A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grass
PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 8:17 pm 

The green stuff that is!
We will be getting our garden sorted soon and apart from all the lovely herbs, tomatoes and fruit trees that we can plant just wondered what are your thoughts on grass.
I would lay any spare with hard stuff paving etc as I have heard that grass attracts mossies. Also would need a lawnmower as we have a big plot of land to fill.
Main concern though are the mossies. They love me, if I miss a wee bit of skin when sparaying they find it and bite me and in the past the bites have turned septic.
mags

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Grass
PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 8:20 pm 

ps Don't know how this ended up on WEST Coast still not mastered the system after nearly 4 years!!
Maybe things are different on East Coast where we have bought.
Seriously maybe the mossie problem is worse or not so bad depending on where you are
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 9:41 pm 

I think grass as per the uk lawn wld need a lot of up keep. Have a look at restuarants etc and see what they do. I would design as gravel / lawn and decide next year! a good watering system is needed
Mossies, a friend had a dream of sitting under her arbour with vines above her head she got bitten to bbbb at a house she stayed on so did not do that at her house
Keep plants like that away from house and no standing water. Lay eggs in it and attracts insects to drink.
There is a good place for fruit trees near caulonia will ask husband for directions. Does not look very commercial but healthy plants

Report this post
PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 11:06 am 

Indeed a nice English lawn is an expensive feature in southern Italy. You need a good irrigation system and the right kind of grass with deep roots that can survive the arid summers. If I remember right there is an Egyptian grass that does quite well, I will check and report back. If you encounter major problems, try some Dutch grass to calm you down ;-).

Report this post
PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 3:29 pm 

What about artificial grass? Has anyone tried it? You can get some very realistic ones here - can you even get it in Italy? If you can, it would be a more child friendly option than paving (for those renting out), and a more maintenance friendly option than the real stuff.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 3:35 pm 

is that the smoking vatiety?? :lol:

Report this post
PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 6:35 pm 

dgrcgl29 wrote:
What about artificial grass? Has anyone tried it? You can get some very realistic ones here - can you even get it in Italy? If you can, it would be a more child friendly option than paving (for those renting out), and a more maintenance friendly option than the real stuff.

we have real grass at our place in PBC along with a lemon tree and shrubs. Looks great small watering system we pay 180 euro a year for full maintenance, the gardener lives there full time

Report this post
PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 11:27 pm 

If you get artificial grass you must weight it down else in a high wind it will take off, also you do have to maintain it as you will get weeds growing through the canvas which sort of spoils the effect.

C heers Diane :)

Report this post
PostPosted: February 7th, 2012, 3:03 pm 

Thanks for info. re grass. Will decide over the next few months what to do will let you know what we choose and how it goes
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 9:47 pm 

I was advised "Canada Grass" a a good variety for such climates.

On the synthetic grasses, I am trying to find a sensibly priced supplier in Northern Calabria. In the UK I can buy at £20/sq.m for a decent quality, but I have only been offered more than three times that cost.

They say you weight it down with 'silica sand' for numerous reasons. It holds the pile properly upright; it reduces stretch with the heat; it blunts Stanley blades if some bbbbb tries to pinch it while you are away. You should prepare the ground with weed suppressant fabric with sand/blinding/hardcore over it, and that should prevent weeds. Most guarantee UV stable for 8+ years.

But I can't find a sensible supplier, and silica sand is hard to find - only the coarse volcanic stuff!

Report this post
PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 6:52 pm 

Gosh, was it that long ago? (And now I remember what my old login was!).

This year we had artificial grass laid by the builder who also did my 'hard' - for the car, and a wonderfully tiled patio area and path. Find a good one, and stick with them...

And the sand problem.... 300+Kg in the back of the car is about the same weight as 3 burly blokes... Had to take it from home - but worth it. In fact we've found this a lot over the 5 years that we've owned in the South: take a carload of something every time as many 'gardening' prices are so high in Italy. Coloured gravel, fine sand, end even plants like laurels were much cheaper to take (and the laurels were started as cuttings near Pisa, and then imported to UK garden centres.....).

Report this post
PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 3:43 pm 

post some photos please of the finished area it may help someone else decide

Report this post