A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Car hire
PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 2:37 pm 

Hi Everyone.

I have just come across a cheap offer with Hertz.

If you use the Discount/CPD/Club code - 708727 and rate code(RQ) LITE

a 2/3 door for a week in june is £47.13. includes limited mileage of 1000 km and you must buy a tank of fuel for Hertz. But look like a good deal to me.

Link below might work.

http://www.hertz.co.uk/rentacar/reserva ... mepage.jsp

Tyke 2

Post subject: Re: Ca hire
PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 3:17 pm 

Hi Tyke 2

I did exactly as you suggested and it changed from one week to one day, so hope you have checked you booking carefully.!!!!!!

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 6:30 pm 

Margomac wrote:
Hi Tyke 2

I did exactly as you suggested and it changed from one week to one day, so hope you have checked you booking carefully.!!!!!!

Hi

Yes, just double checked and its 7 days. You had me worried for a minute.

Tyke

Pick-up: [Change]
Sun, 29 May, 2011 at 10:00
Lamezia Airport
S.Eufemia Airport
Lamezia, IT
Location Type Corporate Location
Mo-Sa 0800-2300, Su 0900-2300
Phone Number 0968 51533
Fax Number: 0968 418694
Hide Details
View Details..
Return: [Change]
Sun, 05 Jun, 2011 at 10:00
Lamezia Airport
S.Eufemia Airport
Lamezia, IT
Phone Number 0968 51533
Hide Details
View Details..
Discount: [Change]
CDP HERTZ EUROPE
Rate Quote: LITE

Arrival Information:
No Arrival Information

Your Extras: [Change]
None Selected
Selected Vehicle [Change]
(B) Fiat Panda or similar More Details
Economy, 2-3 Door, Manual, Aircon, EBMR
(B) Fiat Panda or similar

* 4 Passengers
* 1 Large Suitcase, 2 Small Suitcase
* Manual Transmission
* Air Conditioning

1050 Free Kilometers Included
0.16 GBP Each Extra Kilometer
Discounts:
CDP Name: : HERTZ EUROPE
1 week
Total Approximate Charge includes
Location Service Charge
Vehicle licensing fee and road tax
Collision Damage Waiver
Theft Protection
Tax and other charges
Vehicle Subtotal 47.31 GBP
Total Approximate Charge 47.31 GBP

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 6:31 pm 

Margomac wrote:
Hi Tyke 2

Hi

Yes, just double checked and its 7 days. You had me worried for a minute.

Tyke

Pick-up: [Change]
Sun, 29 May, 2011 at 10:00
Lamezia Airport
S.Eufemia Airport
Lamezia, IT
Phone Number 0968 51533
Hide Details
View Details..
Return: [Change]
Sun, 05 Jun, 2011 at 10:00
Lamezia Airport
S.Eufemia Airport
Lamezia, IT
Phone Number 0968 51533
Hide Details
View Details..
Discount: [Change]
CDP HERTZ EUROPE
Rate Quote: LITE

Arrival Information:
No Arrival Information

Your Extras: [Change]
None Selected
Selected Vehicle [Change]
(B) Fiat Panda or similar More Details
Economy, 2-3 Door, Manual, Aircon, EBMR
(B) Fiat Panda or similar

* 4 Passengers
* 1 Large Suitcase, 2 Small Suitcase
* Manual Transmission
* Air Conditioning

1050 Free Kilometers Included
0.16 GBP Each Extra Kilometer
Discounts:
CDP Name: : HERTZ EUROPE
1 week
Total Approximate Charge includes
Location Service Charge
Vehicle licensing fee and road tax
Collision Damage Waiver
Theft Protection
Tax and other charges
Vehicle Subtotal 47.31 GBP
Total Approximate Charge 47.31 GBP

Post subject: Re: Car hire
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 1:14 am 

Anyone got a good price for a two door beancan in early July. Something bigger than a Panda !
Grumpy

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 8:16 pm 

hi,we booked in july with avis direct on the phone and were cheaper than autoeurope and argus,worth a try cheers brian.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 5:18 pm 

Hello,

I flew out last weekend and do appreciate how busy Easter is but find running the gauntlet of the car hire companies quite wearing at Lamezia airport.

The majority of the time if booking through Auto Europe, it is usually always busy at the one I need whilst the others are all twiddling their thumbs. I have switched around companies over the years to see who is best and on one occasion was there two hours waiting.....not ideal.

I stood there in a long queue this time and thought how simple it would be if every one of the people behind the glass screens worked for just the airport. You could just go to the window of anyone that was free and they advised you there and then which companies were the cheapest and you made your decision. The person behind the glass would just log into the company of the cheapest car insurance or whatever one you chose and book your car.

No delays but still competition because each hire car company would want to provide the most discounted car hire. Ten people could be dealt with at the same time reducing queues and it wouldn't be such a chore. I know nothing is perfect in this world but it is so frustrating looking around all the empty windows at people chatting and the fifth person in line before me has got to the window and not got their passport or driving licence ready and is now delving deep into their case after standing there for forty minutes tutting at the delay......hey ho!

Well, moan over but must say what a delight it is again to catch a direct flight....an absolute treat. :D

Chris

PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 11:23 pm 

Hi Azure,
I understand where you are coming from and wholeheartedly agree.
By the way, who did autoeurope book you with, and did you get exceptional value? . I will be looking for two cars in July so value is priority. Grumpy

PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 8:24 am 

Hi Grumpy,

AutoEurope booked me onto Thrifty. I had asked for a small to medium car but they had run out (Easter weekend I expect), anyway, the choices were a Smartcar or stationwagon. Didn't want a Smartcar as don't feel safe in one of those so chose the Peugeot Estate which was huge. Just as well though, as was robbed recently and had to buy more materials to 'make good' where necessary.

I actually took quite a few photographs of the car before and after as am a bit tired of receiving a debit on my card which apparently relates to scratches or marks on the car. I now make a point of checking where all the marks on the picture you sign for are so there isn't any comebacks. I always drive carefully because I just don't the need the aggravation or have got the time to be sorting out car issues when I'm there.

One quick tip which I may have said before......if you have a puncture and you are near the Lamezia airport car hire place do NOT go in and ask them to sort the tyre. It is always best to just go to a garage like you would at home. They charge unbelievably high costs which get debited to your card and are a lot of grief trying to reclaim.

Rgds

Chris

PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 8:34 am 

Hi,
I am keeping you up to date with something that I found out about and may be of interest to you, particularly with the comment about inspecting the vehicle.

I am sure that many of you will be hiring a car either in Italy, Europe or UK this summer and if you are like me you will go for the cheapest quote only to find out when I collect the car that there is an excess on the car insurance which is around +/-£500.
This means that any damage to the car on return, whether it be scratches, window chips, wheel trims etc etc, if not picked up and noticed upon collecting the car, will be charged to your credit card up to the value of the excess. The hire company will try and sell you an additional insurance to cover this excess which always happens to me and a couple of weeks ago I was quoted £13 per day on a visit to UK!

I did not take this excess cover and was really worried when I returned the car since I picked the car up at night and could not see anything. I also did get caught out a few years ago with some damage that I did not cause. Anyway, for peace of mind I decided to investigate some alternatives when I got back home and have now found an award winning insurance company that will cover this excess for a fraction of that charged by the hire company. It is an annual policy and includes unlimited use during the year. I have taken out the European policy cover for £49 (but it is now on offer for £37.99) for the year, but you can also get worldwide cover.

If you are interested in this then copy and save the following link into your browser to find out more

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/beingoverseas

Happy driving,
Brian

PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 10:02 am 

Hi
www.airport-car-hire.net
we used this link for car hire it was the cheapest we could find for February, the company they chose was Avis, have used http://www.carhire3000.com/ before as well and they were good, both companies include the excess cover if you want to take it out with them saves buying at Lamezia and i think is cheaper, if they try it on just show them the form and point it out to them that its covered they back down fast then. Hope that helps.

Diane :)

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 3:13 pm 

I have to say that every time i go over to Caulonia I always hire a car locally. I find it so easy to do without all this form filling and no excess charges etc. The local hire rates are 35 euros daily and they are pretty lenient with small tips etc. We scraped our mudcaps the last time and lost another and they just let it go. I use public transport to get there and then hire

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 4:33 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi iloveitlay,
That seems expensive €245 for a week. I have used Economy Car Hire many times and their prices include excess insurance. The company they use Sicily Car Hire I think and their prices were about €200 a week. I know that it saves a lot of hassle at Lamezia but its a good saving. In fact when I next hire I will try thge other companies which are even cheaper and will purchase Excess Insurance separately for abou £50. I think that this will further reduce the cost from €200 a week.
davidnam

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 5:52 am 

as i said before,phoned avis direct,4 door car in july £153 for 8 days.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 11:20 am 

Brian12,

Which Avis Office did you ring? When I rang the head office in Irl, I could not get a better deal than what was on the website..thanks Berni

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 12:21 pm 

Don't forget to join the frequent renter program of these companies. They all give benefits and the more you rent the more you get by way of special rates, FF points, upgrades, no form filling etc.

I have Hertz President's circle, which gives a lot of advantages including guaranteed upgrade, guaranteed availability, show licence and drive away and more and Avis President's Club which is much the same but with a two class upgrade. Those take a lot of rentals to get but even with only a couple a year there are a lot of benefits.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 1:59 pm 

hi,bernied,look on their website and find cust service number and ask for quote,sorry i had this on a scrap of paper but lost it since i printed voucher.i found this info when i booked with autoeurope and found i was with avis last week (was over at easter) i had a query so i phoned avis cust service and the bloke their said we were a lot cheaper if we booked direct,which is what i done for july,cheers brian.ps we are in uk dont know if it is different from eire.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 2:05 pm 

hi again,just found number and phoned them they said it varies with times etc but can normally undercut websites for italy 0844 581 0147 cheers brian.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 3:00 pm 

Brian12,

Thank you for that information. I will give that tel no a ring, will also try again in Irl and see how I get on.

cheers!

Berni

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 5:27 pm 

I suppose it all depends on personal preferences. We never hire a car for the full duration of our stay anymore.What we have found is that if we hire a car for the full duration of our stay we always end up with the car parked up and not used for a number of days so thats why we wait and chill out for a day or two when we arrive and then hire a car for a specific number of days after planning what and where we want to go. I suppose we might have an advantage with bikes in the apartment. We use them for supermarket shopping and going to the marina and even cycling to Rochella from Caulonia along the marina promenade, oh its just beautifull. Just back after 10 days at Easter but got 4 days rain

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 8:17 pm 

Brian 12,

Many thanks for the providing the AVIS tel no. I was able to book a car for June at a very good price, it was much cheaper than booking online.

Cheers!

Berni

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 10:17 pm 

iloveitaly wrote:
I have to say that every time i go over to Caulonia I always hire a car locally. I find it so easy to do without all this form filling and no excess charges etc. The local hire rates are 35 euros daily and they are pretty lenient with small tips etc. We scraped our mudcaps the last time and lost another and they just let it go. I use public transport to get there and then hire

Can I ask where in Caulonia you are able to rent locally?

PostPosted: May 8th, 2011, 2:51 pm 

We have used Car Show in Caulonia Marina. It's located on the left just past the roundabout heading towards Catanzaro on the SS106/E90.

I don't what they're charging at the moment.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2011, 4:31 pm 

There are 2 car hire garages in Caulonia that i have used. One is on the left hand side of the now new big roundabout as u are heading out of town towards Monasterace and the other is on the road at the back of the square. the square is now looking very good the tiling is complete and the water feature us up and running with spotlights around the area. Things are coming on nicely i have to say. Daily rental is approx 35 euros but negotiable for long periods. I log on to google translate with the assistant in both garages and get my business done that way because my Italian is still not good enough

PostPosted: May 16th, 2011, 5:27 pm 

Thanks Brian12 I rang the Avis number and got 8 days hire for £131, best online deal was over £178.

:lol:

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 3:57 pm 

Has anyone had any experience of arriving late into Lamezia and still being able to hire a car. My parents are going over next month but the Ryan Air flight doesn't get in till nearly 10 at night and some of the car hire firms have said they aren't open but they've managed to book one (via some generic company but ultimately with budget) that says they'll be there but just want to check they won't be stranded!

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 5:08 pm 

I've did it before, can't remember which company, but they were waiting on me when the plane arrived.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 9:27 pm 

Thanks very much

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 9:58 pm 

use this website to hire a car at Lamezia airport, you will get the cheapest possible rates, cheaper than booking directly with any car hire company!

http://www.rentitcarhire.co.uk/

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 11:15 pm 

On a quick web check for a fourteen day rental for a Fiesta the first three sites I checked are approx €60 cheaper than 'rentitcarhire'.
I will ring Avis tomorrow and see what they offer.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 10:09 am 

Rang Avis 8 days in June and got a brand new Fiat 500 for 131 euros. Brilliant.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 12:35 pm 

I am trying to hire a car for 2 weeks in july and the rates are shocking (around £400 for small car)
Would you suggest actually phoning Avis??

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 1:17 pm 

I just rang Avis in Ireland and their Italian prices are off the wall.
The number given here on the forum [uk freephone number] will not work from Ireland :( .
The best offer I have received so far for 'economy class' is UK£362 from 4th to 17th July [13 days. carrentals.co.uk

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 2:07 pm 

£353.60 for the same period on holidayautos.co.uk - always a good one to check.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 3:52 pm 

Try www.travelsupermarket.com or www.economycarhire.com
Everytime you have to try them all as they always change but worth shopping around.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 8:25 pm 

brian12 wrote:
hi again,just found number and phoned them they said it varies with times etc but can normally undercut websites for italy 0844 581 0147 cheers brian.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 8:27 pm 

bernied wrote:
Brian 12,

Many thanks for the providing the AVIS tel no. I was able to book a car for June at a very good price, it was much cheaper than booking online.

Cheers!

Berni

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 8:30 pm 

sorry grumpy,i dont know how to save quotes and post altogether,bernied is from ireland and it worked for him good luck,brian.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2011, 12:19 am 

Thanks Brian, I got through by putting 0044 in front and leaving in the 0 [instead of removing for normal no's] . Anyway the Lady didn't like me very much and quoted a range of prices , best suited to a lottery winner.
I think they hear the Irish accent and think I am going to default. Avis aren't owned by a German bank perchance ?

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 2:17 pm 

sorry grumpy,your right i just phoned for 16 days in august and they wanted over £900 twice as much as autoeurope,i dont know whats going on as i got a good deal in july,oh well back to the internet,cheers brian.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 6:20 pm 

I did the business last night. A Grande Punto for £362. Holiday Autos was cheaper Dennis , but their idea of 'economy' is a Panda. Not much in the difference but, as a neighbour of mine once said after he altered our boundary fence to his favour , 'every centimetre counts'.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 3:07 pm 

Has anyone used SmileRent as they are now showing as the cheapest on the rental car site?

PostPosted: December 6th, 2014, 7:34 pm 

I could not find any SmileRent car hire in Lamezia ....

Dennis.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 11:13 am 

one do to do a bit more research on before parting with any money.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2014, 8:17 pm 

A couple of years ago instead of retiring rental cars Hertz kept them and hired them out under the Firefly name. They split their desk at Lamezia one side being Hertz and the other Firefly . Firefly cars are generally high mileage and tend to be a bit bruised , however they are cheaper than Hertz.
It seems that Autoleggio have followed Hertz and this is there cheap version.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 11:52 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I have booked with them via rentalcars so will advise if any problems.

Post subject: Car hire
PostPosted: August 16th, 2016, 6:16 am 

Hi.

This is a long shot, but im going to Lanzarote next week to do a fashion photoshoot. Were thinking about using and old car, preferrebly a pick up truck or similar - to do a road trip theme.

Of course none of the rentals offer this, so im actually asking if ANYBODY knows someone, who might have an old car on Lanzarote, which we would be able to rent?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2017, 8:19 pm 

Just to let those who are considering car hire.
I had booked cars on three diffrent occasions for March, May and September, once from Funchal Madeira and twice from Lamezia.
I have just had communication from Atlas Choice the car hire firm cancelling all three bookings and the only way to get a refund for these bookings is not from their payment provider, WorldPay but via my Credit Card provider and all the hassle that will incur.
What has happened to Atlas Choice, WorldPay and these car hire firms I couldn't guess but I will avoid them in future.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2017, 4:04 pm 

Update on my last posting.
Atlas Choice went into Admistration so are no longer trading.
I contacted my Credit Card provider and have this week received my 3 refunds that I had paid out. It was relatively painless to do this. They sent me a form to fill in, they called to check the details and the credit appeared in my account.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2017, 10:20 am 

Just to let you know of my recent experience regarding my car hire in June.
I always pay an annual subscription about £40 for Car Hire Excess Insurance.
I damaged the rear bumper of the car I hired. The car hire company had a list of prices for various ranges for car damages and mine came to £231 which they took directly from my credit card.
It is important to keep your signed Car Hire and Rental Agreement, all the paperwork given to you regarding the accident and damage by the car hire company. They wanted copies of my Insurance Policy, driving licence and copy of my Credit Card payment taken by the car hire company. The small print in my policy did say that a photograph of the damage is required for a claim but they didn't ask me for that.

It has taken two months for my claim to be processed and for them to agree payment. A third party sees to the claims and they required a lot of documentation via email which is relatively simple to navigate from their website.