A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2010, 3:57 pm 

Hi All,
Has anyone driven from Rome to Lamezia? If yes what is it like I mean motorways etc & how long did it take,
We booked our flights from LHR-Rome on BA, then blu express frome Rome to Lamezia but they have now cancelled our flight from Rome to Lamezia so any information/advise would be greatlyu appreciated.
Thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2010, 5:06 pm 

Simu wrote:
Hi All,
Has anyone driven from Rome to Lamezia? If yes what is it like I mean motorways etc & how long did it take,
We booked our flights from LHR-Rome on BA, then blu express frome Rome to Lamezia but they have now cancelled our flight from Rome to Lamezia so any information/advise would be greatlyu appreciated.
Thanks

I've driven this road many times and although there is many roadworks on the main A3 particularly south of Naples the journey takes about 7 1/2 hours, including a short stop for lunch on the many service stations. Also if your flight is late at night there is a very nice hotel only 10 minutes from ciampino airport and is excellent for an overnight stopover. Hope this helps.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2010, 7:17 pm 

brandx wrote:
Simu wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks

I've driven this road many times and although there is many roadworks on the main A3 particularly south of Naples the journey takes about 7 1/2 hours, including a short stop for lunch on the many service stations. Also if your flight is late at night there is a very nice hotel only 10 minutes from ciampino airport and is excellent for an overnight stopover. Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for that. What is the name of that hotel please if we decide to stay.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 8:04 pm 

Hotel information
Hotel Domus Caesari
Address Via Romana, 23
Marino (Roma), 00047
Italy
Phone +39069387775 +39069387775

Fax +390693803126
E-mail info@domuscaesari.it

Report this post
PostPosted: March 4th, 2010, 11:21 am 
Easyjet has a very convenient flight from Rome to Lamezia every evening and prices start from 17 euro. Great value!

Report this post

PostPosted: March 4th, 2010, 8:04 pm 

jonstenk wrote:
Easyjet has a very convenient flight from Rome to Lamezia every evening and prices start from 17 euro. Great value!

Thank you guys for the info, I,ve booked blu express the next day leaving at 15.55 so its BA from here to Rome. I've just realised the hotel is near the other airport we land at the other one. I think there must be a bus service to the centre of Rome just want a reasonable priced hotel which is not too far from airport/centre.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 4th, 2010, 9:01 pm 

Now the weather's nicer, how about driving all the way! We've done this a few times (from Manchester). Palace Hotel in Lake Como looks good - I'll report back in a month! It is about half-way from Dunkerque for us (830m) For us, breakpoint over driving vs fly/hire(and park at Liverpool airport) is about a 2 week holiday. That includes the Eorupean breakdown and comprehensive insurance etc

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 10:41 am 

des11 wrote:
Now the weather's nicer, how about driving all the way! We've done this a few times (from Manchester). Palace Hotel in Lake Como looks good - I'll report back in a month! It is about half-way from Dunkerque for us (830m) For us, breakpoint over driving vs fly/hire(and park at Liverpool airport) is about a 2 week holiday. That includes the Eorupean breakdown and comprehensive insurance etc

We'll do that sometime in the near future, we were only going to go for a long weekend & blu express cancelled out flight, so will have to stay the night in rome.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 9:47 pm 

there is a bus link from airport in Rome to the major train station, if your looking for a hotel not far from the train station check out hotel robinson

http://www.hotelrobinsonrome.com/eng/index.htm its convenient 5 min walk from the station, terravision buses run frequently from the airports.

from what i can remember i think its an hour 's drive into Rome,

Cheers Diane :)

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2010, 11:06 pm 
The best bus service from Rome Ciampino airport is probably Terravision very easily found, straight out the main terminal doors the bus stop will be visible 50 meters on your left hand side tickets are currently 4 euros and takes around 35 minutes to Rome central station and runs every 25 minutes.

Report this post

PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 6:03 pm 

have you thought about getting the train from Rome to Lamezia?

Report this post
PostPosted: March 6th, 2010, 10:00 pm 
The Eurostar would probably be the quickest and you then have an option to pick up a car from Lamezia Terme. Some of the trains on this route would take a fair bit longer as they have a lot more stops to do but I suppose it depends how much you like driving. I have always liked the journey either way as it takes in some wonderful scenery.

Report this post

PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 1:56 pm 

MarkInCalabria wrote:
The Eurostar would probably be the quickest and you then have an option to pick up a car from Lamezia Terme. Some of the trains on this route would take a fair bit longer as they have a lot more stops to do but I suppose it depends how much you like driving. I have always liked the journey either way as it takes in some wonderful scenery.

All,
Thank you for all the information, what would we do without this wonderful Forum.
Lal thanks for the PM & the info, I cant send a PM.
Once again thank you all.

Report this post