A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 28th, 2009, 4:22 pm 

If any one is thinking of pulling out of Stromboli Views purchase you will NOT get your reservation fee of 3000 euro back.
After signing up for a completion date of 2009, we recieved our contracts to be told completion was now in fact 2010. This is not what we signed up for.
So we instructed our solicitor to pull out of the purchase.
We have since then contacted Frank at Sandloka for our refund of our deposit and was told that we could transfer the monies to a completed property.
How this would be possible I have no idea...there is no completed properties!!!!
Since then Frank at Sandloka has ignored my emails. According to this forum Sandloka are not very contactable at the moment.
I am appalled at everything Sandloka stands for, if they still exist.
I would be interested in other peoples stories
:x

Report this post
PostPosted: April 28th, 2009, 6:47 pm 

You are not alone. I've been 'had' by a similar ruse in another country after I pulled out of the preliminary stages of a purchase after we discovered full permissions were not granted and a few dodgy deals had gone on. The money was a supposed ' refundable' payment to hold the apartment. Ha bleedin ha - we have never got it back. Apartments ended up with retrospective planning permission and a much smaller pool than first quoted.

The Agents blame the developer and the developer lies and lies and says he has returned it to you. They are many thieves out there for every successul purchase. I think they spend it as soon as they receive it and are then cash poor and unable to pay out (and also have no intention).

You must keep trying though, but don't hold your breath, sadly.

Mrs T

Last edited by admin on April 30th, 2009, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post edited to remove offensive comment

Report this post
PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 9:11 am 
Site Admin

I also felt the same way. We went to view properties with Sandloka based on the prices they had listed on their website. When we went for our meeting to discuss purchasing an apartment the price was changed and I advised them what they had quoted on their website but they gave some excuse. On site I was filming the location and plans and Frank did ask about my filming, he seemed nervous!

My father has multiple sclerosis and we had explained on viewing the properties with him we needed a ground floor flat. When I challenged him on not honouring the price quoted on his website, he turned in the meeting and said "Ok, I can give you apartment at that price on the ground floors but it has lots of steps". Very nice.

The meeting ended.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 10:34 am 

I totally agree with you mish, afters years of waiting - i have decided not to go ahead with stromboli either. Its been a bad experience from start to finish. You cant believe a word Frank says. I was also refused my deposit even though like yourself it does state a completion for 2009. I am appauled by sandloka more and more over the last few months. If anyone else has had the same problem getting their deposit back on stromboli..please PM me

Report this post
PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 12:36 pm 
Sorry to hear of your problems Nial and i hope it does not deter or detract you from your dream of owning property here in Calabria or having your deposit returned for that matter.
If you need any advice on the best units and developments in this area please do not hesitate to contact or pm me. Some of our developments will shortly be completed and the build quality, design and attention to detail are excellent.

Report this post

PostPosted: May 1st, 2009, 10:58 pm 

MrsTeapot wrote:
You are not alone. I've been 'had' by a similar ruse in another country after I pulled out of the preliminary stages of a purchase after we discovered full permissions were not granted and a few dodgy deals had gone on. The money was a supposed ' refundable' payment to hold the apartment. Ha bleedin ha - we have never got it back. Apartments ended up with retrospective planning permission and a much smaller pool than first quoted.

The Agents blame the developer and the developer lies and lies and says he has returned it to you. They are many thieves out there for every successul purchase. I think they spend it as soon as they receive it and are then cash poor and unable to pay out (and also have no intention).

You must keep trying though, but don't hold your breath, sadly.

Mrs T

Oh my goodness, apologies from me - huge ones - I should have thought before I typed my personal opinion of an Agent I dealt with. So sorry!

Mrs T goes and stands in the corner and faces the wall in shame. :oops:

Report this post
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2009, 3:12 pm 

Mrs T, why are you apologising? Are you not allowed to have an opinion?
Mish

Report this post
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2009, 4:51 pm 

I removed an offensive comment about a person. There are ways and ways of showing one's displeasure, but on this forum I think it would be best not to get personal.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2009, 5:04 pm 

I must have missed it then! I didn't notice it.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 3:03 pm 

Missed it too!....I dont think anyone is buying here anymore because of the years of delays and broken promises from sandloka.

I begining to believe that they want everyone to pull out so they dont have to refund all the deposits. At this stage most people buying in calabria know about this forum and its importantance in keeping in contact with fellow buyers etc when buying abroad, yet out of all the developments - very few seem to be stromboli purchasers- always found tha strange...

anyway - who knows whats really going on there anymore!

Niall

Report this post
PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 5:00 pm 

message for tyke, as you are going to tropea soon maybe you can find out about sandloka and our deposits? are you still going ahead with your purchase ? or have you been refused your deposit also

Report this post
PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 8:57 am 

Hi Mab

Unfortunately I have had to cancel due to personal circumstances. As such I dont believe that I am due to a refund of my deposit.
I have not declared this on the forum until now due to personal privacy, but seen as though you asked.
I recieved a contract from my own independant lawyer back in December/January which was subject to a couple of minor approvals still required. The lawyers were happy with everything else.

I will be able to confrim whether or not Sandloka are still around, but as to the status of deposits? Im not sure that I can help there.
From my own experience (2 years ago now) I travelled independantly to Calabria and Sandloka were the only people I found (I hadnt discovered InCalabria and Dennis then) who had completed properties to show. I also visited all the coastal areas from way up in Scalea all around Tropea across to Bianco along East to Capo Rizzuto. I experienced all the Medsea hype and didnt believe a word, plus a few others. Sandloka (Frank) were the only ones that I (with 20 years property experience) felt that actualy were credible. Even though I thought that their programme for completion was very optimistic.
I have absolutley no connection with Sandloka or any other company in Calabria, so I am impartial.
If circumstances were different for me I would still be on board, as long as my lawyer said it was safe to do so.
If it turns out that Stromboli Views is a Lemon then I would be proven to be gullible perhaps? But as no one was ever going to get my money without a proper contract being in place, I only stand to lose my 3000e.
If Stromboli views does go ahead I will be envious of those who have stuck with it and maybe I will rent one!

Tyke

Report this post
PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 5:52 pm 

Hi Tyke
We have purchased a property on the westcoast through Sandloka and the Builder is a Signor Mondella of the Arcobaleno SRL building company. This man is a well known local builder of some years and reputation and I would Suggest that if you want some information regarding the building of the properties you mention to contact him direct, I will send you his e-mail in a pm. There is a lovely young lady in his office who speaks english , i am sure she would answer any queries you may have.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 5:52 pm 

Finally, I came back down to earth, and began reading the latest forum posts...in particular in respect to Sandloka.

As some of you know, I did purchase through Sandloka back in April 2008. I feel, all things considered, that I got off lucky, to a degree, in that I have completed my Sandloka sold property and am relatively happy with the results.

It's best some times to just not broadcast every little thing that causes you concern, unless it is going to help someone else. The only thing I can now say, in all honesty, is that I believe marketers/developers need to really follow-through with their clients and offer much more than just "clinching the deal" for the builder/themselves. In retrospect, who knows, how much more I paid for my place at Zambrone Hills, as compares the presenting asking price and I am not privy to all the "inside details" of builders and their relationships with the marketers.

Being a very independent, hands-on type, I tend to not rely on anyone for much. However, in my circumstance, I think this company really short-changed me in the "assistance" department. It would have served them well, had they kept in touch on a very regular basis after I paid my money down and they got their share. There seem to have been very weak attempts to show good faith and friendship, but it didn't wash with me.

I still believe the development (small as it is) where I purchased is a lovely spot and I am so glad that present marketers are now able to offer sale of some of the units. I shudder to think what percentage of my hard-earned money Sandloka got as part of their "commission". This lack of communication is what sorts it out for you really. I am still pretty much on my own with various things I really should know about my property.

I would agree with Dennis when he recommends the tone we need to take with these issues. Still, I have to be honest here and say it's disappointing that Sandloka seem to have disappeared. I don't know the real story. All I know is they could have kept in touch, both the owner and the staff. I'm still waiting for my screen that was promised on my terrace, but I won't be holding my breath. Thanks though...for the lemon tree, as requested. Not sure who planted it, but it is a nice gesture, so not all things are bad.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 25th, 2009, 7:50 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I have today returned from a week in Calabria.
I made a several visits to the Sandloka office on the Corsa to see if they were open after reading the concerns of purchasers, it was always closed when I visited. I spoke to one of the waiters in the bar on the corner next to their office. He said that they have been closed for some time. In fact they are placing table and chairs in front of their closed office doors.
I also made a point of checking the Stromboli Views site as I pass it when I drive to Tropea. The site was deserted of any construction activity and looked the same as when I last visited Calabria in March.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2009, 3:30 pm 

Hey more tables and chairs to sit out, enjoy the views and, more importantly the food!

Joking aside though, I think if at all possible, it would behoove the said company to at least say "hey we're not here any more, or here's a number if you wish to contact us". Leaving no word at all just makes everyone suspicious, in my opinion. Then again, maybe there are some things they/we can do nothing about. I'll settle for that now, as it's a bit too little too late I fear. Not knowing is a tough spot to be in, specifically those who paid their money and got nothing in return...not even a follow-up phone call!

Report this post
PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 9:34 pm 

hi just been on sandloka website. anyone know whats happened to stomboli views?

Report this post
PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 10:23 pm 

Hi Mab,
See my post of the 25th May above, no change i'm afraid.
I was out there in the middle of last month and the site is still as it has been when I first saw it with Sandloka in June last year. Red plastic fence on the bottom road of the site, two entries bulldozed either end of the field and nothing else.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 6th, 2009, 12:37 pm 

Don't have experience of this particular developer but talking to other people who have pulled out of other developments in other areas of Calabria, my understanding is that if the deposit was lodged with your solicitor you will probably get the deposit back if you complain to the Law Society. If the monies were paid to the agent/developer I don't think that is likely. If anyone paid by credit card to the solicitor, you can go down that route, especially if you believed the deposit to be refundable.

mish wrote:
If any one is thinking of pulling out of Stromboli Views purchase you will NOT get your reservation fee of 3000 euro back.
After signing up for a completion date of 2009, we recieved our contracts to be told completion was now in fact 2010. This is not what we signed up for.
So we instructed our solicitor to pull out of the purchase.
We have since then contacted Frank at Sandloka for our refund of our deposit and was told that we could transfer the monies to a completed property.
How this would be possible I have no idea...there is no completed properties!!!!
Since then Frank at Sandloka has ignored my emails. According to this forum Sandloka are not very contactable at the moment.
I am appalled at everything Sandloka stands for, if they still exist.
I would be interested in other peoples stories
:x

Report this post
PostPosted: July 6th, 2009, 5:35 pm 

I purchased with Sandloka in April, 2008, at Zambrone Hills. My apartment was the first to be built and there was already work going on on the other buildings. Mine was almost built when I agreed to purchase. It was almost finished, barring the floors. My closing date was September 30, 2008. I was over there in September, ended up staying until the end of October, because it wasn't quite ready.

Without going into all the nitty grittys of my experience. I have to say, I believe the builder, Vincenzo Cotroneo to be a good guy, but he speaks Calabrese only. His buildings are good!

After reading what I have here, I wonder if he got his share of the deposit I paid to Sandloka? Because I know they are not selling his property now - InCalabria is, last I heard.

Moving on to Sandloka.....at the time of deposit, I met two very friendly people working for Sandloka - Jane and Glynn. They were very good at keeping in touch initially. I made sure to get the funds for deposit transferred from my bank in UK, before returning to Canada. It's amazing, they were wonderful at keeping in touch...for a while. In fact, at one point, I had a call in Canada, from Glynn asking if I had paid the money, because they needed to get paid. There might have been a few emails from Jane after that, and she did even come here on the Forum one or two times. Then, they both disappeared back to their home in Spain! I believe they and Frank of Sandloka are neighbours.

Jane said they would probably be back in Calabria at the time I was there to complete, but they weren't'. Instead, there was a young Irish couple, who I believe were purchasing at the Amalfi apartments. We kept in touch for a while, but the last time I was in Tropea, April/May 2009, Sandloka was nowhere around. Their office appeared closed.

I reckon I was lucky to have at least chosen a house that was almost completed and where the builder had no issues around completion. However, I have had numerous serious questions which needed answers in English [ keys, utilities, etc. but there was no follow-up support from Sandloka, as originally promised.

What a way to conduct business! Shame on Sandloka.

If I were to enquire, I know I could find out what is going on with them. Quite frankly, I don't want to know. But, I believe those living in Calabria will know exactly what it is all about.

One big drawback with buying in Calabria is the lack of English-speaking individuals ''on the ground" to assist absent buyers. The young people in Calabria are now learning English in Schools and I am sure in 10-15 years from now, perhaps earlier, it will be much easier buying in Calabria. Because right now, one of the most difficult issues is the language barrier.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 10:43 am 

Hi All

As you know ive also pulled out of this development, and have tried to get my deposit back…should have learned my lesson when my original deposit was down on their “Tropea Palace” development and that was ceased by the police!..I seem to remember the full planning permission line being used at the time on that one too

Bottom line from Frank was -im not getting my deposit back as “I am choosing to pull out”,even though the completion date as per the reservation contract says 2009…at the latest.. – I could go on all day….

anyway - here are some details incase they might help anyone get sorted with Sandloka

Below are the contact details I have for Frank

fpapini@sandloka.com
0034 678422248

I also emailed bellavista to see what the story is as they seem to be selling Stromboli views now, a person by the name of Galia 0393285350829 seems to be looking after it. I havent called yet – going to try to see if they can explain what is happening

Report this post
PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 1:32 pm 

long term/indefinite!...
Im just waiting to see if Obama gets elected, im sure it will be covered in the news section of this website.....

Report this post
PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 3:41 pm 

Niall
The email address you have for Frank is the same one I have but for some strange reason he ignores and more probably deletes my messages.

This whole Sandloka deal is a complete sham. The website hasn't changed for ages so one can only presume they have gone.

Does any one know if Sandloka kept our reservation fees or did the developer get hold of any of it?

Maybe that might be different road to go down. I also wonder if international property exhibitions should be made aware of the dealings that are going on with this company!!

Report this post
PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 10:22 pm 

Your totally right mish, they/Frank is a total conman, he was trying to get me to give the next installment for stromboli during february. He even told me jane sends her regards!...even though i knew she had gone at the time.

He now ignores my email too - the website is a sham, i think he tries to use it to keep an appearance that the company exists - just until amalfi buyers pay him .

I dont know what happened, but my guess is that things went wrong along the way and Frank is pulling out and all he cares about is getting paid in some way for his troubles..regardless of what lies he told customers

Not one person seems to be buying at stromboli, out of all the developments...even before things went wrong - it was a bit weird as so few people seemed to be stromboli purchasers..

Anyway, if you have any ideas on how to pursue this just pm me and i will gladly support

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 1:25 am 

Niall Neasy wrote:
Not one person seems to be buying at stromboli, out of all the developments...even before things went wrong - it was a bit weird as so few people seemed to be stromboli purchasers..

I too found this a bit odd.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 1:34 am 

Has anyone got a photo of 'him'? (you know who). Just thought you could put up some Wanted posters, in Italian, around Tropea...... Not that he is probably there but it will make the locals start talking....and someone will have his forwarding details.......

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 11:21 am 

good idea

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 11:32 am 

Great Idea, Im totally on for it….I will make it my lifes mission to pursue this until our deposits are returned.

I also googled sandloka and found they files a return under a UK address on July 7th 2009, might get a copy of the report

http://www.ukdata.com/company-credit-re ... MITED.html

The address is in Surrey, I wonder if Frank is his real name at all..anyone from Surrey that might know this building?

CURZON HOUSE
24 HIGH STREET
BANSTEAD
SURREY
SM7 2LJ

Please PM me if you are affected by Sandloka and want your deposit back

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 11:51 am 

Dear Niall
I want to say we stand with you :D
Justice should be executed and thieves who steal our life savings from honest work should not be allowed to escape :evil:
It is terrible what has happened to some people especially those who have paid 50 k and have nothing to show and no guarentee of getting their money back we need to help prevent this happening to others by exposing and dealing with the perpertrators of the crime . :mrgreen:
I hope it will be stopped soon and those mis treated get their money back.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 12:02 pm 

Thanks for that
It really distgusts me what people have been put through. I know my money is tiny compared to others. I really do feel for those with large deposots paid - especially right now when times are so tough. It the principle of the whole thing that gets me, and I refuse to let it go. I will make it my hobbie to track down any part of Franks handy work wherever he is or goes - and make people ware of his “deals” . (Yes, im bitter, but something about channeling anger and all that!)

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 12:10 pm 

Righteous anger is okay :x :evil: and it is not wrong to expose fraud :twisted: it is right and will help to protect others.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 12:42 pm 

"Righteous Anger"....i love that word...It deserves a title heading...it can be the new therapy section for us all to bitch and moan!..i feel a civil movement coming on me!...

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 4:18 pm 

Please don't tell me anyone has given Sandloka 50K????

Report this post
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 5:34 pm 

Has anyone spoken to Michele Menato/Claudio Minasi at IPLC re Sandloka - they were their recommended lawyers and might know the whereabouts of 'Frank'

Report this post
PostPosted: July 11th, 2009, 10:58 am 

Good idea re contacting the lawyers.

Report this post
PostPosted: July 11th, 2009, 1:31 pm 

Thanks for the info in the PM Mrs Teapot.
Might prove useful
Mish

Report this post
PostPosted: July 28th, 2009, 1:18 pm 

I see Sandloka's website has gone!!! Not surprising really.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 10th, 2009, 2:51 pm 

So from that I presume he has done a runner then? :evil:

Report this post
PostPosted: August 10th, 2009, 3:17 pm 

I spoke with Frank in july he was in Tropea and asked me to tell people he is available by phone and willing to talk to clients about the situation
his telephone no is 3466943724 although I have to confess I have tried to email and ring since I returned home with no success so Frank if you are out there let people know how you can be contacted
pamela

Report this post
PostPosted: August 10th, 2009, 8:08 pm 

Lavender wrote:
Has anyone spoken to Michele Menato/Claudio Minasi at IPLC re Sandloka - they were their recommended lawyers and might know the whereabouts of 'Frank'

In truth..I think they recommended just about anyone...to be seen to be seen. And, not just these two individuals.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 10th, 2009, 8:24 pm 

today received e-mail from our solicitor saying building work will start within 6 months, sounds familiar, heard this kind of talk for the last 3 years.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 11th, 2009, 12:09 pm 
For those of you who are trying to trace Frank, I found an address after a cursery search for owner of the domain name sandloka.com. I hope it helps.

Papini, Francesco c.clancy@virgin.net
1 Maravilla Hills Profesor Santiago Rey
Benalmadena, Malaga 29630
ES
+34.34034952961562 Fax: +44.1419316401
(possibly 0034 952 961 562)

Francesco Papini
ES

Domain name: SANDLOKA.COM

Report this post

PostPosted: August 11th, 2009, 8:29 pm 
For some strange reason it seems a large percentage of these companies that do a disappearing act originate or come from Spain MRI, MEDSEA and now this outfit.

Report this post

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 12:23 pm 
Reposting because it has slipped down the page and I know some people are still looking for their money from Frank.

For those of you who are trying to trace Frank, I found an address after a cursery search for owner of the domain name sandloka.com. I hope it helps.

Papini, Francesco c.clancy@virgin.net
ES
+34.34034952961562 Fax: +44.1419316401
(possibly 0034 952 961 562)

Francesco Papini
ES

Domain name: SANDLOKA.COM

Report this post

PostPosted: August 24th, 2009, 8:59 pm 

we will be in tropea next week chasing our deposit, does anyone have mr mondellas phone no. and address. any info much appreciated.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 10:42 pm 

Just recently returned from Capo Vaticano / Tropea.
The office Sandloka had towards the bottom of the Corso Vittoria Emmanuele next to Max's bar has re-opened. It appears to be a different company, at least it has a different name. I left their business card in the apartment and cannot recall it's name.
They are marketing a number of properties on the west coast. The model of Stromboli Views is still in the office and they did say that it will be going ahead at some stage. I registered with them so that they will inform me of any progress on this development. As you have guessed the Stromboli Views site is the same as it has been this past year.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 1:40 pm 

davidnam wrote:
Just recently returned from Capo Vaticano / Tropea.
The office Sandloka had towards the bottom of the Corso Vittoria Emmanuele next to Max's bar has re-opened. It appears to be a different company, at least it has a different name. I left their business card in the apartment and cannot recall it's name.
They are marketing a number of properties on the west coast. The model of Stromboli Views is still in the office and they did say that it will be going ahead at some stage. I registered with them so that they will inform me of any progress on this development. As you have guessed the Stromboli Views site is the same as it has been this past year.

David
Is the new company Bella Vista? If so they are a company owned by the actual builder of Stromboli views. Their adress on their website was always the same as Sandlokas.
Below is a post from forum member MISH posted this very interesting info some time ago:-

My solicitor has clarified who Bella Vista are.
The builder, Mr Antonio Mondella, has incorporated a new company 'Bella Vista S.r.l. for the Stromboli Views project. My solicitor has done a search on the company and seem happy with them.
They also say Sandloka is the agent who has recieved the mandate to promote the marketing and sale of various residential complexes of the builder.
So basically, its what you said Trigger.
I think we all realise its going to be a slow process, but its nice to know who we are giving our life savings to.
Keep in touch guys

They did have a website:- http://www.bellavista-calabria.com/

But it seems to have gone offline!!!

Tyke ( ps. i cancelled last year :x )

Report this post
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 7:27 pm 

Hi Tyke2,
It wasn't Bella Vista but it appeared to be an Italian Company.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 6:33 pm 

Hi Tyke2,
Found the business card of the Agenzia Immobiliare that are now in the former Sandloka office on the Corso Vittoria Emanuele.
The name of the company appears to be Live In Calabria. Their email address is liveincalabria@libero.it
I do not think they appear to be associated with Bella Vista.
It may be that they are a new Estate Agency and are prepared to market Stromboli Views. They didn't appear to know much about this development.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 9:35 pm 

Hi David

It all sounds a bit too cosy to me :?

Tyke

Report this post