A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 4:12 pm 

Got back from Pizzo Beach last night with the wife and kids. Weather? Beautiful. Resort?Beautiful. Wife and kids? Don't ask.
Clubhouse and pools weren't open (I think they open in the next few days) but still had a great time.
Path to the beach through the forest is lovely and they've now cleaned the beach up.
Paul and Tom from Calabria Management Services were absolutely fantastic. I cannot speak highly enough of them.
Our place has benefited from a lovely garden arranged by Paul and Lorraine from Calabrian
Services. I know this sounds like a plug-filled message but I did want to express our gratitude.
Negatives so far are the lack of an agreement with Club Med, which I was banking on, and the absence of a slide by the pool, which my kids were banking on.
You may also remember in the distant past that VFI promised botanical gardens - again no sign.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 5:21 pm 

Thanks for keeping us up to date Dancing Brave. My fiance and I fly over tomorrow to Pizzo Beach Club and we are due to complete on Monday 18th April.
That's a shame the pools are not open yet.....no point packing the swimming costume then!

This has all been so stressful as everyone says but very soon, we hope to have it all over! I will keep you all posted how it goes.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 8:46 pm 

Swim on the sea

Report this post
PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 9:26 pm 

Can we maybe get some photos of the walkway to the beach and the newly cleaned up beach on here please. It's been a while since i've been and i haven't closed yet so it will be a few weeks before i get over. Things are starting to move now so hopefully i will get sorted for May.
Hope everyone who will be there for Easter has a great time. I was there this time last year and the weather was nice,i even went for a swim in the sea. I was walking around in shorts which the locals thought was a bit premature.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 15th, 2011, 8:13 am 

I doubt beaches will be cleaned until late may June so please do not get disappointed if not done

Report this post
PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 3:17 pm 

I just wanted to encourage those of you who have not yet completed; it will definitely be worth it in the end! Paul McD sent me photos yesterday of my apartemnt including furniture and kitchen and it looks lovely. Can't wait to see it in person on Wed. I'm at 86G if any of you would like to call in and say hello and introduce yourselves. There are several of us from N Ireland there at the same time.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 6:10 pm 

eviegardner wrote:
I just wanted to encourage those of you who have not yet completed; it will definitely be worth it in the end! Paul McD sent me photos yesterday of my apartemnt including furniture and kitchen and it looks lovely. Can't wait to see it in person on Wed. I'm at 86G if any of you would like to call in and say hello and introduce yourselves. There are several of us from N Ireland there at the same time.

Hi Evie congrats. We will be at our place 140G May4 how long will you be in PBC? cheryl and I look forward to meeting all of our new neighbours as well. I also have guests flying from Canada to take a look at Calabria and possibly purchasing. Take care and hope to meet you. David & Cheryl.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 6:24 pm 

beynon, I arrive on 20th Apr and leave May 1st so I presume I'll miss you, that's a pity.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 8:16 am 

Congratulations Evie! We completed the day after you and it seems we are next door neighbours so hopefully we will see you out there over the summer. :)

After all it's taken to get to this stage, we are considering selling up already. We have two babies and the thoughts of taking them on two flights to get there is very unappealing at the moment.

Hopefully Ryanair will put in place a Dub-Lamezia flight soon but I don't really see that happening.

Otherwise, Beynon if your family are considering purchasing and are looking for a good deal, let us know.

Dancing Brave, great update - thanks a million.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 6:07 pm 

Well we finally completed yesterday and it all went really well. The resort is really looking great and we had fab help from Paul and Tom from Calabrian Management Services, they are so helpful and great, easy going guys! We have ordered our furniture and also getting Paul and Tom to help get the rest ready for rental. That was the first time we'd actually been in our apartment, so it was great to see it and the resort in general.

Not wanting to sound like a plug for everyone either, but if anyone needs help with completion, we had fabulous help from Paolo Zagami whose name I found on this forum actually! He managed to help us get the compensation payment on the day and it was so helpful having him guide us through the whole process as it was quite a daunting thing to go through as a foreigner. We obviously had our own lawyer in Venice helping out in the build up over the years as well but having Paolo on the day helped immensely. I also speak Italian which helps understand some of what is going on, but I couldn't have negotiated deals!
We are just glad it's all over.....sun, sea and sand here we come!

Report this post
PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 9:22 pm 

Janeo please tell us how you managed to get the compensation and how much as i am about to close and i was told there would be no compensation unless you closed before Sept 2010.

Barney

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 6:28 pm 

Hi Barney,
Our lawyer in Venice that we have been working with since we signed up 3 years ago requested the compensation through various emails in advance of completion and then Paolo Zagami negotiated for us on the day. I don't know if it helped the fact that we were there on the day in person but that shouldn't change things?
I hope you are successful with your completion.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 9:42 pm 

Thanks Janeo. Was the compo 1500?
Has anyone else got the compensation for Pizzo Beach?

Barney

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 10:45 pm 

barneyjoe wrote:
Thanks Janeo. Was the compo 1500?
Has anyone else got the compensation for Pizzo Beach?

Barney

Yes we did and received 2000 euro, but we completed as soon as our Lawyer advised us on this, in order to get this compensation. Which came in handy when the hook ups to the apt was over 2000 euro. ciao David

Report this post
PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 10:48 pm 

NewInCalabria wrote:
Congratulations Evie! We completed the day after you and it seems we are next door neighbours so hopefully we will see you out there over the summer. :)

After all it's taken to get to this stage, we are considering selling up already. We have two babies and the thoughts of taking them on two flights to get there is very unappealing at the moment.

Hopefully Ryanair will put in place a Dub-Lamezia flight soon but I don't really see that happening.

Otherwise, Beynon if your family are considering purchasing and are looking for a good deal, let us know.

Dancing Brave, great update - thanks a million.

Can you please PM me and let me know how mant bedrooms and price of your unit. Thanks David

Report this post
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 7:23 pm 

Hi Janeo72,
could you tell me how to contact Paolo Zagami, as we are hoping to complete next week & would really like to have some one there with me, as I intend to be there for the completion & sadly speak no Italian.
Beynon, we are planning to sell our apt ASAP, no point going into all the details why. Ours is a 2 bed 1 bath with sun terrace, has air con fitted in living area & main bedroom, & will still have almost 1 years membership to the VFI assistance package, we just want what we have paid out for it, obviously even at that we will actually still be losing money, but if it is what your looking for then I would work out the amount !

Alan & Philomena Apt 57f.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 24th, 2011, 5:54 pm 

Hi Alan and Philomena,
I think the best way of contacting him is through his personal assistant Emily who is lovely and she can help to liaise with Paolo for you. It was wonderful having him on the day and it was a great support to us. Emily's email address: info@zagamilaw.com
You can say that you had been chatting to me on the forum.

Barney - we got 1500 Euros compensation.
David - that was great you got 2000!

Good luck to all!

Report this post
PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 7:04 pm 

hi all,
has anyone else being told by their solicitors acting for a Purchase at PBC that they owe bank charges for the transfer of the final payment ? We transferred nearly 90,000 euros over 4weeks ago, with no confirmation of receiving the funds, even after several requests for one, then today 26th April we were told they did not have the funds, even though they had been trying to give us a completion day of this Thursday, then within the last hour they have told us yes they do have the funds but it is 142.00 euros short due to bank charges !! and now they will not arrange the completion until this amount is paid, just when we thought we were nearly there !

Alan & Philomena Apt 57f

Report this post
PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 9:57 pm 

Hi Alan and Philomena,

We were hit with the same charge. Absolutely ridiculous, you would think if anything. a large amount sitting in an account would accrue interest, not further cost! You'd nearly come to expect this kind of thing as we go along.. :(

Report this post
PostPosted: April 26th, 2011, 11:45 pm 

Can I ask you both where the money was transferred to? Was it your solicitor's client account, and if so, do you both have the same solicitor?

Report this post
PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 5:35 am 

dgrcgl29 wrote:
Can I ask you both where the money was transferred to? Was it your solicitor's client account, and if so, do you both have the same solicitor?

Hi, yes it was paid into L'Abbate solicitors client account, the account details that were given to us by them & by the agent.

Alan.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 7:29 am 

NewInCalabria wrote:
We were hit with the same charge(

There are some old fashioned bank accounts around where indeed it costs money to receive funds - it is crazy but normal. It is not your solicitor or notary ripping you off but their bank.

These are probably accounts that have been around a long time and cost nothing to have but instead % charges apply to operations something nobody cares about until it is 90000 euro being moved. A client moving half a million got charged 600 euro and is still battling with that bank. He is a lawyer so he enjoys that sort of thing .....

Report this post
PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 11:02 am 

Dennis Onstenk wrote:
NewInCalabria wrote:
We were hit with the same charge(

There are some old fashioned bank accounts around where indeed it costs money to receive funds - it is crazy but normal. It is not your solicitor or notary ripping you off but their bank.

These are probably accounts that have been around a long time and cost nothing to have but instead % charges apply to operations something nobody cares about until it is 90000 euro being moved. A client moving half a million got charged 600 euro and is still battling with that bank. He is a lawyer so he enjoys that sort of thing .....

Hi Dennis,
then surely this their problem for having an outdated bank account, not ours, since when do you pay other peoples bank charges ! I pay bank charges when people pay me by cheque into my business account, I do not expect them to pay my bank charges !

Alan.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 2:24 pm 

Hi Alan,

if you have an Italian account you should use a bankers draft (assegno circolare) at no or little charge which is the standard procedure for Italians. There is no reason to pay into a client account other then convenience to the buyer.

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 2:43 pm 

Dennis Onstenk wrote:
Hi Alan,

if you have an Italian account you should use a bankers draft (assegno circolare) at no or little charge which is the standard procedure for Italians. There is no reason to pay into a client account other then convenience to the buyer.

Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
surely they should warn you of this when they give you the bank details for you to use, not leave you with a shortfall in your funds & tell you that you cannot complete until you pay the outstanding money, as I have said to the solicitors, customers only pay money into my account because they owe me it, I do not then tell them they owe me for paying it in & that I would then soon have no customers if I did that practise ! I would have preferred if they had just concealed it in their fees ! I have always found Italians in general to be friendly & helpful, until we started getting involved with builders & solicitors ! Or have we just been really unlucky !! As in builders promising refunds, then just changing their minds ! and solicitors that just stop replying to your calls & emails but keep your money !

Regards
Alan & Philomena.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 3:07 pm 

I agree with everything you say up to the first explanation mark!

Report this post
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 12:34 pm 

I'm just back from 10 brilliant days at Pizzo Beach Club. The complex is looking lovely and I'm delighted with my apartment. Many thanks to Paul & Tom for getting the place furnished etc within a short space of time (only completed 8 days before I arrived). I met loads of nice people and visited lots of nice places, all-in-all it's a super place so those of you who are still waiting to complete, don't give up as it'll be worth it in the end! I can't wait to return in July.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 5:17 pm 

janeo72 wrote:
Well we finally completed yesterday and it all went really well. The resort is really looking great and we had fab help from Paul and Tom from Calabrian Management Services, they are so helpful and great, easy going guys! We have ordered our furniture and also getting Paul and Tom to help get the rest ready for rental. That was the first time we'd actually been in our apartment, so it was great to see it and the resort in general.

Not wanting to sound like a plug for everyone either, but if anyone needs help with completion, we had fabulous help from Paolo Zagami whose name I found on this forum actually! He managed to help us get the compensation payment on the day and it was so helpful having him guide us through the whole process as it was quite a daunting thing to go through as a foreigner. We obviously had our own lawyer in Venice helping out in the build up over the years as well but having Paolo on the day helped immensely. I also speak Italian which helps understand some of what is going on, but I couldn't have negotiated deals!
We are just glad it's all over.....sun, sea and sand here we come!

Dear Jane,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate!

It took a long time but at the end we got for you the best conditions and it made me really happy. By the way let me tell you after we met in Lamezia I saw Pizzo Beach Club and well I can tell you the site is wonderful....simply amaizing!

I wish you all the best and we keep in contact. Also Emily sends you her best greetings.

Avvocato Paolo Zagami
Zagamilaw International Law Firm
info@zagamilaw.com
www.zagamilaw.com

Report this post
PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 5:22 pm 

auto11toj wrote:
Hi Janeo72,
could you tell me how to contact Paolo Zagami, as we are hoping to complete next week & would really like to have some one there with me, as I intend to be there for the completion & sadly speak no Italian.
Beynon, we are planning to sell our apt ASAP, no point going into all the details why. Ours is a 2 bed 1 bath with sun terrace, has air con fitted in living area & main bedroom, & will still have almost 1 years membership to the VFI assistance package, we just want what we have paid out for it, obviously even at that we will actually still be losing money, but if it is what your looking for then I would work out the amount !

Alan & Philomena Apt 57f.

Dear Alan and Philomena,

It is Emily May Giordani writing, I'm Attorney Paolo Zagami's Assistant.

As wrote by Jane (who I warmly greet) feel free to contact us by email at info@zagamilaw.com or to call us at our UK Line which is +44.(0)20.32862319. We will be happy to assist you.

Kind Regards

Emily May Giordani
Zagamilaw International Law Firm
www.zagamilaw.com

Report this post
PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 12:57 pm 

Can anyone confirm if the site facilities are up and running yet (restaurant, pools, gym, tennis, football etc). The last we heard (a few weeks ago) everything was very close to opening.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 1:19 pm 

When I arrrived on 20th april the 2 pools, gym, tennis, playing field were all operational. Plus sunloungers/parasols on beach. I think the restaurant and supermarket were due to open mid-May but haven't heard if they did.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 6:26 pm 

dgrcgl29 wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the site facilities are up and running yet (restaurant, pools, gym, tennis, football etc). The last we heard (a few weeks ago) everything was very close to opening.

I am at PBC now and have been for a week and a half. Everything is open except the resturant. They have opened to guest on one day to make sureI was all is working, my understanding is they are wating for more clients to arrive and then open. The place is amazing I was here 6 months ago big big change. David & Cheryl 140G

Report this post
PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 6:14 pm 

I can't believe it the day has actually come, i have closed on my Apt in Pizzo Beach Club. I feel like i have been waiting years and i guess i have.
Now on to getting the place rentable and a wee run over to check it out.
Happy Days!

Barney 13F

Report this post
PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 7:15 pm 

Congratulations Barney, it's worth the long wait!

Report this post
PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 9:03 pm 

Hi all, congratulations to all who have completed recently. Is there any one else in our position, we made our final payment two months ago, we were finally given a completion date of the 19th May, & even though we have given POA to our "solicitors" ! I have always told them I want to be there on the day of completion, to try & get our compensation or to try and get something in place of the things that have not been done that are in our contract to be done or provided ! So I booked my flight on the Monday 16th to go on the Wednesday, along with car hire, car parking at Stanstead & a hotel near Pizzo. Only to receive an email on the Tuesday evening informing me our appointment had been cancelled & that it never been confirmed, which was news to us, we were never told it was not a confirmed appointment, their excuse was that the builders solicitor could not make it. Yet another load of money down the drain ! We have heard nothing from any of the people concerned since they cancelled ! We were there the first week in May & stayed at PBC in Evies apt.Thank you again Evie, met a lovely couple from Ireland, Audrey & Colm, things looked good and we became quite upbeat about completing after all this time, chose some furniture through Paul & Tom CMS. We are transporting a lot of things ourselves, so now have a large van loaded to go but have been left in limbo again. We were hoping to get it all finished for the end of June to try & get some rental this season & spend some time there ourselves in July. And then to find out the condo fees are going up for something we cannot even use has got me to the point of giving up, all we seemed to have done for three years is pay out money and still have nothing to show for it, & now we are also paying a bank loan every month for money that is sat in the solicitors bank account !
If I ever do set off to Italy with the van I will probably have some room in the van for more gear or can tow a trailer with furniture in it or bring a car over on a trailer for some one at very reasonable rates, I will also be trying not to go back empty to try & cover the costs of travelling over there. I am a professional driver of LGV & coaches, if any one is interested, but obviously I have no dates arranged until we complete. Has any one else managed to get compensation recently, as I know from this forum one person managed it !

Sorry for my attitude at this moment in time !!

Alan & Philomena Apt. 57f ONE DAY !!

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 12:48 pm 

Well done Barneyjoe - we are near neighbours in 4F. My son has just returned from a weeks stay out there said it was fantastic. People are moving in every day. One problem he found was that there was no shallow part to the swimming pools and with two toddlers was difficult

Report this post
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 10:24 pm 

I'm heading to 13F PBC next Friday 17th for 5 days. Staying in my new place for the first time, really looking forward to seeing it completed.
Is any other owners going to be there?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 10:41 pm 

For those of you who have completed, can I ask how much everyone paid for notary fees.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 10:49 pm 

I paid 2900 Euro + 1900 Euro for mortgage notary ( i know it's crazy but that's the going rate)
I had nearly forgot about it until you brought it up again!
Just another cost of buying in Italy.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 11:38 pm 

I paid 2600 + 1600 for mortgage for 1-bedroomed apartment. Barney, I presume yours is more 'cos it's 2-bedroomed.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 9:29 am 

Yeah i have a 2 bedroom.
I think i will talk to the kids today about becoming a Notary!

Report this post
PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 12:03 pm 

Hi Evie & Barneyjoe, yes ours was 2900 euros for a 2 bed, although we still have not completed yet ! paid the final payments on the 28th March, had two dates given and not completed, the last one cancled the night before i was due to fly out ! Have a new date of 15th June ! but not booking flights until last minute, which obviously cost more, fingers crossed, our garage and spare bedroom full of stuff to load up & bring over, so not looking good for any income this year !

Alan & Philomena Apt 57f

Report this post
PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 6:13 pm 

Hi Alan, I was going to email you to see how things were going. That's good you've got another date, I hope it goes ahead this time as you've had a fristrating time.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 6:49 pm 

Has anyone sampled the clubhouse/restaurant at Pizzo Beach Club?
Any chance of a brief review

Report this post
PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 8:34 pm 

Tomake you feel better on notary we were stung badly when buying our cantina. 2000. Plus a rather unpleasant English translator fee our agent was furious

Report this post
PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 3:05 pm 

Well, we've finally done it!! We are the very proud owners of an apartment at Pizzo Beach Club!! And we couldn't have done it without the help of the forum - the information we've had from this site has been invaluable, especially since communication from Italy has been few and far between to say the least. The last few weeks have been very stressful, mainly down to Barclays Bank red tape - and when I've calmed down a bit, I'll try to put up a post to warn others (it will probably take up a whole page on it's own!).

We have flights booked to go over on Sunday 3rd July (arriving at tea-time), but the van with our furniture won't arrive until Monday morning, so we are looking for accommodation for one night for two adults and three children. I've tried a couple of the B & Bs in Pizzo, but there are no vacancies - does anyone have any suggestions?

Finally, we will be there until Sunday 10th July, and would love to meet up with any of our neighbours. Will any of you be there at the same time?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 6:11 pm 

I'll be there from June 29th to July 13th and it'd be great to meet up. I'm at 86G, what about you?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 6:36 pm 

dgrcgl29 wrote:
Well, we've finally done it!! We are the very proud owners of an apartment at Pizzo Beach Club!! And we couldn't have done it without the help of the forum - the information we've had from this site has been invaluable, especially since communication from Italy has been few and far between to say the least. The last few weeks have been very stressful, mainly down to Barclays Bank red tape - and when I've calmed down a bit, I'll try to put up a post to warn others (it will probably take up a whole page on it's own!).

We have flights booked to go over on Sunday 3rd July (arriving at tea-time), but the van with our furniture won't arrive until Monday morning, so we are looking for accommodation for one night for two adults and three children. I've tried a couple of the B & Bs in Pizzo, but there are no vacancies - does anyone have any suggestions?

Finally, we will be there until Sunday 10th July, and would love to meet up with any of our neighbours. Will any of you be there at the same time?

Did you try bella Pizzo Bed and Breakfast we stayed there excellent

Report this post
PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 7:03 pm 

Hello Beynon, yes we tried them but they're full that night. Evie, we're at 151g, feel free to pop round.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 7:06 pm 

congrats on completing been a long time but am sure you will fin it worth it in the end

Cheers :)

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next