A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 8th, 2012, 6:44 pm 

Just wondering what the general consensus is.. did you use a company to do a fit out for you (and if it's not way too cheeky, could you give a ball park figure on how much it all cost, no prob if not) or did you ship everything you wanted to use over or buy it all over there?

Thanks so much, it's that time of the year when it's nice to have something sunny to look forward to. :)

Report this post
PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 11:50 am 

There are a number of companies around that do furniture packs, and we help our clients get one from a good local supplier.

I don't think anyone beats Ikea for price, the nearest is Salerno (4 hours from Lamezia) or the new store in Catania on Sicily, 3 hours from Reggio Calabria including the ferry.

So that is the advise to our customers: for maximum convenience have a good local shop deliver and install it (from €5.000 - €10.000 depending on range and size) and if you want the lowest price and select the furniture from a catalogue or store near your home Ikea is way to go.

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 9:59 am 

I bought the majority of stuff here and sent it over with William Cowie who is brilliant. :) :)

Report this post
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 3:05 pm 

We send some stuff down to our apt with Billy Cowie but in hindsight we would have saved a fortune if we had bought everything for our apt in the UK and sent it with Billy.

The same table and chairs bought in La Gru, Siderno for 400 euros could have been bought in UK for about £175. To add insult to injury 2 chairs are already falling apart.

From personal experience I would suggest that absolutely everything for the home be bought in the UK, and transported here, it's cheaper in the long run and the quality is better. Even with the pound/euro rise UK is still better value

Report this post
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 5:39 pm 

I did lots of research on this and we too ended up purchasing all of our furniture in the UK and sending it all out with Billie, we saved a fortune doing it this way, it also meant that we could send bikes, shed and even some stock items of food you cant buy in Italy!!! There are also items like shower screens that are difficult to get hold of, that we were able to buy here - you might even save money buying a kitchen in the uk and shipping it over????

We looked at the option of going to Ikea in Naples, but hire of a van etc plus if the items are out of stock they cannot be ordered!!!

I also looked at shipping a container over there but that also worked out more expensive and less convenient.

Billie was by far the easiest and cheapest option.

If you need any more information please ask.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 7:40 pm 

I bought my big items of furniture including kitchen through Paul McDonnell, Calabrian Management Services and it was a reasonably priced and very convenient way. I bought a lot of smaller items e.g. towels, bedding, kitchen utensils at home in Ikea/Tescos and brought them out on 2 visits. I also bought smaller items e.g. lamps, pictures in Italy. It was a relatively hassle-free way of doing it.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 7:41 pm 

Friends have had ikea things delivered. Not done it self. We bought down there and took over in Volvo estate. Every year I take household things with me. Baked beans as they are expensive and are a good stand by for teenagers. Squash tea jam dettol j cloth on roll. An eclectic collection.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 10:05 pm 

John Lewis now deliver to Italy for £7.50 per order and their clearance is on now.
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 10:26 pm 

We've used M&S for £7.50 delivery - including saucepans, bathroom loo brush, cushions, pillows, duvets etc

Report this post
PostPosted: January 10th, 2012, 10:39 pm 

We initially bought everything over there locally, didnt know any different at the time and although we helped local economy , think in hindsight, we were slightly ripped off! we take "bits" over every time we go and have used Billy Cowie for shiping a
dressing table over and will certainly use him in future - he is spot on in every way.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 7:38 am 

It is true that goods in general appear cheaper in the UK and I think there are two reasons for this. One is that you know where to go - as you have been around a while and it is easy to compare, two is you are comparing with a very rural area at the edge of Europe.

Personally I order some furniture from northern Italian websites and the prices and quality are good.

If you know where to go, already in Salerno, Naples and Rome there is a lot of competition so prices should not be much different from the UK.

My impression is that kitchens are good value in Italy, but then again I have never bought a kitchen in the UK.

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 5:40 pm 

Kitchens do seem to be good value in Italy.
We bought a kitchen complete with gas hob, oven, extractor fan, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, 4 wall units, 3 base units, 3 large and one small drawer from EURO SHOPPING, Selia Marina(CZ) They may have places in the west coast.
We also got king size bed, wardrobe, wall units and chest of drawers.
Total cost was 2.999,00 euros. This excluded delivery and installation, can't remember exactly how much this was but it wasn't a lot.
We haven't been over since all was delivered so can't tell you about quality but it certainly looked good in the showroom.
Price was reduced from 6,800 euros.
Meanwhile a BOSCH washing machine was 249 euros in SINERGY
We will be taking over some furniture from here but I think that if you have the time to shop around you can get some good deals in Calabria.
mags

Report this post
PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 7:18 pm 

We did a combination of local purchases, ikea and stuff from home. We used Turco for the kitchen, main bed, sofa bed and dining table and then flew into Naples on a couple of occasions and hired a people carrier so we could get the spare beds and wardrobes etc.

Our electrics came mainly from local suppliers, apart from a kettle which we brought with us as we just couldn't find one!

Smaller odd little bits we had spares of (towels, bedding etc.) we brought with us from home.

In total to furnish a 2 bed apartment the way we wanted it (rather than for letting) we spent around £10k

Hope that helps

Liz & Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 10:07 pm 

We've spent many months looking in different shopping areas ranging from Catanzaro to Locri to Reggio Calabria even Catania and prices are extortionate compared to UK. In fact even with the sales on at the moment there is just no comparison to UK furniture and household prices.

It staggers me how people manage to live as they do when salaries are relatively low and prices of food/clothing/household/cars are so high ???

Report this post
PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 11:09 am 

I think southern Italians don't change furniture as often as in the UK, so the market is smaller.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 9:54 pm 

Vincenzo at Turco in Amantea did us a good deal on a kitchen. We paid 6000 euro for far more than our son got for £4000 in the UK - he fitted his, but mine was all installed for the price, and delivered 50 miles north.

Most other things..... we drive from the UK 3 times a year and take an estate load every time (furniture, plants, 'Yorkshire teabags' - they just don't know what English tea is like do they?)

Report this post
PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 8:44 am 

We are flying for the summer for the first time this year but I am still going to take my tea bags fajita mix etc. Should be interesting going thru security!

Report this post
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2012, 9:04 pm 

we got our furniture from Calabrian Invest in Pizzo - all worked very well - no hicups

Report this post
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2012, 7:10 am 

these companies have all the informations of the mobile property management it a very good term for the mobile property business is the information about of the mobile property management .you must link it and get more information.

Report this post