A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 9th, 2008, 4:44 pm 

Hi Trigger,
The property market here (especially for foreigners) is still at a very early stage (don't forget that mortgages are, in Italy, still a relatively recent development) and it is difficult to predict where it will go. I would follow the advice from Samincalabria on this site where he says that buyers must do their due diligence and choose a reputable firm and a good location. As with buying anywhere 'location, location, location' is key. I also think that people should be buying because they want to come and stay in Calabria (the food, wine, sea, beaches and people) rather than trying to make a 'quick buck' and that they are looking at a long term investment. There are quite a lot of properties coming through and those looking for a quick turn around could well be disappointed as new buyers may automatically favour new properties...The controls in place over new building are also subject to 'bending' and personally I think it will be difficult to stop new building given that it offers a lifeline to what is still a relatively poor part of Europe. On the rental side, the main holiday market here remains Italians (there are thousands of Calabrians who come down from Rome/ Milan for their 2 weeks in the sun and to see their families) so if you are thinking of renting keep this in mind (never for instance ask the developer to remove the bidet!!!!! -sorry to sink so low!). In summary, do your research, go for a good area and know your builder/intermediary and don't be pressured into anything after a couple of glasses of local wine and a hearty plate of pasta!
Having been here on and off for a couple of years, I sorely hope that the worse excesses of Spain etc (exporting egg & chips and our yob culture) can be avoided!
Lisa

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 12:49 am 

Foyle wrote:
Hi Trigger,
The property market here (especially for foreigners) is still at a very early stage (don't forget that mortgages are, in Italy, still a relatively recent development) and it is difficult to predict where it will go. I would follow the advice from Samincalabria on this site where he says that buyers must do their due diligence and choose a reputable firm and a good location. As with buying anywhere 'location, location, location' is key. I also think that people should be buying because they want to come and stay in Calabria (the food, wine, sea, beaches and people) rather than trying to make a 'quick buck' and that they are looking at a long term investment. There are quite a lot of properties coming through and those looking for a quick turn around could well be disappointed as new buyers may automatically favour new properties...The controls in place over new building are also subject to 'bending' and personally I think it will be difficult to stop new building given that it offers a lifeline to what is still a relatively poor part of Europe. On the rental side, the main holiday market here remains Italians (there are thousands of Calabrians who come down from Rome/ Milan for their 2 weeks in the sun and to see their families) so if you are thinking of renting keep this in mind (never for instance ask the developer to remove the bidet!!!!! -sorry to sink so low!). In summary, do your research, go for a good area and know your builder/intermediary and don't be pressured into anything after a couple of glasses of local wine and a hearty plate of pasta!
Having been here on and off for a couple of years, I sorely hope that the worse excesses of Spain etc (exporting egg & chips and our yob culture) can be avoided!
Lisa

Thanks Lisa, for your input.

Personally speaking, my interest is in the preservation of culture and landscape. There are many though (worldwide) who make a business of buying cheap land, in the hopes of making a profit and many do just that. Yes, I can see this is a beginning stage in Calabria. My close friend, who lived in Milan for some 13 years, was telling us how mortgages are unheard of in some countries. To us, this was unimaginable.

Who would have thought it...all those years back. WWII the troops were "holed up" in many places in and around Calabria, Messina e.g.

As a young girl (about 100 years ago) I spent some time on the Cote d' Azure. It was a time when only the very rich and famous "foreigners" resided there. The coastline was quite unspoiled. No doubt that has all changed. My mother used to say "money speaks all languages". I knew what she meant...... money can do just about anything and ruin just about anything....including the landscape of a beautiful country and affect its people.

Thanks for your input re the pitfalls of purchase. Having recently purchased a new property here, I'm freshly aware, and expectant, when dealing with them.

The only part of Italy I have been so far is San Remo, many moons ago.... my father was telling us to watch out for the men pinching us (not saying where). Do they still...I wonder...then again, chance might be a fine thing!

Btw, considering that yesterday was International Women's Day, perhaps Sam wouldn't mind my stating that "he", I believe, is actually "she"?

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 10:08 am 

From the little time I spent in Calabria, I think that the area would greatly benefit from some controlled outside investment.

One thing I noticed and asked questions about was the lack of HGV traffic. The hotel owner explained that the calabrians very much consume what they produce, so import and export very little in the food line. ( the only potatoes I saw was a frozen chip!)

From what I have seen of the community around Caulonia, the locals are very keen on welcoming the new developments, many are learning English especially !!!

Tyke

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 1:42 pm 

Samincalabria a 'she' ... could be.. I never thought. Sam any clarification?!
So Happy Woman's Day for Saturday from another!
Pinching! Not so sure. Looking? Still very much.. bit unnerving at first coming from London where everyone avoids eye contact!!!!!!
I hope all the worst is avoided too. Tyke2, if you want HGVs try the main road to Reggio during the week (HGVs aren't meant to travel at the weekends) ... get behind one in the roadworks and you will never want to see another. The HGVs stick mainly to that main road with shipping points. I think that ships must be used quite alot here. The costs of road haulage mean that imported stuff is too expensive so there is no market (not to mention that local food is way beyond anything imported).. I have recently ordered a new Fiat (when in Rome blah!), and it will cost me 80 euros more to take delivery here than in Milan due to the road haulage costs. Humph!

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 1:56 pm 
I would agree with Tyke,but controlled outside investment, being the operative word, and developments in harmony with the enviroment,and designs which enhance it, and do not detract from it or the culture, particularly when they are in locations,outside towns, close to beaches and on mountain sides.
I believe the majority of the Calabrese people, certainly the ones i have met are very welcoming and only too glad to see the inward investment from both outside and indeed in.
But care has to be taken .agriculture has long been Calabria"s primary source of income,i believe that development and tourism in the not too distant future will take over from this,, and is already going in that direction as the GDP is up in the region as a whole, much of this is down to construction.
The tourism market in Calabria is awesome and it creates oppurtunities for everyone and i know many Calabrese people now thinking of returning home after long periods away, as before, there was little to do except farm, the recent younger generations moving north. there is at least now more reason to stay, and that can only be good for everyone.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 3:18 pm 

Tyke, some of the little lorries are absolutely stuffed full of Potatoes!!!! You can lots of different foods from the little lorries parked by the road when they are in season. I drove people mad about fennel at the New Year and I always now seem to miss the artichoke season. How many times do you stuff an artichoke..... once is enough. Our chef friend stuffed in between each layer of the leaves, it took ages.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Foyle et al,
I can happily confirm that I am a 'she'!! Sam is short for Samantha :wink:

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 9:49 pm 

SamInCalabria wrote:
Foyle et al,
I can happily confirm that I am a 'she'!! Sam is short for Samantha :wink:

Oh Sam, I really must learn another language besides, English, Yorkshire and Canajan! Hope you had a happy International Women's Day...I hear the Italians have been celebrating it for much longer than we have. Isn't it a genuine holiday there (as in a day off), or do they just keep some restaurants to women only?

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 9:51 pm 

Ionian wrote:
Tyke, some of the little lorries are absolutely stuffed full of Potatoes!!!! You can lots of different foods from the little lorries parked by the road when they are in season. I drove people mad about fennel at the New Year and I always now seem to miss the artichoke season. How many times do you stuff an artichoke..... once is enough. Our chef friend stuffed in between each layer of the leaves, it took ages.

Oh that's wonderful, not the stuffing arthichoke, but the little lorries with the fresh veggies. We'll be there beginning April!