A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Internet
PostPosted: March 19th, 2012, 8:22 pm 

Would be glad of any advice re. internet.
We won't have a telephone connection but would want to be able to Email family and friends when in Calabria.
I've heard of a dongle but haven't a scoobie what this is.
Maybe best is to buy an I or eye book?
Is there a system that we could pay upfront and not have monthly payments?
Thanks to all in anticipation of answers that are easily understood by a computer numpty.
mags

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Internet
PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 12:39 am 

I bought a Tim dongle in a phone shop in Pizzo preloaded with credit and it worked well. This Easter will be the 1st time I'll be loading it with credit myself online.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 5:28 am 

We went to an Iwind shop with our laptop (you will also need to take your passport) and they did everything for us, we just purchased a dongle and away you go, no monthly expenditure. used it frequently last summer, works perfectly.

I could be wrong here as Ive slept since then, but we also had a sim card with it that we use when in Italy and it is cheaper if you are phoning within Italy. This can just be topped up when necessary.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 7:58 am 

When getting a Dongle you need to know which Service Provider has the best coverage in your area i.e vodaphone, wind etc.
The one I use (vodaphone) preloads a month at a time and costs 25 euros a month, which allows for 5 hours per day.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 9:49 am 

I tried Vodafone in Gioiosa but it was'nt very good.( A dongle is a small device that plugs into the side of your laptop which then lets your laptop connect to the internet). I then purchased a "3" dongle and top it up for 15 euro's per month. I did this at the 3 shop in Gioiosa.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 10:21 am 

This may already be widely known (but I did not,) so this may be an uneccessay post. If you are going to put an Italian SIM card in a UK phone it needs to be unlocked as all italian phones are unlocked, they do not have the capability to unlock phones

Report this post
PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 11:32 am 

I brought my laptop into the internet shop in Caulonia (passport as well) and I bought a Tim dongle for 35euros (a 1 off payment) ( a dongle is the very same as a usb which one uses to safe files etc to)
Anyway then bought 20 euros credit which will last 2-3 weeks depending on your usage. It works great in the apt and on the veranda
Next time i go over i just bring in my dongle again to the shop and top up again for my next 2-3 weeks hols. Caulonia now has an internet cafe, and also wifi in another restaurante which is handy for anyone.
Hotel Kennedy also have wifi and i am sure Parca Di Principe Hotel also has for anyone who is down around our area.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 24th, 2012, 5:53 pm 

Thank you all for help and advice.
It seems that the best thing I could do is take my laptop into local phone/ computer shop and ask for a dongle ( I now know what it is ) and top it up each time I am over.

Not sure what is meant about sim card and locked phones. My phone locks itself automatically when not in use. Maybe all phones do that ? Have never bought a different sim card when in Calabria but believe that would be cheaper. Have noticed you can buy an international sim card over here in U.K.

Many thanks
mags
ps Evie, hope you have a great time over in Calabria at Easter.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 26th, 2012, 6:50 am 

Mags

Re a locked phone, in the UK when you get a phone from Three, Vodaphone or Orange etc. the SIM card is "locked" to the Three, Vodoaphone or Orange etc. so that you have to use on a contract or pay as you go for the provider you bought from. In the UK there are plenty of local shops not associated to these companies that will unlock you phone leaving you to change your SIM card and use another provider in whatever company tou wish to choose.

One word of caution I do recall that in the earlier days of the i phone that these we only on sale through a particular internet provier and unlocking of i phones could make the phone un-usable (this may not be the case now). I would also suggest that before buying a Italian SIM you check with other UK property owners which of the providers give the best coverage in your area, as the level of coverage can be patchy in Calabria

Barnpot

Report this post
PostPosted: March 27th, 2012, 1:50 pm 

Barnpot
Thank you so much for advice re. sim cards.

Thanks too for explaining about unlocking phones, I had no idea that that was what was meant. I do now!!!
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: May 25th, 2012, 9:10 pm 

Agree with all of the above. In Northern Calabria (Diamante) I have had TIM for a year using one of their 5-user sharing dongles (Laptop and kindle can connect at the same time). It's great much of the time, but there are times where it is soooo sloowww that you give up. (I download my UK newspaper every day - £50/yr for 365 days for the paper... even cancelled the paper copy at home now!).

BUT, what I am doing now is I am having SATELLITE INTERNET. The service is 'Tooway' but as a Brit I am buying it through http://www.woden.co.uk because I can have a UK ip-address (OK, what's that? It means that your laptop looks as though it is connected in UK and not connected 'abroad'. Trust me, it can be a useful requirement... You can't buy MP3 music from Amazon downloads when you are out of the country - so this looks as though you are still in UK. Also BBC iPlayer will work as though your are in the UK, but does eat up your quota..... Basically read the detail and decide what you do and need).

Another advantage, but I'll skip the details of 'how' for now..... You can have the equivalent of a UK landline telephone in Italy! Anyone who has one of these "any UK landline free calls" deals can ring your Italian home for nothing....... (I'm a tecchie - but don't be frightened as these services are so so easy.)

Anyway, Francis (from Woden) also lives in Scalea (N.Calabria) and installs Tooway all the way down to Reggio and is currently doing an ex-Pat community there. It is 'buy it forever' - I will be having a UK standing order for mine, so it's no good for those infreqent visitors who only want a couple of weeks here and there. Do consider it though. Contact Francis by eMail from the Woden website......

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2012, 11:21 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
It really depends on what you want the internet for. I wanted to have E-radio, specifically BBC radio channels, and hopefully to use Skype (I'll find out next month if Skype does work as the laptop I took last year was too old for me to download Skype).
Last June I installed a wifi system using Wical. This is the English translation for their website.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... md%3Dimvns

It is not cheap getting it installed independently but I couldn't get enough people in our complex who were interested.
I paid €240 for the CPE (the receiver) and about €120 for the installation. This was the cost for a hard wire directly to a computer. On top of the installation costs you sign a 2 year contract paying €30 a month (€60 paid bimonthly) and a smaller fee to activate the system. If you want to have wifi a broadband router is needed which cost about €90 from the installer. As a wifi system you could halve the costs with your next door neighbour (my system worked within a 20m radius).
Another way is to have wifi economically than going independent is to create a "Hotspot" using Wical, if 15 or more persons would like to share this systemn and you have the advantage to "sell" the facility to otghers in your locality.
My system is thoeretically available 24/7 for the period of my contract and a usefull to advertise it's availability to potential renters. I assume that a more expensive useage contract would allow you to download BBC Iplayer etc but I am not sure of this.
The other alternative if you have a hard wire telephone connection is to use the Italian Tekecom system.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2012, 2:16 pm 

David

Whats the advantage of Wical over an ordinary phone / broadband with Telecom Italia, which is much cheaper?

Report this post
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 6:53 pm 

gsullymorgan,
It doesn't really have any advantage over Italia Telecom broadband. As you said it is cheaper than Wical and I would like to go that way if I had the opportunity..
The problem we have at Delta Club is that there is no telecom hard wire into the resort or telephone wiring built into our apartmnets. A couple of years ago our developer who also owns 11 of the 19 apartmnets / villas had requested permission from the adjoining land owner to have permission to have a landline cable laid across his land. Unfortunately there was no reponse from the owner. The idea was if we could have had a landline connected into the Resort office, we could have a powerfu broadband routerl so that everyone at Delta Club to bre able to get Wifi.
Some of my near neighbours use a dongle for their internet but the reception is variable depending where you are and the cost can add up depending on your useage.
I wanted reliable 24/7 internet connection so went with Wical.
Pob hwyl
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 7:55 pm 

It's all "horses for courses" and depends on what you want/need.

I'll update on "Tooway" once I am installed in July. Purchased via Woden it is £50 for the kit, and I'm doing a self-install, then it's about £25/month for the 6GB service (more than enough for me, but not if you want to watch BBC iPlayer for example).

You are invoiced in the UK and can legally watch anythinng TV related as you are a UK licence payer. And the bit that may or may not appeal is that you "look as though you are in the UK" because you will be given a UK IP Address as you are buying from a UK company. <That may not matter a jot to many people, but for example you cannot buy Amazon UK MP3 music downloads with an Italian IP address.....>

For direction (this is satellite) it has to look roughly 'just west of south' ~ my place has a clear view; hence my choice.

Skype and other voice services (I will be using Sipgate - which gives me a UK landline number whilst in Italy) are all fully capable on Tooway.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 9:11 pm 

This is getting too technical for me.
Will hire/buy a dongle in July and see how that goes.
When one of my young nieces or nephews come over I will get them to look into Tooway Wical etc etc I just need to be able to get and send emails to friends and family. Not renting or having to do business when in Calabria. Just need to keep it simple.
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: May 29th, 2012, 5:42 pm 

mags can you pm me, I have tried pm you and it comes back no recipiant defined all the times. arghhhhh
may be able to reply to you!!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 15th, 2013, 8:52 pm 

We bought a dongle, as I have posted elsewhere, it cost 219 euros. This was with one years internet access.
I can do everything on the internet that I would be able to at home. I can skype and have my kindle connected to it.
It works and as we are over here for most of the year the initial payment, which was a gulp at the time, seems ok
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2013, 1:39 pm 

mags wrote:
We bought a dongle, as I have posted elsewhere, it cost 219 euros. This was with one years internet access.
I can do everything on the internet that I would be able to at home. I can skype and have my kindle connected to it.
It works and as we are over here for most of the year the initial payment, which was a gulp at the time, seems ok
mags

Mags,
Which network is your dongle on?
Annie

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2013, 8:16 pm 

Tim... it's working a treat here on the East Coast.
Radio, Skype, Hotmail whatever.
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: February 17th, 2013, 12:33 pm 

I required to have internet wifi access 24/7 from April - October so in 2011 opted for Wical but also paying for the service when it is not used in the winter months.
The cost of the CPE (aerial) and the installation was €360 and to have wifi, purchasing a modem at €90 was extra. Running costs are €30.16/ month.
The annual cost of the dongle appears to be a cheaper alternative depending on it's specifications.

Is there anyone on the west coast (Capo Vaticano / Santa Maria area) using a dongle? Who is your provider, what are the technical specifications, your costs and what is your reception like?

Mags
for the annual cost of the dongle what is your download speed like and how much can you download for the one payment. Are you limited for each month or for the year?

des11
How is your "Tooway" system working? This is a cheaper alternative to installing Wical as a DIY project, the monthly costs are about the same for your 6gb. I assume that you have to purchase a modem if wifi is required.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: February 17th, 2013, 2:01 pm 

Hi davidnam
It says on the box... Internet senza limit per 1 anno which I take means unlimited internet for 1 year
It also says modem 3G WI-FI Fino A 14.4 Mbps I haven't a clue about the technical bits.
I'm absolutely delighted with it and it's as fast as my connection in the UK.
It cost 219 euros reduced from 362 euros so it says on the box.
Hope this answers your question but if you want to know anything else I could Google translate what it says on the leaflets ( that were in the box!!)
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: February 17th, 2013, 2:04 pm 

PS just read an earlier post from you. I'm using a laptop, it's 5 months old and we get BBC radio FM but not Med wave mags

Report this post
PostPosted: February 17th, 2013, 3:50 pm 

Thanks for the information Mags.
You certainly had a bargain compared to me. It may still be worth considering subject to the signal I will get from where I am and that the "special offer" is still vaild.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 9:49 am 

Hi David,

You must be very careful with choosing the right provider in your bay as coverage is spotty because of the steep mountains behind you and south of you.

I believe the WiMAX based solution you have is one of the more reliable solutions but prepaid 3G will be cheaper. I posted a link earlier about a site that maps coverage, have a look.

For your info, I am currently also using 3G, in one side of the house I can watch streaming BbC iPlayer, on the other side I cannot get coverage at all - I have solved that by plugging the dongle into a portable Dovado router that creates a wifi network in the whole house.

Dennis

Report this post
PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 10:59 pm 

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for advice.
I cannot find the link you have mentioned. Can you please post it again?
David

Report this post
PostPosted: February 19th, 2013, 10:47 am 

HI David,

here is the link, also zoomed in to your area.

http://opensignalmaps.com/index.php?lat ... B%5D=22299

From this it would appear that 3 offers the best signal, maybe you can verify that.

Dennis.

Report this post