A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 11:52 am 

hi all, i just received is email today from calabria and it will be of concern to all santa venere purchasers, i have sent it on to the solicitors and to prendocasa to clarify the situation, but surely the solicitors would have ensured every thing was legal before allowing contracts to be signed.

Hi

Hope all is well, just a quick question, has your brother in law bought in the Santa Venere development. We had a client come to the office to say there was a sign on the front to say that the goverment have stopped construction of illegal building grounds. I hope this is not his development but if it is i will be happy to send you the photos of the sign.

I will try and check myself to see if it is the correct development this week.

Hope its wrong.

Speak soon.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: santa venere
PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 12:24 pm 
i sincerely hope this is not the case,i saw photos in the paper of a couple developments where this has happened but did not recognise one as being Santa Venere,can you request the photo urgently or if someone is over that way today get another photo and see whats going on.it may be miss information where did the report come from.

Report this post

PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 2:20 pm 

hi stilo , it came from paul at calabrin invest in pizzo

Report this post
PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 6:03 pm 

Hi
I received an e-mail from my solicitor stating that work has stopped on the development on thursday due to investigation by Italian authorities. They suspect that the building license was illegally granted by the Town Hall.
They are making inquiries to as to what is the exact situation.

They also confirm money paid is safely covered by an insurance policy ....how safe!!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 11:10 am 

stilo wrote:
I saw photos in the paper of a couple developments where this has happened but did not recognise one as being Santa Venere

Hi Stilo, did you recognise any of the other developments?? Do we have any idea how many developments are affected by the planning permission procedures??

Report this post
PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 12:40 pm 

i have just received the same email as tess, as i was concerned about the permission granted to other developments especially ours i queried this also but got no response on that.

but i heard that apparently plans were granted legally but it turns out the area being built on is a flood plain(surely this would have been known anyway) and this flooded a couple months after work began, the builders then corrected this so that it couldnt happen again. but who knows?

i dont think they would be to fussed if it all stopped and they got their money back as they would make about 6k on the exchange rate.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 4:04 pm 

Yes I too wondered if this area would flood as it is low lying.

As things go I don't think I'm fussed either if it all stopped & I got my money back but I stand to lose with exchange rate though if thats all I lost I would be happy enough.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 10th, 2009, 9:05 pm 

i recieved this earlier from prendocasa,but it was meant to go to someone else?

[color=#0000FF]Yes, I have the information on Santa Venere and it is not as the solicitors have explained to you.

The works have been suspended temporary on the site in oder to investigate if there were any risks of the flood in that area.

The state is paying lots of attention after a big flood caused by a heavy rain in Vibo Marina in 2006.

The building works will be continued as soon as the investigation is finished. So far I can't tell you if there will be any delays on the completion of works as we are waiting for the official confirmation from the developer.

I will keep you informed anyway and for the moment I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. [/color]

not sure what to make of it, i would ask if they were concerned about the risk of flooding from back in 2006 then why was this not fully investigated before building started?, rather than waiting a few months before completion is due.

we will just have to wait and see what the solicitors come back with. hopefully this be a get out for those who wish to.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 12th, 2009, 2:01 pm 

ok, i have spoken to another buyer in this development who was in contact directly with mri and asked them directly what was happening with the development and it is DEAD AND WILL NOT BE COMPLETED.

now they have arranged a face to face meeting with him in belfast next friday at 4pm , undoubtedly to try and get him to move to another development.

he has spoke to the solicitor also (i am waiting for them to phone me) and apparently when we pay 30% the builder has to pay 30% into the same account(escro?) and as the building wont be completed then this all belongs to the purchaser. now as there are 150+ units in this development this os alot of money the builder will lose and could finish him, so the next thing to do will be to see what other development he is involved in.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 12th, 2009, 2:08 pm 

just a quick update from the solicitors ,so more details will follow on from them tomorrow hopefully.

Der Sir,

I will you send you like to all the other buyers my legal report within today and Tomorrow. I appreciate your concern and your search of further information. But which version in your opinion is the more lily to be true, mine the lawyer acting on the ground on your behalf, the one of Prendocasa the intermediary working closely with the developer and willing to present things on their better appearance or the one of MRI who has no idea whatsoever of what is going on here and who is getting his information trough me.

You will understand that in order to sort out this matter as quickly as possible, I have no time to comment everyone version of the story.

Regards

Report this post
PostPosted: February 12th, 2009, 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

This is awful. How many people on the forum were buying here? Can you all team up and act as one group to try and get your money back if this is, in fact, what's happening?

As always, any help/advice we can provide, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sam

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 10:22 am 

Hi

Thanks Grodog for your information its great someone is well informed I've had a e-mail from MRI informing me of the suitation nothing else.

How do we get our money back and will it be a long drawn out process?

Tess

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 10:59 am 

as my previous message said the solicitors are meant to be sending everyone a legal report today so we will wait and see what it says. but i would imagine that it could take quite a while to sort everything out ,12-18months?

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 11:15 am 

can I suggest that ALL the proposed purchasers made themselves known to two forum members who would collate a list of everyone, this may mean tracking down any other forums out there, and have a skype/conference call with each other/round email/robin activity on one or two nights and make a collective decision on the routes open to you when you have received the advice from the solicitor? That is if it is bad news.
With numbers you have strength, some will want their money back others to move to another development, if one is available. But back one another up and may be Lavender can point you in the right direction about the complaints procedure if necessary.
This is not a time for the readers of this thread who have not joined, purchasing here or any other development, to just continue to watch this forum but should join in and help yourselves get the result you want for a number of reasons which become self evident when reading the threads.
With unity comes strength,
Off the soap box and back to sorting house, and damaged car.
I need sympathy a Parcel Force van pinned me against a hedge yesterday and I could not get out for 15 mins, now have a deep scratch 2/3 of length of the blue volvo we take to Italy! I am shaken and a bit stirredfortunately I w as stationery he kept coming with black smoke coming from his wheels. It could have been alot worse if I had caught fire I could not have got out....

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Good advice Ionian and I'm glad you're ok after your frightening run-in.

Incidents like that tend to remind you that life is indeed too short, so it pays to make the most of every minute and not to take any nonsense (That was going to be a more descriptive word but I figured I couldn't really 'moderate' myself :wink: ) from anyone.

Sam

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 12:01 pm 

Sorry to hear of the news about Santa Venere. I think Ionian is right, when you have the legal report and if there is a need you should form and act as a group because the sharing of information between yourselves can be of crucial importance. Maybe MRI would be willing to contact the buyers on your behalf?

Whether you can formally act as a group though is difficult to say as you are individual clients who would have received individual advice but it is much easier for the lawyers to communicate with each of you if you can pose the relevant questions together and then discuss the answers amongst yourself.

I don't know the number of buyers affected but you may be able to set up your own private forum to discuss the issues as it is not necessarily in your interests to have your discussions read by all and sundry. Communicating in large groups by email is very difficult particularly when you have new people joining the group.

If you have got complaints, you will only be able to get help from the UK regulatory authorities if you engaged a solicitor in the UK which doesn't appear to be the case for most of you.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 5:03 pm 

Came across forum whilst searching for update on Sana Venere.

I've spoken to MRI re Santa Venere today and also been advised that development has stopped and will not restart. Developer is been investigated for fraud relating to building warrant for this site.

MRI spokeman advised deposit covered by insurance however as developer is subject to fraud investigation payout maybe contested.

I'm waiting on meeting with MRI to discuss options.

I would be interested to hear what MRI are suggesting as "options"

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 5:32 pm 

Ionian wrote:
But back one another up and may be Lavender can point you in the right direction about the complaints procedure if necessary.

I tried the complaints procedure this morning with LCS regarding a certain law firm, what a waste of time and effort that was.
You have to have exhausted all avenues before they will act, so if a certain law firm ignore all your contact and correspondence, that is still not classed as sufficient for them to act.
So good luck!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 6:00 pm 

Hi Howard, you can only complain to the LCS 28 days after you have lodged a formal complaint with the firm, or sooner if you have received an unsatisfactory response. Have you lodged a formal complaint against the firm for what has happened to you?

Ring the helpline back and get their booklet "Can we help" which will explain the system and what help you are entitled to or you can read the details on their website at www.legalcomplaints.org.uk.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 13th, 2009, 7:54 pm 

fraze wrote:
Came across forum whilst searching for update on Sana Venere.

I've spoken to MRI re Santa Venere today and also been advised that development has stopped and will not restart. Developer is been investigated for fraud relating to building warrant for this site.

MRI spokeman advised deposit covered by insurance however as developer is subject to fraud investigation payout maybe contested.

I'm waiting on meeting with MRI to discuss options.

I would be interested to hear what MRI are suggesting as "options"

hi frase and welcome to the site, i spoke to the guy i mentioned previous who has a meeting next friday with MRI and guess whit is coming over to meet him? none other than DARRAGH MCANTHONY, i have no idea what they are up to but apparently they will meet all santa venere customers individually :?: , i told him about the forum so hopefully he will join us shortly and let us know what happens.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 14th, 2009, 8:44 pm 

Attachment:
Santa-venere-sequestro.jpg
Santa-venere-sequestro.jpg [ 38.69 KiB | Viewed 4777 times ]

I got this photo of the sign at the development and the translation is as follows (if google translator is correct)

property subject to seizure under Article 321 bis cpp c.3 in criminal proceedings no 3026/2008 RGNR mod. 21 pending at the prosecutor's office in the court of Vibo Valentia

Report this post
PostPosted: February 15th, 2009, 7:52 pm 

Hello all, Only just found this forum. I thought everything was going well with this build and then a couple of days ago I got the bombshell that all was not as rosy as it appeared!! :(

Has anyone actually had an official update from MRI about the project?

Has anyone been given a list of options open to us i.e. taking our money out, how long the legal process is likely to take if we want to go ahead etc

Thanks

Neathpete

Report this post
PostPosted: February 15th, 2009, 10:18 pm 

i wouldnt be relying on anything from mri, it is nothing to do with them. they were just the selling agents for the property and probably got their commission from the sale of the properties.

i may be wrong but i would imagine the only reason they are meeting with people is to try and get them to change to other developments they cant sell. you have to ask yourselve a major question. why are the meetings being set up individually rather than hiring a room and getting everyone in at the same time.

but i suppose we will see what happens when the solicitors send out their report.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 18th, 2009, 11:58 am 

i received a copy of the solicitors report this morning, i think all purchasers in santa venere received it, if anyone hasnt i can forward it to them as it is too long to post on here.

but it can be summarised in that a decision will be taken by 26th march which will result in 1 of 3 things happening:

1. the sealing of the complex is confirmed by the court, this will mean building will not take place and they will start recovering deposits from the insurance policy.

2. sealing is overrulled but the town hall appeal decision, this is meant to be the most unlikely event , but could take up to a year to sort out if it did happen and the buyer can get his mony back as in point 1 or wait for final decison.

3. sealing is overrulled and not appealled so the builder can start work the next day. the builder says he can complete in time (end of june, but from where the site is at the minute i think this is unlikely), if he doesnt complete on time then you can cancel due to default of the developer and claim the money back.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 18th, 2009, 12:55 pm 

This situation seems to be identical to what we are experiencing with La Marinate - ie an email from the solicitor telling us that the land licence has been granted illegally and so the developer is now going through legal process.

My husband and I did meet with MRI Fri (after a last minute call from them inviting us to Stanstead). The meeting was as we predicted before we arrived ie disappointing. Macanthony appeared to shake hands on arrival then left us with his talkative staff. After showing us a letter from the solicitors (which was in our inbox by the time we got home) their aim was to sell us a property in the Silver Coast (Portugal) They claimed to offering discount given our 'trouble' which (surprise surprise) would make it the same price as our Calabrian investment. They seemd to think we would make a decision there and then.

When pushed they denied advising Calabria was completely dead but definitely wanted us to beleive this would be the case (from their epxerience etc) so we should invest in their alternative property. They did admit to closing their office down in Calabria and were making out they had no reason to continue.

My husband pointed out we are not doing anything until the position in Calabria is resolved! We would only then decided what next (and it wouldn't be with MRI if we do progress!)

We've also received an email from them re Prendacase and no reply to my email asking for clarity given this is the estate agent nmaed on the contract!

What a fun life!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 18th, 2009, 1:11 pm 

hi mrsg53, your meeting with mri i just what i anticipated and forecast over the past couple of weeks.

also i think people are alot more clever now than perhaps a couple of years ago when decisions may have been made there and then. and i think forums like this are a reason for that in that we all have more knowledge now.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 12:29 am 
Site Admin

Hi all,

Just wanted to post a message to say I'm so sorry for everything you seem to be going through at Santa Venere and, potentially, Le Marinate. It makes me so mad that a 'few' people (Those who can not be named) can wreak such havoc and potentially destroy so many people's dreams.

Please don't give up on Calabria though - everything that first appealed to you, whether that was the climate, the people, the laid-back lifestyle, beautiful countryside, affordable property etc STILL applies. It really does.

Keep your chins up Forum Members! And, yes, as previously advised, there is greater power/safety in numbers so team up, kick up a stink, make a noise and make sure these people don't get away with it.

If you need/would like us to set up a separate, Private thread for SV/LM purchasers, let me know and I'll see what we can do. At least then you will have somewhere central and safe to discuss strategies/progress etc.

Sam
x

Report this post
PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 1:44 pm 

We are going across to Calabria on the 3rd March it was already organised before it all blew up. I would like you set up another thread for people who are in a pickle like me. The other point that I want to make is wether or not would you by a property that is built on a flood plane !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Pete

:oops:

Report this post
PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 5:15 pm 

Hi Pete,

I am not sure I understand your point, but feel free to create another topic!

Ciao,

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 19th, 2009, 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

New thread/topic h/w!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 20th, 2009, 10:09 am 

Hi

Hope we can update each other on this thread more people should add to it.

Not much we can do till the end of March does any really know if this project is dead. Will there be any problem getting deposit back due to not been finished on time though we will still lose out due to Euro rate.

Next time I go out to Calabria it will be to rent I have not been put off it is still a beautiful place there will be lots of place to rent!

Report this post
PostPosted: March 13th, 2009, 7:11 pm 

anyone notice santa venere and marinate currently being offered for sale on www.goldenchoiceproperties.com, do they know something we don't???

Report this post
PostPosted: March 15th, 2009, 2:44 pm 
More likely the other way around. there is certainly quite a large number of properties that sould not currently appear on that website or else it is now defunct.They must have been partnering MRI at some time as many of there developments come from that company whose website has recently changed yet again.

Report this post

PostPosted: March 15th, 2009, 5:33 pm 

How truly sorry I was to hear all this news. I shall read with interest the situation (without butting in, so you can work together on this). What about the bank guarantees? Do they even cover this type of situation I wonder. It always seems to be hard to get at the truth when you are dealing with local government or the the legal system. I honestly wonder if it does not have something to do with the legalities around location and beach location. They did pass laws at some point preventing building on the beaches didn't they? Considering the heavy rainfall in Calabria and other parts of Italy (remember Rome?) it would not surprise me, if they had to rethink this one. It could be all about safety....I hope so.

I wish you all the very best with this. There are and will be other places to purchase in Calabria and it might be easier and less worrisome, to work to getting your money back first, then moving on. Is it possible also that, if you can secure a return of your deposits, it's likely you can save on the reduced prices of some other development?

Report this post
PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 6:24 pm 

hi all santa venereans , i have just posted message in relation to la marinate which i know is being built by the same builder . i have just returned from meeting with MRI directors in dublin. They really want to wash their hands of this matter now and they believe that these dev. will not complete . as a damage limitation exercise they offered us a parachute of transfering 40k of our 70k to a portuguese dev. THey believe that the insurers (bank guarantee) are faceing a huge payout and are very determined to find a getout clause . I was told by lawyer that local authority and builder had court date set for 20th mar. to get a ruling on the planning permit , with another 5 days allowed in which appeals can be lodged . so , 26th mar. should be the date by which all involved should know the next action . MRI believe this is not going to happen and that this whole fiasco is much darker than being led to believe . by the way , that offer from MRI was a price reduction on a new investment , new contract , oh , and 50k+ on signing .

Report this post
PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 7:38 pm 

i wont believe a word MRI are telling you as they obviously want you to buy in this portugese development that they cannot sell otherwise. they are trying to meet one on one with everyone from santa venere and la marinate so they can try and maximise the transfers ( if they were so concerned about the clients then why not meet everyone together?)

at this time i would rather take the words of the solicitors and wait and see what happens, did you get the legal report they sent a few weeks ago?

Report this post
PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 7:47 pm 

hi grogdog , went to meeting with eyes wide open , knew what was coming , and yes u right , best wait for update frm lawyers . I got that report and was on phone to lawyers . are you using MARTINEZECHEVERRIA solicitors ?

Report this post
PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 8:04 pm 

yeah same solicitor catherine is the one who appears to respond quickly.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 12:46 pm 

for all those who met MRI and were told about the insurance being null and void i have this repsonse from the solicitors which i prefer to believe.

part of the message i sent them, this was taken from this site.

Hi, I assume people have heard that the devlopment was sequested by the police and that all building works have stopped due to the illegal licencing of the building licence. MRI came to dublin this week to inform investors here that the insurance policy covering the 30% deposit has been rendered null and void by the insurance company, and thus the deposit is effectively gone. They then tired to sell off their development in Portugal and told us that they would credit the monies paid for santa venere against the purchase price in portugal. Has anyone else heard this? or had meetings with MRI? Please contact me asap.

reply form solicitor

Dear sir,

My position is the following. MRI is getting all their information trough me, as far as I am aware they have been in touch even once with the developer nor the insurance company in relation to this, therefore I do not understand where are they getting these assumptions from. I believe that there telling you and the other clients what is the most convenient for them at this stage to have the most people swap in their own development.

Please note that their offer seem an interesting deal that could be seriously considered by you as an alternative option, but the information given by them to you to justify this alternative are simply false as I never gave them such pessimistic opinion.

Regarding the deposit, At this stage it stills covered by the insurance. This will not be the case only if the court is considering that the developer acted illegally with intention. But it is not the case, or from all the elements I have, it do not seem the case. The situation is only an administrative dispute on whether the town hall should have deliver this license, Therefore the insurance policy is covering such risk.

Should the insurance was finally refusing to cover this pretending of any intentional illegal activity of the developer, the refund would not be automatically made by the insurance but would have enforce in court to the developer.

Anyway, we should know more about the decision within the end of next week

Report this post
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 2:46 pm 

I wished the lawyer did not write like a (grog)dog ;-).

Good news nonetheless - in line with what we know and would expect.

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 2:54 pm 

as english probably isnt his first language it not a bad effort, lets hope he stays of the grog until this is all sorted. :)

Report this post
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 6:27 pm 

Hi gang, I'm really please to see so many people using this forum. Firstly, I would like to say to anyone considering MRI option to buy in portugal, that at present the devloper is not in breach of contract and thus any deal you make with MRI now will not release you from your contract in Santa Venere (personal opinion). MRI have their own agenda and nothing else don't believe a word that comes out of their mouth. Once we have a decision, i am issuing the director's of MRI with a very detailed review of what was said in the meeting and i will c.c. in the lawyer. I think MRI came to Dublin thinking us Irish were a dumb pack of Muppets, we'll see who has the last laugh!! :lol: Got to go will check back in later.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 8:54 pm 

We are playing the Green Muppets on Saturday in the Millenium Stadium...
Come on the Red Muppets - an easy win by 13+ points to retain our trophy!

(Off topic - apologies... :roll: )

Report this post
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 9:09 pm 

That can't happen, we've waited since 1948! 2009 is our year!

Report this post
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 3:54 pm 

isnt MRI is owned by an irish muppet im ashamed to say :( ????????
come on the greens,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 4:57 pm 

GROGDOG wrote:
as english probably isnt his first language it not a bad effort, lets hope he stays of the grog until this is all sorted. :)

Thanks for filling me in on what a "grog dog" is! True, second language can be tougher when it comes to writing. I'd be more concerned with the omission of the word "not" more than anything else. Of course, it can mean the total opposite.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 7:32 pm 

We bought at Le Marinate, and have been offered a one to one meeting with
MRI in London next Sat. If they are meeting everyone one to one then it seems that they are taking it very seriously. Are they worried about being sued for selling a property without making sure that the necessary building licence was in place? Why would they be going to such lengths otherwise?

Report this post
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 10:44 pm 

Congratulations Green Muppets! Well done Irish.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2009, 1:14 am 

Check out other posts on different threads, it seems they are just trying to sell you Portugal, be aware!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: March 27th, 2009, 7:39 pm 

Ok guys this again is a wisper from the street but I guess some news is better then nothing. After a meeting of all parties concerned the matter has been put back four weeks to April 28th to allow time for all to gather all info so not to make a knee jerk decision. It will effect the complition date I can imagine but at least it's not a no!. Good luck

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next