A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: res amusa help
PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 9:44 pm 

Hi there,
My name is Joan and my husband is Barry Powderly. We live in Maynooth, Co. Kildare. Barry has been part of the chat forums in the past, however he has passed it over to me now. If anyone is willing to read and advise I would be thrilled.
We bought our apartment in 2007 with my sister and her husband. When I say bought I mean we paid the 50%. To cut a long story short and 3 children later we are now in that awkward situation of not knowing what to do and with no money!!
We came out to Calabria 2 years ago to meet with the builder and the solicitor. We hoped to negotiate a cheaper deal as a result of the delay in progress etc. Anyway that trip was wasteful to say the least.
Barry still receives the res amusa community emails and has a very mixed view on the situation as he hears the (mainly) positives and the negatives (such as the electricity turning off etc).
What I hoped to ask you is the following:
Are there still lots of problems with electricity?
Is there a management fee and how much?
Is the management company effective?
Any sign of the pool being completed/filled?
Is there a green area for children to play / adults to lounge?
Is there a bbq area?
After paying for the property what further costs are there, generally speaking, I don’t mean furniture here I mean kitchen, plumber etc?
How cheaply can you furnish it?
Is there somewhere nearby to buy cheap furnishings?
Do you know if getting a small mortgage in Calabria is a possibility?

Sorry to bother you with such a litany of questions. We just don’t know what to do. Obviously we don’t want to lose the money we already put in, but it’s more than that. We absolutely adore Calabria. I’m a secondary school Italian teacher in Lucan in Dublin. Italy and Italian is a huge part of my life and we’d love our children to experience a similar passion.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: res amusa help
PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 9:57 pm 

There are no more problems with the electricity than in any of the other European resorts; Spain/Greece/Portugal all suffer the same problems in peak holiday season. If there is any way of you moving heaven and earth in order to complete I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Even if you completed and waited a while before fitting and furnishing at least you won't have lost your 50% deposit. At the point completion you will have to pay for connection of the utilities, I can't remember the precise costs but when we completed we were advised to set aside about 7-10% of the purchase price to include basic fittings, furniture and kitchen.

A few folk who have experience of the financial world have told me that it is a good investment in the long term. So bite the bullet and go for it!!

Report this post
PostPosted: August 27th, 2012, 8:43 am 

Hello Joan,

Here are a few quick pointers and facts for you:

You may get an Italian mortgage, contact armandobechi.com or lifeinitaly.com (mentioning this site)

Connecting the utilities costs a few hundred euros

A furniture pack will cost around 5-6000 euro, Ikea Salerno is the nearest store to do it yourself. May be cheaper to select and collect furniture in the Ireland and have Billy take it down with his van.

Kitchens are cheaper in Italy, around 2000 for a nice one, about 1000 if you get one from the shopping centre Due Mari near the airport.

Best of luck, and please let us know how you get along,

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: August 30th, 2012, 9:21 pm 

Just to let you know it cost us 639.44 Euros for ENEL ( electricity connection)
Water etc was more
We have a detached house so maybe more for that than an appartment.

mags

Report this post
PostPosted: August 31st, 2012, 10:41 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
I was under the impression that Enel had a fixed charge for supplying and installing the meter but the cost can be variable depending on whether they have to lay the cable between the meter and the accommodation.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 10:39 pm 

That explains why our connection was so expensive. The ENEL meter is near to the street and we have a driveway up to our gates.
Just wish the meter was nearer to the house it would have saved us some money but as we have all realised everything comes with a price.

Thanks David once again you have explained things for us

mags

ps Look at my next post I know that you can help

Report this post
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2012, 12:16 pm 

hoderly
I JUST SENT YOU A PM HOPE YOU GOT IT

Report this post