A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Registering
PostPosted: May 8th, 2015, 4:18 pm 

The awful earthquake in Nepal has made me have a thought, how many of us register with the British Embassy/Consulate when we visit our homes in Italy? If the Embassy does not know we are there how can they search and help us? The South is an earthquake zone, they use Badolato Superiori for emergency exercises because of the unrepaired houses on the hillside.

How many have an earthquake emergency box, it is on my list of things to do, and may be I should do it this year.

Post subject: Re: Registering
PostPosted: May 9th, 2015, 10:29 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Ionian,
You have raised quite an interesting topic.
Since many of "us" Forum users have "holiday homes" rather than maybe like yourself and some others who reside in Calabria as residents or there for long periods probably have not registered with the Embassy.
In thoery whenever we let our holiday homes we are supposed to register our guests with the local Policia.
I wonder how many of us do this, I certainly do not. I do inform the Condominium owner / developer whenever someone is at our apartment and of course our property agents but that is all.
Earthquake Building Insurance which includes Third Party cover I think is essential when letting your property.
I assume an earthquake emergency box has essentials like water, some tinned food, torch etc. Is this the case and where would you put it?

PostPosted: May 11th, 2015, 1:41 pm 

I would put it under the stairs of our house. I really must do it, there was an earthquake, 4.5 off north sicily last week. If we let ours out the agent knows,
You can find lists of things to put in the box, I would put a wind up torch then you do not have to worry about batteries going flat, a first aid kit. I have one in each apartment, but must refresh this year. water, some basic food, matches, a list of telephone numbers?

PostPosted: May 11th, 2015, 5:35 pm 

Why on earth under the stairs? I have not researched the subject at all, but I would instinctively put it near the front door - because that's where i'd be in a second! (Of course with wife, toddler and dog under my arms).

In 20 years full time living in Calabria I have felt one tremor and slept through another one, but of course that's no guarantee for the future!

Dennis.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2015, 2:19 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I would have thought a somewhere away from the house in case it totally collapsed. Under the stairs or near the front door may not be accessible after a quake!
There then should be instructions in the property to inform guests of the "Emergency box", where it is and if there is a key where that is or the combination if it is secured in that manner.
I suspect that many of us won't bother at all including myself.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2015, 2:46 pm 

Our stairs are open, no door to an under stair cupboard, and it is quite close to the front door. It would be next to the door of the down stairs apartment. No key will be required. If they steal the stuff they will release a curse upon their house, simples.