A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Changes to this forum
PostPosted: May 1st, 2009, 8:31 am 

Dear users of this forum.

Today I have made some necessary changes to the forum:
A) all discussions pertaining Giambrone have been moved into a private thread named 'Giambrone', see http://incalabria.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=51. This section is private and only intended for registered users who explicitly agree to the terms and conditions of this forum and specifically to that section. This protects your freedom of speech - and keeps the rest of the forum G&L free.

B) a couple of topics on this forum will be regularly pruned by a script that will remove threads that have not been updated in 90 days AND not been read for 7 days.

The intention of these measures is to pre-empt legal bullying such as seen in the past and the try and keep the content of the forum as relevant and up to date as possible.

If you have any suggestions or feedback, your opinion is appreciated - please post it below. If you would like and assist us in moderating please send me a message.

The way we moderate this forum is very simple: the only posts removed are those that are personally offensive, grossly off-topic, or clearly with a hidden agenda.

Everybody continues to be welcome to contribute and exchange useful information about Calabria: buyers, agents, developers in Calabria, every other human being, and also lawyers from a certain lawfirm.

Dennis Onstenk.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2009, 9:02 am 

Great idea. This forum is such a fabulous source of information and it's very comforting to know that we are not alone!

PostPosted: May 1st, 2009, 9:02 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Dennis,
Not sure whether this can be done.
When reading the topics on the Forum the latest replies are added chronologically. With popular topics you have to scroll to the bottom and then read the latest replies or click the number for the current replies.
Is it possible to reverse the order so we immediatley see the latest replies on the top of the page?

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2009, 1:11 pm 

I agree, it would be nice if newest posts came up first so you dont have to scroll to the bottom especially when there are some discussions that have 4+ pages
:D :D

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2009, 4:49 pm 

Don't know if you realised, but if you click on the little arrow or the white square next to the name of the last poster, it takes you direct to the last post on that particular thread. Hope this makes it easier .

Tyke

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2009, 4:54 pm 

Well, it is done - you need to be a registered user to see those threads - not posts.

If you want to see newest posts first just click on 'view new posts' at the top right corner: http://incalabria.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts.

Then click on this image to see it: Image

Dennis.

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2009, 11:38 pm 

Thanks Tyke & Dennis wasn't aware of the shortcut to the last post.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 11:17 am 
It sounds like a good Idea to keep all the difficulties peolple have exsperienced with a particular lawfirm or other in one section as it does seem to overtake everything else at times.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 10:00 am 

A separate category for individual G&L topics would have been a good idea, but merging all G&L topics into one massive topic has made it confusing to follow.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 10:09 am 

Michael Lock wrote:
A separate category for individual G&L topics would have been a good idea, but merging all G&L topics into one massive topic has made it confusing to follow.

Hi Michael,

we're open to suggestions, particularly from people with a direct interest. Would you like create those discussions and moderate them?

Dennis.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2009, 4:36 pm 

Dear Dennis

I think the automatic script that deletes posts in 7 days "if not read" is a massive retrograde step. I've been following the forum and sometimes people ask for help on a particular development or say "any other buyers in XYZ". Sometimes months later somebody will pop up and say "I've only just found this fourum and yes I'm buying in "XYZ"

I understand the pressure to move the Giambrone stuff to one section but to delete old threads is a retrograde step.

There's fantastic information in this forum and it's disappearing - why?

(A great benefit to individuals and firms that offer poor service (or worse) as in the end the history of their actions will disappear - that's not fair as many people will "google" a firm before buying a property/engaging them)

PostPosted: May 24th, 2009, 11:28 am 

I agree with info girl - please dont lets lose this history. It could become very important in the future - we just dont know. Why do it if there is no good reason to.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2009, 5:36 pm 

We need to find a balance between being a repository of relevant information and the easy of finding any information. There are forum users who asked me to clean things up and those who asked me to keep everything.

It is now configured as follows, which I think is a good balance:
- delete threads that have not been posted in for 30 days or read for 30 days.

Attachments:
pruning.jpg
pruning.jpg [ 45.5 KiB | Viewed 12718 times ]
PostPosted: May 24th, 2009, 7:51 pm 

Can I suggest that, rather than deleting the threads, you move them into a topic called 'archived'. That cleans up the active fora but leaves the resource which is searchable.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2009, 12:58 pm 

The application does not support archiving at the moment, when I get a moment (after the summer at the earliest as it is really busy now!) I'll see if there is some plugin or so to add that facility. Any PHPbb experts on this forum by any chance?

PostPosted: May 25th, 2009, 8:52 pm 

Don't think it's a good idea to delete any posts,when I found this forum
first, I went back to the end of 07'and found topic that I was looking
for. Unfortunetly alot of problems are only surfacing now for people
buying in Calabria and although thats not the main reason for this forum
it really helps to have people in similar situations offering reasurance and
advice ,so rather than repeating answers its better to let them trawl
througn posts themselves. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2009, 4:54 pm 

OK, we have heard your feedback and switched off the automatic pruning.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 12:50 am 

Can I borrow that "automatic pruner" thingy Dennis?....my garden's a right mess! Since I got back from Calabria I came down with a right nasty cold :lol: :lol: :( :(

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 11:27 pm 

So glad that you've decided to switch off automatic deletion of posts.
This site is a brilliant source of information and all users sometimes find the need to look back on topics.
keep up the good work...Brilliant forum

PostPosted: May 1st, 2010, 10:05 am 

You can delete anything I post after midnight, Image

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 6:43 pm 

Hi Dennis,

A few others are having a problem logging in since changes to the site. You can see the login button but the link is broken when you hover over it so you cannot log in that way.

I have managed to log in by going to a post and pressing the "post reply" box which brings up the login screen.

The board index link has moved from the top of the screen too.

Like the pictures on the banner, bit distracting though, rather like gsullymorgan's flythingy :lol:

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 6:49 pm 

Hi

I've logged in but cannot logout!

Lorica

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 10:41 pm 

I have the oposite problem. The new position of the login makes it impossible to get the the login screen. The only way I found was to view active topics a post a reply and then you get the logiin.

Barnpot

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 10:44 pm 

Update. I can't logout either

Barnpot

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 8:38 am 

Thank you to the ever watchfull eyes on this forum for pointing out the bugs.

The log-in/out link works now.

The slideshow in the header shows off some of the developments we sell, clicking on it will take you to the product page.

Dennis.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 9:05 am 

Thanks Dennis all seems to be working well again.

Lorica

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 9:16 pm 

I find the flashing images at the top of the page very distracting. On a recent website training course we were informed that changing/flashing images are a 'turn off' to customers - apparently they will use the site less often or stop using it altogether. Although I enjoy the forum I think I tend to agree that static images are better.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 9:27 pm 

Yes, but no!

Our guidance was for animation on a Home page - or sub-menu pages depending on the size of a site - so that you can obviously attract attention; then I agree with you for the working pages.

If you look at the features from all the website software vendors, animation, flashing (at the right rate! warning re-epilepsy) and scrolling marquees etc, the international standard practice IS to use these features. Again, in agreement with your comments 'over-use' is not good.

I guess it depends on the opinions of your trainers, or the definition within any particular syllabus (depending even on exam boards). Sorry, that's a bit of an 'education answer' because syllabus definitions say 'must demonstrate......'; and it lists such features!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 8:54 am 

It is a calculated effort to indicate to new visitors to the forum that we have great looking property for sale in one of the most beautiful spots in Europe. The images are of actual property for sale, on mouse-over there is a short description, and on click you are taken to the product page.

You will also note that on the homepage and the product pages you are presented with a static image - the slideshow is limited to the forum pages to get the message across.

Statistics show more views of the product pages so we achieve what we set out to achieve. I have slowed down the slideshow so I hope everybody else enjoys a more modern forum with beautiful pictures across the top.

Dennis.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2010, 11:55 pm 

Hi Dennis,
What has happened to the Forum?
The posts used to come up with the lastest messages posted on the threads. It now comes up at the beginning of the thread, that is the very first message posted on that thread.
I think that this has happened before, could it please be fixed back as it was.
davidnam