A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Jewel of the Sea
PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 12:12 pm 

Oh no, so raging i missed the programme. wonder wll it show again.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 12:25 pm 

It's available on BBC iplayer for the next few days

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 5_11_2013/

Report this post
PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 5:46 pm 

Gracie We are in Calabria and have Sky so put in the sky number unfortunately it's Italian Sky and it was a blue channel!!

Switched off immediately in case we were charged!

Would have loved to watch the programme as feel for those who have bought at JOTS

Have said it lots of times but could have been us.

A summary of the programme would be great.

mx

Report this post
PostPosted: November 6th, 2013, 8:35 pm 

Synopsis as follows :

Basically the program confirmed that for an apartment costing 100.000Euros VFI or Harry Fitzsimons and Antonio Velardo received upfront commission of 30% ie 30,000Euros. It was inferred that the mafia were involved in the construction side of the project to enable them to launder drug money and also would have received the remaining 70% of the price of the apartments when completed. Fitzsimons and Velardo were alleged to be the backers of other companies involved in other projects but were not listed as directors. They reckon that they received Euro15million at least via their promotion of the project.

Fitzsimons and Velardo may argue that the project was self financing and not funded via the mafia because of the deposits they received as commission from each buyer and they only took advantage of the property feeding frenzy at that time. They will say that their involvement with the mafia was limited to giving them a kick back to keep them happy as a form of protection money. However the program looked into Harry Fitzsimons past and after serving time as an IRA bomber he progressed into the finance end of the organisation being involved in laundering IRA crime proceeds. Basically insinuating that he used this alleged expertise in Calabria. The case against them probably hinges on whether the Italian Cuppari is a mafia member which the authorities seem confident that this is the case.

Basically it is mannah from heaven for the Italian authorities in the battle against the mafia. The fact that Fitzsimons was linked to the IRA gives them maximum potential for publicity.

I myself met both of them when I visited Jewell of the Sea. Fitzsimons came across as someone with charisma and was very plausible. Velardo was over confident and less convincing. When I asked about the mafia I was told that it was not a worry and was all taken care of - whatever that meant. I am glad I decided to pull out with the loss of 3,000Euros but feel sorry for those who lost out more.

Currently Fitzsimons is in a Rome prison and in solitary confinement due to threats on his life. Velardo still at large. It will probably take 4 years for it to go through the Italian courts system.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 12:06 pm 

I too have not been able to watch it can can not access BBC i player to due to not living in England..

I have managed to find a bit on you tube.. I dont think it is all of the program as it is only 15 mins long..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1NR8WfCeA8

if anyone has a link to the whole program this would be very helpful.

Thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: November 7th, 2013, 6:01 pm 

Thanks for that Parkgate, much appreciated.

Like you we pulled out of one of VFI's developments and lost the 3000 Euros deposit but it could have been so much worse.

mags

Report this post
PostPosted: November 10th, 2013, 4:12 pm 

In 2007 I handed over or rather my solicitor handed over 50,000E to the builder of JOTS Mr Cuppari,I later found out that VFI (Valardo/Fitzsimons)' the agent' received 32,000E of this deposit. I am among hundreds of Irish and English buyers who used the same Italian Lawyer (whom we all trusted,as you do and because he was regulated by the SRA Eng) and lost our life savings. It is true to say that no one would have found themselves in this mess if they had not bought property from VFI or Medsea/Italian Connection or indeed the sub agents who sold the property to us, but they couldn’t have got away with this without this solicitor. He held himself out to be an expert in Property Law/Conveyancy and yet an Italian/Irish lay person would know that a cut of 33% to be handed to an agent was very wrong or suspect to say the least. The solicitor's advice should have been to recoup the 3000 reservation fees we initially paid to VFI which he did not advise because he was also instructed by them whilst claiming to be independent.
The IRA and the Mafia are criminal organisations and one would not intentionally get involved in any transaction associated with them but one does not or should not have the same fear engaging a solicitor. This to me is the most worrying and horrific outcome of this scam,not only does it effect people who were only trying to secure a little dream for their retirement (as I was) by purchasing in JOTS it exposes a bad apple in the legal profession and if ignored will have a devastating impact on our society.
Although this programme was focusing on Harry Fitzimons (VFI) I find it incredible that 'this solicitor' (the one whom without none of this could have happened) was not mentioned, in light of the fact that the solicitor Simon Chambers had pursued him for negligence in the N.I.courts for years resulting in Ms Adams and other N.I. buyers receiving "limited insurance compensation"......and the fact that in 09'/10' I enquired as to the possibility of suing VFI to be told they were ONLY the agent........now it is being put out they are solely responsible.......bizarre

Report this post
PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 2:14 pm 

Audrey 2010

I think there was a very good reason Giambrone was not mentioned in the documentary. You are no doubt aware that Simon Chambers reached an out of court settlement with Giambrone - on the steps outside the court in Belfast, on the morning of the hearing. There would have been gagging clauses and I am sure one of them was that Simon Chambers was prevented from any accusations against Giambrone in the press. BBC would have had to be extremely careful as a result.

Giambrone was absolutely a key figure in all this, and the absence of any mention of his name was very significant. In fact, in the conversation between Harry Fitzsimmons and Antonio Velardo, HF refers to a problem with their "friend" and AV replies "Friend? " HF says something along the lines "Our best best friend, for F***'s sake do I have to spell it out for you?! AV: You mean the one who pays us the money? The documentary said Italian police believe "friend" refers to Cuppari, but it would be equally plausible that this may refer to Giambrone, as he dished out millions to VFI from our ill-fated deposits.

How Giambrone has avoided arrest despite the ever clearer picture of his key role in this scandal is also something of a mystery to me, but perhaps the clock is ticking. The authorities are surely either gathering more evidence or he is being protected by people who are very powerful.

Last edited by Gracie on November 12th, 2013, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 11th, 2013, 7:05 pm 

Gracie,thank you for sharing your view,it is one that I have considered.... I guess my patience ran out,anger and frustration took over big time when it said in the documentary that the Italian police believe "friend" referred to Cuppari when I believed he was not "friend" or "the one who needs to give us the money" as stated by HF/AV.
Hopefully the clock is ticking

Report this post
PostPosted: November 17th, 2013, 9:08 pm 

Did those who were unfortunate enough to complete on JOTS listening to the buyer who wanted them to complete see this email sent by him to his chosen few back in 2010?. This email was sent back in 2010 to his chosen favourites at that time. Those that recently got their money back by litigation certainly managed to get hold of this email back in 2010. You will notice that this email was sent to a chosen few back in 2010 and predicted what was going to happen with JOTS . Perhaps there is a reason the person who chose to send this email demanded that it goes no further and it should be hidden from most of the the buyers of JOTS. Lets see if he can comment on the email he sent to his chosen few and fill in the blanks "*******".

"From: n*a*lej*h*son@*tin*ernet.c*m
To: *********************************************
CC: npr@liv*rp*ol.a*.u*
Subject: Meeting
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010
Good morning everyone. THIS GOES NO FURTHER PLEASE
I will try and summarise the meeting with ****

********************JOTS is ***** run and will be totally controlled by them and as such a very intimidating place to be. ******** was scared to go there and didn't want to be associated with any website and had already warned Ni*k Rh**** not to be etc.etc.etc. When BF were "negotiating" apparently ********** said "you don't negotiate with these ******" etc etc etc. I was gobsmacked and no-way is that going on the Forum. We all know the area and what goes on there but******painted a picture of a scary place to be. He even changed ************. I found all that *********.
-He had previously cited 2 breaches of contract. These turned out to be 1)*******and 2) Unreasonable **********. These however were not the reasons**********************************************.
******** was choosing to walk away from the contract because of what I said about the ******* and other concerns such as *** going to **********, ***/****not responding to queries from BF or ****************, BF not getting what they wanted on contract delays/changes, the apparent fact that ***** wanted to control all communal areas after completion which may mean extortionate maintenance charges, the fact that **** wanted to control rentals and furniture buying giving the impression of a "timeshare resort". Obviously I ***************.
-There are other reasons why ******and others have apparently chosen to pull away which in my opinion are more relevant and of general concern. These are potential valuation and obtaining mortgage difficulties, the ********* which has undoubtedly affected the value of our investment and the uncertainty of if/when this would recover. As I said these are issues which affect us all and each buyer has to make their own decision at completion time. Now that is BF.
-There are also planning and other legal issues which need clarification on but these are of course matters which can ************ was adamant that the resort was designated "tourist" only, preventing full time residency and generally restricting residency anyway. I was able to point out that the new build permits and the environmental report June'08 clearly refer to it as tourist/residential. ******* also claims that there is some restriction in the original planning application on selling the property within the first 5 years and that *** won't *********. I said that these papers would be public knowledge at the local/regional planning departments and that any solicitor worth his salt would have checked this out and could still do so without reference to ***. I heard much about how good *********was but pointed out that he should have done this when he first signed clients up as part of due diligence. ************
-Apparently the whole site is mortgaged.***********. Then as each apartment/area completes the Bank releases their charge on that part subject to that part of the mortgage being repaid. That is the only way that any solicitor/Notary can confirm you have free title**************** Otherwise he should be advising against completing or being sued. Again******.
************which immediately should mean all buyers walk away but there are points that we need to consider both individually and collectively. We all should have been doing that anyway.
I told ******** that I had heard nothing major or new and that I really didn't how to report this to the new Forum. I pointedly asked what******would do. He replied I should post that everyone should pull out and join a litigation group because the*************************************. So I said "basically then ******************"? The answer was yes because that gave *** and others the ****************. There are to his knowledge 2 current actions. One ********** ***He is convinced that the main site will never get built as is an Irish solicitor acting for the main litigation group of some 50 properties (not necessarily 50 buyers). *********************************************
So there you have it. Over to you! I have copied *i*k into this because quite frankly with all his sterling efforts on our behalf I feel he is a fully paid up member of the team.
N*a*e"

Wonder how many would have completed if they had this information back in 2010. Wonder how many buyers would have managed to recover their money if this email what sent to all the buyers back in July 2010. Why was this email not send to every buyer of JOTS?

Report this post
PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 5:17 pm 

Belle, that makes for a tough read. All those asterisks are not from my board, are they?

Report this post
PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 11:23 pm 

Last edited by bellesanchez51 on November 18th, 2013, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 11:29 pm 

Dennis Onstenk wrote:
Belle, that makes for a tough read. All those asterisks are not from my board, are they?

Hi Dennis
Was hoping the person who sent that original email would fill in the asterisks and come clean finally with an apology.
Just sent you a pm of the same email by getting rid of most of the asterisks. It should now make a lot more sense.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 25th, 2015, 6:00 pm 

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/dream-h ... iving-hell

Report this post
PostPosted: May 26th, 2015, 8:29 am 

Has the Judgment been handed down?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 1st, 2015, 8:43 pm 

Not yet, still waiting...

Report this post
PostPosted: June 4th, 2015, 10:05 pm 

Is this likely to affect the Palm View "development"?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 5th, 2015, 11:31 am 

The case was just to do with Jewel of the Sea as mentioned in this attachment. A number of out of court settlements have already been paid out to many JOTS buyers to stop court action, however the last group wanted full settlement and decided to go to court and fight.
http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/ ... -hell.html

Report this post
PostPosted: June 12th, 2015, 2:14 pm 

got the judgment yet?

Report this post
PostPosted: June 13th, 2015, 2:52 pm 

No, still waiting.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 15th, 2015, 3:12 pm 

has the Judge gone on his holidays? A bit naughty, but hopefully will tie it up really well so unappealable.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 8:41 am 

Jewel of the sea is very complex. It had promoters with previous links to a terrorist group walking away with 62% of the buyer’s deposit, A solicitor who was later stuck off from the register of European lawyers, An un elected buyer falsely claiming to be the buyer’s rep and a buyer’s forum working with the struck off solicitor and the alleged mob.
The solicitor is meant to protect buyers.
The case lasted a month and it is right that the judge is taking a very long time. Hopefully there should be some news in the next couple of months or so (Hopefully!).

Report this post
PostPosted: October 24th, 2015, 12:25 pm 

Don't know why this judgment had been removed. No more messing with the database, I promise.

http://high-court-justice.vlex.co.uk/vi ... -577149122

Report this post
PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 12:10 am 

Antonio Cuppari of RDV (builder of JOTS) has now been sentenced to 10 years in jail, while Harry Fitzsimmons and Antonio Velardo (the crooks who ran VFI) have been acquitted.

http://www.gazzettadelsud.it/news/reggi ... ianto.html

http://www.lentelocale.it/home/metropol ... imo-grado/

Google translate:
Locri (Reggio Calabria). The Court of Locri, Fulvio Accurso president, Domenico Croce and Mario La Rosa judges, delivered its judgment in the process that follows the Metropolis. The first instance, with the ordinary, concludes with three convictions and acquittals of rain. They were sentenced: Rocco Morabito, 7 years and 6 months imprisonment; Sebastiano Vottari, 3 years imprisonment; Antonio Cuppari, 10 years imprisonment. Acquitted instead: Sebastiano Strangio Sisto, Maria Rosa Sculli, Sagredo Jorge Pablo Lamberti Rocco Aquino, Fausto Ottavio Strangio, Bernal Diaz Domingo, Dominic Vallone, Francesco Arcadi, Domenico Antonio Muccari, Antonio Raimondo, Jonathan Posca, Generoso Scoppa, Mirarchi Francesco, Alessandro Cirillo Bruno Verdiglione, Henry James Fitzsimons, Antonio Velardo, Domenico Vitale, Carmelo Borrello, Francesco Iofrida, Antonino Iriti, Sebastiano Antonino Toscano.
The transaction Metropolis was taken March 5, 2013, when the tax police executed an arrest remand in prison against 20 people for various reasons acccusate of criminal association, fraudulent transfer of value and reinvestment of illegal capital, as well as the seizure of movable and immovable property, company and holiday parks with a total value of about 450 million Euros.
According to the prosecution the gangs Morabito and Aquino, through an extensive and complex network of Italian and foreign companies, would be able to guarantee, by force Mafia intimidation, the management, control and development of dozens of important and known tourist-residential property complexes, located in the most beautiful beach areas of the Calabria region.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 3:40 pm 

Thought it was all confiscated back in 2013

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

Report this post
PostPosted: August 30th, 2017, 8:08 am 

Daily mail Article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/holida ... attle.html

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15