A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Want Help....read this!
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 2:02 pm 

Hi all,
Ive been reading these threads for donkeys now and have decided to bite the bullet so to speak.So now Ive registered,and here we are.
Now I'm a Englishman that's lived here in Calabria for 5 yrs and i feel that there's alot of you that could do with some impartial help,pointers,views on living/moving down here,i know Ive been in your position and there are many,many pitfalls...But in general life here is Great!
Now Mr/Mrs Moderator please don't delete this as i'm not out to profit or advertise, just to help,(I'm retired and have no need to profit from this.)
So my friends i offer you my experiance,so if you have have a query or want some advise on absolutely anything,then send me a PM or if you wish post up and ill do my utmost to help you.

Best regards.
Mark.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 2:15 pm 

hello Mark,
Thanks for your offer of help, where abouts are you ? The only thing I could do with is do you know of any reasonable car hire firms around the east coast area other than the ones at the airport that have your trousers down and spank your backside when you try to hire a vehicle.

Many Thanks
Wrighty

Report this post
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 2:37 pm 

Wrighty,
Yer bang on mate with the spanking bit.
Im afraid that they listen to you speak and go into..."lets sting him mode" and that applies to alot of companys down here.
Best bet,book before you fly and pay up front in the uk and take no crap from the agent down here if he starts with you gotta pay for this/that...Pah hes pulling a fast one.
Lots of people think it will be cheaper when they get here..its not,full stop,unless your a "fool and his money easy part" type,then fare play,crack on they will love you.

Regards
Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 3:06 pm 

Welcome Mark, very glad you decided to bite the bullet and join in. You have a wealth of experience that a lot of members will no doubt take you up on your offer of help.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 5:45 pm 

Yes, welcome Mark. And, that's a welcome comment.....you know exactly what we need! It's those little things that others feel are unimportant that are the real thorns in our side with this home buying.

I have to agree with Mark Wrighty, book before you get there. I always book on-line through AutoEurop.co.uk (even though I am in Canada) and it's the cheapest rate I have ever found...much cheaper, but not cheap, if you know what I mean!

No money changes hands at Lamezia, so you know what you pay - no extras.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 9:21 pm 

I do book in advance, I have used europe car, sixt etc etc and they are far more expensive than the likes of spain, greece etc, is it just the fact that they see the British as a big fat cash cow and think yep i'll have a bit of that
:(

Report this post
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 9:25 pm 

hi anyone know of availability on san rocco for 3rd till 5th july for two people or near abouts.
thanks Sue

Report this post
PostPosted: June 16th, 2009, 1:21 pm 

Hello there, not on san rocco but just round the corner at Isca Marina residential, we have those dates free at the moment, drop me a pm for details, you can go to www.iscabeachrental.com

cheers
Wrighty

Report this post
PostPosted: June 16th, 2009, 1:41 pm 

Hi Sueb

Check out Ionian Property Services new website on property rentals.
There are 3 San Rocco appartments to let.

Dreamer.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 16th, 2009, 5:50 pm 

wrighty wrote:
I do book in advance, I have used europe car, sixt etc etc and they are far more expensive than the likes of spain, greece etc, is it just the fact that they see the British as a big fat cash cow and think yep i'll have a bit of that
:(

Well, not sure if that's the case, they auto insurance is very high in Italy, so that's probably the reason it's more expensive than elsewhere. Having said that, I find UK is completely over-the-top, compared to what I pay in N. America. We paid well over 1000 GBP in Uk for a 2 week rental in 2005! with the cheapest rates at the time.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 16th, 2009, 5:52 pm 

P.S.: How the heck did the cost of car rentals get in with Mark's "welcome" post and offer to assist? :oops:

Report this post
PostPosted: June 16th, 2009, 7:06 pm 

Bleed-in Henry,this sites a nightmare..it keeps asking me for verification before i do everything,any cure for this?
Paul you PM,d me but it wont allow me to respond,so here's my MS Mail,gelitalia@hotmail.com,give me a shout and we can meet up and ill take ya through the car ins bit over a coffee as I'm near "Pizzo".
As for the car rental bit boys and girls,the cost of car ins here is dependant on the size of the car and even a little one is mega bucks.Trust me its better in the long run to book before ya turn up...or failing that get a chauffeur for the time your here...can work out cheaper than car hire,if ya know where to go.On saying that that's if you take into account the deposit on the rental and the size of the car your hiring,fuel,etc.
If any one wants info..Pm me on the above.

Cheers all
Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: June 17th, 2009, 6:46 am 

Hi Mark
Welcome to the forum.
Local knowledge is exactly what a number of us need in relation to what is going on in relation to the sealing of Le Marinate and SanVenere. The reports from lawyers to date in reality just give us a number of scenarios without any real feel for what is going on at the coal face. The Developer involed has a number of other developments and I was just wondering is everything going on as normal on those sites or is there any word at local level that he is in trouble.

Do you have any real feel for what is happening and if there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

Regards
Eoghan

Report this post
PostPosted: June 17th, 2009, 11:12 am 

Eoghan,
Well all i can say is it depends on your develpoer,i personaly bought a old property for 20grand and threw another 20 at it and done 95% of the work myself in the last five years and its now worth 110grand,so its horses for courses realy.
All i can say is that according to local press here a certain Emerald/italian developer down here has been in "BIG" trouble with the local authoratys and had one of there sites closed for building without planning permission,well to be fare they did have a form of permission just not the rite one (Back hander jobbie) and also the same developer has been another incarnation before its presant form it used to be called "somthing ending in "I" which is funny as the pheonix that arose from the ashes also ends in "I"...Just diffrent first two letters......strange that? I have meet many people that have bought from this company and 80% have had bad things to say about them but they all say the sales staff were great but overall the firm is a "money" grabber and fob people off alot and given the chance again they would have gone somwhere else...
TBF the building thats going on here is new and as with all things new, stuff gets "teething" problems,it just depends on "your" point of veiw as to wether its teething or a incopitence problem?
There are a few developers here and to be fare the most are good but as with every thing in life "One mans plesure is anothers nightmare".
As the saying goes "Ya pays yer money and takes yer chance".
Regards
Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: April 17th, 2012, 5:18 pm 

hi my name is christy byrne from dublin ireland.my wife geraldine and i put a deposit on an apartment in palmview calabria but it ran into problems and we can't get any infromation about the builder. anybody know anything about this.it's over three years.since we put down a deposit.

Report this post
PostPosted: April 18th, 2012, 9:17 pm 

christy byrne wrote:
hi my name is christy byrne from dublin ireland.my wife geraldine and i put a deposit on an apartment in palmview calabria but it ran into problems and we can't get any infromation about the builder. anybody know anything about this.it's over three years.since we put down a deposit.

Hello Christy,
I also brought at Palm View, if you pm me I'll share what info I have

Regards

Trevor

Report this post