A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

To contribute to the News section add a post below.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 5:46 pm 

Calabria News

InCalabria is one of the leading Calabrian property companies today, and whilst sourcing the best properties at the best value is our core business, our service does not end there. We have built a large network of associated professionals and together we cover most angles of becoming and remaining a happy property owner in Calabria. As for rentals, this is not a core activity of our company. We like to do a few things very well, and for rentals we have always thought that we do not add a lot of value. That does, of course, not mean we don't know how to let an apartment (we do), where to advertise it and how much to charge.

So let't get down to it.

How to let a property

If your property is part of a condominium the preferred avenue for management of things local would be the condominium management. They already work for you, probably there is an administrator, a cleaner, a gardener,etc, all people who are on site, know the place and have an interest to ensure things run smoothly and enforce the condominium rules.

The local management of the property consists, essentially, of key management and cleaning. If the administrator can manage the keys to your apartment at a set price per year or per rental and send a cleaner after your clients have left you are halfway there. If the administrator is not interested you may want to change administrator - easily done if there are several homeowners that want to let their property.

A normal agreement would be to pay a fee for each "check-in", for example €20 and €20 more payable by the tennant if they come after working hours. The tenants also normally pay the final cleaning (€40) and laundry costs (€10 pp) locally to the administrator.

Where to advertise your property

All InCalabria clients and our registered forum users (currently over 2500 registered users), can advertise for free on our Calabria Rental website (rentcalabriaproperty.com). Home owners upload content, photos and manage their bookings- all for free. It has proved very useful to an owner to have a free site where you can collate all the important information on your property and be able to send this to interested parties, as you may not use other paid-for portals for ever but are likely to change according to which one is performing the best, leading to a lot of moving of information.

One thing the paid for portals do very well, of course, is to attract a large audience for your property. Ensure you list your property with only stunning pictures, comprehensive description (you are the best person to "sell" your property!) and competitive prices, particularly during the first years.

Successful sites are:

(Have I missed an important site? Let me know, I'll be happy to add it to this list.)

Important markets are all those markets that can reach Calabria with a single (low cost) flight, see our overview of flights to Calabria. In July and August Calabria is very popular with northern Italians, so do advertise in Italy in Italian!

How much to charge

Have a good look around on what's on offer in your area, and position yourself slightly lower. Once you have built up a number of satisfied clients, good reviews and testimonials, perhaps some returning clients you can try upping the price a bit every year.

Things to keep in mind are the unique selling points and features of your property and set the price accordingly:

1. Location (near sea, sea views, countryside, towncentre). Distance to airport, beach, bars, restaurants etc.

2. Property features (number of bedrooms, bathrooms, air conditioning, internet access, tv etc)

3. Development features (pool, bar, restaurants, etc)

Generally speaking, for an attractive property in a location with nice views, pool and reasonable accessibility the average price should be around €500 per week totalling €10.000 gross income in a 20 week season. Said property could be priced up to €900 per week during the peak (middle of august) and down to €350-€400 in April and October, except school holidays.

For our clients on the west coast of Calabria we made a report with rental prices in the area, based on 2008 data.

I will be happy to read your rental experience, opinions and tips on our InCalabria Forum as well as answer any questions.

Dennis Onstenk
InCalabria.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 11:09 pm 

modern 1 bed apartment in Marina Di Caulonia small complex with pool to let, 300 euros per month November 2013 to November 2014

PostPosted: November 14th, 2013, 10:42 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Dennis,
To update your March 2012 posting which I have just read there are a couple of other holiday home websites worth considering.
ownersdirect.co.uk which you pay annually and it is linked to HomeAway.
HolidayLettings.co.uk which you can pay annually or free for 3% of your rental and they are linked with Trip Advisor
Homelidays.co.uk is no longer valid and you have to use homelidays.it
davidnam

Post subject: fees
PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 4:43 pm 

hi everyone... we have today received a bill from our condominium for fees relating to our sewage treatment plant.the bill has been backdated for four years. my share amoubts to over 500euro.
i wonder is this a normal course of events. some feedback would be appreciated thanks tony mccready

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2013, 2:57 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Administrators
Why do we allow this non Italian / Calabrian postings on this Forum.
davidnam

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 8:41 pm 

Hi David,

sometimes there are waves of spam on the forum and me and the moderates struggle to keep up.

It's really hard to stop as nowadays it is not automated scripts anymore but real people being paid pennies per posted link - but worth it in some countries.

Dennis.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2013, 10:23 am 

Wish I had a penny for every one I have deleted. How about it Dennis!!!
A wide variety. Do not follow any links. Very nasty things can happen to your computer

PostPosted: November 26th, 2013, 10:42 am 

Just did ano one since the above post. Involving girls desert islands I believe.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2013, 11:18 am 

Ano 3. Am now leaving house. Over to someone else

PostPosted: November 26th, 2013, 4:38 pm 

12. To delete at 3.38 uk time