A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: GIAMBRONE & LAW
PostPosted: December 17th, 2008, 8:05 pm 

Hi There,

Firstly, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE :D

Now can anyone give me some advice please.....We completed the purchase of our apartment last January with G & L as our Soliciors. All the bills ie Notary fees, translator, builders fees including G & L's fees were all paid in total.

Then in September, We received a bill from Giambrone & Law for almost £1,000 sterling!!!!!! I don't know how they can do this as everything was paid on the day of completion.

We have not paid this money because we believe that it has already been paid. But recently we received another letter stating, that interest is now accruing on the £1,000.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so what can I do about it.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Joan

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: GIAMBRONE & LAW
PostPosted: December 17th, 2008, 8:52 pm 
I think you will have to speak to them,are you sure it is not one of there duplicate invoices that were previously floating about.when there computer apparently went haywire.

Report this post

PostPosted: December 17th, 2008, 9:58 pm 

write back to them quoting the invoice number you paid, the date you paid by cheque or credit card. send them copies of the invoice and credit card receipt you have, keeping the originals of course.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 1:16 am 

Yes it is the same invoice that we got in June 07. Thanks for the replies, I,ll get back to them tomorrow,

Report this post
PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 7:14 pm 

They sent us a bill for power of attorney for the mess up with our deeds. They have messed the POA up twice now but still want paying for their drafting I rang them today only to be fobbed off and told they are closed next week for Christmas when I threatened to visit the Vibo office.

So far as I know we still have the wrong deeds on year on from completion.

Chris & Jan

Report this post
PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 10:02 pm 

Common thread here I also suffered from an invoice that they agreed i had paid. Still had to prove that they had agreed it was paid later on as well.
Am concerned about having them with POA when we complete in May ish.
We are definatly going to be there on completion and I think will also get an independant interpreter to attend.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 19th, 2008, 12:56 am 

We also have issues with G&L regarding fees. We paid all fees that we were invoiced for before completion in October and returned home to find an invoice for a further 1300 Euro (approx) for additional Notary fees. We queried this and asked for a breakdown of Notary fees - never received. Further invoice for this amount received - again asked for a breakdown - no response. Two days ago we received a phone call from G&L advising that the Notary will be taking legal action against use for non payment of the invoice. Told them that we are still waiting for a breakdown - will only pay when this is received.

In the meantime have received another invoice for Power of Attorney fees - we arranged this is in the UK but G&L messed up on the paperwork and we completed in person anyway. So now have a dispute about this going on as well.

Any suggestions on how this firm of solicitors can be effectively challenged for the way that they conduct their business?

Marion

Report this post
PostPosted: December 19th, 2008, 8:46 am 

cowboys.. chancers.. cowboys.. chancers..

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2008, 8:45 am 

Would love to hear if anybody has a answer to Marions query?? G. & L are very slip shod in the way the conduct their business
Joan
Marion wrote:
We also have issues with G&L regarding fees. We paid all fees that we were invoiced for before completion in October and returned home to find an invoice for a further 1300 Euro (approx) for additional Notary fees. We queried this and asked for a breakdown of Notary fees - never received. Further invoice for this amount received - again asked for a breakdown - no response. Two days ago we received a phone call from G&L advising that the Notary will be taking legal action against use for non payment of the invoice. Told them that we are still waiting for a breakdown - will only pay when this is received.

In the meantime have received another invoice for Power of Attorney fees - we arranged this is in the UK but G&L messed up on the paperwork and we completed in person anyway. So now have a dispute about this going on as well.

Any suggestions on how this firm of solicitors can be effectively challenged for the way that they conduct their business?

Marion

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2008, 8:49 am 

We used an interpreter who was recommended by the Italian Connection, Cassie was her name. Her fee was 500 euro. If you want I can give her number to you.
Joan
Allen C wrote:
Common thread here I also suffered from an invoice that they agreed i had paid. Still had to prove that they had agreed it was paid later on as well.
Am concerned about having them with POA when we complete in May ish.
We are definatly going to be there on completion and I think will also get an independant interpreter to attend.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2008, 8:59 am 

Don't expect any further action from G&L this side of the new year. I threatened to visit their Vibo office while out in Calabria next week and they took delight in telling me they would be closed then for Christmas

Chris & Jan

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2008, 12:13 pm 

unfotunately for me i decided to use the same company for my purchase in monastrace and i im trying still to get a bank guarantee or even a reply from them , i think when you pay their fee that is the end of any service from them and i have been two years now dealing with them also i got duplicate invoices as well .. nightmare is how i would describe having to deal with them,,,

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2008, 5:15 pm 

Hi All,

Can't believe that so many other people have had the same sort of problems as me.

Eventually I dis-instructed them (wouldn't recommend this for everyone as I have paid a lot more for it) as I didn't believe that they were representing my best interests.

I then went to the Legal Complaints Service and lodged a formal complaint based on a dreadful lack of service.

If it's just about an invoice I'd wait for them to force the issue, anything else and the LCS might be an idea.

Good Luck

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2008, 5:53 pm 

What are you guys on about. The interpretation and interpreter were included in my very reasonable legal fees. [ Local lawyer] You guys are getting shafted.
Grumpy

Report this post
PostPosted: December 20th, 2008, 5:56 pm 

Hi Joan
Thanks for info re Cassie. Is this the same Cassie who runs the aftercare service for IC? Her tele no would be appreciated.
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2008, 3:25 am 

hey gumpy,
why dont you share your very reasonable solicitors name with us poor plbebbs instead of slaggin us off???????????????? :evil:
Grumpy Irishman wrote:
What are you guys on about. The interpretation and interpreter were included in my very reasonable legal fees. [ Local lawyer] You guys are getting shafted.
Grumpy

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2008, 3:40 pm 

Haven't checked my posts but I thought I did early in the year. Anyway he is Avv. Achille Consarino in Catanzaro. I found him to be very thorough. Speaks some English with an interpreter on his staff. Local firm 3rd generation lawyers. We agreed ballpark fees at the start. My transactions in Calabria have been trouble free.
I travelled independently and steered away from the big developers /smooth operators. Someone has to pay for all that tv time. My first deal was with Dennis here at Incalabria. Most satisfactory. Lovely property. The next was with an Italian builder in Cropani Marina. I am the only Straneiro in the development which is frontline. These people speak no English and have no agent so the negotiations were interesting. Both deals are now complete.
BUT you MUST get out there and take care of business. [no pain no gain]. You would not leave the purchase of a house to someone else in your own country.
Studio Legale Consarino,
studioconsarino@tiscalinet.it
He has always replied to every e-mail / query promptly.
Merry xmas to all
Grumpy.

ps. What I find satisfactory and what someone else would consider satisfactory may differ. !!

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2008, 5:21 pm 

Thanks for the information Grumpy, Have a lovely Christmas and a Happy new year
Joan
Grumpy Irishman wrote:
Haven't checked my posts but I thought I did early in the year. Anyway he is Avv. Achille Consarino in Catanzaro. I found him to be very thorough. Speaks some English with an interpreter on his staff. Local firm 3rd generation lawyers. We agreed ballpark fees at the start. My transactions in Calabria have been trouble free.
I travelled independently and steered away from the big developers /smooth operators. Someone has to pay for all that tv time. My first deal was with Dennis here at Incalabria. Most satisfactory. Lovely property. The next was with an Italian builder in Cropani Marina. I am the only Straneiro in the development which is frontline. These people speak no English and have no agent so the negotiations were interesting. Both deals are now complete.
BUT you MUST get out there and take care of business. [no pain no gain]. You would not leave the purchase of a house to someone else in your own country.
Studio Legale Consarino,
studioconsarino@tiscalinet.it
He has always replied to every e-mail / query promptly.
Merry xmas to all
Grumpy.

ps. What I find satisfactory and what someone else would consider satisfactory may differ. !!

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2008, 7:49 pm 

Anyone looking for a reasonable solicitor who not only phones, emails in reply to any query but goes out of his way to meet clients is:

Roberto Viscomi. He is Calabrian.

robertoviscomi@studioviscomi.com

He speaks fluent English so no need to pay for an interpreteter. I have mentioned him before on the forum but this is for any new members.

The fee is agreed up front and when I compare what he is doing for us to a Scottish solicitor that I had to engage recently there is no comparison. I had to pay for every phone call, email etc made on my behalf and the result was astronomical compared to what Roberto charges.

Dostenk recommended him to me originally so you can't get better.

mags

Report this post
PostPosted: December 21st, 2008, 8:18 pm 

investor500 wrote:
are you sure it is not one of there duplicate invoices

I have had three invoices from Giambrone Law in total.

You must ensure that if you have received more than one invoice and it is not a duplicate, that you get a credit note or technically you would still owe them this money.

You can request a ledger sheet from them directly which will show all transactions on your account. If they do not provide this, the LCS helpline offer a free service whereby they will ring the firm and request one for you.
The number to call is 0845 608 6565

They also publish a booklet called "Can we help" which you can also request via the helpline.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 8:31 pm 

Interesting thread on

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... p=58145070

Hello,

We live in Belgium and we've also invested in Borgo Novo. We have received numerous e-mails from VFI answering to our questions. You can see the latest response below, but first I would like to ask if anyone has been in contact with Giambrone the past few days, because they do not answer to any of our mails...

Here is the latest response from VFI:

"
I am here to confirm that yes Azzurra SRL is the developer-builder of Borgo Novo. The builder is at present preparing the confirmation where he prefers and recommends that you pay your second deposit to VFI and as soon as we receive this confirmation I will send it to you.

The reasons that have led VFI and the builders-developers to make such requests are based on problems that have since come to light with regards to Giambrone and Law. We have had many complaints from clients with regards to Giambrone’s services and many errors with contracts being delayed and errors in the contracts have caused cancellations to make things worse there has been a delay in payments made and this puts your property at risk.

Giambrone is delaying the transferring of funds to VFI and the builders, and this unfortunately is delaying the process. Not only this, the 10% Vat requested at this time is yet another error in the contract . This payment of Vat should have been stated in the contract. It is requested by Italian Law, the first stage payment is called in Italy a “ Caparra Confirmatoria” which is not subject to Vat but the second stage payment is subject to Vat . Of course you can get this confirmed by any impartial Italian Lawyer or Accountant .

We surely do appreciate your concerns especially during these times of financial turmoil , that is why VFI wants to safe guard every client and assure that their deposits are allocated properly and efficiently without all the delays we have been experiencing.

Please feel free to contact me at any time, and rest assure that I will email this confirmation signed by the builder."

We don't know who to believe or who to trust in this matter...

As I've read above most of you are planning to transfer the deposit to Giambrone, but what if they don't reply and therefore cannot confirm that they will send the money on in time?

And one final quesion: if anyone has sought external, objective councelling, could he or she please tell us what his opinion on this matter is?

Thank you very much!

Report this post
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 12:13 am 

Hi Guys
So many questions and so many pitfalls. I printed and am reading for the third time a document in English published by "Consiglio Nazional del Notariato" on their web site. www.notariato.it/portal/site/notariatoEng/menuitem.
It is worth printing a copy and reading in detail. It will answer lots of questions and if only we had this advice to start with a lot of anxious moments would have been allevated.
ie. IVA tax is paid to the vendor with the final payment. Max legal cash payment is Euro12,500. The doc explains alternative methods.
It is also very specific about Bank Guarantee cover and covers the specific laws and dates of implementation.
The doc is 16 pages long and very well written. Enjoy.
Allen C

Report this post
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 11:01 am 

i can't see the document
what is the title?
thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 11:14 am 

Hi User13,

On the home page, if you click on the heading 'Citizens' this will give you lots of info about buying in Italy.

Ralph

Report this post
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 11:31 am 

Thank you for this, even though we have completed it will make good reading to check if all was complied with.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 11:37 am 

HI
Sorry Tuffareo and Thanks Ralphus,, yep it's the one under Citizens
Allen C

Report this post
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 11:39 am 

User13
Hope you have found it Ok
Allen C

Report this post
PostPosted: January 20th, 2009, 6:25 pm 

yes thanks, very useful

Report this post
PostPosted: February 4th, 2009, 8:45 pm 

Hi all
Had a meeting with them on 27th and 29th Jan. Was informed by the two remaining lawyers that they were leaving this week. I decided to part company with them and sent an e-mail to Vibo Office that demanded hand over of all original docs required to complete. By return of mail today I received an e-mail confirming that they would comply.
The letter also stated that my file was due to be returned to London and so they gave me the alternative of receiving my file here at home or having it handed over to a new lawyer either in Italy or back in London.
There was an attached Document to sign to officiate the deal (Revoca Mandato) This contained a clause "I also undertake to settle any outstanding professional fees payable to Giambrone Law within seven days from signing of this letter" so I sent an e-mail to request by return confirmation that I owed no outstanding fees, Received this within 3 hours and signed off the document and posted it registered mail to Vibo.
This operation has, so far, been the best and most efficient G&L have ever been.
Allen C

Report this post
PostPosted: February 4th, 2009, 10:23 pm 

:( Does this mean the Vibo office is closing and business is being transferred back to London? Some of us are owed not inconsiderable sums of money by them and are having difficulty in getting it back. Are the staff in Vibo going to London? Who do we communicate with (if that's the right expression!) now? Very useful, if worrying, information, and any further details welcome! Thanks Allen! :?

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2009, 12:12 am 

I had a meeting with G & L at the Vibo office on the 23rd of Jan. There was no mention of them leaving ! I hand delivered my POA documentation to them. Does this mean that there won't be anyone there when it comes to completion ?
Oh what a fine mess. It just gets worse !

Dreamer.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2009, 2:07 pm 

Hi Guys
Did'nt mean to stir up a hornets nest or cause excess worry.
The situation is that if I wished they would send my file to Italian lawyers in London office as an option. I have chosen not to do this but to have my file sent to me and then I can check it and send it to new lawyers.
The news about the remaining two lawyers leaving the Vibo office was from them personally, I do not know if there are replacements due in.
Please don't take this as meaning the Vibo office is definately closing, I suggest you e-mail them and ask for information on future plans.
I must say that G&L have moved fast on the matter of my dis-instructing them and are cooperating in a professional manner in this case.
I really hope this cab allay excess worrie that I have inadvertently caused and that everything works out OK for you all
Take Care
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2009, 2:13 pm 

Hi Allen C,

I'm in a similar position to yourself and looking to de-instruct G&L. Did you
just take a hit for the money already paid to G&L or are you getting reimbursed?

It's just that if you have paid upfront then they are contractually obliged to take you to completion. So for me less work = less money... ?

Paul

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2009, 2:27 pm 

Hi paul
Since I was on a low fixed price contract with them I have, for my own peace of mind taken the hit of paying a new lawyer. Since it was a low cost fixed price (at the time I got euro1.45/£) I am not trying to recover any costs as most of the work has been done.
Theoretically as the Notary is responsible for the final contract I could go to completion myself without a Lawyer.
The dis-instruction process with G&L has so far been professional and well handled.
Hope everything goes well for you.
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2009, 2:49 pm 

Good luck with getting a reply from emails to them - we've been trying for weeks, and still had nothing back!!!
Dijo

Report this post
PostPosted: February 5th, 2009, 7:25 pm 

They should be getting more efficient and faster at the disinstruction process as they are getting enough practise at it these days. This should help us all establish a pattern of behaviour for all our LCS complaints.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 6th, 2009, 8:38 pm 

:D Thanks for the reassuring reply, Allen! It's rather odd that they seem to be prompt when it comes to losing customers but remiss in even replying to continuing ones! I cannot get a reply - even a "holding" one - to e-mails, and they always seem to be otherwise engaged or "on the other line" (to whom??) when telephoned. Will just have to soldier on. In the end it might mean going on my first "demo" clutching a banner! :lol:

Report this post
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 5:19 pm 

Hi nduja
I have pm'd you with some info that might help.
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 9:41 pm 

It seems an organization such as G&L, who complete these transactions day in, day out, know exacty the total costs of the purchase process. This should be quoted, and clarified to the purchaser right from the beginning. If not, then ask for it and get it in writing, even if it's just a note on a piece of letterhead. Keep requesting an update on costs, any changes along the way, e.g. POA.

Although I used the services of a local Italian lawyer, (whose name was given by the seller), I got him to stated and right down, right from the beginning, what the costs would be. He also explained the fees, and that he had worked on this project before, therefore, some of the items he was already familiar with, so would not be passed along as additional cost to me. All the way, he gave an update of the costs. (He might not have been in touch as often as I would have liked - but I'm in Canada) Fortunately, I got a discount on the Notaio fees, from what was originally quoted.

The point is that the legal firms, can tell you what costs are in total, based on the cost of your purchase and I pays to keep reminding them of that fact. If we know nought else about Italian law, atleast we can know what we can expect to pay at completion.

I was, initially, apprehensive in dealing with lawyers whose first language is not English or whose English is not fluent. This G&L Co. speak our language, don't they? Many have done business with them because for that reason and that many others have used them, I would imagine. Still, there are communication issues and billing issues.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 4:30 am 

Hi Trigger!
It's not quite as easy as that! Having paid all the remaining purchase and other costs asked for (some of which are perhaps inevitably estimates) six months BEFORE completion you discover another six monthe AFTER completion that you have overpaid several thousands of euros, as some charges have been made in error (mainly IVA). Another four months after this you are still waiting for a refund. E-mails are not answered and phone calls are fruitless. Even a personal visit produces no response. What is to be done? I have to laugh inwardly when I see the adverts at Lamezia airport!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 10:37 am 

nduja wrote:
What is to be done?

Hi Nduja, the only thing that you can do is complain to the Legal Complaints Service and they will get the answers for you and a refund of any sums due and you will almost certainly get compensation for your time and trouble.

www.legalcomplaints.org.uk for information.

If I had had a magic marker with me at my last visit to Lamezia airport I would have risked arrest and doctored the poster with a conveniently place "F" :lol: :lol:

Maybe next time!!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 2:06 pm 

Has anyone had any luck recently speaking to this law firm? I am also finding them impossible to communicate with - e-mails are unanswered, phone calls not returned. The Legal Complaints Service advise writing to them, labelling the letter as a "COMPLAINT" and then giving them 28 days to reply, so I guess this is the next step....

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 4:13 pm 

Gracie

I think they have been installing a new system and therefore e mails are not going through - the best one to try is vibo@------etc

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 6:17 pm 

italyitaly wrote:

I think they have been installing a new system and therefore e mails are not going through

My lawyer confirmed after AllenC's post that the last two lawyers had left the Vibo office, Anna Napoli was one, can't remember the others name. They were being referred to Giambrone Law's office in Sicily but could not find anyone to speak to. They could not get the name of any lawyers from the London office.

Iain Buchan has been re-employed as the practice manager in London and you should write to him on iain.buchan@giambronelaw.co.uk if you cannot get any answers and mark your letter "complaint" as he is the person in charge of complaints.

You should list your complaints/questions and ask him to inform you of the name of the lawyer working on your case (they have a professional obligation to inform you of who is dealing with your file).

If you do not get a satisfactory reply after 28 days you can file a complaint with the Legal Complaints Service.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 6:53 pm 

Hi
The other lawyers name is Luigi Tilotta. I met them both on their last week there and they were very helpfull and frank.
Allen C

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 7:23 pm 

nduja wrote:
Hi Trigger!
It's not quite as easy as that! Having paid all the remaining purchase and other costs asked for (some of which are perhaps inevitably estimates) six months BEFORE completion you discover another six monthe AFTER completion that you have overpaid several thousands of euros, as some charges have been made in error (mainly IVA). Another four months after this you are still waiting for a refund. E-mails are not answered and phone calls are fruitless. Even a personal visit produces no response. What is to be done? I have to laugh inwardly when I see the adverts at Lamezia airport!

Not sure where I mentioned that anything was easy, except the bit about my own experience and the fact they they DO know what the legal costs are going to be, if you are actually getting what you actually agreed to purchase. Maybe I was just lucky that I paid around what was quoted right from the get-go. Anyhow, I only wish you every success after all the aggravation. The worse thing is when no one answers your questions.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 8:49 pm 

Hi all,
I got to speak to Iain Buchan today and he seemed quite helpful.
I got him on 0039 0917434778.
Still not convinced that G and L are worth sticking with and am seeking advice elsewhere.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 9:03 pm 

Hi, Gracie.
I was told by G&L to address my complaint to the senior partner himself.
Dijo

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 10:39 pm 

Hi Heather,

I have changed to Max Gold (International Law Practise) and I think on one of the threads here they have offered a free consultation. Give them a go especially as it won't cost anything.

Contact there is a fellow called Michele Menato. Before anyone asks I am only referring them as they seem to be doing a god job for me. No Fee involved, unfortunately. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Report this post
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Dave and others,

For what it's worth, and on an entirely personal basis, we too used Michele Menato at the Max Gold Partnership. We found him to be very thorough, transparent and professional throughout. Having had my finger's burnt with a solicitor regarding a purchase in Morocco, this company was a breath of fresh air.

Regards Sam

PS I am not on any commission either! :roll:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next