A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jewel of the Sea
PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 11:31 am 

matthew wrote:
Not sure who you refer too ! but I made a tentative enquiry regarding the many unsold apartments earlier in the year and was advised by RDV that their recomended Lawyer was Zagami Law, a clear "conflict of interest" if that is the case for clients who are looking for impartial advice to try and recoup there deposits from earlier purchase s on this development in my opinion.

Good morning dear members,

Actually this is not real. Indeed RDV's lawyer is the Law Firm "Studio Romolo & Ruggiero" so for our law firm would be impossible to deal on the behalf of RDV!

Probably there was a misunderstanding. For JOTS we assist many private clients/buyers and NOT the company/seller. This can be easily proved by our buyers assisted by our Law Firm.

I wish you a Merry Christmas

Avvocato Paolo Zagami
www.zagamilaw.com

Report this post
PostPosted: December 26th, 2011, 3:36 pm 

Avvocato Paolo Zagami
Everyone knows that RDV's lawyer is the Law Firm "Studio Romolo & Ruggiero".
I think the point that Matthew was trying to make is that, if you ring up RDV as an interested buyer and tell them that your Independent Lawyer has advised against purchasing in JOTS, then RDV would recommend you to change your lawyer to Zagamilaw to get the purchase in JOTS done.
I see that you have chosen not to comment on Sue Pollard's post posted by London37.
May I ask, If a person who is unaware of this incalabria.com or the current depressing situation of JOTS, came to you to buy an apartment in Jewel of the sea(JOTS), would you act for him to purchase in JOTS or would you advise him against purchasing in JOTS? I believe that Law firms like IPLC, Michael Menato along with other Independent Lawyers were all advising clients against purchasing in JOTS as early as year 2008. They were ofcourse right in advising clients against purchasing in JOTS as early as 2008.
Is it right that your law firm and G/L were the only firm who were advising their clients to sign the new addendum as wanted by RDV, just a few months ago against the advice of most Independent Lawyers such as Avv.De Tullio. If the clients had signed the new addendum, they would have waived the right to sue the builder now.
What would your justification be in advising any new clients (who are not aware of current JOTS crisis) to purchase in JOTS? or are you currently advising new clients against purchasing in JOTS?.
Merry Christmas to you too.

Last edited by bellesanchez51 on May 7th, 2012, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 21st, 2012, 9:45 pm 

london37 wrote:
maguires wrote:
building recommences on JOTS in January 15th 2012!

The builder falsely promised us that hundreds of workers would start in
September 2010, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in October 2010,
but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in
November 2010, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in December 2010,
but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in
January 2011, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in February 2011,
but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in March 2011,
April 2011, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in May 2011, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that this flurry of work would start in June 2011,
but it did not take place and then he promised us that work would start in
July 2011, but work did not take place and then he promised us that work would start in August 2011,
but work did not take place and then he promised us that work would start in
September 2011, but work did not take place and then he promised us that work would start in October 2011. In October2011, RDV the builder, told us that a full agreement has been signed & sealed with a subcontractor who were happy to build and fund JOTS and work would start definitely by end of October2011. But work did not take place and then he promised us that work would start in November 2011, but work did not take place.

And finally RDV, the builder told us that he has managed to find another subcontractor who will fund and build JOTS and GUARANTEED THAT THE WORK WILL START BY:
15th December 2011..Yep, you guessed it. There is no work what so ever taking place.
Now the builder has promised the buyers that the work will start on
January 15th 2012

And yet again there is no work taking place todate, 21th January 2012

Report this post
PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 12:35 am 

Audrey2010 wrote:
london37 wrote:
maguires wrote:

September 2010, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in October 2010,
November 2010, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in December 2010,
January 2011, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in February 2011,
but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in March 2011,
April 2011, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that it would start in May 2011, but this flurry of work did not take place and then he promised us that this flurry of work would start in June 2011,
July 2011, but work did not take place and then he promised us that work would start in August 2011,
September 2011, but work did not take place and then he promised us that work would start in October 2011. In October2011, RDV the builder, told us that a full agreement has been signed & sealed with a subcontractor who were happy to build and fund JOTS and work would start definitely by end of October2011. But work did not take place and then he promised us that work would start in November 2011, but work did not take place.

And finally RDV, the builder told us that he has managed to find another subcontractor who will fund and build JOTS and GUARANTEED THAT THE WORK WILL START BY:
15th December 2011..Yep, you guessed it. There is no work what so ever taking place.
January 15th 2012

Most are still without a Building Loan Guarantee and there is still no work on the main site of Jewel of the sea...The promise by the builder,RDV, that work would start on January 15th was just another repeated false promise that has now been going on for years.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 9:23 am 

the 15th January was a sunday a funny day to resume building work.

Report this post
PostPosted: January 25th, 2012, 10:12 pm 

maguires wrote:
i think work has recommenced on jots. confirmation and evidence of that has to be confirmed by t team of representatives of buyers.

I won't be holding my breath !
There has been so many broken promises todate, it's laughable to think that this builder has got away with stringing buyers along for such a long time.

Our 50% deposit was paid in Feb 2007 (five years next month) unbelievable.
We have been lied to so many times along the way it's just not funny any more.

I have no trust in the Italian system or Italians in general from our experiences now for what it's worth ! I'm sorry I ever stepped foot in Calabria :( & hope at some stage that we can have some closure with this horrible mess.
I just hope the people responsible are held accountable at some stage in the future, but I'm not convinced.

It's been one hell of a roller coaster......not good for one's health.
Not recommended :(

Report this post
PostPosted: January 26th, 2012, 11:40 pm 

Well after 6 years you won't be able to sue any UK based Lawyer who advised you as your case will be time barred. Perhaps that is the intention.......string them along for another 12 months and they are off the hook!

Forget about Italian litigation (you'll still be doing that in another 10 years).

Sue any UK based professional advisor who acted for you in the UK courts for negligence (if at all possible). If this is your situation and you had done this some time ago then you will have already have your money back like so many.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 1st, 2012, 9:11 pm 

Audrey2010 wrote:
london37 wrote:
maguires wrote:

January 15th 2012

The builder promised that the work would start on 15th January 2012. However there is still no flurry of activity taking place to date 01/02/2012.

Think some buyers like Maguires are actively promoting JOTS by hiding its problems, , so the unsold units can be sold to unsuspecting buyers, in order for the builder to raise some badly needed finance to start some kind of real work on JOTS.
This forum may be the only website that is actually reporting the true problems of Jewel of the sea.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 1:54 am 

I wonder what Bank Guarantees, completion dates and Legal Fees are being offered this time to any other poor unsuspecting sod who make the same mistake because the Lawyers said everything was ok.
Buying off plan has always been risky even when the economy was good but this one like many others is off the Richter scale in my opinion.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 7:53 pm 

Maguires, There is no work going on as confirmed by buyers who drove past the main site day before yesterday. Apart from what you have heard from the builder, who has been stringing everyone along for years, where else have you heard this unreliable news about work on the main site progressing slowly?

Report this post
PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 7:33 pm 

As confirmed by buyers visiting the Jewel of the Sea site earlier today, there is still no flurry of activity taking place on the main site to date 08/02/2012.

The builder, RDV has already cancelled one meeting this month with a few selected buyers that was meant to have shown the progress. As there is no progress it will not be a surprise if RDV cancelled the the next meeting with buyers by the end of this February too.

Belle, please carry on updating us with the reliable information, like the way you have been doing in this forum.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 10:10 pm 

bellesanchez51, please continue posting as all your postings have now proved to be totally reliable.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 9:34 pm 

Did this ever get completed or anyone get their money back

Report this post
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2012, 2:01 pm 

Did not go down to JOTS this year, but did go up to san sostene which has had work done, some nearly completed. If you did complete your purchase you would be living in a building site is the major draw back there, no facilities we could see either, pool etc.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 14th, 2012, 12:57 pm 

Dear Ms Sanchez,

Forgive me for my late reply. I would love to explain you face to face my opinion and my position in order to JOTS situation since we are deeply aware of what happened and what's going on.

Hope to talk with you soon

Avvocato Paolo Zagami

bellesanchez51 wrote:
Avvocato Paolo Zagami
Everyone knows that RDV's lawyer is the Law Firm "Studio Romolo & Ruggiero".
I think the point that Matthew was trying to make is that, if you ring up RDV as an interested buyer and tell them that your Independent Lawyer has advised against purchasing in JOTS, then RDV would recommend you to change your lawyer to Zagamilaw to get the purchase in JOTS done.
I see that you have chosen not to comment on Sue Pollard's post posted by London37.
May I ask, If a person who is unaware of this incalabria.com or the current depressing situation of JOTS, came to you to buy an apartment in Jewel of the sea(JOTS), would you act for him to purchase in JOTS or would you advise him against purchasing in JOTS? I believe that Law firms like IPLC, Michael Menato along with other Independent Lawyers were all advising clients against purchasing in JOTS as early as year 2008. They were ofcourse right in advising clients against purchasing in JOTS as early as 2008.
Is it right that your law firm and G/L were the only firm who were advising their clients to sign the new addendum as wanted by RDV, just a few months ago against the advice of most Independent Lawyers such as Avv.De Tullio. If the clients had signed the new addendum, they would have waived the right to sue the builder now.
What would your justification be in advising any new clients (who are not aware of current JOTS crisis) to purchase in JOTS? or are you currently advising new clients against purchasing in JOTS?.
Merry Christmas to you too.

Report this post
PostPosted: October 12th, 2012, 1:38 pm 

Dear all,

I have been informed that a judgement has been passed in the court in Locri regarding the JOTS development, apparently requiring the developer to return the deposit paid on unbuilt properties.

Does anyone else have further information?

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 10:00 pm 

Michele MENATO successfully won the court case for his group in Locri against RDV(The builder) ,regarding the jewel of the sea nightmare, on the 26th of September 2012. The judge condemned RDV(The builder) and ordered RDV to pay back the buyers, the full deposit + reservation fees + interest from the time deposit was taken from buyers all those years ago + money towards the court fees.
I have not been in the other forum for a while, but heard (don’t know if it its true) that a buyer who works very closely with G&L and RDV was implying that Mediation before litigation was compulsory and was even willing to observe the mediation with the blessing of RDV and G&L. If he had attended such mediation to observe, in my opinion, he would be biased and would have falsley reported that such mediation was fair as such mediation would have BEEN PURELY FOR THE benefit OF G&L and RDV. Really hope buyers didn’t fall for that trap, as it would have just wasted their time and money just for the benefit of RDV and G&L...but then again, some BUYERS never learn and can never be helped! From my case hearing in Locri, Michele Menato proved that such mediation is never required as mediation before litigation is just voluntary and not necessary in any contractual case like ours and the undertaking of such a mediation would have only benefitted RDV and made much needed money for G&L.
It took just 2 years and 3 months to win the first case of JOTS NIGHTMARE on 26th of September. Hopefully, Michele Menato’s other batches will all be fast tracked and would be a lot faster and a lot cheaper. Those working closely with RDV and G&L on the other website were saying that RDV will plead "force majeure" and the case would be stressful and could take up to 10 years by saying negative and unture things about the Italian legal system and italian courts. Thankfully those working closely with RDV and G&L were totally and utterly wrong.
There is nothing wrong with Italian legal system. The case was so straight forward and all the bad things said by the supporters of RDV& G&L about how backward the italian legal system and courts were all false.
I have always had a lot of respect Michele Menato as he was the first to advise buyers against buying in jewel of the sea as early as year 2008 after he had done his due diligence. . Michele Menato’s firm are experts in English law as well as Italian Law.
By the way, those in Michele Menato’s batch wants those who wants to complete in Jots to complete. Heard that there was one who completed in Emerald intending to make it their permanent residency. Some are saying that you are not allowed to make it their permanent residency as its only meant to be holiday/tourist home. Really hope that no one reports this person!.
Those who don’t want to complete in JOTS and wants to fight to get their deposit back (by not being scammed into entering mediation for the benefit of RDV & G+L) can contact:
Michele MENATO
Partner
B&M Law LLP

Tel: 02074892043
Fax: 02074892001
E-mail: michelem@bandmlaw.co.uk or michelem@italianlawyer.co.uk

PS
Michele Menato, you REALLY are a true dedicated expert in your field. Thank you so very much Michele for letting us know and proving to us that there is nothing wrong with the Italian legal system or the italian courts or any of the Italian judges . Thanks to you, my love for Italy is kind of coming back!!

Last edited by admin on December 16th, 2012, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Removed mobile number as per request.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 8:12 am 

I understand that Mr Neale Johnson has posted the following on the JOTs forum.

As I reported last week, Gabriele Giambrone was found accountable by the SDT on various matters affecting his inclusion on the Register of European Lawyers. The SDT did, as I suggested, conclude that there were grounds for the withdrawal of his registration from the REL This withdrawal apparently effects his ability to trade in the UK only, and on matters affecting UK law only. In effect, this has been the case since 2009, when he was suspended pending the outcome of investigations by the SRA. He remains an Avvocato, and is able to trade as such.

The accusations made against him were mainly historic dating back to 2007, have been previously well reported, and are non JOTS related. Of the 20 or so accusations, only 8 were proved. The main accusations related to poor accounting practices in 2007, which Giambrone claimed were due to a major server failure, but for which as the senior Partner, he has always readily accepted responsibility to the SRA. Two other partners included in the action received minimal fines, as they had never been involved in any business in the UK, but were partners in the firm at the time. In any professional business where client money is involved, proper accounting practices are, of course, of paramount importance. There is the possibility of an appeal.

The SRA did not suggest that any client or former client had lost money as a consequence.

The decision does not affect any JOTS buyer who has completed, or G&L's ability to act for current clients still hoping to do so
.”

Much of this information is incorrect.

I understand Mr Johnson to be a client of Mr Giambrone and a JOTs buyer and that he did not attend the hearings at the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal. He is therefore relying on the word of Mr Giambrone.

The Tribunal did not accept the word of Mr Giambrone. It would be my suggestion that his clients dont either and in order to protect their own interests that each write a letter to Mr Giambrone to clarify the exact legal position following the verdict in relation to their own individual retainer which I assume, like most others, originated in London.

The SRA reviewed some 150 files, including Jewel of the Sea and presented 'lead cases' on Pizzo Beach Club (VFI) and San Rocco II (Italian Connection) to identify how Mr Giambrone how had wronged his clients.

I understand also, not unsurprisingly, that there are proposed forum changes. I would urge all members of that forum to join the Incalabria/Selective Italy forum to be kept fully updated on the current situation.

I do so hope Mr Giambrone appeals to the High Court in London. If he does, you should definitely book your ticket as it is likely to be the best show in town. Unfortunately I consider it unlikely.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 1:45 pm 

Neale Johnson who calls himself the JOTS buyer’s representative was never elected as a buyer’s representative.
Neale Johnson who works very closely with G&L and RDV has introduced forum changes as a result or hardly anyone completing or wanting to in jewel of the sea. To date, it is believed, only a handful of buyers have bothered to complete. Some of proposed forum changes introduced by Neale include:
1) Current members of the forum who are bringing litigation action against G&L and RDV will be kicked out the forum
2) Neale has started to put pressure on buyers to complete by stating that only those who have completed or have intention to complete will be included in the forum. Neale wants those who intend to complete to put in writing by email their full name, area of jots and the apartment number they are intending to buy, their email address and the forum user name. It is widely believed that this information will then be passed to RDV, who can insist that the buyer had put in writing the intention to complete, so they have to complete.
Yesterday, when I logged into that forum, it was clear that Neale also intends to ban the original reps who were joint founders and helped him set up jots forum. Neale posted “the original area reps have revoked their contracts, or are at least in litigation, and have been for some time. I have earned the right to take this action, as being one of the founders of the current Forum”
RDV has now parted with their building contractor who was involved in building the recent few blocks of JEWEL OF THE SEA. Therefore the level of work taking place is now substantially reduced making buyers wonder if any further build will be completed. First there was a rumor that the contractor had walked out because they were not paid , but then it was confirmed by Neale that “RDV found their work standards and time performance unacceptable. RDV saw/felt that the contractor they had employed to do the job, was not complying in terms of both quality and time and as to what was expected of them”…and later he quickly changed the reason for dismissing the contractor to “Stipulated deadlines for the completion of work were continually missed”.
The forum jots-calabria.info paints a picture that such action has been taken by Neale due to very low level of completion and the developer finding it very difficult to sell Jewel of the Sea outside. It is also clear that Neale feels necessary steps had to be takenin light of the recent court success by mr Minasi against RDV, Mr Minato against RDV and the recent success of SDT against G&L giving hopes to buyers of Jewel of the Sea to get their deposit back. Neale has always indicated in the forum that any action against RDV and G&L would fail and encouraged witch hunt against those who suggested other wise.
The forum run by Neale also accuses incalabria.com of witch hunt and neale posted in his forum last night that in the interest of fairness he will post a balanced view by getting Giambrone to respond to the postings and SDT rulings.
Jewel of the sea has become a true nightmare from hell. First the buyers had nightmare with the agent, then it was the builder, then it was our own lawyer and the nightmare now continues with the a feeling that a fellow buyer is working with the builder and the guilty lawyer to put wool over the buyer's eyes.
Have to agree that most of the information of Neale Johnson is inaccurate and can’t be relied on, which is why he has taken steps to ban from his website, those who disagrees with him or corrects him. Also have to agree that members of that forum should join the Incalabria/Selective Italy forum to be kept fully updated on the current situation.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2013, 2:48 pm 

Obviously as Mr Johnson is a client, his interests are currently largely affected and so he is by all means welcome to come on to this forum where open dialogue is encouraged and where he can seek to find out the true position, rather than rely on the word of Mr Giambrone who is quite clearly determined to pull the wool over his eyes.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 7th, 2013, 8:28 am 

Neale who wants to ban members in the other forum (jots-calabria.info ) who are involved in litigation against G&L and RDV has got Mr Giambrone to comment on Lavender's post. Neale is clearly not happy about anyone who posts anything negative about G&L in the forum he runs. As recently as in the last few days, a buyer was threatend with punishment by Neale for posting Lavender's comments about G&L.

Neale who runs jots-calabria.info invited mr Giambrone to respond to findings of the recent Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal.

Giambrone’S response below is from jots-calabria.info :

"Dear Neale

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to the allegations set out in the JOTS forum.

We are happy that this investigation has now ended as we can now concentrate in our efforts to continue growing the firm in Italy and internationally. We would like to thank Will Sefton at RPC and Simon Monty QC for their assistance on this matter.

The events in question were from many years ago (2006-2007) which were caused by a server crash in September 2007 which the firm worked incredibly hard to rectify. The SRA did not suggest that any client or former client had lost money as a consequence and the firm candidly admitted from the outset that some accounting mistakes were made: this was partly due to our relative inexperience to comply with UK accounting standards and to the rapid growth of the firm during the booming years of the Calabrian property market, which caught us all by surprise.

The findings of the SDT do not have any material impact on the current operations of Giambrone Law in Italy since the London office has been closed in April 2009. We currently represent over 300 buyers in Jewel of the Sea and since November last year, clients have started completing their Emerald purchases with positive feedback. Almost all buyers in Beachfront have now moved in and we keep monitoring the progress of the construction work on a regular basis.

Tomorrow (07/02/2013) we will meet with Mr Cuppari and Mr Romolo in our Head Office in Palermo and will circulate a further Status Update to all JOTS buyers shortly afterwards. As always, our relationship with Mr Cuppari and his lawyer remain cordial but frank, as we believe that it is in our clients’ interest to maintain an open and honest dialogue with RDV and its contractors via their legal team.

The SDT findings included the withdrawal of the registration as REL for Mr Giambrone and two minor fines of £2000 for the other respondents. For the avoidance of any doubt, we wish to make it absolutely clear that it is not true that Mr. Giambrone was struck off by the SDT and to suggest otherwise, would be grossly misleading and deceitful. Clearly, those who have made those remarks or suggestions will be responsible for their own actions as we believe that freedom of speech does not mean “freedom of ruining someone else’s reputation” by posting defamatory remarks.

Mr. Giambrone will continue to operate as an Italian “avvocato” and Managing Partner of Giambrone Law. He does not have any immediate plans to re-apply for registration as Registered European Lawyer with the SRA (although he is at liberty to do so) as he is no longer practicing in London on a permanent basis and prefers to focus on his professional activity in Italy.

We cannot comment further until the SDT publishes its detailed reasons.

Since the events complained of, the firm has completely restructured and has now become a leading Italian practice in the international context, with over 80 staff in 5 offices. We have recently opened a new representative office in Brancaleone to assist our clients buying in JOTS and in January, we have been nominated “Best Overall Italian Law Firm for 2012” by the readers of Acquisition International."

Report this post
PostPosted: February 7th, 2013, 6:19 pm 

http://www.thelawyer.com/sdt-removes-it ... 32.article

the full Judgment is due to be published on the Solicitors site in due course. I looked on the Judgment site and the latest one was for December 2012 so I think they will take the full 7 weeks to publish the Judgment.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 8th, 2013, 11:28 am 

The SRA said: “Crucially it was determined by the tribunal, in respect of evidence relied upon by Mr Giambrone that an employee of his firm had obtained verbal consent from clients permitting the release of deposit monies, that no such conversations had taken place and no prior consent from clients had been obtained before their deposit monies had been sent to developers abroad."

http://www.legalfutures.co.uk/latest-ne ... nveyancing

The employee referred to is "Brendan Dine"

Report this post
PostPosted: February 11th, 2013, 7:31 pm 

Simon Chambers case against Giambrone on 18th Feb 2013

https://onlineservices.courtsni.gov.uk/ ... Lists.aspx

Case is listed @ 10:30 on 18 Feb in the High Court, Royal Courts of Justice (Commercial List),

COMMERCIAL LIST at ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE on 18 Feb 2013

10:30 FOR HEARING

12/030273 ROBERT GORDON MARTIN & HEATHER ELAINE MARTIN & OTHERS (named in the Schedule attached hereto)& Plaintiffs& V& ALLESSANDRA BELLANCA, ANNA CINZIA D'ARPA and GABRIELE GIAMBRONEpractising as GIAMBRONE & LAW, SOLICITORS & EUROPEAN LAWYERS& Defendants

11/096121 JAMES CRAVEN, CAROLINE CRAVEN & OTHERS V BELLANCA ALESSANDRA PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS AND EUROPEAN LAWYERS, D'ARPA ANNA CINZIA PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS & EUROPEAN LAWYERS, GIAMBRONE GABRIELE PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS & EUROPEAN LAWYERS

Best of luck to Simon Chambers on behalf of all the buyers who feel let down by investing in this failed project.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 12th, 2013, 10:08 am 

Interesting timing - it all seems to be coming together now.

Minced meat comes to mind!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 10:35 am 

In case anyone on the Jewel of the Sea forum is still in any doubt, this is the news release from the SRA's website (http://www.sra.org.uk/sra/news/press/su ... wyers.page)

8 February 2013

Three Italian lawyers have been found to have committed a host of accounting irregularities while acting for clients in overseas property deals.

The prosecution was brought by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) as the trio had seriously breached the professional code of conduct and Accounts Rules. The case was heard by the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal over five days in January, and the tribunal delivered its sanctions on Friday 1 February.

Gabriele Michael Giambrone, Anna Cinzia D’Arpa and Allessandra Bellanca of firm Giambrone Law LLP, based in Essex Street, London faced a number of allegations during the hearing. The Tribunal considered the 14 allegations that the SRA pursued against each of the three and found, in respect of Gabriele Michael Giambrone, 12 proven.

The Tribunal found 8 proven against both Anna Cinzia D’Arpa and Allessandra Bellanca. Giambrone’s name was ordered to be withdrawn from the SRA’s Register of European Lawyers, while D'Arpa and Bellanca were fined £2,000 each. Giambrone was ordered to pay costs of £70,000.

The Tribunal found Giambrone to be primarily responsible for the misconduct, which arose from this bulk conveyancing practice acting on behalf of clients purchasing properties abroad, primarily in Italy, from 2006 onwards. The breaches were discovered following SRA investigations, with the Tribunal describing the firm's accounts as a “shambles”.

The SRA discovered client files had been sent out of the country to Italy without obtaining informed consent from clients beforehand. Giambrone received clients’ deposit monies associated with their purchase of foreign, off-plan properties. He then released these deposits to developers in Italy when there were no bank guarantees in place to protect client funds and no contracts had been exchanged, despite prior express promises to clients to that effect.

Crucially it was determined by the Tribunal, in respect of evidence relied upon by Mr Giambrone that an employee of his firm had obtained verbal consent from clients permitting the release of deposit monies, that no such conversations had taken place and no prior consent from clients had been obtained before their deposit monies had been sent to developers abroad. The Tribunal described all of this as serious and found Giambrone’s explanation in response to these allegations to be unsatisfactory and said that he had not been frank, offering a self-serving account to the Tribunal.

David Middleton, SRA Executive Director, said: "We welcome the decision of the SDT in what was a heavily contested case. This case sends a message that clients’ interests must be protected at all times.”

Report this post
PostPosted: February 24th, 2013, 12:51 pm 

bellesanchez51 wrote:
Simon Chambers case against Giambrone on 18th Feb 2013

Case is listed @ 10:30 on 18 Feb in the High Court, Royal Courts of Justice (Commercial List),

COMMERCIAL LIST at ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE on 18 Feb 2013

10:30 FOR HEARING

12/030273 ROBERT GORDON MARTIN & HEATHER ELAINE MARTIN & OTHERS (named in the Schedule attached hereto)& Plaintiffs& V& ALLESSANDRA BELLANCA, ANNA CINZIA D'ARPA and GABRIELE GIAMBRONEpractising as GIAMBRONE & LAW, SOLICITORS & EUROPEAN LAWYERS& Defendants

11/096121 JAMES CRAVEN, CAROLINE CRAVEN & OTHERS V BELLANCA ALESSANDRA PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS AND EUROPEAN LAWYERS, D'ARPA ANNA CINZIA PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS & EUROPEAN LAWYERS, GIAMBRONE GABRIELE PRACTISING AS GIAMBRONE & LAW SOLICITORS & EUROPEAN LAWYERS

Best of luck to Simon Chambers on behalf of all the buyers who feel let down by investing in this failed project.

http://www.u.tv/News/Case-won-over-home ... c14990647c
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 87580.html

G&L has finally admitted liability in El Carbe case where according to the BBC article action was brought against them claiming Mr Giambrone operated under a conflict of interest; did not properly advise the investors and released their money to a third party agent without authority. It was also alleged that the defendants breached their professional duty to protect the deposits.........Sounds very similar to JOTS case against G&L doesn't it?..SDT finding G&L guilty earlier must have certainly played a major part in G&L deciding to concede liability just ahead of the planned trial.

The “Jewel of the Sea” case heard in the same court was adjourned till March 2013.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 24th, 2013, 7:12 pm 

Given the decision by the SDT and this latest admission of liability and that El Caribe and JOTs are similar type of developments, it would be sensible for JOTs buyers still instructing Mr Giambrone, to ask to see a copy of his professional idemnity policy.

Report this post
PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 7:25 pm 

Mr Giambrone now appears to have had his assets frozen by the High Court in Belfast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21575853

Report this post
PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 11:29 pm 

Dennis Onstenk wrote:

Minced meat comes to mind!

Thats about the size of it Dennis!

Since Mr Giambrone has not responded to Mr Johnson's invitation on the JOTs Forum to pass comment on the current situation in Belfast, for the benefit of his members, I will update this forum for the benefit of all Giambrone JOTs clients, past and present.

On Friday, Simon Chambers of Russell & Co obtained freezing orders against Giambrone and the insurers (AIG). This was done ex parte and without notice.

The effect of the orders are that:

(1) neither GG nor the insurers can touch money to the value of the claim; and

(2) they have to swear affidavits of assets, informing the courts what monies they have got and where they are currently located.

That a major insurer has had their assets frozen and are being forced into the courts clearly indicates that there are some very serious problems.

Perhaps Mr Johnson might take this opportunity to once again invite Mr Giambrone to explain himself and to give a much clearer explanation of the nature of the hearing scheduled to take place on 14th March in relation to the Jewel on the Sea development.

Lavender!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 12:50 am 

Thank you Lavender, for the updates. What do you think are the consequences if his asses are abroad, say in Italy?

Report this post
PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 12:56 am 

That's one for the lawyers Dennis - it's a 'Mareva Injunction'

Report this post
PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 7:44 am 

Oops. I wondered how they were going to try and get the judgment monies. Hopefully this means they will. Have other lawyers done this for their clients? If not I would be on the phone!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 10:37 am 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Have only seen these updated postings today as you don't see JoT's unless you are logged in.
Good to hear that Jot's & El Caribe buyers have made progress with their court cases. Congratulations for this and your persistence.
I just hope that you will get your dues from the lawyers and developers.
With the huge development that has already taken place at JoT's when I visited there some years ago will they still be going on with this project, albeit with possibly new developers?
It would be awful if it was left as it is scarring the hillside.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 5:09 pm 

Cuppari arrested. JOTS now seized by authorities.

At the buyer's meeting recently Cuppari's men were looking to sell to innocent buyers with out any knowlege of jots history. They claimed that they could market it to vodka drinking russians (their words), the French in Paris and the Germans in Berlin..Can we have incalabria.com in russian, french and german to help innocent victims?!..They were also giving out a number of false information at the meeting such as there were 95 workers in Emerald and 30 in ruby to encourage naive buyers to complete. Neale's wife then stood up and wanted to take down the names of the people who wanted to complete. They were also talking buyers into applying for a mortgage through barclays in Italy, so it would make the builder look good, as he wanted banks to have faith in him. They once again admitted that the old contractors, the ciaccia brothers did not do a good job. A few months ago, they admitted that their quality of work was poor. The other forum run by Neale did try very hard to cover this.

It seems clear why Neale Johnson who runs the other forum banned some of its main contributors recently for giving buyer's accurate information about the JOTS disaster. It was reported by some shocked buyers on Sunday that Neale Johnson and his wife was seen recently coming out of a restaurant with Cuppari, Cuppari's lawyer Romolo and Mr Giamborne's representative Mr Riccardo. Is this true? May be Neale Johnson can confirm this.

Is Neale now going to apologise for leading so many buyers up the wrong path in this failed disaster or has he gone into hiding?

http://multimedia.gdf.gov.it/video/Atti ... i-di-euro/

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 6:10 pm 

http://www.mnews.it/2013/03/operazione- ... te-20.html
you can read about police operation called "Metropolis". All companies with all Holiday villages were subject to seizure

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 8:53 pm 

BBC Article on the arrest of Harry Fitzsimons

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21675450

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 9:50 pm 

Quote:
It seems clear why Neale Johnson who runs the other forum banned some of its main contributors recently for giving buyer's accurate information about the JOTS disaster. It was reported by some shocked buyers on Sunday that Neale Johnson and his wife was seen recently coming out of a restaurant with Cuppari, Cuppari's lawyer Romolo and Mr Giamborne's representative Mr Riccardo. Is this true? May be Neale Johnson can confirm this.

Absolute fabrication

Report this post
PostPosted: March 5th, 2013, 11:39 pm 

Neale wrote:
Quote:

Absolute fabrication

Neale

Can you also confirm that you and your wife have never received any kind of payment towards your expenses for your holidays or your visit to italy from Cuppari or any of Cuppari's men or any of his organisations.

Your return from your visits to Italy always resulted in promoting jewel of the sea with inaccurate information with facts distorted.

It is now clear that you may have lead foolish buyers into trusting Cuppari and Giambrone to their completion with disastrous consequence awaiting them. If Cuppari was arrested next week instead of today, you would have advised more foolish buyers to part with their money and into completion against the advice of original Reps who advised that Giamborne and Cuppari should never be trusted. Those original area reps who clearly mentioned that Cuppari and Gaimbrone should not be trusted were all punished by you with a ban from the forum or ban from certain sections. All the ones you disagreed with have all proven to be right, which is why you decided to ban them from your new section.

Infact, can you confirm that you and your wife have never ever received any payments of any kind or gifts or treats or any promise of any payment or gift for the future from any of Cuppari's men or organisations.

This is very serious. Its your chance to come clean now by giving everyone the right information.

Last edited by SuePollard on March 7th, 2013, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 7th, 2013, 7:41 pm 

The other JOTS website is still not showing the full picture in their news section to the public regarding JOTS. Thought they had a duty to put factual information such as the developer of JOTS is under arrest and the assets of the developer is now frozen by the authorities.

http://jots-calabria.info/news/

Are the properties in JOTS still being/going to be marketed in Russia, Paris and Berlin as mentioned at the meeting? iIs that why the recent events are not mentioned in the public news section of the forum? Hasn’t there been enough damage caused as a result of facts being hidden? So put the right information NOW including all the recent events of JOTS in the public section of the forum.

G&L have started sending the letter below to all their clients in JOTS:

"Dear Client

We write with reference to the above matter and to provide you with a general update in respect of your purchase in Jewel of the Sea.

We have recently learnt that investigations are being conducted into the source of financing behind several developments in Calabria, including the Jewel of the Sea development. As part of the investigations, the property developers’ assets have been frozen, which means that the remaining construction on Jewel of the Sea may be suspended.

The majority of the source of our information is online news articles so we are duty bound to exercise extreme caution before reaching any conclusions: whilst these investigations are under way, it is not possible to offer any form of substantive advice save for the fact that we can reassure you that our lawyers are treating this matter with the utmost urgency and importance.

In similar circumstances, the Court has the power to appoint one or more “amministratori giudiziari” (judicial administrators) whose main duty is to keep the Court informed in respect of the developer’s financial affairs whilst at the same time attempting to continue the operations of the business. We have contacted the Court in Reggio and are awaiting to find out the details of the judicial administrator for Jewel of the Sea in order to make immediate contact with him/her.

Whilst these news stories may be a cause of serious concern to all our clients, most of whom simply wished to purchase a second home by the sea in one of the most undiscovered parts of Southern Italy at the time, we wish to reiterate that:

1. These allegations are yet to be proven so it is important to treat everything that you may read in the news with caution. These articles are not court judgments.

2. If these allegations are proven, we have systems in place in Italy in the legal process to protect bona fide buyers in events with which you are neither directly involved nor privy to.

As your lawyers, we will do everything in our power to make sure that the impact of these investigations will not affect our clients. However, we cannot predict what the outcome of any trial resulting from these investigations will be. We are working in concert with several other law firms whose clients’ purchases are potentially also affected, to gain a fuller understanding of the situation. We hope that any suspension to the construction work at Jewel of the Sea will be temporary.

We have been informed (but have not been able to verify the source) that work on site is continuing. However, in our view this is unlikely, as normally freezing orders of this kind hold are lifted as individuals are ruled out of the investigation.

We are of course fully co-operating with the authorities and have been asked to disclose copies of all preliminary contracts and financial transactions to the investigators. Our involvement with these investigations, as we understand it, is simply due to the fact that, as we represent the majority of buyers in both Jewel of the Sea and on other Calabrian developments, we have been asked by the investigating authorities to provide them with documents which may assist them in their current investigations. We are not the subject of those investigations.

For the clients who have already completed in Beachfront and Emerald, we believe that your position should not be affected if you can prove that you are bona fide buyers. However, we must stress once again that this update is not meant to offer definite legal advice as we do not have sufficient information of the facts in order to be able to advise you fully. We hope to be able to give you a further update on this as soon as possible.

We will be making our team available to answer any questions that you may have now, as well as of course to provide any support needed once the situation has been clarified.”

Report this post
PostPosted: March 11th, 2013, 5:07 pm 

[quote="SuePollard"]... the property developers’ assets have been frozen, which means that the remaining construction on Jewel of the Sea may be suspended.

.....We are not the subject of those investigations.

quote]

Hmmm, the Irish Times outed Giambrone as a property developer, which I understand was in relation to Jewel of the Sea. On this basis, perhaps the Italian authorities should be freezing his assets too? This would be in addition to the injunction taken out in Belfast....

Report this post
PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 11:26 am 

Dear all,

do people who have done their notary act at Jewel of the Sea have access to their apartments? Does anyone know of a contact person who can inform and advise buyers?

I have been contacted by the Norwegian embassy with these questions, can anyone help?

Thank you in advance,

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 12:01 pm 

There is a post on the Jots site today from an employee of RDV stating that anyone who has completed on their apartment has full access to it and there are, in fact, some owners staying there at the moment. Hope this helps!

Report this post
PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 7:12 pm 

Can anyone trust anything an employee of RDV might say Linny?

http://belfastmediagroup.com/harry-denies-mafia-claims/

“The project has some problems, but we are still building,” said Mr Fitzsimons"

Report this post
PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 10:15 am 

Harry has been arrested in Senegal.

Game over VFI

Report this post
PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 11:16 am 

Only a Google translate until the British and Irish media pick the story up

The good reputation of the Senegalese police remains intact. The Criminal Investigations Division has picked a big fish. Henry James Fitzsimons 63 years emblematic figure of the Italian mafia, the Ndrangheta Calender charged with laundering money from the Irish terrorist group arrested in Senegal, particularly in Dakar. The Kingpin was nevertheless sought by police worldwide. He was quietly gathered last Friday and brought under escort to the stop Rebeuss House by the newspaper Liberation. The elements of the Criminal Investigation Division (DIC) acted after two international arrest warrants issued by Italian judges in March to money laundering, conspiracy, organized crime etc.. Henry James Fitzsimons is heavily involved in the operations of money laundering from organized crime and real estate among others. One of the leaders of the mafia group also treasurer of the famous terrorist organization Irish Republican Army (Ira) or Irish Republican Army, which bloodied the UK for decades (60 to 80), has just fallen in the Senegalese capital

http://www.rewmi.com/Henry-James-Fitzsi ... 76641.html

Report this post
PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 12:21 am 

Antonio Velardo arrested around the same time In Belize. Earlier reports that he had been arrested were not true. He was hiding on his yacht.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 17th, 2013, 1:38 am 

Harry Fitzsimmons is a convicted former IRA terrorist fact

Report this post
PostPosted: November 4th, 2013, 11:44 pm 

matthew wrote:
Harry Fitzsimmons is a convicted former IRA terrorist fact

Will be very interesting to watch "Spotlight" tomorrow (Tuesday, 5th November) @ 10:35pm on BBC One Northern Ireland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03gtbm8

Report this post
PostPosted: November 5th, 2013, 2:49 pm 

Also on Sky Channel 953 and Virgin 863

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next