A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

By popular request and, in order to remind everyone that there IS much to be positive about when buying property in Italy,we have launched the GOOD NEWS thread!

Please feel free to add your own POSITIVE experiences for the benefit of other Forum members - particularly those who may have only recently joined us!

Many thanks

Sam

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 1:39 pm 

Dear All
Good news Calabria still is beautiful unspoilt awesome and therapeutic place enjoy and think about it when you feel sad it will make you glad
pen

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 3:32 pm 

The good news is that the smaller and better property companies such as InCalabria Ltd. are teaming up together to improve the region's perception.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 4:00 pm 

donstenk wrote:
The good news is that the smaller and better property companies such as InCalabria Ltd. are teaming up together to improve the region's perception.

Last edited by howard on April 8th, 2009, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 8:45 pm 

donstenk wrote:

Even though my own experience of the buying process has left a very bad taste in my mouth, I will at some point also be working with others to promote the region generally through the Italian Marinas websites (albeit on a much smaller scale than originally planned).

Isca Marina is still "Googling" no 1 in the UK with the search term Isca Marina and picking up visitors from across the world. We hope that all the various sites promoting the region will eventually grab Google's prestigious no 1 slot and help invigorate the local economies.

I don't think anyone can dispute that Calabria as a region is one of the most beautiful in Europe which offers many things to many people.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 10:48 am 

More good news. There is a big international folk music festival coming to Calabria in July called the tree of singing - "Albero Di Canto".. Live performances through the streets and a wonderful atmosphere all round.

Chris & Jan

Attachments:
playerstnsm.JPG
playerstnsm.JPG [ 18.75 KiB | Viewed 19254 times ]
PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 12:33 pm 

a

Last edited by howard on April 8th, 2009, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 1:18 pm 

Good news would be a report that those looking for bad news to comment on had decided to call it a day and move on :idea:

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 2:37 pm 

:D howard give it a rest for a while

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 2:49 pm 

Good news today is that its sunny 25 degrees, and the sea is flat calm as far as we can see.
There are some great festivals in the next coming weeks, so come down, leave behind all the doom and gloom of the world and come and relax, recharge and live life how it should be!!

Regards

David

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 2:59 pm 

David,

You have convinced me - we will be down on Saturday and just hope the sun keeps shining :D

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 4:39 pm 

Howard,
whereas I am sure that everybody has great sympathy with your situation, and unfortunately I am sure you will not be the last, it does appear that you now spend your life reading through all the posts just so that you can put your negative input in. It is starting to look as though you actually begrudge the owners that have completed to their satisfaction.
Maybe its time to move on a bit, of course you are bitter, I certainly would be as well, but instead of bleating and sniping, surely it would be more productive if you were to offer help and advice to anyone maybe thinking of buying in Calabria, in order to help them not fall into the same trap.
Calabria is a great place, you were cheated, it doesn`t mean everybody there is out to cheat us, but of course some are, just as in any part of the world.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 6:58 pm 

where is the folk festival based? Mind you I can only stand folk music for so long at least I will have my ipod to hand.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 7:00 pm 

watching 'who wants to be a millionaire' in SF the questions was which is the area in the boot of the foot of Italy or something like that, and she got it right!!
so people do know where Calabria is.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 12:11 am 

:D :D :D i must be the luckiest man on this forum!
i havent lost a deposit(howard and gene)
i havent lost a camera(trigger)
i havent been let down by lawyers or developers
i have had loads of helpful advice
i have had all my questions answered
all i need to know now is"who put the bop in the bop-shu-wop-wop
who put the ram in the ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong?"

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 8:22 am 

Tuffareo wrote:
Good news would be a report that those looking for bad news to comment on had decided to call it a day and move on :idea:

Last edited by howard on April 8th, 2009, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 9:03 am 

how do you think the victims of the earthquake would equate your loss to theirs (loved ones homes etc ) ????????? lets get some perspective here howard . the good news , if we can find good news in this disaster is that victims are still being found alive . oh, and by the way howard , im potentially one of those people with life savings on the line too .

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 9:03 am 

Howard my friend lost over 80 grand in Spain on a builder who filed for bankruptcy and a corrupt solicitor, she has no chance of getting that back whatsoever, he left 9 people in the same boat as herself, but she has not complained about it, she picked herself up came back here after living in spain for 4 years whilst waiting for her property to be finished, then had to watch it being auctioned off in it unfinished state to someone else, as she couldn't afford anymore, but not once have i heard her complain, particularly when i talk about our apartment being built in Italy,
she has picked up the pieces of her life at home and is saving up to get back to spain to retire it hasnt put her off nor has it made her bitter.
she went from being mortgage free back to a mortgage like a lot of us here in order to live her dream, she doesnt begrudge anyone else dreams of a nicer lifestyle. I wish her well the same as she wishes me and i hope that oneday she gets back to living her dream.

Most of us have had our dreams shattered at some point in our life but if you keep looking back at the door that closed you miss the new door that is opening to the future. make sure that doesnt happen to you.

Like will says in comparison to those poor people who have literally lost everything loved ones, their home and family there is no comparision, my sympathy goes to those who are in that terrible situation.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 11:59 am 

Well here is a photo that will cheer to all, this a farm that can be rented near to Catanzaro, sorry about the picture of the salumi, but they are really excellent!!
Attachment:
File comment: Calabria style coat stand!!
Copia di Immagine 038.jpg
Copia di Immagine 038.jpg [ 83.38 KiB | Viewed 19257 times ]

Attachments:
Copia di Immagine 004.jpg
Copia di Immagine 004.jpg [ 73.31 KiB | Viewed 19259 times ]
Copia di Immagine 006.jpg
Copia di Immagine 006.jpg [ 213.89 KiB | Viewed 19257 times ]
PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 12:54 pm 

Thanks Casa just what the doc ordered :D

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Tony, you've made my day - am still smiling over this one!!!! :lol: :lol:

Sam

tonymccready wrote:

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 1:03 pm 

tonymccready wrote:

More to the point -Who put the Limoncello into Tony???? :lol:

Tyke

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 3:17 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Tonymccready,
Wasn't he "That man I'd like to shake his hand, he made my baby fall in love with me, Yeah !!".
In our case we fell in love with Capo Vaticano/Tropea, and the persons I want to shake hands with are Dennis & Jessika of Incalabria.
Any other late 50's Rockers out there?

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 10:40 pm 

Could have swore I started the ""Good news thread" :?

FYI: I didn't lose a camera, I found it! and it lived to survive yet another trip to Calabria since the time it attempted to stay behind.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 8:41 am 

I missed this thread while rwt, but the pictures of the farm are good news to me as I do not have to mow the grass!
I understand the weather in Calabria is nice at the moment. Have a feeling we may be in for very hot weather (40+) during the summer and as a result some big storms.
The good news today here is that it has stopped raining, we had alot yesterday as on hill no problem of flooding thank goodness.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 9:53 pm 

Where has all the 'good news' gone? It's been almost 2 months now.

Ah, but the good news is.......on second thoughts, I think I'll keep it myself - this time.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 8:22 am 

Its here ( the good news )
The Italian Land Registry reports that property prices held firm for the majority of 2009 despite suffering a fall in sales. Despite a total drop in sales of 11.3 per cent last year, the agency revealed that there was a significant turnaround in the second quarter. The first quarter saw a year-on-year fall of over 18 per cent yet by the final quarter sales were down just 4 per cent. In the second half of 2009, prices fell just 0.7 per cent compared to the same period of 2008, indicating the strength and resilience of the country’s real estate market. Southern Italy was the top performer with an overall contraction of just 0.1 percent and growth of 0.4 per cent in smaller municipalities such as Calabria.
:o :o :o

(obviously this only affects properties that have been completed. Those of us that "deliberately" delayed the completion of our properties to take advantage of the growth have been proved correct. ) :wink:

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 11:28 am 
True to his word, the new mayor of Tropea has authorized restoration works to commence on the beautiful church of Santa Maria with a view to opening it once again to the public.
The new mayor, who previously held office in Torino won the election on many issues including the importance and need to do more to promote tourism in the area.

Attachments:
photo.jpg
photo.jpg [ 85.08 KiB | Viewed 19074 times ]

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 2:06 pm 

That's great news - any idea how long the work will take/when it will be open to the public again?

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 3:12 pm 
Bit of a Vague Guess as allot of the work is of a structural nature to prevent erosion on the rock itself but i understand the plan is to have it open again within 12 months, i will keep you posted.
The Church and the Rock used to be connected to the mainland by a kind of rope bridge, although i do not think i would fancy walking across like that after experiencing the one on the Antrim coast in Ireland.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 3:46 pm 

Direct flights into Lamezia would be a good start. I wish him Luck

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 4:29 pm 

Apparently the London-Lamezia flight are back in the airport terminals 4 times a week, but not bookable yet. According to the staff there it points to flights resuming in a few weeks.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 5:29 pm 

Thats sounds like good news, do you mean DIRECT flights from London to Lamezia, as that would be fantastic

PostPosted: April 9th, 2010, 6:30 pm 
Yes that is what they have told us but it is in no way official yet, negotiations can be sensitive and go wrong right up to the last minute.but i think there is good reason to be optimistic as they were correct the last time with the information prior to flights being resumed in similar circumstances.
Lets keep our fingers crossed for the time being, for those of us that rely on this route.Hopefully we will not have too long to wait before it is announced and we can then officially crack open the champagne.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2010, 9:34 am 

Dear Mark
Thank you so much for that news !
I really hope they will restore the stansted flight
thanks to all who have made an effort to find out about and try to get this flight going again
I really appreciate your efforts
Pamela :)

PostPosted: November 12th, 2010, 2:36 pm 

The optimism of the Irish !!. On a day when the World is discussing the possibility of Ireland defaulting on its debt I look up the Alexa ranking for this website and find the ever optimistic Irish are glued to it. :

Calabriahomes.com is ranked #265,552 in the world according to the three-month Alexa traffic rankings, and approximately 13% of visits to the site are referred by search engines. The time spent in a typical visit to the site is roughly six minutes, with 42 seconds spent on each pageview. It has attained a traffic rank of 1,087 among users in Ireland, where we estimate that 89% of its audience is located. Visitors to Calabriahomes.com view an average of 6.8 unique pages per day.

So given half a chance - the Irish are coming. Leprechauns, guinness, late night parties, great music, riverdance, people standing on their heads in the middle of the night, cars parked on top of telephone poles. I think I will open a pub and 'al Diavolo la Recessione'

PostPosted: November 12th, 2010, 4:36 pm 

According to my logfile analysis however the Irish were only 1% of the traffic....

Attachments:
ctry_usage_201010.png
ctry_usage_201010.png [ 5.73 KiB | Viewed 18863 times ]
PostPosted: November 12th, 2010, 5:56 pm 

Alexa's figures don't make much sense considering the small size of the Irish pop. but I attach the link [just to start a row] . Lies, damn lies and statistics.
Looking at your stats what nationality are Orange? Your graph is a little blurred .
Regards Grumpy

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/calabriahomes.com#