A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This section is a private section only for registered users and exists for the private exchange of information amongst members.

By being a registered user and accessing this section you accept our terms and conditions and agree that posts are owned by their poster and specifically that the forum's administrators and moderators have no responsibility whatsoever and cannot be asked to remove, edit or otherwise change opinions expressed in this forum.

Per quelli che non capiscono l'Inglese: Questa e' una sezione riservata ai membri del forum. Diventando membro del forum e accedendo a questa sezione accetti le condizioni del forum ed inoltre accetti che le opinioni espresse in questa sezione sono la proprietà e responsabilità dell'autore e che gli amministratori del forum non hanno nessuna responsabilità legale e nessun obbligo a rimuove articoli.

Post subject: CAR HIRE IN SICILY
PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 1:38 pm 

has anyone ever heard of this before, have booked flights from uk to sicily will hire car go on ferry to mainland italy have holiday then return to sicily via ferry and return hire car to original pick up point at airport, well with auto europe whom i have used in the past on mainland italy, said car would not be insured on ferry nor when arrive in italy and that i would need to hire two cars one in sicily and another in italy absurb i thought...

Post subject: Re: CAR HIRE IN SICILY
PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 2:16 pm 

We did the same trip as you last year and hired a car through Auto Europe and no such restrictions were in place. However I do find that different hire companies used through Auto Europe do impose their own 'rules' such as a daily road tax rate through one company but no charge with another.

You have obviously checked this out, but was the check made to the hire company or Auto Europe? Irrespective I would go back to Auto Europe and explain that unless they can provide a hire car which can travel to and from the mainland you will cancel the booking. I am sure they will accommodate you.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 5:54 pm 

I also did this journey last October and will be doing it again in two weeks time with no problems to date. I book my car hire through http://www.arguscarhire.com/ and also have an annual insurance policy with insurance4carhire.com which is £49.00 per year, which I think covers all eventualities.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 6:55 pm 

I think you will find that insurance4carehire covers you for the normally requested damage waiver element. Any claim for the first €500 or whatever of damage is covered by this type of insurance.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2010, 9:11 pm 

Be aware that the deductable excess is payable and invoiced immediately. The refund of the excess may take many months, based on my own experience in a non fault accident. I am still waiting after 5 months!

PostPosted: February 19th, 2010, 7:46 pm 

Hi all,

I have been in touch with a few car companies in Catania and they tell me that we would be unable to take the ferry at all with the rental. One of the car companies was carhire3000. Does anyone have other names of rentals that they have used.

thanks,

Berni

PostPosted: February 19th, 2010, 11:59 pm 

There is a post on this topic where someone used Argus Car Hire and thought they were okay.

Wanting specific clarification of the policy on taking a car out of Sicily to Calabria, I tried speaking to their call centre for advice but got some lame excuse and was asked to call back tomorrow. I have emailed Argus with specific questions and will post as soon as I hear from them.

The other difficulty I am having is that car hire companies based at Fontanarossa airport expect you to pick up the car following your flight arrival. Many do not operate a walk-in service at the airport. This is particularly diffcult as we want to spend a few days in Catania before going to Calabria.

Has anyone else had this problem?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2010, 12:38 pm 

Hi Pogson

Have now booked with Avis who confirmed all ok to take car over from Sicily to Calabria,and if you ring them direct its cheaper than booking online !!

Regards

the cobbler

PostPosted: February 20th, 2010, 8:11 pm 

Thanks Cobbler for that information.I will ring Avis too to get the best price.

Berni

PostPosted: February 21st, 2010, 11:39 pm 

Thanks for the info Cobbler - I did ring Avis and made our booking. Not only did they confirm that taking the car to Calabria would be okay, but they also included an additional driver.

Avis may be more expensive than some but to us it's worth it for the peace of mind, especially after reading about some of the nightmare experiences of other forum members.

Cheers :D :D :D

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 4:52 pm 

Hi,

Can I ask what tel no you are using for Avis?....I've been told to go through the website to get the quote.

thanks

Berni

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2016, 9:56 am 

thecobbler wrote:
has anyone ever heard of this before, have booked flights from uk to sicily will hire Cheap van rentals on ferry to mainland italy have holiday then return to sicily via ferry and return hire car to original pick up point at airport, well with auto europe whom i have used in the past on mainland italy, said car would not be insured on ferry nor when arrive in italy and that i would need to hire two cars one in sicily and another in italy absurb i thought...

Previous year I went to Rome then I rented a car online before 7 days, keep it for 2 days and return it at airport without any inconvenience.
Renting a car online is easy and safe

PostPosted: April 9th, 2016, 2:19 pm 

has people found that the excess on car hire just keep going up and up over the years i.e. the amount the car hire company wants to 'freeze' on your credit card while you have the car? it use to be around 600 now they're looking for 1,400 to 1,800. you can reduce your excess but you pay way more in rental.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2016, 7:25 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Mike1234,
I haven't heard of this before. I hire from Lamezia SUF and with several suppliers over the years including Auto Europe. I have trsvelled to Sicily from V San Giovanni many times but have never questioned the fact that I would be going to Sicily! Maybe I will check with the car hire firm next time I plan to go to Sicily.
Maybe going from Sicily to mainland and back is different. I had a guest last year who flew to Catania, hired there, travelled to mainland and return. They never mentioned that they had any problem.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2016, 7:30 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Sean,
I haven't noticed the excess increasing but then I don't take much notice when signing the forms etc being a little stressed after flying in to Lamezia and a queue waiting behind you!. I will have to check this out in 6 weeks time when I hire a car.
I take out an annual Car hire Insurance with Questor which this year cost me £39. I would advise all car hirers toi take this type of insurance out.