A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

This section is a private section only for registered users and exists for the private exchange of information amongst members.

By being a registered user and accessing this section you accept our terms and conditions and agree that posts are owned by their poster and specifically that the forum's administrators and moderators have no responsibility whatsoever and cannot be asked to remove, edit or otherwise change opinions expressed in this forum.

Per quelli che non capiscono l'Inglese: Questa e' una sezione riservata ai membri del forum. Diventando membro del forum e accedendo a questa sezione accetti le condizioni del forum ed inoltre accetti che le opinioni espresse in questa sezione sono la proprietà e responsabilità dell'autore e che gli amministratori del forum non hanno nessuna responsabilità legale e nessun obbligo a rimuove articoli.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2009, 2:45 pm 

To those interested: San Sostene will not be finished before May 2010, by the words of VFI owner. :roll:
I would say - they will be lucky to finish before the beginning of 2011.
To my opinion, they will fail to complete some of their projects.
Recommendation: refrain from buying.

To those from VFI:
Sincerely yours
Failed Buyer

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 6:58 pm 
CALLING ALL SAN SOSTENE PURCHASERS

Establishing a roundrobin email will allow us to exchange views and opinions to help us to decide on the best way forward.

What we have decide is whether it is in our best interests to opt for the legal route or agree to an extended build. The legal route sounds good in monetary terms but do we know the full story.

Last edited by Locations In The Sun on October 2nd, 2010, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 7:38 pm 
divex wrote:
To those interested: San Sostene will not be finished before May 2010, by the words of VFI owner. :roll:
I would say - they will be lucky to finish before the beginning of 2011.
To my opinion, they will fail to complete some of their projects.
Recommendation: refrain from buying.

To those from VFI:
Sincerely yours
Failed Buyer

VFI have to date,never completed a project,but here is to hoping,my understanding is they are the promoters.

Last edited by investor500 on November 17th, 2009, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2009, 10:36 pm 
Notwithstanding opinions re VFI and irrespective of whether they have ever completed a project, it is important that I touch base with all San Sostene purchasers.

Last edited by Locations In The Sun on October 2nd, 2010, 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 3:04 pm 

I have received the same letter from Giambrone Law, & would be keen in knowing what others think.

My initial thoughts are that whilst the legal route to recover double the deposit etc sounds superficially attractive, that anyone going down that route might end up in paying a whole lot of money to the Italian lawyers, but recover little if anything if the vendors are made bankrupt.

It also seems to me that the more people who try to pull out, that the greater the risk that this will happen, & the development won't be completed at all.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 5:01 pm 

it would be interesting to see what other lawyers instructed by purchasers think is the best course of action.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 6:48 pm 

Rosalind wrote:
Notwithstanding opinions re VFI and irrespective of whether they have ever completed a project, it is important that I touch base with all San Sostene purchasers.

There are important facts to be discussed and views to be exchanged so if I may repeat, please email me to join the loop for emails.

info@locationsinthesun.co.uk

So did the LCS manage to find a resolution for you with G&L?

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 10:39 am 

Dear All,

I also bought San Sostene through Giambrone and received that letter a couple of days ago with the two options.

In the last couple of days I have been trying to get second opinions from other lawyers in Calabria on this latest development with San Sostene. From what they say, the information provided by G&L is not exactly correct. Option 1 does not have any legal foundation because our preliminary contracts should already cover in it the event of a delay by the part of the builder. As far as I remember, there was a 6month period which is pardoned after which the buyer is entitled to a sum of money for every month of delay. In other words why should any of us buyers pay for an addendum at this stage, when any delays are already covered in the preliminary contract, and pay for this new addendum out of our pocket!?!?

Also as the delay is covered in the preliminary contract, a delay by part of the builder does not exactly constitute a serious breach of contractual obligations. Therefore it is not possible to consider cancellation of the contract unless it can be proved that the delay will be such to become a breach by part of the builder. A proposed completion of May 2010 does not constitute this.

Option 2 has to be considered as the very last resort. The time can be very long for such a process and costly and worse of all riddled with uncertainty. However the total estimated quote provided in the letter for legal assistance in the opinion of the lawyer I spoke to appears a little excessive.

Our contracts in most cases I imagine had a 31/12/2009 as a completion date so what this lawyer was recommending was to hold on until this date and see what happens. He was recommending trying to resolve and such issues with the build in the most amicable way possible.

The letter also talks about “force majeure” that the builder might claim. According to the opinion of this lawyer I spoke to, the financial crisis is not by law a “force majeure”. Also natural events may be, and has to be proved by the builder, however, a period of drought does not constitute a force majeure either.

Finally the lawyer said that given the incorrect information provided by this letter by G&L there may be a case to report their letter to the “Ordine degli Avvocati Italiano” (Order of Italian Lawyers).

I also spoke to a second lawyer and here is in brief their opinion. The two options provided are not optimal. Option 1 is unreasonable as the buyer is being asked to pay for a new addendum when the delay is on the part of the builder. Option 2 can only be considered in the event of a serious breach and can a delay be considered as such? Apparently the law in this area is not that clear and raising the possibility of losing the case. Such a case could even take 3-4 years! In other words it does not contradict what the first lawyer had told me.

Now, I think it’s good for us buyers to collectively discuss and have strength in numbers. From the opinions provided above I am of the opinion that neither of the options should be chosen.

I know the Jewel of the Sea development has a dedicated website created by buyers that includes general discussions, picture galleries, site reports….. There is nothing out there at the moment bringing together buyers at San Sostene. Is it something that is worth considering? I must admit that I am surely not the most techy of people on this forum to achieve this! Maybe even a simple email distribution group? Either way my email address is masa1179@hotmail.com for any of you who may want to write to me.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 11:57 am 

masa1179 wrote:
Finally the lawyer said that given the incorrect information provided by this letter by G&L there may be a case to report their letter to the “Ordine degli Avvocati Italiano” (Order of Italian Lawyers).

Were they any more specific about the basis upon which there was a case to report other than they had given incorrect information?

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 12:55 pm 

masa1179 thank you for sharing your opinions - great help!
You should post it to the San Sostene Loop!!!

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 11:21 pm 

:x yes i have recieved the same letter and what do we do from here i know one thing i am not giving anyone any more money i will sit and do nothing for the time. i have no idea what to do if my money is safe or not gimbrone law are at the centre of this and yet i am now questioning vfi infact who can i trust, a very distressed buyer cx

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 11:32 am 

Hi all

We are not with Giambrone so cannot comment but our agents say they are causing alot of trouble.

We are buying 2 Duplex apartments at San Sostene and have always been given 31/12/09 as the completion date with the builders having 6 months grace to complete. We have been told a completion date of May/June 2010 and after seeing how much progress they are making I think it is entirely possible. If people pull out, it will never be completed.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 1:39 pm 

are there any new photos of SS anywhere to show the progress. I had not heard that they had started again.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 1:45 pm 

whilst searching the web for up to date photos I found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3JKVI-Apartment-i ... 92002r5546

PostPosted: November 12th, 2009, 12:00 pm 
Just to confirm this site is progressing. The likely reason you have not seen updated pictures of the development is probably because you have not joined the loop. If you pm me with your email address and unit number I will include you.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 12:44 pm 

Hi all

Sorry I have not posted with awhile, here are some updated photos of San Sostene taken this Friday Nov 13th. We have updated our website with more photos this week end.

Warm and sunny here today.

Regards

Irishlass

Attachments:
CIMG4021_resize.JPG
CIMG4021_resize.JPG [ 23.78 KiB | Viewed 4029 times ]
CIMG4023_resize.JPG
CIMG4023_resize.JPG [ 28.22 KiB | Viewed 4027 times ]
CIMG4032_resize.JPG
CIMG4032_resize.JPG [ 26.83 KiB | Viewed 4030 times ]
PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 6:58 pm 

I don't think the May 10 date will be met from seeing those photos. Has much happened on the site since the last visit?

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 7:40 pm 
Was that your visit then Ionian?

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 7:43 pm 
Completion dates will continue to fail if no one actually turns up for work.Does anyone know what the real reasons are behind such a delay, or what excuses are being given..It certainly does not look like the weather.given the original completion was december 2009.

Last edited by investor500 on November 17th, 2009, 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 8:47 pm 

Hi Rosalind

It was Irishlass, that called up there. There were actually guys on site working, I believe there were between 8 to 10 workers on there using diggers, pouring concrete etc. The last time we called up there was about three weeks ago and there has definitely been some progress since then albeit slow.

Regards

Irishlass

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 10:11 pm 

Glad to read you had sight of the builders and they were working rather than leaning on the shovels!

PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 11:11 pm 
Hi Irishlass. Yes I was aware that you had posted the pictures. In fact I notified our loop of 50 plus San Sostene buyers and gave them the link to your site. So thanks for keeping us up to date.

My comment to Ionian was simply in response to the aserbic comments he makes regarding the progress of builds, without actually visiting them.

We are all very pleased to see our site progressing, and workers have been, and are on site.

The constant nit-picking by some forum users can be irritating.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2009, 12:24 pm 

Rosalind, I have not trudged up the hills to the development, I saw them last summer, my husband did go up and posted photos for info for buyers on the forum. I think he did, I saw them anyway and a bit of wine has been drunk since July.

I am not a "he" or not the last time I checked.

I would not post acerbic comments unless they are justified and in fact I do not really recall any I have done over the years. I do not consider my last post anything but a gentle query as to what progress had been made since the photographers last visit, the photos seem to be taken from different views each time. A comment that it does not seem likely to be completed by May 10 is valid from the state of the build.

I do not have a financial interest in developments being completed or not, I have not bought on speculation that they will go up and I can make money out of other people, not that there is anything wrong with capitalism, I do not want to live in China, and I do not work for or own a company that is selling properties in Calabria. I have all along only supported and tried to point people in the right direction when I think I knew the answer and for my pains was threatened with legal action.

I hope for the man in the street, or woman, who has put down a deposit on the developments, where ever they are, they get the apartment they bought, built to a good standard or they get their money back.
What I am beginning to really object to is people being fed lines that the properties will be finished by a new date and it is blatantly unlikely that it will be done by then.

Rant over, off to get the logs in when it stops raining, it was meant to be fine today and more rain tomorrow, I wonder when the Tornado will hit....

PostPosted: November 17th, 2009, 7:24 pm 

Can I just say that I like your comments Ionian, yours, your other half, lavender's and so many others who post on here, all of you passing on your experiences and knowledge, It is very welcome by us all who have still got to get to where you all are today.

The information that you all pass on is invaluable to us all who havent got to the position you are in now, whether we have completed or not, I like quite a few others on here are grateful to have found this forum and all it's members, its been a learning curve for me and the information you have all passed on has been a great help.

Cheers Diane

PS going of the topic yet again ( im good at that) it sounds like you have a woodburning stove we have a much wemlock they are brilliant would be lost without mine. cheers again Diane :D :D

PostPosted: November 17th, 2009, 11:24 pm 

Yes, we have one wood burning stove, the last house had two and a large underline large, open fire, so it is quite a relief not to have to move the logs for them anymore. The weather is foul here, gusts of wind,heavy rain, the sky box has gone down for some reason. I do not know what the weather is like in Calabria at the moment, will enquire tomorrow.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2009, 11:50 pm 

I bet its sunny and warm, not like here wet and windy again

Cheers Diane

PostPosted: November 18th, 2009, 5:20 pm 

wet and windy here and I have just had my hair done....

Calabria, this a.m. 20 degrees.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2010, 4:35 pm 

Hi All San Sostene buyers

We have just updated our website with photos taken this week. There were about 10 workers busy on site. The last two days have been lovely, but today it has rained all day with lots of fog, up here on top of our hill anyway. Just to remind you we are only about 15 mins away from the site so let us know if you want us to check in between our usual monthly updates. Ionian Property Services

Regards Irishlass

PostPosted: March 27th, 2010, 2:05 pm 

No more news or new pictures ?