiion has now been taken off the "Going to" drop down menu, it was there when I looked at it a few days ago!!
I am an optimist so I am sure it is only because of them working on the website.
davidnam

PostPosted: December 19th, 2010, 6:59 pm 

It's there on 'book cheap flights' but it is not on the frontpage.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 6:45 pm 

Hi all,
must be me, but I have tried to look for Stanstead / Lamezia in April 2011 on book cheap flights but after selecting London Stanstead as departure Airport it does not offer Lamezia as a destination???
Regards,
John.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2010, 9:45 pm 

yep same has happened to me too. Was this a little bit of false hope or is it all going to come on line does anyone know whats going on?

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 12:08 am 

gipsee5 wrote:
is it all going to come on line does anyone know whats going on?

The flights were announced a month ago by the region of Calabria, since confirmed by the airport authority, have been loaded into the airport computers and are now being loaded on the website by Ryanair.

So, whilst I don't know what is going on, I am confident that it is a work in progress. Perhaps the weather is causing a bit of a delay?

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 2:46 am 

I have booked one way stn/suf 27 march £19.99 plus tax so presumably the rest of the schedule being loaded as we speculate. :D

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 12:08 pm 

I can book a flight to Lamezia on the 27th of march,but no return flight.Anybody having the same problems.Hope calabria gets put on the map next year. Still want a flight from DUBLIN. :?

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2010, 12:27 pm 

see the other Ryanair topics for info, no likelihood of dublin flights in short term

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 5:48 pm 

Looking under Book Cheap Flights at the bottom of Ryanair website - you can now book flights (including return) from 2 March 2011 - Flights are on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
Get booking !
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year !!!!

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 6:26 pm 

1429162 wrote:
Looking under Book Cheap Flights at the bottom of Ryanair website - you can now book flights (including return) from 2 March 2011 - Flights are on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
Get booking !
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year !!!!

What a lovely present for Xmas, at last we can book the flights hip hip hooray!!!!!. Merry Xmas everyone & guys & gals get booking.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 10:18 pm 

Had a look at the website it is geat value for March 51 euro return for a return flight brillant news

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 10:27 pm 

You cannot book as yet, hey are still working on the website. I have noticed some flights as if they are going out from Stansted on a Sunday and flights in the summer are not installed as yet.
I look forward to seeing what actual days they fly out of Stansted and return from Lamezia on the various days they will fly. The ETD's are very good and the prices that you see at the moment appear excellent, but I take all this with a pinch of salt until they are confirmed.
I am sure that they will make a big announcement when the site is up and running for us to book flights and it will only be then we will know the correct ETD's and cost of the flights. One thing I am sure about is that they will be cheaper than Avro (Monarch) flights.
davidnam

PostPosted: December 26th, 2010, 2:25 pm 

Flights on the website are from 2nd March to 13 th of April Sun Mon WED friday different times going from London Stansted, 11 TO 5 o clock ,Lamezia to London 21.05

PostPosted: December 27th, 2010, 8:38 pm 

Dear All,

In addition to davidnam's beautifully put summary and travelcalabria's confirmation of further dates becoming available from 2nd march to 13th April, after 10 minutes of tinkering on the website, i notice that Wednesday flights going in/out are also now available from Wed 6 July 2011 upto and including Wed 31 August 2011.

The conclusion for even the staunchest non-believer is that flights WILL return in 2011. I too are somewhat a little nervous as to the precise departure and arrival times and personally would be ecstatic if flight times remained remotely similar to what is visible at the moment.

Call me old fashioned but i appear to be getting a little long in the tooth now to travel three hours to arrive around three hours before a flight departs for a 6.00am departure. My God... self inflicted torture that i have paid for?!

A Happy New Year to all contributors, observers and readers alike.

Regards,

Mickey 'O'

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 3:55 pm 

Hi all,

here is the current situation with Ryanair flights, feel free to update this page if the flights change:

Flights now start on 2 March flying mon-wed-fri
from 27 march sun-mon-wed-fri
13 april is last bookable flight.

Dennis.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 4:38 pm 

Every wednesday from the 6th of july 2011 to the 31st of august is also available to book.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 5:30 pm 

BeaAlisha wrote:
Every wednesday from the 6th of july 2011 to the 31st of august is also available to book.

hi can you tel me which airport ' from 6th july to 31 aug

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 7:00 pm 

Hello James.

it is on the -book cheap flight- menu from the frontpage, select london stansted and it will show also lamesia for example on 6 july return 13.

http://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/FRS ... b&lc=en-gb

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 7:59 pm 

Return flight from London stansted to Lamezia 6th to 13th july 86 pounds great value for summer

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 9:19 pm 

BeaAlisha
Thank you for the link, couldn't book it on the usual RYANAIR website.
The flight times are great, leave London Stanstead at 11.15 arrive Lamezia 15.15 Wed July 6th
Return from Lamezia leaves at 15.40
Wed July 27th

This means only 2 flights from Scotland, both on the same day.
We have recently managed to do it in one day but meant really early flight from Edinburgh and having to cross Rome and on return 3 flights, Lamezia, Rome, Gatwick then Edinburgh.

Our total cost with a VISA DEBIT CARD WAS £251.96. THIS INCLUDED A BAG FOR EACH OF US BOTH WAYS in the hold WEB CHECK IN AND HANDLING FEE.

The original flight cost was £73.98 PP

Don't know how to avoid the baggage charge as we wont make the same mistake as we did several years ago when I bought a huge suitcase and put everything in it and had to pay over £100 in excess baggage.

Never mind at £251.96 it is a good price. I will just need to stop taking bottles of whiskey out as gifts and travel lightly.

Thank you so much agin for the link.
mags

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 9:55 am 

Ryanair have no dates available on the website london stansted to Lamezia ,

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 1:31 pm 

:? I've clicked on all the links above but can see NO flights. Yeah the route is there but for example the 6th July spoken about above is not available. Am I missing something? Do not even see the route being announced on the 'new routes' page.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 4:53 pm 

Indeed, I confirm there is nothing online at the moment .... But as reported elsewhere on the forum you can book over the phone for now. Suppose they are working to put the schedule online.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 5:56 pm 

I couldn't book using the usual Ryanair website but when I clicked on the link in BeaAlisha's post I got straight through and was able to book to go out on the 6th July and return on the 27th.
Times and prices are on my earlier post.
I've had confirmation by email from Ryanair, just hope that it goes ahead but will maybe delay booking flights from Scotland until I know of others who have booked onto these flights.
Good Luck!
mags

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 7:20 pm 

:roll: i have tried bea alishas link,no joy,ryanair website ,no joy,skyscanners,no joy........aaargh!!!!!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 7:24 pm 

:mrgreen: i tried bea alishas link,no joy,ryanair website no joy,skyscanners no joy :roll: is it cos i is irish :lol:

PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 8:23 pm 

Nothing to do with being Irish, I'm sure. I'm Scottish and a numpty when it comes to computers. Think it was just luck for me.
If it helps the flight no. going out FR4966 return FR4967
mags

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 2:04 pm 

I just tried to book on the telephone, but they are not taking bookings at present.
Apparently the schedule is subject to change so they have been withdrawn at present.

Tyke

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 6:21 pm 

Does anyone have a telephone number direct to Ryanair ??

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 7:49 pm 

spoke to Ryanair yesterday concerning flights that we have booked for August 11. Wanted to know if there was a problem with the flight as it has been taken of the site. The lady I spoke to told me that I did not have to worry about the flights I have already booked, but if there was any cancellations I would be informed by email, however there may be a change in the timings.
Ryanair it seems are having some problems with the airport, or is it the airport having problems with Ryanair!
.posting.php?mode=reply&f=62&t=2760#

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 7:51 pm 

You can try 0871 246 0000 I got through and a lady said they had been taken off line for the moment, as they were still making some changes to the route/Flight times etc so she advised to wait.No bookings even over the phone !

Regards

The cobbler

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 7:58 pm 

This is really worrying as we have booked hire car for 3 weeks.
Time booked off work for these three weeks.
Don't know how Ryanair can mess people around so much.
I'm not just talking about me but all those who have spent ages trying to book.
mags