A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

To contribute to the News section add a post below.

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 6:34 pm 

Calabria News

Header: 

See below for the video where Paul Clare interviews Paolo Zagami of Zagami Law in Rome.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 2:00 pm 

property not decreases in value in Italy, errr really.... the only country in Europe, imo no.
How long been practising, does not give a time. No real info on how the process of how the purchase of a property is different in Italy. That would have been a help to someone thinking of buying. Does say it is different system at the end but other than a commercial not a lot of good. Sorry.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 10:10 pm 

In the past, I have invited Paolo and any other Italian Lawyer to explain exactly what functions they perform during the purchase process - despite a promise from Paolo's assistant, neither he or anyone else has been prepared to go into detail. I also challenged Paolo on his advice regarding the need for an Italian will with the same result.

I don't have an issue with Paolo as he is not alone in failing to respond, although I have experienced his bold claims that are subsequently shown to be hot air. Until I receive some credible answers, I remain unconvinced by this bland self-promotion.

PostPosted: June 4th, 2014, 5:55 pm 

it was a self promotion, obvious, you never do something like this without the idea of getting clients and your name known. It is commom practice and sensible to have a will done, especially if you are buying property. Italian inheritance law is different to UK so I would have advised my clients to have one done. saying that we have not had one done as it all goes to our son anyway, sssh don't tell him,

PostPosted: June 6th, 2014, 11:59 am 

I guess the point I was trying to make is that in all the fluff there is little substance. I work in sales myself so 100% believe in effective marketing promotions.

I've seen this video before and not recently, therefore some of the information may be outdated and/or misleading.

This is my biggest gripe - amongst all the flannel, Italian Lawyers seem incapable of giving factual answers - we spent a lot of money on a Lawyer during our purchase and to this day, I still can't explain what value he actually added to the process.

Subsequently, I've posed the very question to any Lawyer (Paolo included) to provide a detailed response so that others will perhaps be better informed than I when they come to buy. Not one of them has responded - perhaps money and old rope feature somewhere in the answer.

I sleep peacefully at night knowing my UK will more than adequately covers my Italian assetts. My issue on this subject is that Paolo and others often give the strong impression you need an Italian will - not so.

All I wish for is some straight forward advice that our forum members can rely upon as being unequivocal.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2014, 6:17 pm 

Some straight forward advice follows. Everyone, and I mean everyone, needs to make a Will. It does not matter if you do not own property, have money, investments, it makes it so much easier for those left behind. You can set out where and how you want to be buried, or cremated, scattered etc., and if you want to leave everything to the cats home you can, but only if you have a Will. Or you could leave it to me. It does not have to cost a lot you can get a will making kit in Smiths or other stationers. All you need are two executors, who do can receive stuff under the terms of the will, the witnesses, cannot benefit under the terms of the Will. So if Auntie asks you to witness the will you are not in it!
One other thing, avoid appointing a professionsal or banker as an executor that can cost a lot of money to the estate, and if employing a solicitor after the death get quotes as to how much it will cost to adminster the estate/will. I had that trouble after my mums death, wanted a flat fee and a percentage, brother and I soon left the offices. got it done very well for less than the flat fee quoted.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2014, 8:54 pm 

.....i will just be leaving a pile of debt!!!! lol

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 10:27 am 

Good advice Ionian but I must admit Tony's approach sounds more fun!

PostPosted: June 10th, 2014, 2:49 pm 

Yes, sounds fun, but still make a Will, and leave any money to me,.....

PostPosted: October 21st, 2014, 9:33 am 

Dear Ionian and dear Bearandclub,

Sorry for my late answer but I have just seen your feedbacks.

Anyway I’m pleased to answer now all your questions. First of all please note the video and time at my disposal was very short so I did not have enough space to say and explain all the details on how to buy a property in Italy. Then even it could be a self promotion I do not understand where the problem is…I mean Mr Paul Clare invited me to record a couple of episodes for his channel and I was very pleased to do it without being paid!

Given that:

- actually I’m sorry to confirm that properties are decreasing in value in Italy even the next years the situations will be much better. In this regard you can find many information on the web and for example here: http://www.propertywire.com/news/europe ... 48824.html

- I practice from more than 10 years in Italy and from 2 years in UK. You can get all the information about my person if you just give a look to the website http://www.zagamilaw.com

- I do not remember anyone who has invited me to talk about the purchase process or how to make a will...I’m used to talk in many public conferences FOR FREE and of course I would be available to meet you and anyone else FOR FREE to go into the details. In any case once again you can get many information about what above mentioned in the section “opinions” at zagamilaw dot com

Hope to hear from you soon and in the meantime I send you my best greetings.

Paolo Zagami