A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Dear All

Just spoke to the Marketing Manager for aviation at Lamezia Airport.

I discussed all the various scenarios, including the previous contender Seagle Air, Easyjet, Air Berlin, Ryan Air.

Seagle Air we all know is finito.

He confirmed they has discussed direct flights with Easyjet, it seems they were interested (but obviously not enough) as he informed that they are not putting on the route as they do not have enough planes.

Ryan Air as we have all suspected has been the most likely contender, the manager has said he will give me an update in around a month or so and confirmed that it is possible that the Ryan Air flight will be back around April time.

Our hopes have been dashed before, but if this is the airport's intention, hopefully it can and will happen.

He seemed like a straight talking guy, so if he felt there was no way forward with Ryan Air, they way the conversation was going, I am sure he would have just said no.

I mentioned Air Berlin and he acknowledged this could be a future possibility, but nothing concrete yet.

If I do not hear back in a month, I'll chase, I have his direct email, landline and mobile, so I will make my best effort to get in contact with him!

Seemed a friendly chap.

All the best

Alex

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 4:39 pm 

Dear Alex
Thanks for your efforts to get news on this flight to lamezia I am really keen and I think many others to have it restored and so if you need backing support or we can do anything just say
Thanks
Pamela

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

If anyone wants to send me an email confirming they want a direct flight from London to Lamezia, I'll collate them say over a 2 week period and fire them off to my contact in one go. A fresh load of emails might look more impressive than an old petition attached to one email.

My work email is alex@occupa.co.uk

I'll post the response in a couple of weeks, will be interesting to see how many people make the effort to send a quick email.

Thanks

Alex.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 7:41 pm 

Brilliant idea, and whilst you are at it, please sign our E-Petition on:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Choicetolamezia

I will personally print it out and give a copy to the airport administration and to the new President of Region Calabria after the March elections.

Dennis.

(Update: 855 signatures so far)

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 9:14 pm 

Why london to lamezia?? what about some other departure point that might be less expensive in ground fees than london. East Midlands, liverpool, Leeds would be half way for a lot of buyers including scotland.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 9:43 pm 

I am all for regional departures for british buyer's but would a flight to e/mids or Leeds etc be attractive for the Calabrian's who mainly used the Stansted flight to visit London for leisure or business ? If the answer is no then would that lead to less demand for the flights & little or no profit for the airline ?

PostPosted: February 1st, 2010, 9:59 pm 

paulg67 wrote:
I am all for regional departures for british buyer's but would a flight to e/mids or Leeds etc be attractive for the Calabrian's who mainly used the Stansted flight to visit London for leisure or business ? If the answer is no then would that lead to less demand for the flights & little or no profit for the airline ?

Im irish would love to see flights from Dublin to Lamezia. There is a good irish contingent who have purchased in Caulonia

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 10:49 am 

alex.r wrote:
If anyone wants to send me an email confirming they want a direct flight from London to Lamezia, I'll collate them say over a 2 week period and fire them off to my contact in one go. A fresh load of emails might look more impressive than an old petition attached to one email.

I'll post the response in a couple of weeks, will be interesting to see how many people make the effort to send a quick email.

Thanks

Alex.

Hi all lets all get together and e.mail and give Alex our support, even get friends and family to do it, after all they will probably want to stay with you at some point in Calabria so it's for their benefit too !! get typing :D

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 2:17 pm 

Well done Alex.

I have sent my e-mail to you. Good luck

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 3:19 pm 

Take your point Paulg67 but how many Uk buyers would have even heard of some of the cheap flight destinations in Europe let alone had a desire to visit them had the air fares not been so attractive. The popularity of some of these destiantions is down to people being offered "deals" that are attractive enough for them to decide to either stay home or take a gambleand try some where for a cheap weekend away. So Leeds, York, Nottingham etc all have something to offer and we are not just about LONDON!

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 4:17 pm 

Whereas in an ideal world there would be flights from other parts of the country direct to Calabria, I`m afraid Paul67 is spot on about the Calabrians visiting the Uk. The fact is that the vast majority want to come to London, as is the case of any other capital city, with just a few execeptions. Whenever i flew with Ryan air to Lamezia, the Italians were always the majority on the plane. I note that the Irish contributers to this site mostly wish for a Dublin - Lamezia service. ( Not Cork or Shannon etc ) How many direct flights going into Italy from all over the place, go to Milan or Rome, and how many to lamezia ?
I`m afraid the fact is our main hope for a direct flight to Calabria will be from London, we can wish all we want but I dont think regional flights to Calabria will come for a few years yet.
Therefore surely the best chance of getting a service back is to ask for London. That way everyone is singing from the same sheet.

PS I declare that London would be my preferred choice, but make my argument as an honest opinion

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

40 signatures so far.

Can everybody that emailed me post on this thread confirmation they have sent me an email so we can keep this top of the topics, I don’t mind if you all post your support daily to keep this at the top of the forum.

Some of you have forwarded my email to other forums; please continue to do this to get our message our and as many direct emails as possible.

Friends, families, work colleagues, email lists you are happy to email to are a great way to increase the number whether with a direct interest or no connections at all other than wanting to help you. Some people will have more time than others to ring up people and get them specifically to send an email, others will prefer to wait until friends or family come around for a visit to ask them to help out and send an email. If everyone one of the original 900 or so signatures got only 10 people to email, we would have 9000 signatures. This would have a greater effect no doubt than 900.

Lots of people now have mobile email devices and so when you see friends, neighbours etc, they could even send an email then and there as you talk of the merits and beauty of Calabria and help you need for direct flights.

Let's all work together as a team to get the result we need.

All of us can only spend so much time on this, some more than others, I only have the time to collate the emails and thereafter decide who and how many people we write to, but others of you can spend more time researching how to find more people, more emails.

Thank you all.

Regards

Alex

P.s. Remember to post your support on this forum as well to keep the topic at the top and always remember when you see people you are comfortable to ask to email me to support you, this should be on going.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 5:13 pm 

Marco

A lot of Italians actually prefer other places outside of London you only have to look at Ryanair flights from Liverpool to Rome or Milan or Easyjet to Naples to see that Italians do fly north of the Watford Gap. Whenever I have flown with Ryanair to Milan there are Italians flying in to Liverpool for the weekend, indeed the ones that Ive spoken to prefer Liverpool/Manchester to London, and its the same from Rome as well.

There is a need for a direct route to Lamezia but I for one do not see why it has to be from London, Birmingham being central for most of us in the UK Perhaps Newcastle for the Scots so they dont have to travel that far and Im sure it would be feasible for one to be direct from Ireland as well.
It certainly would make a change for us Northerners having somewhere more central and not have to spend a night in Stanstead Airport.

Cheers Diane :D

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

I would be happy with direct flights whether from:

Luton
Stansted
Gatwick
Heathrow
Southampton
Birmingham

..as I live in north west London, this is a view personally to me.

If we had flights from Scotland, Manchester, Cardiff all the better.

The point is once I have 1000 emails or more, we can write to all these airports and airlines and send the emails to them. Realistically Ryan Air I beleive will be the easiest airline to convince and most probably from Stansted or Gatwick to Lamezia, I now say Gatwick as a possibility having read in the newspaper yesterday that Ryan Air may move most of their flights from Stansted to Gatwick because of Gatwick's new owners and negotiations to offer Ryan Air lower fees. Does not help our northern members!

A direct flight from anywhere in the UK is better than none.

Alex

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 5:54 pm 

Hi Alex,
I've just sent you an email confirming my preferred option which is London (any airport) to Lamezia.
I have family there and normally go visit at least 4 times a year...and looking to increase the number if a direct fly is available.

Thanks,
Marina

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 6:04 pm 

Hi Alex

I have sent an email to you, confirming that I and my hubby want a direct flight from London to Lamezia.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 6:41 pm 

Hi Alex

Just send you an e-mail confirming interest in flights from London to Lamezia. My apartment is scheduled for completion in June this year

Paul

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 6:43 pm 

Hi Alex
I have emailed you regarding flights to Lamezia.
Diane - point taken. I wouldn`t wish a night in Stanstead airport on anybody :lol:

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 6:49 pm 

Hi Alex,

I have e-mailed you to say we'd like a direct flight - preferably NW but as has been mentioned on other posts any direct flight from the UK would be a bonus.

Thanks

Liz

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 7:05 pm 

Hi Alex ,
Thanks for your time and effort on this , i will email you with my support
Nicky

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 7:16 pm 

Hi Alex
I have sent you an e-mail asking for flights to be resumed between Stansted and Lamezia. Although I live in Scotland , the chances of getting any flight from there are nigh on impossible so I would be content with London.
Margaret

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 7:17 pm 

Alex I just emailed you saying that I would prefer a flight from Dublin to Lamezia with 2nd choice London (or N England somewhere e.g. Liverpool). Thanks for all your work on this.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 7:54 pm 

Hi Alex, I've just sent you an email to add to your list - thanks for doing this, we will spread the word too.

Cheryl & Mike.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 8:39 pm 

Hi Alex, I emailed you yesterday - first choice would be anywhere in Scotland (or even Newcastle) - but know that's unrealistic, so would settle for London.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 9:26 pm 

Hi Alex
sent you an email yesterday, any direct flight would be fantastic but any midlands one would be even better!!

lou Cancellara C7

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm 

Hi Alex

I have sent you an email yesterday. It would be great to have the direct fights back from Stansted to lamezia as we only live 10 minutes away, but even if it was from Gatwick that would still be ok.

Thanks for all your work

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you all for your efforts so far, we have 82 emails, we haven't filled one plane yet though!

The emails have been well written, emails pushing the argument that each person will use this route many times over within a year.

I guess having direct emails of support will assist when I send an update letter to Sacal-Lamezia Airport as 82 attachments on an email look substantial and I can say these are only some of the emails we have had in support etc.

82-100-150 emails etc I don't think is enough to impress airlines direct, let us see how it goes 2 more weeks down the line and we can then decide what to do with our emails.

Thanks

Alex.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 3:59 pm 

alex.r wrote:
Thank you all for your efforts so far, we have 82 emails, we haven't filled one plane yet though!

The emails have been well written, emails pushing the argument that each person will use this route many times over within a year.

I guess having direct emails of support will assist when I send an update letter to Sacal-Lamezia Airport as 82 attachments on an email look substantial and I can say these are only some of the emails we have had in support etc.

82-100-150 emails etc I don't think is enough to impress airlines direct, let us see how it goes 2 more weeks down the line and we can then decide what to do with our emails.

Thanks

Alex.

Hi Alex

I am a little confused. Please dont take this as a criticism or as sarcarstic in any way. What is the benefit of the current collation of email addresses over the 850+ email addresses and testimonials that are in the petition database?
I would be happy to give you the access/login details for the petition, which was instigated for this very purpose. These can be exported to excell or other formats for presentation purposes.

Regards

Tyke

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Tyke

Everything helps, I have signed that petition as have many others.

All I know is that I had a very pleasant chat with a possible decision maker or at least someone that could influence the situation in a positive way and I am sure that when I email him with 82 or more personal emails all supporting Calabria and the flight from Lamezia that it can only assist further with ensuring that meeting with Ryan Air happens.

Let me continue with my contact at the airport, I believe Dennis also had a good and longer relationship with the same chap and believe he and others have been working hard to get the flight re-instated.

I would be happy if you or someone else offers to go through my emails if you wish to add new contacts to the e petition.

I am married with 4 children young children (hence my personal interest in direct flights) with a fairly new business working very long hours, happy to start the initiative, push the initiative, come up with new ideas, but ultimately I only have so much time I can give to the cause and I believe it needs to be an on-going collective effort.

So people send letters to airlines, Crotone Airport, Lamezia Airport, Reggio Calabria, support the existing e petition, my current effort, start new petitions, and amalgamate petitions.

I prefer the personal approach, maybe 100 personal email passionate about Calabria to the right contact might make more impression than an email petition, maybe not, but it is all worth a try isn't it!

It all helps.

Regards

Alex

PostPosted: February 4th, 2010, 7:16 am 

Come on everybody, give Alex a bit of support here, he just needs a quick e-mail from all of you to say you would like flights re-instated from the UK.

alex@occupa.co.uk

PostPosted: February 4th, 2010, 9:20 pm 

Hi, I have just sent you an email. Hope it helps.

Mandi

PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 1:10 am 
Site Admin

People, we now have over 100 personal emails for direct flights from the UK to Calabria.

Shall we keep going? I think so!

Are any of you joined to clubs, associations, charities, organisations with a good quantity of members that are close to you and would be happy to help you out and send an email of support for direct flights?

Anyone else got a clever idea to get our numbers up?

Let's keep going!

Thank you all so much for your support so far.

Alex.

PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Alex,

I'm glad to see you've got your teeth into this campaign - good for you!

Other things you could do:

* Set up a dedicated Facebook page that's exclusively for the Petition. (Make it funny/wacky/attention-grabbing/controversial ...whatever....
it HAS to capture people's imagination and get talked about. Direct other people (From Trip Advisor forums/expat sites/Italian Mag etc etc) to that page and get them to add their support. (And keep on spreading the word)

Those Members who have their own Facebook/LinkedIn or other social networking accounts should add the Facebook Petition Link to their own page so as many people as possible see it, sign it and spread the word. (Perhaps I should have been a preacher!!)

* Those flying from/to Stansted in the coming weeks/months could nobble other passengers on the flights to/from Lamezia and Italy in general (Draw up a version of the petition that everyone can print out, get signatures on board the plane and then get them returned back to you for collation/consolidation.)

* Dream up a good publicity stunt to try and get some free media coverage - I'm sure Forum members will have some very creative ideas :lol: . Seriously, it could be a good no-cost way to get some coverage! (Is there an Italian embassy in London?). Whatever you do, make sure someone videos it and posts it on Youtube.

* Use and abuse existing contacts - with such a huge number of people now on the Forum, there must be some Member's who have some interesting/useful/famous/influential contacts. Get someone 'newsworthy' to back the Petition and it might increase your chances of getting some media coverage.

Hope these help in some small way and regards to all!

Sam
xx

PostPosted: February 5th, 2010, 3:10 pm 

Hello, Alex

I have just sent you an email.

Hope the flights resume soon,

Best regards,

Conny

PostPosted: February 8th, 2010, 12:25 am 

Just sent our email too. Flights from London are fine for us. We're in Scotland so not much chance of direct flights from anywhere up here in the near future.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2010, 2:31 pm 

Hi Alex, Have just sent you an email. We are from Scotland, so somewhere nearer us would be great too.

Pooch

PostPosted: February 9th, 2010, 12:25 pm 

Hi Alex

Sent an email this morning. As we are in Scotland any northern airport would be great, but I agree that if we can get even one it would be better than it stands at the moment.

Jojo

PostPosted: February 9th, 2010, 1:56 pm 

alex.r wrote:

Thanks
Hello Aiex,plenty of people in ireland looking for connection in London to Lamezia.Keep up the good work.
Alex.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2010, 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Just posted another topic, but we can't let this topic slip down the list, after all we have got to get to Calabria to enjoy it!!!!

We are at 126 direct emails, let's get a few more before I send some letters with emotion for direct flights, let's see if it can strike a chord with a decision maker at an airline or the airport that has bordering on the idea of direct flights.

Sam posted earlier on this thread some great ideas for pushing up the numbers and to up the ante with our petition, as did Tyke also.

I am happy to continue what I am doing and write some letters, I would welcome the support to this initiative from someone with more time and experience with petitions for a potentially more positive outcome; I am but one person, with plenty on my plate!!!!

Keep em' coming!!!

Alex.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2010, 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Still receiving emails daily from new supporters, keep the good work up!

Regards

Alex

PostPosted: February 13th, 2010, 7:46 pm 

Hi Alex,
just sent you an e-mail.

Hi Tyke,
just signed the petition too.

Well done to both.

Regards,

bea

PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 11:19 am 

I am contacting various Italian websites and forums with this message, please copy and paste as you see fit:

==============
Salve,

su http://www.incalabria.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2619&p=22264#p22264 abbiamo una petizione con 2000 firme di stranieri che vogliono che il volo Londra-Lamezia ritorni.

Adesso stiamo cercando di coinvolgere anche gli Italiani e crediamo che sia utile il vostro contributo.

Ecco che cosa si può fare:
- raccogliere e-mail di persone interessate
- raccogliere firme di utenti di forum
- aprire una nuova petizione per raccogliere firme di Italiani

Voli internazionali low-cost sono importantissimi per l'economia locale, lo sviluppo dei giovani e per i migliaia di stranieri che hanno comprato casa estiva in Calabria.

Raccogliendo le firme di persone interessate possiamo fare vedere ai politici locali, gestori di aeroporto e compagnie aree quanto sia grande l'interesse per questi voli sperando che considerino ripristinare il servizio.

Adesso e' il momento giusto per una azione sociale considerando che ci sono le elezioni regionali e quindi maggiore possibilità di avere un interesse politico.

Cordiali saluti,

Dennis Onstenk
InCalabria Ltd.
http://www.incalabria.com
=====================

PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 11:49 am 

Hi Dennis,

You indicate that elections are due shortly. Can I ask when are they to be held and at what level?

PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 7:50 pm 

The regional elections (Regione Calabria, to be precise) will be on the 28th and 29th of March 2010. Many councils will have elections at the same time, like in Tropea where the current favorite seems to be a return of the man who made Tropea famous again.

PostPosted: February 15th, 2010, 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

Dear All

We now have 145 personal emails passionate for direct flights from the UK to Calabria!

Please keep on thinking how you could get more emails through, especially if this is important to you. Who do you know who would be happy to send an email of support?

Does anybody belong to an organisation / association with lots of members where each member would be happy to send an email in support to help you personally for your endeavors with their association / club / charity etc?

- Just an idea to create another surge of emails.

Keep the pressure on.

Many thanks.

Alex.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2010, 11:40 am 

Hi Alex

Any news from your contact the airport regarding direct flights yet?