A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 8:00 am 

Does anyone know if an owner who lives in the uk and who does not pay his Italian condo fees, can be chased by other uk owners through uk courts?

Report this post
PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 10:43 am 

Hmmm a good question. Initially would say no as the contract is in Italy but the uk owner is domiciledbin uk and as we are in EU may be can now sue in place of domicile. You need to ask a European business lawyer and take documents with you. The appt could be expensive unless someone knows a lawyer? Unfortunately I have lost contact. Does Italy have the equivalent of our small claims?

Report this post
PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 11:55 am 

actually it is quite easy to chase un paid condo fees. If you have an administrator then it is their job to do that and unlike other legal proceedings, this one is much simpler and quicker. Under the italian civil code they have a duty to pay their fees. They are (If I remmeber rightly) allowed 90 days then you can start adding interest to unpaid amounts then at 3 month( I believe, but you will need to check this out) you can go to court and put a "Lien" on the property preventing them from selling it until the amount due is paid in full. You wil get what is owed it will just take a while but not years and years and not at great expense either. Although I cannot tell you how much but our lawyer told us it was not expensive or difficult to do this.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 12:20 pm 

Thank you for quick and helpful replies. We do have an Administrator and he is confident we will get our money but cannot give us an estimate of costs at the moment. I wondered if there was a way to avoid using the Italian Lawyers and just use our small claims court. However, in the end all that matters is that no-payers do not think they can get away with not paying. :x

Cheers.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 14th, 2013, 1:46 pm 

the law firm of Ferrara work in the area of Vibo Valentia, Tropea, Pizzo, Nicotera, Briatico, Zambrone and provides advice in matters of civil law, damages, condominium issues of international law, post sale. The study provides a wealth of knowledge in law, for years offers his advice and expertise to foreigners who have purchased property in Calabria or have legal issues to be resolved in Calabria. The lawyer Ferrara Teresa speaks fluent English and offers its expertise to any legal matter present in its area of ​​jurisdiction. email address ferrarateresa@tiscali.it

Report this post