A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Artificial grass
PostPosted: January 29th, 2011, 3:51 pm 

Hi,
I have bought a place in Pizzo beach and am thinking of laying artificial grass in the large garden.
Can anyone tell me if this is a good/bad idea?
Does anyone know of a company in Calabria that sells this stuff?

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Artificial grass
PostPosted: January 29th, 2011, 7:31 pm 

Hi dancing brave.
Calabrian Services of Pizzo have put artificial grass in the garden of an apartment behind our one. We took a peak and noticed that they had installed a timed irrigation system also. They done some purchasing for us and their prices and workmanship are excellent. Lorraine and Paul are English and Paul speaks fluent Italian. You can contact them at www.calabrianservices.com

Good luck

Fran

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 3:15 pm 

Thanks for that, Fran,
It shows what a dummy I am that I thought you wouldn't need an irrigation system for artificial grass.

DB

Report this post
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 10:32 pm 

I thought it didn't need irrigation either? Need drainage, and usually sanded to reduce wrinkling in the heat, and reduce liklihood of theft (too heavy!)

I'm looking at import from UK - and local contractor to install - already contacted UK manufacturers who ship loads to Spain.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 1:54 pm 

hi,one of our neighbours across the road in isca dreams installed what he called astroturf 2 years ago,havent seen him since,dont know how successful it was with weeds growing thru etc,he bought it from a diy-gardening shop in gioso jonica behind church off main square it comes in 2 metre rolls if i remember rightly,cheers brian.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 6:50 pm 

Apologies DB and Des!!!
In my haste to answer your question, I presumed you meant the ready roll grass and not the artificial grass... So I am the dumb one!! But,, the ready roll looks great and is hard wearing. They use Egyptian grass so it must tough stuff! I haven't seen the artificial grass but I am sure it is a fraction of the cost and has very little maintenance. Once again, apologies to anyone I confused!!

Cheers Fran

Report this post
PostPosted: February 4th, 2011, 7:33 pm 

that's interesting - how far south is that? We are near Scalea, 2-3 hours drive south from Naples..... Properly fitted with weed suppressant substrate, stone and sand etc it should be fine. We are looking for 4m wide; about 100 sq m in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2011, 11:32 am 

HI,giosa is on the east coast junction of the road that cuts across from the west coast , head towards reggio from airport and turn left at rossarno i think,our map of calabria is in our house in isca so this is from memory.the material is quite thin,reminded me of the stuff the fruit and veg guys put on their stalls at romford market,cheers brian.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2011, 3:34 pm 

Thanks for that... We are about 80 miles north of Lamezia..... so totally the wrong area. When we spend more time there, I hope we can meet more locals (and communicate with them better!) and source something locally. One of the UK firms has Italian links (they have an Italian website, and suppliers near Naples) but I have not yet found an eMail for them - so that I can communicate by translator!
Des

Report this post
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 7:16 pm 

Yes to everyone! It's good and I want to buy it but am struggling to find it in Northern Calabria.
I can buy a decent quality (4m wide, 35mm mixed colour grasses) for £12/sq.m in UK, but have only seen a lesser version (in a catalogue at a garden centre) for about 70euro. Surely the difference isn't that great? I'm even considering shipping from England (or towing a trailer).

Report this post
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 1:54 pm 

Some how this topic ranks heigh in the search engines for astroturf and related products. I keep having to delete spammy posts.

Maybe I should open a Calabria wide dealership for artificial grass, with free home delivery ;-). (Now how's that for SEO?)

Report this post
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 2:56 pm 

has anyone tried the coffee shops in amsterdam for artificial grass???

Report this post
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 7:40 pm 

Thanks for the tidy up!

I almost get elated when I think there is a real response, only to find that it's some automated bot which signs up and posts within minutes.... And then advertises Stateside sources.....

But seriously, you can buy at around £20/sq m from manufacturers in Maryport - NW England, but the ONLY place I found was a garden centre in Belvedere (N.Calabria) selling around 80 euros for the same quality of product. Needless to say, that's not what I will be paying! I will probably freight with Bill Cowie from UK.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 28th, 2012, 10:02 pm 

remember when you buy artificial grass that you must peg it down our neighbor down the road has it and never pegs it down, when its windy which is frequent here it takes off and lands in the road, also you will get weeds growing through it as well, but having said that it does look nice honest lol

Cheers Diane :)

Report this post