A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 8th, 2008, 8:51 pm 

....just been watching a BBC program Buying Homes Abroad, British guy goes in to help people out. Talk about nightmare stories...
Now, on the topic of the Costa Brava, (which Brit's have been buying for years) they now are having a hard time to sell. So many properties were developed there (mostly the big guns, who sell small apartments in complexes, for a lot of money).

Perhaps it will be a long time for Calabria to catch up in the same way? At the moment, there isn't a lot to rent I notice. It does give you pause though. Cannot imagine development getting quite to the scale of the Costa Brava, as it's quite mountainous in many places ( I think), but it does make you think. Any comments re the future for Calabria...?

PostPosted: March 9th, 2008, 4:45 pm 

Trigger, I tried to reply but posted a new thread instead... bah!!!!! See my comments there!
Lisa

PostPosted: March 9th, 2008, 5:59 pm 
Hi Trigger
I hope Calabria,does not go the way Spain has chosen to go.and i for one cannot see it happening.Spain has destroyed a large part of its coastline with its high rise developments high density build ,and lack of planning control ,and any government can perhaps learn from their clear mistakes which is one of the major factors that has affected the Spanish market and is now currently in the doldrums.
We in Calabria are protected in some way from the high rise building that sprang up like mushrooms in Spain as the majority of building in the whole region is only a maximum of four storys which reduces the impact on the enviroment significantly and leaves us with a lower density of habitation.
There are few regions in europe in my view that contain a mixture of beautiful mountains and such a magnificent coastline as this, in close proximity. we are never more than 50 km from the coast, but strict guidelines need to be taken to protect it.
The design of building needs to be taken into consideration when planning approvals are granted ,and I sometime exspress concern and dismay to myself, when i learn of Spanish architects, and others ,coming across here, planning largescale developments that are not italian in design, they are Spanish. and in my view do not fit in or add to the ambience or harmony of Calabria as a whole.
Calabria is still in the early stages of development,and has quite a way to go. However we can all in some ways affect its destiny, by what we decide to purchase., i believe it is worthwhile for everyone to take the enviroment and design of property into consideration when choosing a place to buy. in order that we never end up like Spain and maintain a healthy consistent gradual growth ,that maintains the wild , magnificent,and majestic beauty that the region holds.

Last edited by MarkInCalabria on March 9th, 2008, 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2008, 6:23 pm 

Hi Stilo,

I agree completely with what you are saying, and thankfully we have got legislation in place to avoid disasters like many places in Spain.

For everybody's benefit:
- you can never build closer than 300 meters from the coast
- you can only build 2 storeys there
- more floor are only possible in "urban" area, ie adjacent to a village
- in many area's the "ministero delle belle arti" (literally 'ministry of beauty') has to approve of the design. This applies mostly on the coast. Having seen what they did approve makes one wonder. Oh well, beauty is very subjective I guess.

As for fish & chips etc in Italy, I find that most people buy in Italy because the love, well, Italy. See Tuscany for an example where many northern Europeans live: no danger of bad cuisine there! There simply is no market. And frankly, that is quite easy to understand!

Ciao,
Dennis.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 12:17 am 

donstenk wrote:
Hi Stilo,

I agree completely with what you are saying, and thankfully we have got legislation in place to avoid disasters like many places in Spain.

For everybody's benefit:
- you can never build closer than 300 meters from the coast
- you can only build 2 storeys there
- more floor are only possible in "urban" area, ie adjacent to a village
- in many area's the "ministero delle belle arti" (literally 'ministry of beauty') has to approve of the design. This applies mostly on the coast. Having seen what they did approve makes one wonder. Oh well, beauty is very subjective I guess.

As for fish & chips etc in Italy, I find that most people buy in Italy because the love, well, Italy. See Tuscany for an example where many northern Europeans live: no danger of bad cuisine there! There simply is no market. And frankly, that is quite easy to understand!

Ciao,
Dennis.

Thank you, Stilo, Dennis (and Lisa....when I find your comments) for that input.

It is good to hear others voicing concern for the natural beauty of the place. A "Ministry of Beauty" you say...that is wonderful. Has a nice ring to it. When we talk about having respect for a country and it's culture, the landscape, even the food it, hopefully, awakens that aspect to others. Btw, if I want fish and chips, I go to England (Yorkshire preferably ha!). Can't imagine F&S shops in any other country. The landscape is on loan to us and so the more we talk about respect for preserving its beauty might, perhaps, give others food for thought. (No pun intended).