A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 9:07 pm 

Hi All.

Could anyone advise us on the availability in Pizzo of what we call in the UK a ceiling rose with pendant?
Where can we source these and are they readily available?
We can't buy in UK as they are all bayonet fittings.

We are also bringing over a washing machine and fridge from the UK, which we assume will work OK running 220v, but obviously we need to change the plugs.

The socket in the bathroom looks like a "Schuko" type which will be for the washing machine. Can any one confirm this?(Naturally you have not seen the socket in our bathroom(!), but would this be the norm?)

The socket where the fridge will go looks like a standard Italian 3-pin rectangular socket, therefore will need a standard 3-pin Italian plug, we assume?

Has anyone had any experience of replacing plugs/flexes? Is it as simple as we think?

Thanks in advance.
Mr. Smiley

Report this post
PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 10:29 pm 

Hi Smiley. I found cheap fitments for ceiling lights in Brico's. Am on east coast so not sure where they are on west coast. It is a simple straight connection to the wire with choc blocks and the "Rose" pushes up the cable to lock against the ceiling. Alternative is to take uk roses with you and change the fittings to take screw bulbs. As far as UK white goods go simply change the plugs to match the sockets in your place. Still not sure if uk tele's work in Italy, we bought ours in Italy. Warning. The Italian three pin plugs come in two pin sizes, for some unknown reason, so make sure you buy the right size to match the plugs in your place. Again Brico's carry a good range of plugs and adaptors. I had no problem sorting out my Apt when we moved in,
Enjoy your time in Calabria, we love the place.
Allen

Report this post
PostPosted: January 25th, 2012, 10:15 am 

"Still not sure if uk tele's work in Italy"

Italian TV analogue broadcasts use a slightly different variant of PAL but most people won't be looking for analogue reception I suspect. For digital, DVD, satellite etc the there is no difference in the way they treat signals from SCART, HDMI or component video cables. Composite should be OK as well as the audio is carried separately.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 26th, 2012, 12:27 am 

There's a Brico in Pizzo

Report this post
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 8:34 pm 

Don't understand PAL etc but has anyone found out if TV bought in UK will work in Calabria?mags

Report this post
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 7:54 am 

We took all of our TV's over to Italy from the UK and they work perfectly, just need to change the plugs!!

We had to buy a satellite dish to get italian channels and a few english speaking channels (mainly news), but we use mainly for DVD's.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 4th, 2012, 9:34 am 

Thank you sunseeker
We'll need to get a sky dish probably as when we move over permamently Paul will want sky sports. I believe that you can watch football in English with a sky dish.
I would be quite happy if I never had to watch any football but my other half is " fitba crazy "
Meanwhile, like you, when we are over on holiday it will be used for DVD's mainly.
Thanks again mags

Report this post
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 7:54 pm 

Lights:~ we took our own lights and bulbs (even better when the 'leccy companies were subsidising bulbs to buy at 10p each from places like Asda - bought loads!). Their low energy are 'silly money' by comparison. I've even installed some UK mains sockets ~ you can still be semi-English in Italy..... It doesn't hurt!

TV etc..... I am going to install "Tooway". Look at http://www.woden.co.uk and then at the Tooway link. It is satellite Internet, and you can also have a second LNB (OK, thingy in the dish!) to pick up UK freeview! The Tooway service re-broadcasts full UK Freeview from their satellite, and this isn't part of your internet quota. For installation I have found that one of the 'Woden' people (Francis) has his own place in Scalea (OK, for most of you this is 80 miles north of Lamezia on the SS18) and can organise the installation ~ and his home is on the Wirral which is also near me in the UK. (About £25/month for always-on internet)

...and unless you think it is a step too far.... You can have a VoIP phone service on your internet which basically gives you (as good as) 1p per minute UK landline calls and about 8p/min UK mobile calls..... from Italy! (Yes, you can have a normal-looking UK phone number).
<Sorry if that's a step too far, but being 'tecchie' can save you money!>

Report this post
PostPosted: May 16th, 2012, 11:46 am 

Des, the satellite Internet and freeview seem brilliant, thanks for sharing this useful information. Have you got this working and does it work as well as advertised?

Have you got an idea on how this may work for a development or a group of apartment owners?

Dennis.

Report this post