A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Italian Lawyers
PostPosted: October 16th, 2011, 7:19 pm 

mags wrote:
When are you going over? We leave tomorrow for a quick trip. Return on Friday.
mags

Hi Mags, we're going over on 6th November so I'd guess you'll be back by then. I'm sure we'll eventually have that glass of wine but we might have to wait for the better weather.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 17th, 2011, 2:04 pm 

Can someone ,perhaps Dennis answer a couple of questions re Renting apts out.
In Italy is it law or a requirement to have a licence or something in place to rent out property, is it regulated?
If on a site of e.g. 30 properties, 14 are rented and these people advertise on websites such as Owners direct, how is the condiminium able to make sure that the rules and regs of the site i.e. times of pool use ,no ball games no diving,,dogs not to be brought on site etc are respected by the people renting who are only there usually for 2 weeks of the year .
If on site some of the renters choose to ignore the rules or regs that have been put in place and other owners are being upset by their behaviour, what can be done to avoid these situations happening, especially ,as mentioned before there is no on site
representative from these websites.
With condiminiums all owners have to contribute their share of payment to the upkeep of the grounds, pool etc, what happens when some of the owners who rent and receive the rental money but are not forthcoming with making their payments to the
condominium, their renters are using the facilities but the people who they have rented from have not paid, what can be done?
It seems wrong that they are able to reap the rewards and co owners holidays are upset by the behaviour of some renters because they have paid their money and do not give a fig about others who they will probably never see again.
Owners who rent surely have a responsibility to have in their apts a copy of rules and regs for the renters or to make sure that renters are aware of the rules when they initially book on the website.i.e. make it very clear on the website/booking form that there are rules and regs in place.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 27th, 2011, 8:53 pm 

Blog continued:

Heard nothing for nearly 3 weeks now and suddenly it seems as if the Notary is lining everyone up for a completion date. No-one's told us anything official though and we're relying on friends in Calabria and the good old fashioned grapevine. At least it seems as if something is happening...

Who knows, we could be the proud owners of an Italian casa before Xmas. What a journey!

Report this post
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 9:20 pm 

Blog latest:

Most members will be aware of the difficulties in raising an Italian mortgage... I advised the forum of Che Banca! withdrawing from the non-resident market at the end of July but I received a call from closer to home on Monday afternoon.

I was using a broker - Baydonhill International that, as far as I know, are a reliable company with a good reputation although perhaps mainly in the FX market.

Without any prior warning, I received a call at 2.30pm on Monday afternoon to advise that their International Mortgage Division was closing as of 5pm that same afternoon. I had been using them for my FX transactions as well but shall not entertain any organisation who treats customers with such disdain.

For anyone interested, they have transferred their pending mortgage business to a company called International Personal Finance - after my initial reservations, they have proved themselves to be a breath of fresh air so far.

To date we've had to suffer a dodgy lawyer, dodgy architect, 3 failed attempts to open a bank account, a mortgage application that just seems to go on for ever and now this. Can anything else go wrong with our purchase? - You bet it can!

Report this post
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 11:18 pm 

Would it be easier to mortgage your uk home?
Things are going to be iffy until Greece is sorted Good luck

Report this post
PostPosted: November 5th, 2011, 2:03 pm 

Ionian wrote:
Would it be easier to mortgage your uk home?
Things are going to be iffy until Greece is sorted Good luck

Hi Ionian,

Perhaps in 'normal' times we'd have followed your suggestion but there are a number of factors that make this a less than good option (for us anyway). Here's a couple:

1. With the uncertainty surrounding the Euro, we think it makes sense to pay a good portion of the purchase price using a euro mortgage. This way, we hope to benefit if/when the pound strengthens against the euro. A gamble I know but who would bet against it?

2. Because of my age, our UK mortgage provider requires the loan to be cleared by age 65. Our Italian lender is happy to extend until age 80. This of course makes a massive difference to monthly repayments.

Oh why couldn't we just be young and rich???

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

B&C

Report this post
PostPosted: November 5th, 2011, 9:24 pm 

Bearandcub, did you sort out an Italian bank account ? If not, try IW Bank
( http://www.iwbank.it )
I have an internet account with them which I opened when I purchased nearly 4 years ago. I cant remember the exact details of the procedure for opening an account with them, but I do recall that it was quite straight forward and all done from the UK.
When logged in, you can speak to someone in "chat" and I have always found them to be very helpful and responsive. I also have a Bancomat debit card issued by them, which I use when I go over.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 7th, 2011, 11:34 am 

Doodles: The answer to your question as far as owners who rent properties and are not paying or following the rules is get your administrator to sort it out. That is what you pay them for. there is legal recourse to those owners who do not pay the monthly fees and or follow the rules. The condominium can enforce fines and if needed and perhaps as a last resort put a "lean" on the property so that it cannot be sold until all out standing debts are paid...

Report this post
PostPosted: November 7th, 2011, 3:58 pm 

Doodles

I think it would be a good idea to place in the apartments a copy of your condominium rules for the tenants to see. Also make sure the tenants see the condominium rules as part of the booking process. If the tenants don't adhere to the rules the owner should be contacted as they are ultimately responsible. If all else fails the tenants should be asked to leave

Lorica

Report this post
PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 8:02 pm 

anyone tell me the difference between a contractual and negligence claim???..
Builder not fulfilled his contratual obligations with such things as providing building guarantees, Installing electricity - still on builders supply, site not finished etc... How does one go about claiming on unful filled contractual obligations??/

Report this post
PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 6:59 pm 

marco wrote:
Bearandcub, did you sort out an Italian bank account ? If not, try IW Bank
( http://www.iwbank.it )
I have an internet account with them which I opened when I purchased nearly 4 years ago. I cant remember the exact details of the procedure for opening an account with them, but I do recall that it was quite straight forward and all done from the UK.
When logged in, you can speak to someone in "chat" and I have always found them to be very helpful and responsive. I also have a Bancomat debit card issued by them, which I use when I go over.

Marco,

Your suggestion is much appreciated but it looks as if we've managed to open an account (at last).

For anyone in a similar position, we found Banco Di Napoli very helpful and responsive. In fact the complete opposite to UBI who despite assuring us that everything was in place, let us down badly and without any sign of an apology.

There's a lot more to add but I'll include that in my blog.

Thanks again.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 8:00 pm 

We're with Banco di Napoli too. They have a branch in our high street and as long as you can work out the entry system, they are just fine.
Like every other bank in Italy they charge even though you are in credit.
The tellers in our branch are sour faced but efficient and shake our hands, moving their cigarette whilst doing so, to greet us.
mags
ps
we did have a hiccup at the start as money was sent to their Sicilian branch in error but rectified within a day

Last edited by mags on November 9th, 2011, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 8:05 pm 

ps
forgot to mention that our POA opened the account for us, took us to the bank and introduced us. No chance of them or our POA ripping us off as ... any money we have deposited in the bank has been sent to whatever builder etc on the turn.... and we have utmost trust in our POA
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 9:28 pm 

sunflower wrote:
anyone tell me the difference between a contractual and negligence claim???..
Builder not fulfilled his contratual obligations with such things as providing building guarantees, Installing electricity - still on builders supply, site not finished etc... How does one go about claiming on unful filled contractual obligations??/

Hi Sunflower,

I don't know whether you received any answers on this question.

My understanding (UK law anyway) is that with a contractual claim there is no need to establish/prove a duty of care existed between you and the other party. With a negligence claim the onus would be for you to prove the duty of care - as you can probably deduce, that means an extra hurdle to overcome before you can prosecute your claim.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 5th, 2011, 9:37 pm 

Blog update:

I can't believe the date of the last blog was 3rd November...

There have been many twists and turns with the Italian Bank moving goalposts e.g. imposing deadlines then extending them etc. It's going to be a roller-coaster to the very end but at the risk of tempting fate, the house could be ours for Xmas.

One shining star (and to prove that I can say nice things about people who deserve it) is the absolutely superb service I've received from IPF - International Personal Finance in the form of Elena Cucco. Based on my experience, I would recommend her to anyone looking for property funding.

Question to Moderators - I have a funny feeling one of my posts has been removed - in answer to Mags' post about being helped by her Lawyer to open a bank account. I'm sure I responded with a 'I wouldn't trust the Italian Lawyer we used to open a door let alone a bank account' - was this a figment of my imagination?

Report this post
PostPosted: December 6th, 2011, 10:55 am 

Will keep fingers crossed

Report this post
PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 12:47 pm 

Has anyone used Andrea Parisi lawyers in Lamezia. They have been recommended by our agent but we would appreciate an independent recommendation.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 5:50 pm 

Happy to confirm that this wasn't the lawyer responsiible for our woes. As a general note though, I'd say think very carefully about using a lawyer recommended by the selling agent. Remember the lawyer is supposed to be looking after your best interests - if he has an established relationship with your agent and there's something dodgy that could jeopardise the sale, do you expect they'll advise you impartially?

Report this post
PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 8:53 pm 

I would totally agree with bearncub , i have been there and paid the price . If moderators deem it acceptable i would suggest e mailing Detullio law firm , Avv. Detullio has taken over my case which is ongoing (see thread Santa Venere/Le Marinate). I have found him to be very professional , dilligent and prompt . Bearncub , please tell me how your saga turned out ?

Report this post
PostPosted: October 29th, 2012, 11:38 am 

At InCalabria we do not recommend a specific lawyer or law firm but point to a list of lawyers our clients have had good experiences with. This is the page: http://www.incalabria.com/italian-lawyers

Report this post
PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 9:20 pm 

will wrote:
I would totally agree with bearncub , i have been there and paid the price . If moderators deem it acceptable i would suggest e mailing Detullio law firm , Avv. Detullio has taken over my case which is ongoing (see thread Santa Venere/Le Marinate). I have found him to be very professional , dilligent and prompt . Bearncub , please tell me how your saga turned out ?

Hi Will,

Thanks for asking - we completed successfully 2 days before Xmas last year - what a roller coaster experience. Having said that, we now own a beautiful property in a fantastic little town.

I am also happy to confirm that Avv DeTullio wasn't the lawyer we used (or did he use us?) and I've not heard any negative comments from any source.

The interesting thing is though that having posed the question to the lawyers who look at and sometimes contribute to this forum (incl. DeTullio) not one of them has been brave enough to provide the answer of precisely what they do for their money.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 1st, 2012, 10:56 pm 

I used de Tullio and he was always prompt at replying to emails and professional.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012, 9:04 pm 

hard to beat g and l law

Report this post
PostPosted: November 4th, 2012, 2:18 pm 

u having laugh??

Report this post
PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 4:53 pm 

chequitout1 - it was November 1st when you posted your response not April 1st... even the mention of G&L on this site runs the risk of plenty of backlash from the hundreds of disgruntled individuals like myself who would not give him the seeds from my grapes, let alone any kind of recommendation or referral..

Report this post
PostPosted: November 5th, 2012, 9:38 pm 

but they get you there in the end.

Report this post