A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Should suspicious users be deleted?
yes 64%  64%  [ 23 ]
no 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Poll: suspicious posts
PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 11:56 am 

Hello all,

I have been alerted by several users that they are upset about posts by what they perceive to be people hiding behind anonymity to advertise services by certain firms.

As this is a democratic forum with over 50 moderators I would like to pose the following question:

Should we delete the users and their posts in case a sufficient amount of people are suspicious about the motivation?

Please vote below and add a post indicating the username. Who do you find suspicious?

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 3:09 pm 

Hi,

Allow me to provide a counter-argument (particularly as I remain the sole No vote). First, I will just say I’m not condoning the opinions expressed by those mentioned – in fact; I have no opinion or bias. However, as a matter of principle I am uneasy about a form of censorship controlled by a small group, who by the very nature of these things happen to be the most vocal, active and opinionated. You provide an open forum for discussion – some of the opinions expressed might well counter the opinions and beliefs of others – but do you really countenance that those opinions cannot be held?

Of course there are hidden-agendas involved on occasions, but I really believe (and sincerely hope) that the readership of the forum is a community of smart and knowledgeable people with enough life-experience to spot the obvious.

With regard to this particular subject, there is an overwhelming amount of written word, sufficient, I would argue, to provide a “warning” (if that is indeed the purpose and necessity) to those new to a potential purchase in Calabria. Please allow enough respect to members in that they are capable of making their own judgement.

My best regards to all, Tim

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 3:54 pm 

Hi all

I agree that no one should be banned unless it is' confirmed' somehow that they have lied about who they are or have alternative interests against the forum. I was vocal but only to the extent that what was written was in my opinion ludicrous given the knowledge available. However is not in the interests of 'fair play' to just censure. Only proviso being that membership or posts could be withdrawn if suspisions become reality. As Dennis says they can just re submit under new name. Wow I havent written this much in ages on here. Just kind of got my interest I guess. Take care all.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 6:28 pm 

Hi All
I agree with the above sentiments. However if it can be proven that anyone is being malicious then they should be bannes from the forum.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 8:36 pm 

ditto.

as I always say pour a glass of wine and search the forum to get your information and make your own mind up.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2011, 10:20 pm 

Allen C wrote:
Hi All
I agree with the above sentiments. However if it can be proven that anyone is being malicious then they should be bannes from the forum.

I also agree not to ban people unless it is proven or very rude. We all tend to have had the same problems on the purchasing in Calabria and in most parts tried to assist people with our experiences in this forum. We all have to investigate each move in Calabria as it is in a different country and Law and rules are not as they appear in ours. I only wished I had found this forum before purchasing. But it is staight ahead from here.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 12:03 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I am generally against censorship
People should be savvy enough to make up their own minds whether someone is being malicious, suspicious or using the forum to advertise.
If someone is advertising against the rules of the Forum maybe these could be censored.
davidnam

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 10:24 am 

I am Anna of La Dolce Vita di Pizzo website. I joined the forum originally in 2008 as an individual, but am now working here, so when I post I make it clear who I am and what my interests are.

I set up the website to make information freely available and to help others, partly as a result of a negative experience I had here myself. I believe in transparency, accountability and ethics in business. There is enough work for everyone, and if we work in cooperation (rather than aggressive competition) with each other, then it benefits everyone.

If someone is assuming a false identity, slandering competitors and trying to get clients by dishonest means, then these are not ethical business practices. My website only provides information about those services I would recommend to a friend. Would you want to put yourself in the hands of someone who behaves in those ways? I know I wouldn't. Yes, we can all make up our own minds, but we can easily be taken in, and have a bad experience before finding out for ourselves.

If someone is not prepared to introduce themselves, and be open and honest about their motives, then I vote they should be removed.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 12:10 pm 

Hello all,

and thank you very much for your valued opinions, people have clearly put some thought into this which is really appreciated as it helps the forum being helpful.

Censorship is not my thing either and it is true that the community is very good at regulating itself.

As a result I have created the "Verified by Calabria Homes Program" which consists of a one off donation of 1 Euro to Calabria Homes with credit card or Paypal account to prove identity to remove any doubt. Moderators can flag suspected posts in the Moderation Control Panel and invite the author of suspected posts to join the program, therefore offering a way to make unmoderated posts under their real (company) name.

Of course this applies only to people whose identity is not clear and whom are suspected by a moderator (of which there are 50) of having a hidden agenda.

To avoid having any doubt cast on your online handle, use your own name, introduce yourself in the appropriate section and generally behave as if you would when walking into a room full of people you don't know.

Any suggestions, opinions or improvements about the program are welcome.

Thank you all for your contributions and ongoing effort in moderating this ongoing open exchange of ideas and experiences.

Dennis.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 12:57 pm 

Way to go, Dennis!

Giulia

PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 3:13 pm 

It wouldn't bother me disclosing my identity ,but a full euro in these recessionary times! .
I have had a large tumbler of rosso in a bar in Lamezia Terme [old town] for a Euro. I don't know. What do you Scottish people think?

PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 4:50 pm 

Grumpy, no need to disclose your identity - you have not generated enough complaints!

PostPosted: March 8th, 2011, 11:35 pm 

Hi Grumpy,
You can get a litre of rosso locale for €1 when you buy a 5 litre returnable jar
at the supermarket up the road from us at Ricadi.
davidnam

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 9:26 am 

all I can say is I am glad I do not drink red.....

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 10:58 am 

Why does every topic appear to end in red wine lately?

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 1:27 pm 

not my fault I do not drink the horrible stuff, now a nice chilled dry white.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 2:06 pm 

:lol: RED,WHITE,ROSE,BEER GIN,WHISKY,GUINESS.......IM NOT FUSSY!!!

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 7:26 pm 

there seems to be a slight digression from the main purpose of this topic!!

PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 8:40 pm 

Hi Ionian,
Bianco is the same price as the rosso!!
We have digressed from the topic.
davidnam

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 11:40 am 

I find it suspicious that a gentleman is promoting wine at such low cost!

on topic, take all postings with a measure of salt, some just need more than others.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 3:55 pm 
With salt, I recommend Tequila or Corona.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 5:16 pm 

no, if not chilled dry white, a good champagne,

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 11:18 am 

To all moderators, I have updated the user notes of some forum members.

If you think a post by a member is suspicious or you are not sure and want to check what other members think, go into the moderator control panel, "view details" of the author and then "view user notes"

Edcameron has now been referred to the "Verified by Calabria Homes Program"

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 6:00 pm 

Hi Ionian,
I am not really a suspiciuos person and not promoting the inexpesive local wine. I was merely trying to save a few euros for a near neighbour.
davidnam