A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIAMBRONE & LAW
PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 6:33 pm 

It is my understanding that the hearing was a "directions hearing" which, as far I understand, sets rules about the main case.

It is also my understanding that no date has yet been set for the full hearing.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 12:22 pm 

THANKS .
I hope the date will be soon its going to long .

Report this post
PostPosted: July 14th, 2011, 1:26 pm 

Hi i need some help i stand to loose 30,000 plus euros due to giambronies complete incompetence anyone got a contact i can use to sort out this mess please ,,,,san rocco 2 was where i was purchasing ,,,

Report this post
PostPosted: July 14th, 2011, 2:48 pm 

Hi dave50
please try
Jolanda Ferrigno
VFL & Partners International Law Firm
Palazzo Cappelleri, Via Cappelleri s.n.c 89047
Roccella Jonica (RC) Italy
tel/ fax 0039 (0) 964 866895
tel 0039 (0) 064310562
mob 0039 329 4478642
jolanda@vfllawyers.co.uk
www.vfllawyers.co.uk

We went with Jolanda,
after many issues with you know who,

Also you will find many postings on this forum
recommending her,

Report this post
PostPosted: July 14th, 2011, 3:23 pm 

dave50 wrote:
Hi i need some help i stand to loose 30,000 plus euros due to giambronies complete incompetence anyone got a contact i can use to sort out this mess please ,,,,san rocco 2 was where i was purchasing ,,,

Hi sent you a pm please read
Regards
Happybunny

Report this post
PostPosted: July 15th, 2011, 11:06 am 

hi Dave

I,m really sorry to hear about your experience I know first hand what it feels like, if it helps I can recommend Jolanda without hesitation she managed to rescue our sale after a certain law firm gave us terrible service, without her help I'm sure we'd have been in a similar position. She has always been really helpful and always responds to e mails and messages promptly.

I do hope it works out well for you, all the best PhilC

Report this post
PostPosted: July 18th, 2011, 9:13 pm 

thank you ,i will drop her a line and see what can be done ,,

Report this post
PostPosted: November 7th, 2011, 5:46 pm 

im stillhere have had some trouble contacting jolanda,

Report this post
PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 6:19 pm 

According to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal website the "directions hearing" for Giambrone and his ex-Partners at Giambrone Law LLP is finally taking place tomorrow.

http://www.solicitorstribunal.org.uk/

It's on the SDT website. I can't be there but if anybody can attend please report back to the forum.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 15th, 2011, 11:37 am 

CalabriaBuyer wrote:
According to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal website the "directions hearing" for Giambrone and his ex-Partners at Giambrone Law LLP is finally taking place tomorrow.

It's on the SDT website. I can't be there but if anybody can attend please report back to the forum.

Just heard that the above has now been re-scheduled for 14:00 today

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 5:46 pm 

hi members,
any news?

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 11:14 pm 

we wait in h6ope

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 11:23 am 

I have logged in today after a long while and am sad to see people still suffering after getting involved with a particular firm of solicitors!!!!!! We suffered at the hands of this company and eventually got some compensation. But after having our deeds translated into english we discovered that they had paid our completion money to the developer about a month before completion took place!!!! Obviously putting our hard earned money at risk! At the time of our complaint we did not know this, but knew that other people had lost much more than us and we did get our apartment so we considered we had a lucky escape, by this time we were emotionally and financially exhausted but were happy that this company would get their just deserts, but here we are approx 3 years later and nothing has changed!!! and we have been waiting to hear that they have been punished for their wrong doing, WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR LEGAL SYSTEM.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 3:51 pm 

hi finally, im glad you were sorted,ithey done the same with me, and when i went to close i had no apartment ,i lost 30,000 e i have to get legal help, and fight to get my money back ,,,,,

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 4:44 pm 

dave50 wrote:
hi finally, im glad you were sorted,ithey done the same with me, and when i went to close i had no apartment ,i lost 30,000 e i have to get legal help, and fight to get my money back ,,,,,

Ideally, you should by now have contacted LCS & SRA and got them to give you a ruling. That way you would have received a considerable amount back from the Liability Insurers.
I understand current estimates to recover about 30k is 10-12k in fees. That is one hell of a gamble.

Good luck

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 9:32 pm 

london37 wrote:
CalabriaBuyer wrote:

Just heard that the above has now been re-scheduled for 14:00 today

Got the following message from those who attended the hearing.

At the above hearing Mr Giambrone did not attend, however his lawyer was there. The hearing was also attended by the representative of Edwin Coe, who are litigating against G&L on behalf of Jewel of the sea buyers. The full hearing has now been set for 15/07/2012, which is meant to last up to 6 days.

It is widely believed that success for the SRA against G&L on July 2012 will help those litigating against G&L.

Last edited by london37 on December 22nd, 2011, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 7:39 am 

I assume you mean 15/07/2012 and not 2011. What use are these self regulated bodies if it takes 3 years before the completion of any action. Yet another delay to those members and others who through no fault of their own have had their lives blighted by the alleged (added for legal reasons) failure of these persons. As usual the protection for clients is secondary to the interest of the members of legal profession which the cosy SRA represents. Until these bodies stop looking their mates and start truly represent the clients and issue punative damages it will always be the same. I would also ask why do such miscreants do not face the criminal justice system, or am I being too logical?

Barnpot

Report this post
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm 

Yes, it should be 15/07/2012 and not 2011. I have gone back and changed it to the correct date. Cheers.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 3:37 pm 

Moving on http://www.giambronelaw.com/costa_concordia_victims.php

Also whilst on his website I came accross a link to a highly positive article about Giambrone on the Giornale di Sicilia,
http://www.gds.it/gds/sezioni/cronache/ ... id/182300/
, with comments here

http://www.gds.it/gds/sezioni/cronache/ ... 00/#scrivi

"Laura" commented that she wished Italy was governed by people like him.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 5:17 pm 

OMG! HOW CAN WE STOP THE POOR VICTIMS OF THIS DISASTER GETTING INVOLVED WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN REPUTABLE LAWYERS!?!?!? HOW DO SOME PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT? I will post my opinion anywhere (carefully) if i knew where.I'm sure anyone on this web site would do the same.Remembering that the passangers were from many countries and if i were one of them i would be employing an American Lawyer.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 7:00 pm 

I think if you keep this topic active any one doing a search for reference has a good chance of finding it. If members only perhaps putting a note to the solicitors tribunal proceedings on the open forum will make it accessible? Copying some posts perhaps? But I suspect people will not research any sol they instruct.
I would instruct an American as well I think the cruise line is American? Interesting American ship flying ano flag in Italian waters. Yummy lots of fees there

Report this post
PostPosted: January 25th, 2012, 10:19 am 

Italian ship owned by an Italian company. The company is owned by an American corporation.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 12:40 am 

Hi all,

In July 2007, my two brothers and I jointly purchased a property in Isca Callabretta and at the time we were represented by Giambrone Law LLP. We presumed that we were well finished with this law firm but they have come back yet again to haunt us. We have now received a letter from Studio Legale Giambrone in Palermo (posted from the UK) and signed by Gabriele Giambrone advising that they are taking an action against Giambrone Law LLP (a UK firm) and us for recovery of funds. The scenario is as follows:

We paid both the initial deposit and the final 50% of the property costs to Giambrone Law LLP. Completion of the sale with the notary in July 2007 was handled by Studio Legale Giambrone (an Italian firm based in Palermo) who paid over the final 50% and also legal costs and notary costs. They now claim that Giambrone Law LLP have failed reimburse them for these costs (which in our case is over €90,000) and have requested us to pay them this amount by 3 February 2012. They claim they are doing this because, the underwriters (Chartis Insurance UK Ltd) of Giambrone Law LLP have been advised not to settle the claim directly with Studio Legale Giambrone. They also state that we will need an Italian lawyer to file a defence on our behalf and further recommend that we seek legal advice to advance a claim for professional negligence against Giambrone Law LLP. They state that we are not the only ones affected by this situation.

At this stage we are considering our next steps and I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this matter or if they are in the same boat.

Otherwise, I have to say that we are very happy with our property in Isca and have been visiting there 3 to 4 time a year.

Pat

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 12:44 am 

Sorr folks, there is a typo in my previous post. We completed in July 2009 not 2007.

Ciao!

Pat

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 8:42 am 

quinlanp wrote:
They now claim that Giambrone Law LLP have failed reimburse them for these costs (which in our case is over €90,000) and have requested us to pay them this amount by 3 February 2012. They claim they are doing this because, the underwriters (Chartis Insurance UK Ltd) of Giambrone Law LLP have been advised not to settle the claim directly with Studio Legale Giambrone.

Do I understand your post correctly in that you are being sued by Studio Legale Giambrone because you were a client of Giambrone Law and they did not fulfill their duties insofar as the money, allegedly, never went from the left pocket to the right pocket of Mr. Giambrone?

This is so outrageous that I don't know where to start. Can't the legal authorities SRA et al get a move on and shut this operation down?

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 9:47 am 

Go to a sols ASAP but I would say you instructed llp and they instructed as agents the Italian it is their responsibilty as they instructed agents not you. Did you even know it was a separate firm? take all letters emails with you to see sols

Strange that the agents paid money over when they did not have a transfer of moneyfrom their principal You do not do that if you are acting as agent for someone else.
Take independent legal advice do not rely on posts here!

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 9:49 am 

Quote:
We paid both the initial deposit and the final 50% of the property costs to Giambrone Law LLP. Completion of the sale with the notary in July 2007 was handled by Studio Legale Giambrone (an Italian firm based in Palermo) who paid over the final 50% and also legal costs and notary costs.

So you instructed one firm and that firm instructed another to handle the completion. I would have thought that you are not liable unless you agreed to the terms of the sub contract to Studio Legale and I am not surprised that the underwriter has refused to pay.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 12:45 pm 

quinlanp wrote:
Hi all,

We have now received a letter from Studio Legale Giambrone in Palermo (posted from the UK) and signed by Gabriele Giambrone advising that they are taking an action against Giambrone Law LLP (a UK firm) and us for recovery of funds.

Can you publish the letter or quote from it word for word?

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 1:01 pm 

Ionian wrote:
Go to a sols ASAP but I would say you instructed llp and they instructed as agents the Italian it is their responsibilty as they instructed agents not you. Did you even know it was a separate firm? take all letters emails with you to see sols

Strange that the agents paid money over when they did not have a transfer of moneyfrom their principal You do not do that if you are acting as agent for someone else.
Take independent legal advice do not rely on posts here!

If people relied on posts on here, they wouldn't have found themselves in this situation! Very many members warned people about the dangers of continuing to instruct this firm, particularly after the transfer of the files to Italy.

Judging from the quotes on the Lawyer (http://www.thelawyer.com/sra-investigat ... 36.article) I would say this is one for the SRA to deal with because from what has been written so far there appears to be grounds for a claim on the SRA Compensation Fund under section 3.1 which states:

The object of the Fund is to replace money which a defaulting practitioner or a defaulting practitioner's employee or manager has misappropriated or otherwise failed to account for. The applicant need not necessarily be or have been the defaulting practitioner's client.

Pat and any others affected could get in touch with the Legal Ombudsman to see whether they can help. They do have strict time limits but since the issues are only just arising they should take the case and help resolve the matter with the assistance of the SRA. It is a free service.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 1:19 pm 

DennisInCalabria wrote:
This is so outrageous that I don't know where to start. Can't the legal authorities SRA et al get a move on and shut this operation down?

Dennis.

The SRA extracted an express confirmation from Mr Giambrone that he would close his practices.

"The Committee noted Mr Giambrone’s express confirmation that all of his practices as an REL within England and Wales have been or are in the course of being closed. On this basis the Committee deferred consideration of whether it was necessary to effect an intervention and fully expect that to happen in accordance with his assurances"

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicit ... Decision-2

He didnt close them and Giambrone Law LLP were eventually wound up by HMRC.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... mbrone+law

No doubt the SRA will be kicking themselves for not effecting an intervention but these letters are coming from Mr Giambrone and "Studio Legale Giambrone" who operates under the jurisdiction of the Italian Bar Council in Palermo.

If anyone should be shutting this operation down, it is them!!

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 3:30 pm 

I said not to rely on posts on here but to get independent legal advice as I do not want to be sued for giving wrong advice!!!! the old adage, once bitten twice shy??? or nearly bitten.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 4:06 pm 

Well you are, or were a lawyer so you have to be particularly careful I suppose...

I prefer the old adage...fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 4:25 pm 

Hi Pat,

we have received an identical letter (we have sent you a pm also). Really baffled by it and just to respond to earlier posts, we instructed Giambrone Law way before any problems came to light and were actually completing as the other issues unfolded. At this stage we would just like to know who else has been affected by this and it is (slightly) reassuring to know we are not alone.
Thanks
Anthony

Report this post
PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 9:45 pm 

Yes, Dennis, put succintly, that's what it amounts to.

As I understand it, since neither Giambrone Law LLP nor their insurers have paid over the outstanding monies to Studio Legale Giambrone and have been advised not to do so, Studio Legale Giambrone are taking an action against Giambrone Law LLP, Chartis and ourselves for the recovery.

It is absolutely outrageous.

Pat

Report this post
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 1:37 am 

i am so sick of this crap, if i chase 30,000euros, how much will it cost? if i walk away these shits walk with my money , im at a complete loss to think straight ... sickened.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 15th, 2012, 10:33 pm 

The SRA have recently updated their website for the benefit of members of the public

Gabriele Giambrone
SRA ID: 407910
Most recent decision: Prosecution - 7 July 2009
(This individual has previously worked at: Giambrone Law)
(This individual has previously worked at: Giambrone Law LLP)

Alessandra Bellanca
SRA ID: 450789

Anna D'Arpa
SRA ID: 450790

The SRA have informed me that Giambrone & Law (ID 420602) started trading on 19th April 2005 and converted to an LLP in March 2008 (they commenced trading as an LLP in April 2008). Giambrone Law LLP (ID 485256) ceased trading on 5th April 2009. (The SRA ID for Giambrone Law LLP Manchester office is ID 497674)

Mr Giambrone opened his own account called Giambrone Law (ID 510787) on the 6th April 2009 and this was closed on 30th June 2009.

If you have received what you consider to be ridiculous or outrageous correspondence in relation to any of these firms and need any assistance or advice from the SRA you can contact their helpline on 0870 606 2555 in the first instance.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 9:16 pm 

Hi Lavender

I am so glad that you have returned to the forum with your excellent posts. They are always factual and you have a good inside track of what is happening at the SRA

Also posting my appreciation keeps this important topic high up in the "active posts"

Thanks - from a highly dissatisfied ex-Giambrone Law LLP client.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 6:38 pm 

have tried to contact the sra,, not having much look ,,,,

Report this post
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2012, 7:04 pm 

Hi Dave, I cant believe you still havent got your money back yet. Go and get yourself an English or Irish solicitor, tell them your story and put in a letter of claim to Giambrone's lawyers before you run out of time.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2012, 12:53 am 

hi lavender this is probley a stupid question, i trust noone ,have you any one you can recommend ??

Report this post
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 8:12 pm 

We have lost 50,000 euros dealing with these guys, criminals. El Caribe was never built, and their latest letter to us was to ask for money to represent us in getting "double the money" back.

JOKE

Does anybody have any advice? we are lost, and have little money.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 5:09 pm 

dave50 wrote:
hi lavender this is probley a stupid question, i trust noone ,have you any one you can recommend ??

As a first point of call I'd say go back to the lawyer you met in Ireland in 2008/9 and take with you the SRA decision re Gabriele Giambrone, he may be more willing now.

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicit ... 10.article

Report this post
PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 8:02 pm 

I know there has been some concerns raised by members on other forums as to whether they should pay invoices from they have received from the Giambrone Law ILP, particularly after they disinstructed the firm.

Here is a decision by the Legal Ombudsman which may assist those who have received invoices in deciding what action to take.

The Italian Job
Area of law: Residential conveyancing
Complaint reason(s): Failure to keep informed, failure to progress
Remedy: To pay £2,000 towards legal costs, waiver of fees, and refund of £950, cover the second firm's invoice and pay £1,000 compensation
Outcome: Ombudsman decision accepted by complainant

Mr M instructed the firm to buy a holiday home in Italy. He paid his deposit to the bank account given to him by the firm, but he never received a receipt. Two years later the firm tried to chase up the developers, as the completion date had been missed, but they were unable to get hold of them. Mr M began to get worried that he would lose out on both his money, and his Italian retreat.

Mr M feels that the firm gave him the incorrect details about paying his deposit, which is why the developers wouldn't reply. While we understood Mr M's concerns, we were unable to check whether the deposit had been paid correctly. However, we did feel that the firm could have provided more information to Mr M on this matter to try to lessen his worries. We also felt that the firm could have provided more regular updates to Mr M on the process of the build.

While Mr M's case was continuing, the firm transferred his file twice. The first time, he was informed that his file would be moving to Sicily. The second time, he was not informed the firm changed to become an Italian firm, regulated in Italy. We felt that the firm should have made Mr M aware of this change in their jurisdiction.

Following this change, the Italian firm sent Mr M an invoice, which he didn't think she should pay. We agreed and felt that because Mr M had no agreement with the Italian firm he should not be responsible for this bill.

We therefore decided that the firm should pay £2,000 towards Mr M's legal fees, which he incurred pursuing his complaint with the firm and with us. We decided the firm should compensate Mr M £750 for the distress and inconvenience caused. We also felt that the firm should cover the last invoice. Both parties accepted our decision, and the firm paid over Mr M's money.

http://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/decisi ... perty.html

Report this post
PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 1:35 pm 

Does anyone have any news of the prosecution of Giambrone & partners? Wasn't there to be a hearing this month (July 2012)?

Report this post
PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 1:43 pm 

Hi Gracie,

The substantive hearing is now set for 5th November but Giambrone has requested an adjournment to delay the inevitable.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 27th, 2012, 12:41 am 

Blimey!!!
Wish I had seen this forum earlier I have just completed with this firm on a property in Calabria and Rome.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 31st, 2012, 3:40 pm 

jillmac80, do not worry too much we used them as well but not for buying in a development.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2012, 4:11 pm 

As I understand it Ionian, its not just those that were buying in a development that have been affected. Just ensure Jillmac80 that all your paperwork is in order, dont throw anything away, put your deeds in safe storage at an English bank or in the care of your local solicitor, do not entrust these to Giambrone or any other Italian lawyer for that matter, ensure your property is properly registered at the Italian Land registry and keep all your VAT receipts for all transactions including the notary.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 20th, 2013, 11:38 pm 

SDT postponed until 22nd January - 10am

Report this post
PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 12:09 pm 

Any news on the SDT hering

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next