A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 11:03 pm 

Dear All,

Recent events related to a particular development (JOTS) have led our firm to change its approach to the Calabrian phenomenon.

Our firm witnessed the beginning of the Calabrian property boom (which started at the end of 2006) and assisted many clients who successfully completed their purchases.

However, at the same time, we struggled to complete due diligence on various developments and had to advise clients that it would have been better to pull out from the purchase.

We felt that it would have been just a matter of time before bigger problems came to light. Unfortunately, as the forecast completion date set in many preliminary contracts approached, we were proven right as the number of clients instructing our firm to start litigation proceedings either in Italy or England soared.

For this reason we are organising a series of free seminars (probable dates first two weeks of May - dates and location to be confirmed according to demand) where we will describe our experience of the Calabrian phenomenon as well as provide a general update regarding our court progress so far.

We are aware that many buyers have changed their legal representative but everyone is invited and welcome. We feel that, as a firm which has witnessed the Calabrian phenomenon from its inception and has filed several claims in Italy and England, we have built considerable experience and knowledge. We believe that attending these seminars and sharing information would be beneficial to many frustrated buyers.

The seminars will be divided into two parts: the first will introduce our team and give a general overview of how the Calabrian phenomenon started and developed. We will then follow up with individual slots where each attendee will have the opportunity to briefly discuss their case with members of our team.

For this reason, we have prepared the attached form which you can complete and send to either of the following email addresses: michelem@iplc.co.uk or luigib@iplc.co.uk

The form will allow us to organise the seminars and ensure that each attendee will not only benefit from the overview but provide us with enough information to maximise the subsequent free individual case assessment.

If you would like further information feel free to call us on +44 (0)207 173 6186 or +44 (0)207 173 6188 or reply with a private message.

IPLC - B & M LAW
CALABRIA SEMINARS
1. PERSONAL INFORMATION
Title:
Please enter Mr., Mrs., Ms. or Dr. as appropriate.
First Name:
Please enter your first name.
Surname:
Please enter your surname.
Address:

Please enter your current address where you are resident.
Telephone Number:
Please enter your telephone number. Remember to include your international country code if you are not resident in the United Kingdom.
E-mail:
Please enter your regular e-mail address (Please make sure it is the e-mail address you regularly check)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. PROPERTY INFORMATION
Complex Name:
Please give the name of the name of the complex were initially purchasing.
Apartment Block-Apartment Number:
Please type the name of the block and apartment where you were initially purchasing.
Please give the name of the town in which this complex was situated.
Builder Of Your Apartment:
Please enter the name of the builder/construction company who built/was building the complex in which your apartment was housed.
Developer Of Your Apartment:
Please enter the name of the developer who was selling/purporting to sell the complex in which your apartment was housed.
Price Of Your Apartment: €
Please indicate the price of the apartment that you bought. This should be an amount excluding legal fees but including VAT.

Initial Deposit: €
Please enter the initial amount of Euros you put down on your apartment. i.e. the amount you transferred to the developer to take the apartment off the market.
Stage Payment 1: €
The first stage payment was usually due upon signature of the preliminary contract
Balance Payment 2: €
The final payment was due upon signature of the final deed in front of an Italian Notaio. Please indicate how much you were expected to pay on completion.
Completion Statement: €
Please indicate if you have paid any sum to your legal representative upon receiving a completion statement.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Legal Representative:
Please give the name of the lawyer that you initially dealt with your purchase. We appreciate that you may have dealt with more than one person. This box should be populated with the name of your initial contact.
Term Of Retainer:
Please indicate if you agree a fixed fee service.
Did Your Legal Representative Communicate To You A Breakdown Of Costs And Details Of Conveyance In Any Written Format?:
Please indicate if you received a client care letter detailing who was in charge of your case and the details.
Did You Transfer The Money To Your Legal representative:
Please indicate if you transferred to your legal representative’s bank account.
Did You Receive Any Legal Advice From Your Legal Representative?:
Please indicate if you received during the conveyance any legal advice on (a) any of the provisions in the contract, (b) your available remedies for breach by the developer and (c) your obligations under it after signature.
Did Your Legal Representative Transfer Your Money To Your Developer?:
Please indicate whether or not you know if your legal representative transferred the whole of your money on to your developer.
How Much Did You Pay Your Legal Representative In Legal Fees For Your Apartment?: €
Trustee Provisions
Does Your Contract State That Moneys Paid To The Developer/Builder Should Be Held In Trust/Legal Representative’s Bank Account:
Get your initial contract and look for a term such as the following "Money transferred to the developer will be held in an escrow/trust account until receipt of a bank loan guarantee."
If You Did Not Complete, Did Your Legal Representative Ask You For Money To Sue Your Developer/Builder?:
Please indicate whether, if you did not complete, your legal representative contacted you and asked for more money to pursue your developer/builder in a civil action.
Did you instruct your Legal Representative To Sue Your Developer?:
Please indicate whether you di took up your legal representative's proposal.

Your Losses
What Are Your Total Losses As A Result Of Dealing With Calabria: €

Report this post
PostPosted: April 16th, 2011, 6:40 pm 

please briefly describe what is meant by The Calabria Phenomenon.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 11:15 am 

IPLC - B & M LAW,
When you reply to christine9anderson's post you might like to comment on an "unfortunate situation" at the Place in the Sun exhibition with your senior partner Stefano Lucatello launching into a tirade of criticism about JOTs and the builder RDV which ended up with him being hauled in the office of the Exhibition hosts. I also believe that Mr Lucatello has previously been arrested for allegedly hurling abuse at another spectator at a football match. Is this all true? Do you feel your senior partner need lessons in how to behave in public?

Can you confirm whether IPLC's financial troubles are now at an end and who B&M Law are?
Thank you.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 8:20 pm 

On which developments did you assist clients to complete their purchases?
At the risk of being shouted at by other members you did right to advise clients to avoid developments like JOTS. I have stated on this forum several times that contracts for some of the bigger developments were deemed unsafe, as advised by my solicitor.
If you want to be treated as being genuine here it would be wise to back up your claims.
There are forum members who have lost a lot of money, others have been waiting 4 years or more to complete.
I, fortunately, am not one of them but if you have read previous posts you must appreciate how suspicious it seems that some law firm has suddenly appeared to take action for them.

mags

Report this post
PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 8:40 pm 

Noted that you logged off before replying!!

Report this post
PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 9:33 am 

IPLC wrote:

We felt that it would have been just a matter of time before bigger problems came to light.

What on earth is that statement meant to mean?????

This demonstrates quite transparently that you're on a money-making exercise here.

IC

Report this post
PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 6:37 pm 

Dear Christine, Audrey, Mags and Cleere,

In response to your requests for clarification, I would like start by clarifying that I used the term “the Calabrian Phenomenon” as a synonym for the “Calabria property boom”.

In fact, over the last five years Calabria has attracted the interest of thousands of foreign buyers.

I am fairly confident that the majority of these investors are now fully enjoying their properties and the relaxed pace of life. However, many of them (for various reasons) will only be dreaming about it.

Working for the Italian department of the IPLC (a firm which has various departments covering countries like Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Bulgaria, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Brazil, Cape Verde, to quote those dealt with in-house) and talking to my colleagues we have noticed that some patterns are recurrent when a particular area becomes a “hot spot” for buyers interested in purchasing a second home abroad. Typically no one (neither vendor nor buyer) want to miss the opportunity to make a good investment in what appears to be an “emerging market”.

In other words, albeit with some distinction, Calabria has encountered a similar phenomenon and while it is true that the vast majority of foreign investors are “happy investors” it is also true that a portion of the buyers have told me on several occasions that their “dream had turned into a nightmare”.

Looking back at my experience I can group my clients into four categories:

1) Completely satisfied: luckily they are the majority and they bought both off plan and resale;
2) Damage limitation: clients who struggled to complete and who are not entirely happy with their purchase (e.g., lack of client care by the developers), but who own a house in Calabria and are happy with the Calabrian lifestyle;
3) Determined to fight back: where the development was never started or is not completed. These clients are ready to engage in a court case if they have to;
4) Resigned and powerless: people who are suffering the consequences of the credit crunch in UK and Ireland and that feel that litigation in Italy or England is either too costly or too stressful to engage in.

Therefore, I completely understand that there are a great many doubts about an “Anglo-Italian” law firm and for this reason I have prepared the form (which follows the initial post) so that each buyer interested in our services can give me specific information regarding his/her purchase. I do not want to raise unnecessary alarm so I prefer to post a pm to discuss in more detail which developments we have advised/are advising on, but in general terms the developments most discussed on this forum are the ones which have been advised on.

With regard to Mr Lucatello’s appearance at A Place In The Sun Live in London, I cannot comment directly because I was not present. However, I have been informed by various reliable people that, while attending as an expert on the panel regarding buying in Italy, he replied to a specific question asked by a member of the public with reference to JOTS by stating that our firm is representing clients in a court case currently pending in Italy. I can only confirm this fact and I am not surprised that revealing this information in a public arena has generated what I consider a genuine debate. It is my opinion that only by gathering as much information as possible will the buyers of JOTS be able to make an informed decision regarding their investment.

Finally, with the phrase “just a matter of time before bigger problems came to light” I meant that at that time (mid 2006 – mid 2008) I was struggling to complete due diligence on many developments because I was not receiving the documents I had been requesting from various developers. Therefore I had to advise clients that I was not in a position to guarantee that the purchase would have been safe and that signing the preliminary contract would have been risky.

Much like any other professional I would certainly welcome more clients but I am not on a money-making exercise (Friday’s post being the third since I joined the forum almost two years ago is certainly proof of this).

I hope this post satisfies your requests for clarification and I am available to provide you with more information.

Since it is my intention to be more active on this forum and you will certainly see more of me in the future.

Michele Menato

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 5:05 pm 

With all due respect Mr Menato,you did not adddress all my queries,you only expressed your opinion on the "unfortunate situation" at the Place in the Sun exhibition. No answer to arrest, no answer to their financial problems and no answer to who B&M Law are..
Can you clarify/comment on these issues please.
Thank you,
Audrey

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 6:08 pm 

What do you intend to do with the extremely detailed, and I suspect commercially valuable, data your form collects?

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 7:28 pm 

Totally agree, the information requested is disproportionate to the stated purpose in my opinion.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 7:59 pm 

Audery2010,
You have quoted JOTS buyers website regarding Stefano Lucatello of IPLC. If you carried out further research, you will find that Stefano Lucatello was never charged for that football match incident.
I could not find out anything about the “unfortunate incident” in the place at the sun exhibition as stated in JOTS forum, but, it is a good thing that there are solicitors who are willing to stand up against the builders of JOTS.
With regards to the financial situation you brought up I would like to quote the SRA website about Mr Lucatello below:
“SRA Decision details: Mr Lucatello is required to delivery 6 monthly accountant's reports, such reports and any ceased to hold reports to be delivered to the SRA within 2 months of the end of the period to which the report relates.
SRA Reasons/basis:Mr Lucatello is the subject of a Partnership Voluntary Agreement (PVA). Given Mr Lucatello’s present financial situation the Adjudicator was satisfied that it is in the public interest for some measure of additional regulatory control to be imposed to protect client money. In order to maintain the public’s confidence in the profession the Adjudicator was satisfied that in the circumstances it is in the public interest for the SRA to monitor more closely Mr Lucatello’s compliance with the Solicitors’ Accounts Rules by delivering more frequent accountant’s report. The condition requiring more frequent accountant’s reports is not intended to suggest that Mr Lucatello’s financial problems have come about because of misconduct on his part.”
Audery2010, May I have your views on the following:
1)Builder of Jots is forcing buyers to sign a new addendum, which takes away the right to sue the builder for breaches. The new addendum has also removed VFI from the contract.
2) Builder has gone back on his word and is now refusing to pay the compensation for the delay unless the buyers accept the new terms and conditions by signing the new addendum. The new addendum also forces buyers to pay a penalty to the builder if the they refuse to complete when the builder says complete.
3) There is a new restriction on JOTS that they will never ever be able to sell to anyone residing in Italy and the propery can only be sold outside
4) BLG supplied were never valid and the new BLG will only be issued if buyers either sign the new addendum or write an official letter stating that you will complete on JOTS when the builder is ready.
5) The plan for the new road layout is now changed
6) How many workers have they got working in JOTS now?. We were told that there would be a few hundred by end of December2010 with webcam ready. There is still no sign of webcam.
Apart from Michale Menato of IPLC looking into bringing action against those involved with JOTS, there are also other solicitors looking into doing similar things with other parties involved with JOTS. Those solicitors are:
1)Simon Chambers of russell and co
Tel: 028 9181 4444 e-mail: natalie@russellandcompany.co.uk
2)David Greene from Edwin Coe LLP Tel 020 7691 4020
e-mail: duncan.mchardy@edwincoe.com

3) Michael Menato of IPLC Tel:+44 (0)207 173 6186 or +44 (0)207 173 6188

Edwin Coe has a seminar in London at 3 pm tomorrow to discuss JOTS (similar to the one Michael Menato of IPLC is planning soon in his post above).
Audery2010, The JOTS website also pointed out negative things about Edwin Coe, who is also bring action. However never points out anything wrong with any parties associated with JOTS like Giambrone and Law helping buyers of JOTS. Have you ever tried looking up Giambrone and Law on the internet?
The builder or the parties associated with JOTS have nothing to fear if they have not done anything wrong.
Keep up the good work Michael Menato, Simon Chambers and David Green. Thank you very much for looking into our JOTS nightmare. Those who are not interested in teh help of any of these solicitors ofcourse do not have to give any of their details to these solicitors.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 8:40 pm 

SuePollard wrote:
Audery2010,
1)Simon Chambers of russell and co
Tel: 028 9181 4444 e-mail: natalie@russellandcompany.co.uk
2)David Greene from Edwin Coe LLP Tel 020 7691 4020
e-mail: duncan.mchardy@edwincoe.com

3) Michael Menato of IPLC Tel:+44 (0)207 173 6186 or +44 (0)207 173 6188

Apart from the above solicitors, we have been informed that there is also another solcitor who is bringing action directly against RDV the builder on behalf of the buyers for breaches through the Italian court.

I also believe that it is a good thing that so many solicitors are getting involved and will certainly be speaking to all the above solictors.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 11:21 pm 

SuePollard wrote:
Audery2010,
Audery2010, May I have your views on the following:
1)Builder of Jots is forcing buyers to sign a new addendum, which takes away the right to sue the builder for breaches. The new addendum has also removed VFI from the contract.
2) Builder has gone back on his word and is now refusing to pay the compensation for the delay unless the buyers accept the new terms and conditions by signing the new addendum. The new addendum also forces buyers to pay a penalty to the builder if the they refuse to complete when the builder says complete.
3) There is a new restriction on JOTS that they will never ever be able to sell to anyone residing in Italy and the propery can only be sold outside
4) BLG supplied were never valid and the new BLG will only be issued if buyers either sign the new addendum or write an official letter stating that you will complete on JOTS when the builder is ready.
5) The plan for the new road layout is now changed
6) How many workers have they got working in JOTS now?. We were told that there would be a few hundred by end of December2010 with webcam ready. There is still no sign of webcam.

Audrey2010,
As asked by Sue, please may we have your views on the above? Are you with G&L that the other JOTS site works with? Have you managed to look up Giambrone&Law on the internet and any comments about your findings? Are you going to be signing the new addendum as advised by the JOTS forum and what do you think about the new completion date of December 2013 with work starting on the golf course still unknown.
I have been in touch with the gentleman who raised the question about the situation with JOTS at the exhibition of “Place in the Sun”. The information that I have is that Stefano Lucatello just replied by saying that buying in Calabria is not a problem as long as you have an honest builder and an honest solicitor. Mr Lucatello then went on to say that his firm is currently working for buyers of JOTS in bringing action in court. He also suggested that people look up “Jewel of the sea” and “G&L” on the internet if they wanted to know why buyers his firm is representing are disappointed with JOTS. Mr Lucatello was complimented for his expertise by the host of the exhibition according to my information.
It is no secret that RDV had a terrible English translator at the exhibition and later at the buyer's meeting. That may be the reason, why JOTS forum, who works with RDV and is the communication channel for RDV, reported that incident as unfortunate. I believe that RDV has now parted company with that particular English translator.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 2:53 pm 

Dear Gsullymorgan and BergaKing,
the seminar will be divided in two parts: in the first part we will talk about the various "scenarios" which we have experienced in dealing with Calabria. Then we will offer a free individual assessment (if requested) to each attendee. Obviously we will have to limit the assessment to 15-20 min for each attendee and it is therefore essential that we familiarise with the information regarding each purchase beforehand.
Please note that as a solicitor registered with the SRA I am bound to keep confidential any information I receive (therefore even from members of the public/potential clients) and to treat them in accordance to the data protection act 1998.
Michele Menato

Report this post
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 2:31 pm 

Suepollard,
The questions I put to Mr Menato were what I had heard through the grapevine and I was hoping that he would clarify them but instead he ignored them and you answered.
Thank you for your responce although it would have had much more weight coming from the horses mouth,so to speak.
Regarding JOTS, yes I to think it was right to advise clients to avoid developments like JOTS. I cannot for the life of me understand why purchasers are still listening to all this waffle coming from RDV. In the first instance they blamed the Commune for the invalid PP and months of delay,now they are blaming their original solicitors,does any lawyer now who RDV's original lawyers were ? This is a question I cannot get answered even of my current lawyer?
The addendum
1)Builder of Jots is forcing buyers to sign a new addendum, which takes away the right to sue the builder for breaches. The new addendum has also removed VFI from the contract
My view on this is G/L had a 'part' in drafting it - The addendum came about as a result of the builders breach of contract (late delivery,his faulth entirely)and G/L advise purchasers to sign it at a fee to the injured party? A total conflict of interest!!! is it not,its almost laughable if they had'nt got all our hard earned cash.
Sue, I could go through and answer your questions one by one but in short I think from the BLG's,contracts and all the legal procedures attached to buying a property in Italy, all parties VFI,G/L and RDV have broke every Italian Law connected with the purchase of a property on JOTS.
I bought an apartment on JOTS in June 07' with our retirement in mind,we were told we could apply for residency (this confirmation took place on the phone with G/L) I found out a short time later,from a notary in Tuscany,that indeed he was very doubtful whether I could become an Italian resident at this address and this was BEFORE the new PP was granted!!!!!! with the new restriction on JOTS that purchasers will never ever be able to sell to anyone residing in Italy and the propery can only be sold outside.
I did try to offer this and subsequent knowledge I gained from him for discussion on the old JOTS site but I was branded as someone who wanted JOTS to fail !!!!!!! I loved the place? I had 50% of my money invested in it?
I disinstructed G/L a long time ago and started legal proceedings against them with one of the solicitors mentioned by bellesanchez51
I have also issued legal proceeding against RDV,altrough they state that there are only aware of 4/5 claims against them,I can at least confirm 20 claims.
Sorry if you misinterpreted my post but I feel it is of the utmost importance now that purchasers engage a lawyer with integrity and a strong sence of justise,so now as the JOTS saga is coming to an end people must be very careful as you can see Lawyers are coming out of the wood work now to cash in.
Hope this clarifies my position,
Sincerely,
Audrey

Report this post
PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 4:04 pm 

Audrey2010 - I am sorry to hear of your troubles and all others at JOTS and can understand your suspicions regarding 'lawyers coming out of the wood work', however as one who has used the services of Michele Menato I can vouch for the professionalism with which he and his firm conduct themselves.

Furthermore if you care to look back on this forum you will see that Michele Menato and IPLC were one of. if not the, first to confront developers and lawyers on behalf of UK residents along time ago when San Rocco buyers were having grave difficulties. This was at a time when other lawyers would not become involved. So if your suspicions are directed at Michele Menato then I feel they are misdirected.

This is purely a personal view and I am not connected to any company or person mentioned on this forum either in Italy or the UK.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 11:41 am 

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce that IPLC’s free seminar on Calabria will be held in London on Saturday 7 May (venue to be confirmed).

The seminar will be divided into two parts.

During the first part, you will meet the team, who will give an overview of their experiences of the “Calabria Phenomenon” – the good and the bad.

During the second part, we are offering a free 30-minute individual assessment where you will meet a member of the team, in private, to discuss any matter related to your past, or pending, purchase.

We are aware that your weekends are precious and we would like you to make the most of your time and the free assessment we are offering. In order to achieve this, we feel that it is essential that we familiarise ourselves with the specifics of your purchase ahead of the seminar. In this way we can get to the core of your issue and discuss your options and possible course of action.

Given time restraints, availability is limited and time slots will be allocated to those who have registered an interest.

So that we may familiarise ourselves with your individual circumstances, please send us the details of your purchase by using the form included in my initial post on this thread. Alternatively you can contact us for a copy of the form. Emails should be sent to either Michele Menato (michelem@iplc.co.uk) or Luigi Bernardis (luigib@iplc.co.uk), who will be hosting the seminar. You may also call us on 020 7173 6186 or 020 7173 6188, respectively.

Information provided will be treated as confidential and in accordance with in force data protection regulation.

Further details regarding time, location and specifics of the seminar will follow shortly. I wish you a happy Easter break and look forward to meeting with you in May.

Kind regards,

Michele Menato

Report this post
PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 6:03 pm 

Dear All,
We hereby confirm that the Calabria Seminar will be held in London, the details of which are as follows:
Date: 7th May 2011
Venue: Frazer House, 32-38 Leman Street, London E1 8EW at the offices of The International Law Centre
Agenda:
10.30am Registration
11.00am Welcome
11.05am Introduction to Legal Team
11.15am General discussion of our legal experience in Calabria
11.45am Pending action in Italy and UK
12.15am Questions and answers session
12.30am Break
12.45am Introduction to individual assessments
12.55am Closing
13.00am Free individual assessments (30 min per attendee). Booking is essential, the places are limited.

Please note that during the seminar we will explain the progress made thus far in relation to litigation matters in Calabria and in particular with regard to JOTS, I Balconi di Zambrone, BellaVista II, El Caribe. We will explain why for some complexes, we opted for the litigation in UK and why for others, we preferred the litigation in Italy. Further, we will look at the legal reasoning behind the choices and the likelihood of success.
We will further clearly explain the distinction between a Contractual Claim against the builder (in Italy) and a Negligence Claim against a professional (in UK). Further, how the two claims could interfere with each other and the effect of the timing of lodging a claim (in other words when "time is on my side" and "what happens if I do not act now").
It is difficult to condense in few lines the various areas which will be covered during the seminar, but I am available to give more details, about the seminar and the topics covered, either via telephone +44 (0)207 173 6186 or via email michelem@iplc.co.uk.
Please confirm your attendance by RSVP on michelem@iplc.co.uk.
We look forward to assisting you with your legal issue in Calabria.
Yours faithfully
The International Law Centre LLP

Report this post
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 5:44 pm 

Dear All,

I regret to announce that the free legal seminar scheduled for this Saturday, 7th May, 2011 has now been postponed to Saturday 4th June 2011 at 10.30 am at Frazer House, 32-38 Leman Street, London E1 8EW.

Please do not hesitate to contact us to reserve your 30 minute free individual assessment.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Yours faithfully

Michele Menato
The International Law Centre
Tel: 0207 173 6186
email: michelem@iplc.co.uk

Report this post
PostPosted: September 26th, 2011, 9:44 pm 

bellesanchez51 wrote:
SuePollard wrote:
Audery2010,
Mr Lucatello was complimented for his expertise by the host of the exhibition according to my information.
It is no secret that RDV had a terrible English translator at the exhibition and later at the buyer's meeting. That may be the reason, why JOTS forum, who works with RDV and is the communication channel for RDV, reported that incident as unfortunate. I believe that RDV has now parted company with that particular English translator.

Just heard that the organisers of "A Place in the sun" exhibition held last time in Earls Court were really impressed with the expertise of the well respected Stefano Lucatello.

It has just been confirmed by Richard Hellings on behalf of "A Place in the Sun" that the A Place in the Sun Live 2011 at the NEC Birmingham 30th September - 2nd October 2011 have chosen Stefano Lucatello Senior Partner of The International Property Law Centre LLP to deliver the Buying Advice Seminar where he will deliver a free seminar on Buying in Italy at 3PM on each day of the show.

Having attended Stefano Lucatello's seminar in Earls Court earlier this year, I would say they are well worth attending as Stefano Lucatello is not afraid of pointing fingers at "bent" developers and "bent" lawyers that he knows should be avoided in Calabria.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 5:37 pm 

Dear All,

Since our last post and our June seminar we have continued to assist clients in litigation in Italy and England in relation to some issues affecting certain Calabrian developments. We have noticed that there is still confusion regarding some potential remedies and, in particular, the difference between a contractual and a negligence claim. For this reason we are offering a free 30 minute consultation either at our offices in London (if you live in south west England) or over the phone if you cannot reach London easily. Feel free to contact us via mail using michelem@iplc.co.uk or luigib@iplc.co.uk or via telephone on 0207 173 6186 or 0207 173 6188.

Kind regards.
Avv. Michele Menato
Joint Head of the Italian Department
The International Property Law Centre LLP
Tel 0044 (0)20 7173 6186
Tel Mob 07969 081 313
E-mail: michelem@iplc.co.uk

Registered Office: 14 Scale Lane, Hull HU1 1LA
Also at Frazer House, 32-38 Leman Street, London, E1 8EW
Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA Number 495898

The SRA Rules can be found by visiting the SRA website: http//www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/code-of-conduct.page

The International Property Law Centre LLP Partnership No OC337700 VAT No 937513413

Report this post
PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 6:19 pm 

Dear All,

I would like to inform you that IPLC offices moved to the new address of:

Zenith House
155 Curtain Road
London EC2A 3QY

Telephone call to 0207 173 6186 will be redirected to our new office.
You can also call 0796 992 4087 or 0796 992 4257 or emailing us.

I apologise for anyone who tried to contact us in recent days and have not been able to get in contact with us.

Best regards.

Avv. Michele Menato

Also at Zenith House, 155 Curtain Road, London EC2A 3QY
Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA Number 495898

The SRA Rules can be found by visiting the SRA website: http//www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/code-of-conduct.page

The International Property Law Centre LLP Partnership No OC337700 VAT No 937513413

Report this post
PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 7:27 pm 

IPLC wrote:
Dear All,

I would like to inform you that IPLC offices moved to the new address of:

Zenith House
155 Curtain Road
London EC2A 3QY

Telephone call to 0207 173 6186 will be redirected to our new office.
You can also call 0796 992 4087 or 0796 992 4257 or emailing us.

I apologise for anyone who tried to contact us in recent days and have not been able to get in contact with us.

Best regards.

Avv. Michele Menato

Also at Zenith House, 155 Curtain Road, London EC2A 3QY

Hi Michele

I have been informed by a couple of the "Jewel of the Sea" buyers who tried to contact you earlier today that your telephone number 0207 173 6186 is still not working, however all your other contact details are working fine.

Cheers

Report this post
PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 3:00 pm 

some interesting info about IPLC:

http://sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-c ... Decision-1

http://sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-c ... Decision-1

Report this post
PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 5:19 pm 

markm wrote:

Reference to IPLC, the SRA just suggests that they have put measures to ensure that clients money is protected and that Mr Lucatello’s situation has not come about as a result of any misconduct on his part. Measures being the delivery of 6 monthly accounting report.

Quote from SRA:
“Adjudicator was satisfied that it is in the public interest for some measure of additional regulatory control to be imposed to protect client money. The measure being the delivery of 6 monthly accounting report.
The condition requiring more frequent accountant’s reports is not intended to suggest that Mr Lucatello’s financial problems have come about because of misconduct on his part.”

Now compare the above against the SRA decision on Giambrone and Law. http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicit ... ref=search

Think its very clear that IPLC is feared by RDV and G&L. The recent free initial advice given by IPLC to buyers points out clear breaches by the Vendors of Jewel of the sea as well as negligence by some of the lawyers ( G&L) representing buyers. Buyers have now seriously started thinking about bringing litigation action against RDV and G&L.

Michael Menato was one of the very few lawyes who advised clients against buying in Jewel of the sea at the same time as G&L were signing up clients in bucket loads to proceed with the purchase of Jewel of the Sea.

Jewel of the sea development has now reached crisis point. The builder has finally admitted that he has no money to complete the build. He is now looking for someone to fund the project. The banks are refusing to lend . G&L considered doing a deal with a subcontractor requiring stage payments from buyers, however buyers were not willing to fall for that. Not heard anything positive yet about the seizure order for the beach front properties either.

I have spoken to Michele Minato and would advice every buyer of Jewel of the sea to contact Michele Minato at IPLC for a free 30 minute consultation. Mr Minato is aware of the JOTS situation and what actions can be brought against RDV as well as G&L.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 7:44 pm 

thanks for the informative post.
however I am still having doubts about their practice:
a) one of them, Mr Bernardis, claims to be a fully qualified Italian lawyer (but not any records in the Italian Law Bar) -if you can, please advise.
b) IPLC actions against RDV and GL seem to be infertile and lengthy.

I've been advised that another law firm in UK (Russell&co solicitors) is having quicker results relating to 2 huge negligence claims against G&L.
Also, I've been recommended by a member of this forum to contact a small Italian law firm (www.studiolegaleminasi.com).Apparently, they are successfully closing disputes in Calabria and recovering money via the SRA.
It seems that both firms strictly collaborates.
Any comments would be appreciated..
thanks
M

Report this post
PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 8:23 pm 

markm wrote:
thanks for the informative post.
however I am still having doubts about their practice:
a) one of them, Mr Bernardis, claims to be a fully qualified Italian lawyer (but not any records in the Italian Law Bar) -if you can, please advise.
b) IPLC actions against RDV and GL seem to be infertile and lengthy.

I've been advised that another law firm in UK (Russell&co solicitors) is having quicker results relating to 2 huge negligence claims against G&L.
Also, I've been recommended by a member of this forum to contact a small Italian law firm (http://www.studiolegaleminasi.com).Apparently, they are successfully closing disputes in Calabria and recovering money via the SRA.
It seems that both firms strictly collaborates.
Any comments would be appreciated..
thanks
M

Hi MarkM

I have also spoken to Michele Menato and he is fully aware of the situation in Jewel of the sea. Don't know how, but he seems to know exactly whats going on with JOTS! Eventhough Michele Menato is fully aware of the wrong doings of G&L, he will be recommending action against RDV in Italy and will be going against RDV for breaching the contract. Think anyone who has read the contract will easily be able to identify the breaches. The contract states that any breach will result in the builder returning double the deposit back. Therefore Michele Menato will be going for double the deposit back from RDV. Think it’s meant to take between 3 to 5 years to get a result.

I have also spoken to Simon Chambers from Russell & co Solicitors. Have also spoken to Edwin Coe solicitors.. I believe Simon Chambers started the process a while back and it is assumed that he may be able to get a result against G&L in the next 12 months or so. The reason why its quicker via Simon chambers (Russell&co solicitors) and via Edwin Coe is because the action against G&L is in this country. I am also lead to believe that action brought against G&L to get your deposit back from whats available from the pot of the PI insurance company is a lot quicker than action brought against a developer to get double your deposit back or seizure of JOTS.

Have a feeling that RDV and G&L have repeated many times to buyers that any action brought against them will be infertile and lengthy and JOTS will be completed by year 2010!. Am sure , you will agree that no one knows which route is the right route (ie action agains RDV or action against G&L). Ofcourse both actions may provide a result. I am lead to believe that IPLC are the only Lawyers regulated in UK that is bringing action against RDV.

Never came across www. studiolegaleminasi.com before. Do you know if they are representing any buyers of Jewel of the sea? Are they working with Edwin Coe to bring action against G&L? or are they bringing action against RDV like Michele Menato of IPLC?

Report this post
PostPosted: December 8th, 2011, 12:47 pm 

Dear All,

At IPLC we are perfectly aware of the difference between an Italian litigation and an English one and the different pace of the Court proceeding in each country.

However it is the legal subject which is at the core of the dispute which will determine where, either in Italy or England, it is better to commence legal proceedings in order to protect the client’s interest.

We are currently assisting clients who lodged claims in Italy as well as clients who lodged claims in England. We advise in respect of their particular matters, in accordance with what we think is the best chance of success.

Generally speaking, whenever there is a countersigned preliminary contract and the counterpart is “active and has assets” then the protection of the preliminary contract should be invoked in the competent jurisdiction (so if the preliminary contract relates to a real estate in Italy, Italy will be the competent jurisdiction).

On the contrary, where there is no countersigned contract, then it will be difficult to enforce obligations against a counterpart who could say that it did not enter into any contract. In this case, if the services of a legal advisor where used, then there could be a negligence claim against the legal advisor in the country in which the legal advisor was regulated (so if based in England the competent jurisdiction will be England).

We are trying our best to keep things as simple as possible but we are aware of the huge pressure that buyers may experience due to the various “different opinion” available on the internet.

Please note that my post does not constitute an advice and if you think that you may have a legal problem with the purchase of your property in Calabria you should seek independent legal advice.

For this reason we have offered on several occasion (and still now) a free 45 minutes initial meeting to consider the merits of each particular property purchase.

Yours sincerely,

Michele Menato

Italian Department
International Law Centre LLp
Zenith House
155 Curtain Road
London EC2A 3QY

michelem@iplc.co.uk
Tel: 0044 (0)796 992 4087

Report this post