A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 2:29 pm 

Good morning,

Many of you asked me what happens in case you own an uninhabitable property and if the annual ICI council tax has been abolished.

In this regard first of all please let me point out that the so called “Imposta Comunale surgli Immobili” (ICI) is an Italian tax payable each year to all the Italian Municipalities by homeowners in two stages (June and December) according to the decree law number 504/92. Also non residents who have assets or income produced in Italy are required to pay taxes to the Italian State and so this land tax is applicable to everyone who owns property in Italy.

The amount of the ICI tax is calculated by reference to the cadastral value ( which is the official value of the property) registered in respect of all properties in Italy and it differs from town to town. From a couple of years by Law number 126/2008 the ICI has been abolished on a first home in Italy (with some exemptions) but as long as you own others properties you have to pay this tax on a second home.

Even if you own an uninhabitable property unfortunately you must pay the annual ICI tax. Indeed the “Corte di Cassazione” (the major Italian Tribunal) recently stated with judgment number 22808/2006 that the ICI has to be paid even if the property is not furnished with bathrooms and floors because the allocation of the cadastral income has nevertheless determined the usability of the property and therefore its tax liability.

Please feel free to contact us for further information.

Best Regards

Avvocato Paolo Zagami
Zagamilaw International Law Firm
www.zagamilaw.com

Report this post
PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 7:37 pm 

Dear Paolo

If you own 2 properties in Italy but are a 'non resident' do you have to pay ICI tax on both properties or only the second home.

Lorica

Report this post
PostPosted: June 25th, 2011, 7:42 pm 

How do we go about paying this tax? Thank you

Report this post
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 12:06 am 

eviegardner wrote:

Hi Evie

I'm no lawyer, but I can tell you how I pay my ICI tax.

I've found it to be very simple and easy to do. It's due twice yearly by 16 June and 16 December, although I have arranged to pay mine annually in June, which is easier for me.

You go to the Commune (Council Office) in the morning taking all your documents with you - passport, Codice Fiscale & house contract. You might not need all these, but I've found it's always best to take everything to be on the safe side. There will be some waiting involved, as you need to pay it sometime between 1st and 16th June (and so does everyone else!).

You're asking to "pagare l'ICI" (pag-ar-ray l'ee-chee), and will be directed to the person who will calculate and print your bill for you. You then take the bill to the Post Office, and pay it there. This will involve more waiting!

A good tip is either to go very early when they first open, or very late just before they close for lunch. The most difficult part is the amount of waiting involved - the actual calculating and paying of the bill is easy!!!

Hope this helps
Anna

La Dolce Vita di Pizzo

www.dolcevitapizzo.co.uk

Report this post
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 8:09 am 

annarose wrote:
eviegardner wrote:

pag-ar-ray l'ee-chee

Thank you Rose, this is really helpful, but it made me smile (which is good!) as the phonetics make for a distinctly british accent. For a more local sound try dropping the -y- , pag-areh l'ee-chee.

Now let's hope I got that right otherwise they'll be wondering about all the clog accents down at the tax office ;-).

Report this post
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 7:52 pm 

Thanks Rose for the info, I'll give it a go this week (I presume you mean the Commune in Pizzo?). Dennis, I think I'll bring a piece of paper with pagare l'ICI written in large letters so that'll solve the pronounication problems!

Report this post
PostPosted: August 15th, 2011, 11:30 am 

Thank you, annarose, for the useful information.

Can this be arranged remotely though, as we would at home, for example, by setting up a "standing order"?
If it has to be done in person can you arrange for someone else to sort it, if you're not around?

Report this post
PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 11:21 am 

Well dont you get an ICI bill sent every year when its due?

Report this post
PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 8:53 pm 

Is the responsibility on the owner as we don't even have any bins etc yet ?-I think the complex is not fully registered and I was told the first year is covered by the fees paid to the notary does anyone know if this is correct
or am I building interest charges on unpaid ee chee tax Thanks in advance.
Pamela

Report this post
PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 10:24 pm 

pamela wrote:
Is the responsibility on the owner as we don't even have any bins etc yet ?-I think the complex is not fully registered and I was told the first year is covered by the fees paid to the notary does anyone know if this is correct
Pamela

Pamela that could be correct cause we completed in 2009 but got our 1st bill in 2010.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 9:00 am 

Simu wrote:
pamela wrote:
Pamela

Pamela that could be correct cause we completed in 2009 but got our 1st bill in 2010.

I don't think you are correct. The ICI starts from the day you sign your 'final deed' so you will be charged from that date and a fine added if payment is late.

Lorica

Report this post
PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 10:59 am 

lorica wrote:
Simu wrote:
pamela wrote:
Pamela

I don't think you are correct. The ICI starts from the day you sign your 'final deed' so you will be charged from that date and a fine added if payment is late.

Lorica

Well I dont know then, thats how I got mine, may be some1 else can shed some light on this. Also need to know if we would get a bill sent every year or not.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 11:05 am 

Simu

Who completed the registration form for ICI tax for you?

Lorica

Report this post
PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 2:02 pm 

lorica wrote:
Simu

Who completed the registration form for ICI tax for you?

Lorica

Hi Lorica,
I have no idea, I know I didnt.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 11:24 am 

Hi, I haven't posted for a while but like to look in sometimes to see what is happening.
If this is for refuse collection etc, we had to complete a form at the town hall. We had an interpreter with us which was invaluable.
They now send bills to our address in the UK and we paid the bill at a post office in Calabria when we went on holiday.
It was quite a small bill and I think we got charged a small fee for being late.
I would need to check but I'm sure it was about 30 euros including fee for one year.
I hope this is helpful.
Liz

Report this post
PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 3:00 pm 

Liz,
Do you get a bill every year?

Report this post
PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 4:23 pm 

Hi Simu.
The ICI tax is against the property you own and is set by the cadastral value. The rubbish collection tax is called the "Tarsu" tax. From the amount paid I would guess you have paid the Tarsu tax. The ICI tax will be higher but still not as eye watering as the uk.
I am no expert but I have found out the hard way by spending half a day paying my half yearly ICI tax. The explanation of visiting local council office (town hall) to get the form to pay and then going to the post office to pay is spot on. It is your responsibility to pay no reminder will drop through the letter box.
The annual Tarsu tax will be billed by post to your address and I think it can also be paid at the post office. Take advice on this one as I am not 100% sure as I did'nt pay mine myself.
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: August 19th, 2011, 5:53 pm 

Allen C wrote:
It is your responsibility to pay no reminder will drop through the letter box.

I would like to underline the above.

If unpaid over time, interests and fee's accrue and action will be taken eventually.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 9:56 am 

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the info so I know now that there will be no reminders etc. Not good though.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 9:52 am 

Thanks for all the information so- In summary I need to go to the town hall -The local council office, get a form and pay at the post office -will the town hall tell me what I owe if I give them my property details?
I am going out and I will do this in September -will the rubbish tax Tarsu be from a different place or will both be together,and will it be due even though as yet we have no bins or rubbish being collected?
Thanks again for the help.
Pamela

Report this post
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 10:29 pm 

Pamela.
For the ICI we took our codice fiscale's and passports. We had a lot of help from our local Italian friends in S'illario, including the mayor, local cafe owner, his son and the daughter of a Calabrian man who lives in Belgium for half the year... Might be a good idea to take your deeds (or copy of). In fact any documents that will help at the town hall office.
I am not at all sure where the Tarsu tax demand is issued from but I would guess the town hall.
Hope this helps and good luck with your adventure into the Italian burocratic jungle.
Allen C

Report this post
PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 3:25 pm 

Quote:
Can this be arranged remotely though, as we would at home, for example, by setting up a "standing order"?
If it has to be done in person can you arrange for someone else to sort it, if you're not around?

To re-iterate, there will be no bills (or reminders) sent to you, and unfortunately it can't be done remotely. The only way is as I described above of going to the Commune and Post Office in person.

However, someone else can do this for you. Although it's probably best to go yourself the first time, as this could cause all sorts of unforseen bureaucratic complications!! If you have a rental management company, they are used to doing these things, and will sort it out for you (for a fee).

I am willing to accompany people in Pizzo the first time (and to provide interpreting services/assistance for any official purpose if required). Please contact me at dolcevitapizzo@hotmail.co.uk for more info.

All the best
Anna

www.dolcevitapizzo.co.uk

Report this post
PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 3:01 pm 

Thanks to all for the information.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 10:28 am 

lorica wrote:
Dear Paolo

If you own 2 properties in Italy but are a 'non resident' do you have to pay ICI tax on both properties or only the second home.

Lorica

Dear Lorica,

First of all, foreign people are equalized to Italian citizens. Because of this, according to the Resolution n° 12 of “Direzione per il federalismo fiscale del Dipartimento delle Finanze del Ministero dell’Economia” on the Decree Law 93/2008, point 6/B, is underlined that, according to Law 24/03/1993, n. 75, is recognized the deduction only if the property is not located (rented), I mean that it has to result as principal residence.

But this detraction from ICI works only if it was provided as first residence by the local bylaw in force on May 29th 2008.

Best Regards

Avvocato Paolo Zagami
Zagamilaw International Law Firm
www.zagamilaw.com

Report this post