A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 1:36 pm 

Just spotted the following news item on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17786528

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 4:48 pm 

Great news indeed...

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 7:15 pm 

yes three families suceeded in an pout of court settlement against giambrone!!

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 7:51 pm 

Heard that BBC1 Northern Ireland showed a report with picture of GG and a short interview with Simon Chambers. I think there are a lot more families than what was reported on the BBC who will be bringing action with the help of Simon chambers...Good to see Justice finally starting to deliver!

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 9:20 pm 

Well done to those who have pursued this.
It must give hope to others who were / are in the same situation

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 10:31 pm 

Excellent news for those on El Caribe, hope the rest get their money back soon.

The BBC Newsline piece can be seen on this link at 12:50

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 0_04_2012/

Fast forward to 12:45 for the Giambrone feature.

Last edited by admin on April 21st, 2012, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
added timepoint of Calabria feature.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 10:51 pm 

Good news indeed. It will be interesting to see if money actually changes hands. My many experiences of court success and agreed settlements would suggest that many more years may pass without satisfaction. I hope I am wrong but my experience in the South is that you may get the law but rarely justice. :x

Report this post
PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 10:01 am 

Well it's been labelled by the BBC as a "fraud" and so if Giambrone or the insurers dont pay, people may be able to make a claim on the SRA Compensation Fund under section 3.3(a)

For any grant to be made out of the Fund, an applicant must satisfy the SRA that:

(a) he has suffered or is likely to suffer loss in consequence of the dishonesty of a defaulting practitioner or the employee or manager or owner of a defaulting practitioner; or

http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/handbo ... ntent.page

For further guidance on claiming compensation

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problem ... ation.page

The SRA will go to the ends of the earth to get their own money back of that you can be assured!!

Those who paid for services "up to completion" and who have now had to pay other companies (including I assume Giambrone's Italian firm) to finish work may be able to claim under section (b)

"he has suffered or is likely to suffer loss and hardship in consequence of a failure to account for money which has come into the hands of a defaulting practitioner or the employee or manager or owner of a defaulting practitioner, which may include the failure by a defaulting practitioner to complete work for which he was paid"

People should check the letters they received when they instructed Giambrone to see whether the quote included for services up to completion.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 12:51 pm 

I must admit to a certain satisfaction seeing his mugshot on TV and I am happy that our forum has helped his victims find each other.

Jessika and I were some of the very first victims back in 2006-2007 when he made us loose valuable contracts after we refused an indecent (business) proposal.

It may take some time, but sometimes what goes around comes around.

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 1:05 pm 

DennisInCalabria wrote:
I am happy that our forum has helped his victims find each other.

The sharing of information has been crucial and this forum has proved to be an enormous asset to those that lost their money and were able to find each other to launch class actions at a fraction of the cost.

Hopefully in the future it will prove to be an enormous asset for those who managed to realise their dream and are happily settled in the holiday homes in Calabria.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 7:56 pm 

3 victims awarded money out of many hundreds that paid 50% deposits to this outfit,money that should not have not been passed over to anyone in the first instance had the most basic due dilligence been undertaken.
The money awarded is only a tiny fraction this law firm raked in for leading so many innocent parties into a black hole of financial loss and misery.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2012, 10:14 pm 

True Mathew but the 3 victims have now set a precidence that gives others hope that they too may be able to follow and get their money back, I hope so.
I am one of the lucky ones our complex is completed (Collinetta) I can only imagine what is has been like for those who have lost not just a deposit but for some their life savings plus their dream. I hope that they get justice and their money back.

Diane

Report this post
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 8:32 am 

Hi, just as a matter of interest, does anybody know what these settlements were made up of? For example does it include extra fees, or just the initial deposits?

The reason I ask is that for some of us that lost about £33k, wee have been quoted a further £10+ k to act, with obviously no guarantees

Report this post
PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 8:01 am 

Howard, as far as I can tell, all settlements I have heard about include the full fees of your legal advisors, lost interest on the monies etc.

Unfortunately the article on BBC TV has gone now - it is only available for a certain period of time. Has anybody got a copy?

Report this post
PostPosted: April 26th, 2012, 11:08 pm 

The website article is still available, but the news clip has expired.

I have copied and pasted the article;

20 April 2012 Last updated at 13:03
Damages for Italian holiday home fraud victims
Three NI families who bought holiday homes which were never built, have been awarded damages against an Italian lawyer.

Gabriele Giambrone did the conveyancing work on the sale of apartments in Calabria in southern Italy.

The families paid deposits five years ago, but then discovered that the land where the apartments were to be built was earmarked for agriculture.

Mr Giambrone settled the case at the High Court in Belfast on Friday.

Sharon and George Moore won £77,105, Robert Crawford won £64,137, and Joseph and Patricia Plant won £75,600.

Another 12 people from Northern Ireland who bought property in the same development in Calabria are also suing Mr Giambrone.

The lawyer is also facing legal action from another 50 families from Northern Ireland who were sold holiday homes elsewhere in Italy.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 2:10 pm 

Below is the BBC article

Attachments:
BBC.JPG
BBC.JPG [ 65.9 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 9:09 pm 

An article published on the BBC News website tonight in relation to the last successful outcome for buyers against Giambrone on El Caribe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21534122

Report this post
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2013, 2:53 pm 

Two further articles on the story.

http://www.u.tv/News/Case-won-over-home ... c14990647c

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 87580.html

Alan Erwin of the Belfast Telegraph has added a footnote to his article for property owners who want to tell their story to contact the Belfast Telegraph news desk on 028 9026 4440.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2013, 3:52 pm 

Wish them luck enforcing the judgment

Report this post
PostPosted: February 24th, 2013, 9:43 am 

For anyone in Belfast with an action or potential action against Giambrone, they may wish to attend this hearing tomorrow.

COMMERCIAL LIST at ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE on 25 Feb 2013 in COMMERCIAL COURT at 09:45.

Case Ref: 11/096121

JAMES CRAVEN, CAROLINE CRAVEN & OTHERS V BELLANCA ALESSANDRA PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS AND EUROPEAN LAWYERS, D'ARPA ANNA CINZIA PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS & EUROPEAN LAWYERS, GIAMBRONE GABRIELE PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS & EUROPEAN LAWYERS

Reason for listing: For Judgment

https://onlineservices.courtsni.gov.uk/ ... Lists.aspx

Report this post
PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 5:30 pm 

25 February 2013

Italian holiday homes investors tell of shattered dreams

Investors who paid 50% deposits on Italian property that was never built have described how their holiday home dreams where shattered.

Lorraine McGuigan and her brother Jim Craven were among 13 buyers who became locked in a five-year legal battle.

As they secured judgment in their £1m action against the law firm involved in the sales process, Mrs McGuigan said: "It's just been nothing but heartache."

She paid a deposit of almost £50,000 in the proposed El Caribe apartments.

Along with Mr Craven, a former building site foreman who also invested a similar amount, she planned to open a bistro in the area, in Calabria.

Conflict

The properties were also to be located near ski slopes, leading them to think it was the perfect base for their families. But despite investing in 2007, no building work was ever carried out on the site.

Legal proceedings were launched at the High Court in Belfast against Gabriele Giambrone and his firm, Giambrone & Law.

It was alleged that the defendants breached their professional duty to protect the deposits.

The action also claimed Mr Giambrone operated under a conflict of interest, did not properly advise the investors and released their money to a third party agent without authority. Liability was conceded on the eve of trial, leaving the 13 investors facing a new fight to enforce the outcome and recoup their deposits.

Mrs McGuigan said: "This was our dream. We were considering going over and opening up a little restaurant.

"But we've just been given the run around. We're just normal people who have to work hard for a living - we can't afford to lose £500, never mind £50,000."

She added: "We feel totally let down by the legal system that should have been there to support us."

In court, Mr Justice Weatherup ruled that judgment for the plaintiffs would be in sterling, rather than euros, with 4% interest.

Following his confirmation the investors' lawyer, Simon Chambers, also revealed that injunctions have been secured against Giambrone and his insurers in a bid to stop any dissipation of funds earmarked to meet the judgment obtained.

Mr Chambers also vowed: "We will continue to pursue the insurers and the defendant until my clients get their money back."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21575853

Report this post
PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 1:35 pm 

A further article by Alan Erwin (Belfast Telegraph)

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/lifestyle/p ... -1-4826949

Report this post
PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 3:12 pm 

The hearing in Belfast relating to the injunctions against Giambrone and his insurers has now been put on the Court List and is therefore is open to the public.

Attachments:
File comment: Belfast High Court - Commercial List 28.1.13
NI-Cause-List-28.1.13.jpg
NI-Cause-List-28.1.13.jpg [ 142.45 KiB | Viewed 3202 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: March 9th, 2013, 10:22 am 

Good news for the El Caribe buyers!

"After protracted court discussions which involved recesses during which counsel for the parties discussed the case, Mr Justice Burgess said the injunction against Mr Giambrone would remain in place but with two added variations which would facilitate the payment to some of the Northern Ireland investors of approximately £737,000 damages."

"Mr Justice Burgess yesterday varied an injunction on the assets of property developer Gabriele Giambrone who was involved in the scheme along with his firm Giambrone Law which last week admitted liability in court"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 55904.html

Report this post