A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 3:14 pm 

Hi

These gorgeous kittens are healthy and affectionate, and they desperately need good homes (otherwise they won't survive). Their mother has an affectionate, calm, loving nature and is a wonderful mum - there are 2 males and 3 females.

Time is running out before they're sent away, so if you're interested call me on +39 3332 705719.

Anna
Attachment:
File comment: Kittens - Free to Good Home
Kittens.jpg
Kittens.jpg [ 109.97 KiB | Viewed 3700 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 12:18 am 

Oh I hope they find homes soon!

Not sure how many people on this forum actually live full time in Calabria though......have you put photos up around your area with Italian words?

Report this post
PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 10:16 am 

Hi Mrs Teapot

Cats here are feral, and although local people feed them (they eat pasta, not cat food like in the UK!!!), they are generally not wanted as pets in the home.

The mother is a feral rescue cat who is cared for by my neighbours, and lives outside their house, and I've already watched last year's 2 litters of kittens sent away to be killed - tragically there is nothing else to be done with them.

My heart cannot take this, and I am going to pay a local vet (an exhorbitant amount!!) to spay the mother, as this is the only solution. We are going to keep the 2 male kittens, but the females will only make more kittens in a few months time.

Feral cats and dogs are a huge problem in Southern Italy, and I have found a wonderful organisation called Lega Pro Animale. It's run by a German vet called Dorothea in Naples, and each month volunteer vets run free Spay Days in different areas of Southern Italy. They do TNR (trap-neuter-return), and catch and neuter over 100 cats each day, and return them to live in their original colonies.

Unfortunately they are too far away for me to take the mother cat to - unless I have a volunteer to drive to Naples on 17th June? - but I would urge any animal lovers in the UK to support their work. You can see their website (and amazing pictures of conveyer belt spaying by a team of vets!) here:

http://legaproanimale.org/home

Thank you for your concern, but I fear there is nothing more to be done to save these particular kittens.

All the best
Anna

Last edited by annarose on May 24th, 2011, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 3:13 pm 

Have the males cats done too. Equality!

Report this post
PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 2:20 pm 

Is there an animal rescue in Calabria similar to the rspca here, the reason i am asking is that behind the collinetta apartments in Caulonia there is a dog chained up with two others, whilst the two dogs look healthy the other dog which is an alsation is so thin you can count the ribs on its body, it doesnt bark just looks at you and slowly wags its tail, the other dogs are cared for but this one belongs to another owner i think, ( house is two semi s)it looks to be starving to death does anyone know of an organisation out there? I am home now but i cannot get this dog out of my mind.

Thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 9:41 pm 

Hi Diane,
There is an office of ENPA,the Italian equivalent of RSPCA,in Siderno Marina.
The address is Via Spalato 49,
89048 Siderno Marina.
Telephone no : 339 3255720.
Hope this is of some help to you.
Cathy.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 29th, 2013, 12:11 am 

thank you, will contact them, one of my neighbours at the collinetta spoke to an italian resident about them and was more or less told to mind her own business, its possible that the dog is simply ill and on meds but somehow i dont think it is, so will contact this organisation, thank you for your help x

Report this post